Is Robbie Anderson Underrated

JetBlue

So I'm listening to Anita Marks on ESPNNY Radio (as much as I could stand) and she is going on and on about how the Jets have no receivers and that Anderson would be the Giants 4 or 5 receiver, if he even made the team.   While what she said may be true, it doesn't take away the fact that Anderson in a year or two he may turn out to be better every receiver on that team not named Odel Beckham Jr. 

It reminds me of Chrebet and thinking how many teams would have started him after his rookie year.  Probably none even he played very well as an undrafted rookie.  He just wasn't a "name" or drafted high enough.   He got a chance to play because there was no other "big name" big name in front of him and the same applies to Anderson.  He was fortunate that Decker got hurt and he took full advantage (too bad he had noodle armed Fitz throwing to him) 42 receptions, 587 yards , 14 ypc with 2 TDs (could easily have been 5 or more) was pretty impressive all things considered.   Now with a full season under his belt and quarterbacks who can all throw the ball down the field, I think he is going to have an excellent season.   If Peake, Steward or Hansen can step up along with our TE tandem of ASJ and Leggett, Anderson may get a chance to really shine.    We could be looking at Chrebet 2.0 in terms of a player coming out of nowhere and making an impact.   I am looking forward to watching him this season. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, gEYno said:

Not everything is about stats, but the dude has caught an NFL football under 50 times.  And, he's about to be doing it as the #1 WR.

you realize he was an undrafted rookie, playing on team with struggling quarterback/quarterbacks all season right?  No one expected him to do anything.  

YES!!!!!!

I have stated this many times before.  Robby has a very high ceiling.  He is skinny.  So what?!?!

NFL skill position offensive players come in all shapes and sizes.

WRs; Guys as big as Kelvin Benjamin and Terrell Owens.  Some as little as Steve Smith Jr., TY Hilton, and Wayne Chrebet.

A WR's effectiveness is based on creating separation. Something Robby does with seemingly little effort.  He is tall, blazing fast, and changes direction fluidly.  As we saw last year, he will have some big games. Smart teams, like New England did last year, will do everything they can to take him away.   He is the Jets best offensive weapon, Quincy Enunwa or not.  Teams didnt fear QE, they fear Robby because he is the only player that can help the Jets score quickly instead of trying to sustain long drives, which they will struggle mightily to do.  Robby is not a "gimmick or one-trick pony."  He is going to catch passes on a variety of routes simply because teams will provide extra cushion because they fear his 9 routes and double moves.

FTR;  RBs are the same thing; Guys as big as Brandon Jacobs and Jerome Bettis.  As small as Darren Sproles and Danny Woodhead.  Some are fast.  Some are quick. Some are powerful.  Some have all 3.  Their effectiveness is judged on gaining positive yardage.  That's all that matters.

10 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

YES!!!!!!

I have stated this many times before.  Robby has a very high ceiling.  He is skinny.  So what?!?!

WRs; Guys as big as Kelvin Benjamin and Terrell Owens.  Some as little as Steve Smith Jr., TY Hilton, and Wayne Chrebet.

A WR's effectiveness is based on creating separation. Something Robby does with seemingly little effort.  He is tall, blazing fast, and changes direction fluidly.  As we saw last year, he will have some big games. Smart teams, like New England did last year, will do everything they can to take him away.   He is the Jets best offensive weapon, Quincy Enunwa or not.  Teams didnt fear QE, they fear Robby because he is the only player that can help the Jets score quickly instead of trying to sustain long drives, which they will struggle mightily to do.  Robby is not a "gimmick or one-trick pony."  He is going to catch passes on a variety of routes simply because teams will provide extra cushion because they fear his 9 routes and double moves.

FTR;  RBs are the same thing; Guys as big as Brandon Jacobs and Jerome Bettis.  As small as Darren Sproles and Danny Woodhead.  Some are fast.  Some are quick. Some are powerful.  Some have all 3.  Their effectiveness is judged on gaining positive yardage.  That's all that matters.

Exactly, I mean you look at Marvin Harrison for example, he wasn't exactly the incredible Hulk or anything.  Anderson will go down as one of the best receivers from the 2016 draft.  the fact he went undrafted is still hard to comprehend.  You would have thought someone would have taken a chance just on his speed alone. 

59 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Anderson would be the Giants 4 or 5 receiver, if he even made the team.

Same old same old NY sports reporters lazy ass narrative.  Jets bad, Giants good. 

They love to say our players have zero talent or knock them down until they sign with the cross town rivals.  Then it's WOW.  "How could the Jets have mismanaged this awesome talent for so long?" If Geno makes their team over Johnson, it will be more of that..."look at what a great organization the Giants are, Geno is making real strides, he might make it just yet, just needed real coaching, real development, blah blah blah."  If he gets cut, it's "YOU SEE? Jets players are just garbage and it's amazing how he was their starter, but he's not good enough to even make the great, fantastic, classy....ny football giants."

As if we still need the clarification.  The original, NY baseball Giants left town how many decades ago?  But that organization somehow found a way to take the fact that they copied/stole the name of the great NY baseball franchise in the 20s to market to the fanbase and turned it into some douchey, smarmy marketing hook to keep the word football in their name.  Brilliant marketing job by those sleazy Mara's.  They get to associate all the good feelings of the word Football and integrate INTO their name....and all because they had zero originality from day one. 

End rant.

53 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

you realize he was an undrafted rookie, playing on team with struggling quarterback/quarterbacks all season right?  No one expected him to do anything.  

I do.  But, today, he's a 1-dimensional home-run threat who's proven nothing at all, including that he can take on the responsibilities of a #1 WR.  The question wasn't, is Robbie Anderson better than expected?  To which, I think we'd all agree, yes.  The question was is he underrated, and at this point, by Jets fans, he's probably vastly overrated.

Just now, gEYno said:

I do.  But, today, he's a 1-dimensional home-run threat who's proven nothing at all, including that he can take on the responsibilities of a #1 WR.  The question wasn't, is Robbie Anderson better than expected?  To which, I think we'd all agree, yes.  The question was is he underrated, and at this point, by Jets fans, he's probably vastly overrated.

In your opinion. I don't see him that way at all. I see him being used in more ways now that he has a season under his belt and a more imaginative and creative OC running the offense,.  As far as overrated or underrated, I put that there for healthy debate but one thing I feel for certain is he is going to surpise a lot of people who think he is a "one trick pony" as I keep seeing. 

4 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

In your opinion. I don't see him that way at all. I see him being used in more ways now that he has a season under his belt and a more imaginative and creative OC running the offense,.  As far as overrated or underrated, I put that there for healthy debate but one thing I feel for certain is he is going to surpise a lot of people who think he is a "one trick pony" as I keep seeing. 

All of this may be true, but until he's actually accomplished anything, hard sell to call him underrated.  Potential =/= underrated.

I think he is underrated in that he went undrafted.  He is talented no doubt.  I'm just concerned that his small frame won't make him an every down #1 or #2 receiver.  There is a reason WRs like Brandon Marshall have massive muscular bodies.  They have the mass and strength to go against top DBs.  I just don't think Robbie has the frame to be an every down receiver.  He is more of a guy you bring in for a go route to take advantage of his elite speed.

I hope I am wrong.  I want Robbie to kill it this year!

5 minutes ago, afjetsfan said:

I think he is underrated in that he went undrafted.  He is talented no doubt.  I'm just concerned that his small frame won't make him an every down #1 or #2 receiver.  There is a reason WRs like Brandon Marshall have massive muscular bodies.  They have the mass and strength to go against top DBs.  I just don't think Robbie has the frame to be an every down receiver.  He is more of a guy you bring in for a go route to take advantage of his elite speed.

I hope I am wrong.  I want Robbie to kill it this year!

Randy Moss had a small frame and is way better Reciever than Marshall . Not Saying Robbie is Moss

If Robbie Anderson had at least a competent QB last year, I think he breaks out in a big way.  The cut ups @win4ever would post had Anderson open all over the field.  He was open, a lot and either never saw the ball or was just missed.  Fitz couldn't get it to him and would settle for the easier throws.  And Petty missed him a few times that were walk in untouched type TDs.  The kid could have had a big year.

Underrated?  Maybe but that's because I don't know if he's rated, like the rest of the receiving core. 

5 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Randy Moss had a small frame and is way better Reciever than Marshall . Not Saying Robbie is Moss

Moss is listed as 6'4" 210 or 215 lbs.

Anderson is listed as 20-25 lbs. shy of that weight.  Not really a valid comp.

He's somewhere between Louis Orr and Randy Moss.

25 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Marvin Harrison was not nearly as big as Anderson is 

27 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Then how bout Desean Jackson he seem do to just fine with his weight and he is lighter than Robbie . Speed kills and Robbie has plenty of it 

Guys...I'm not knocking RA.  But if you are going to use a comp, just try to be in the ballpark height and weight-wise.  Harrison and Jackson are similar weights but quite a bit shorter.  Anderson is thin, which doesn't mean he can't be really good.  But there aren't many guys with his build in the league.

4 hours ago, RoadFan said:

YES!!!!!!

moss was 6-4 and 215.  harold carmichael was 6-8 and 225. keyshawn was 6-4 and 212. al toon was 6-4 and 205. robbie is 6-3 and 190.  it's conceivable that he'll be able to add 10 or 20 lbs over a couple of seasons and he'll be right there weight wise.  as long as the extra weight doesn't impact his speed or leaping, he will be able to play the position well.  he just needs to keep his head on straight. some of the catches he made last season shows he has a good nose for the ball and some pretty exceptional leaping ability.

54 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Guys...I'm not knocking RA.  But if you are going to use a comp, just try to be in the ballpark height and weight-wise.  Harrison and Jackson are similar weights but quite a bit shorter.  Anderson is thin, which doesn't mean he can't be really good.  But there aren't many guys with his build in the league.

He is thin but not skinny. If you look at him you can see he has a wiry frame; He can probably add another 5 or 10 pounds but he is never going to be "muscular" in that sense nor does he have to be.  I don't know if you remember John Stallworth but Anderson reminds me a little of him and he was "thin" also.   At 6'3 he is probably around 195 right now, perhaps 200.  I think this is a non issue.   One should never make a comparison with Randy Moss because he is in the "freak" category along with Calvin Johnson and perhaps Julio Jones.

5 minutes ago, rangerous said:

moss was 6-4 and 215.  harold carmichael was 6-8 and 225. keyshawn was 6-4 and 212. al toon was 6-4 and 205. robbie is 6-3 and 190.  it's conceivable that he'll be able to add 10 or 20 lbs over a couple of seasons and he'll be right there weight wise.  as long as the extra weight doesn't impact his speed or leaping, he will be able to play the position well.  he just needs to keep his head on straight. some of the catches he made last season shows he has a good nose for the ball and some pretty exceptional leaping ability.

This seems to get over looked a lot.  At 6'3 this kid has some SERIOUS Hops.   I loved watching him go up and get the ball on defenders.  

Archived