Is Robbie Anderson Underrated

JetBlue

If he can get his footwork, and route running improved I don't see why he can't have a Chad Johnson type impact as a WR, maybe even a chance if he works hard to be better considering he is 2 inches taller.  Think IF healthy Robbie catches 80+ balls this year, and will see almost 150 targets for not just the reason that I think he is a very good WR, but also because there just isn't anyone else here to throw to.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Mr. Know it all?  Even an Stevie Wonder can see Anderson was better than Hill.  I mean WTF? lol

There are new Jets fans all the time. Some may have never heard or saw Hill play. You know everything though....smh

6 hours ago, gEYno said:

42 catches and 2 TDs in the NFL.  Hard to say that a player with that statline is underrated at this point.

True, but that's with Decker, Marshall and Enunwa ahead of him.  That's a lot of catches considering and I think he's looked really good on the plays he did make.  There's no question he has talent, the thing I worry about is his slight build. 

4 minutes ago, long suffering jets fan said:

True, but that's with Decker, Marshall and Enunwa ahead of him.  That's a lot of catches considering and I think he's looked really good on the plays he did make.  There's no question he has talent, the thing I worry about is his slight build. 

Robby is tough. Don't let his slight build fool you.

Same old same old NY sports reporters lazy ass narrative.  Jets bad, Giants good. 
They love to say our players have zero talent or knock them down until they sign with the cross town rivals.  Then it's WOW.  "How could the Jets have mismanaged this awesome talent for so long?" If Geno makes their team over Johnson, it will be more of that..."look at what a great organization the Giants are, Geno is making real strides, he might make it just yet, just needed real coaching, real development, blah blah blah."  If he gets cut, it's "YOU SEE? Jets players are just garbage and it's amazing how he was their starter, but he's not good enough to even make the great, fantastic, classy....ny football giants."
As if we still need the clarification.  The original, NY baseball Giants left town how many decades ago?  But that organization somehow found a way to take the fact that they copied/stole the name of the great NY baseball franchise in the 20s to market to the fanbase and turned it into some douchey, smarmy marketing hook to keep the word football in their name.  Brilliant marketing job by those sleazy Mara's.  They get to associate all the good feelings of the word Football and integrate INTO their name....and all because they had zero originality from day one. 
End rant.

And they don't even play in NY just like the Jets.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Anderson? Underrated? If we've learned anything recently, it's that the Jets fan quickly fail to realize couple of plays in the first pre season game means nothing. That goes for Robbie and Hack. Remember Clowney and Brett "preseason HoF QB" Ratliff? 

5 hours ago, JiF said:

If Robbie Anderson had at least a competent QB last year, I think he breaks out in a big way.  The cut ups @win4ever would post had Anderson open all over the field.  He was open, a lot and either never saw the ball or was just missed.  Fitz couldn't get it to him and would settle for the easier throws.  And Petty missed him a few times that were walk in untouched type TDs.  The kid could have had a big year.

Underrated?  Maybe but that's because I don't know if he's rated, like the rest of the receiving core. 

Yeah, he was open a ton last year, and he burned people up with his speed.  He's not really just a speed guy, he has decent comeback routes, out routes, slants, etc.  He's not horrible (not great either), which forces defenses to give him space underneath (easy pitch and catch areas) or play press, which allows him to beat people deep. 

Unfortunately, he was the second/third option last year, which helps out immensely.  Teams had to worry about Marshall (as much as he quit, they were putting their No. 1 CB on him), Decker (while he was healthy) and Enunwa.  I'm not sure Robby is good enough to be a No. 1 type, which he's about to be forced into with the injury to Enunwa.  I would really like to see someone like Marshall, Stewart, Peake, Hansen develop because it takes a ton of pressure away from Anderson.  Someone like Peake to develop is paramount because he has the size/speed mismatch on second tier CBs.  I was hoping to see a bit more on Peake in practices, to see if he's gotten better with his route running and hands.  

I think for Robby to succeed, he needs someone else to step up as well.  I don't mean in the terms that him not putting up numbers, because he's going to be force fed the ball at some point, but to achieve those numbers efficiently.  

The biggest difference is the arm strength of the young QBs, which really make up for some of the faults with the receiving core.  

9 hours ago, RoadFan said:

YES!!!!!!

I have stated this many times before.  Robby has a very high ceiling.  He is skinny.  So what?!?!

A WR's effectiveness is based on creating separation. Something Robby does with seemingly little effort.  He is tall, blazing fast, and changes direction fluidly.  As we saw last year, he will have some big games. Smart teams, like New England did last year, will do everything they can to take him away.   He is the Jets best offensive weapon, Quincy Enunwa or not.  Teams didnt fear QE, they fear Robby because he is the only player that can help the Jets score quickly instead of trying to sustain long drives, which they will struggle mightily to do.  Robby is not a "gimmick or one-trick pony."  He is going to catch passes on a variety of routes simply because teams will provide extra cushion because they fear his 9 routes and double moves.

WR Robby Anderson -- This isn't breaking news: Anderson can fly. . .  made a 53-yard reception to set up the only touchdown. Ryan, one of the Titans' big free-agent signings, played a "bail" technique on Anderson, respecting his deep speed. Didn't matter; he still got torched. "Speed is a premium in this league, and he has it in droves," said Josh McCown, who made the throw. It was a nice first game for Anderson (three catches, 71 yards), their No. 1 receiver . . . . The question is, can he beat press coverage? That's what gives him trouble.

"When you have that kind of speed, the sky’s the limit for you," McCown said of Anderson. "I guess what I'm learning and probably what was underestimated on Robby was his ball skills. He really has excellent ball skills and he’s tougher than his frame would suggest. Obviously, the sky’s the limit for him."

ROBBY ANDERSON, 6-foot-3, 190 pounds, 24 years old. Speedster led the NFL in preseason yards receiving last summer with 264 yards, and increasingly became a major part of the Jets’ offense.

Another thing to remember in this weight debate is that the league is entirely different than when even Moss was in his prime. CB's can't beat up WR's anymore on their routes and Safety's and LB's have to think twice about bringing the wood in the off chance that they make contact with a helmet. Right now the only thing Robby has to learn is how to fight through a jam within 5 yards of scrimmage.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

26 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

Never listened to the woman so I will take your word for it but going by appearance she kinda looks like the Glenn Close character from Fatal Attraction. Must be the hair.

Maybe I am also a little biased because she is always hating on my Jets and Knicks.   Always looking for the negative in every situation;  plus her observations are often very superficial and somewhat uninformed imo.  

12 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

There are new Jets fans all the time. Some may have never heard or saw Hill play. You know everything though....smh

Okay dude, sorry if I hurt your feelings, seriously.  You can stop with the know everything because you are not making any sense. 

12 hours ago, long suffering jets fan said:

I know, I just worry about him getting hurt, he's one of the few dynamic play makers we have on offense besides Bilal. 

Some guys are injury prone and some aren't. It has very little to do with how "skinny" he is. 

1 hour ago, JetFreak89 said:

Another thing to remember in this weight debate is that the league is entirely different than when even Moss was in his prime. CB's can't beat up WR's anymore on their routes and Safety's and LB's have to think twice about bringing the wood in the off chance that they make contact with a helmet. Right now the only thing Robby has to learn is how to fight through a jam within 5 yards of scrimmage.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Excellent point.  

8 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

WR Robby Anderson -- This isn't breaking news: Anderson can fly. . .  made a 53-yard reception to set up the only touchdown. Ryan, one of the Titans' big free-agent signings, played a "bail" technique on Anderson, respecting his deep speed. Didn't matter; he still got torched. "Speed is a premium in this league, and he has it in droves," said Josh McCown, who made the throw. It was a nice first game for Anderson (three catches, 71 yards), their No. 1 receiver . . . . The question is, can he beat press coverage? That's what gives him trouble.

"When you have that kind of speed, the sky’s the limit for you," McCown said of Anderson. "I guess what I'm learning and probably what was underestimated on Robby was his ball skills. He really has excellent ball skills and he’s tougher than his frame would suggest. Obviously, the sky’s the limit for him."

ROBBY ANDERSON, 6-foot-3, 190 pounds, 24 years old. Speedster led the NFL in preseason yards receiving last summer with 264 yards, and increasingly became a major part of the Jets’ offense.

This is were I think he is underrated.  He is not the one trick pony people think he is.   

45 minutes ago, JetBlue said:

Some guys are injury prone and some aren't. It has very little to do with how "skinny" he is. 

I disagree with you here. A players body needs to be able to withstand the rigors of the NFL season. While some guys are injury prone some are more susceptible to injury than others. Bulking up a little will only help him. Not to the extent that it will take away any speed but a little lifting never hurt anyone.

11 hours ago, j4jets said:

Anderson? Underrated? If we've learned anything recently, it's that the Jets fan quickly fail to realize couple of plays in the first pre season game means nothing. That goes for Robbie and Hack. Remember Clowney and Brett "preseason HoF QB" Ratliff? 

The difference is we have seen him play in real NFL games and excel.  The Clowney - Ratlif comparison is not valid; this guy is no preseason superstar. 

4 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I disagree with you here. A players body needs to be able to withstand the rigors of the NFL season. While some guys are injury prone some are more susceptible to injury than others. Bulking up a little will only help him. Not to the extent that it will take away any speed but a little lifting never hurt anyone.

Okay but if you look at his build, he has a wirey strength. Remember his game is speed, quickness and acceleration.  He needs to stay as flexible as loose as possible.    Working on his core strength, and flexibility is much more important than getting bulky.  

Bottom line, he is a young, emerging talent at WR but he has not made a name for himself or proven he deserves to be a considered a top talent or #1 WR- YET!

But he came in as an UDFA and performed every opportunity he got. So it really depends on how you view his as a player to say whether or not he is underrated. I think most people in the league view him just as he should be viewed, as an unproven but talented and very promising WR who will now have an opportunity to be the top guy and show what he can do.  

People who say he would be deep on a depth chart of other teams (like the Giants) or that he is a one-trick pony, or has done nothing in the league so far, etc., etc. are definitely underestimating him. People who think he will be a Pro Bowler this year are most certainly overestimating him. It's going to be somewhere in the middle. The Jets will be spreading the ball out a lot, they will try to keep the running game involved. RBs and TEs will get their fair share of targets. Anderson will have a productive season and show that he deserves to be in the league but his numbers won't blow anyone away come season's end. I doubt he reaches 1,000yrds, but he may come close. And that's totally fine. This will by no means be a powerhouse offense.

The defense however could be real scary. Especially if guys stay healthy and the secondary continues to play like they did in the first pre-season game.   

1 hour ago, JetFaninMI said:

Never listened to the woman so I will take your word for it but going by appearance she kinda looks like the Glenn Close character from Fatal Attraction. Must be the hair.

1 hour ago, JetBlue said:

Maybe I am also a little biased because she is always hating on my Jets and Knicks.   Always looking for the negative in every situation;  plus her observations are often very superficial and somewhat uninformed imo.  

She just TRIES TOO HARD to "be one of the boys." She is a Jets and Knicks hater and has the ramblings of a 13 year old TomBoy. Willie Colon is the better half.

Robby Anderson has PROVEN (even if he only develops into a #3 Slot Speed Demon) that teams made a mistake in NOT drafting him and that is because he has DANGEROUS Speed which allows him to Naturally Separate: Thus YES, he is UNDER-Rated as of now, but Teams will take notice this year and Robby will have to perfect the nuances of the position and learn to FIGHT OFF being Jammed at the LOS 

11 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

She just TRIES TOO HARD to "be one of the boys." She is a Jets and Knicks hater and has the ramblings of a 13 year old TomBoy. Willie Colon is the better half.

Robby Anderson has PROVEN (even if he only develops into a #3 Slot Speed Demon) that teams made a mistake in NOT drafting him and that is because he has DANGEROUS Speed which allows him to Naturally Separate: Thus YES, he is UNDER-Rated as of now, but Teams will take notice this year and Robby will have to perfect the nuances of the position and learn to FIGHT OFF being Jammed at the LOS 

I agree with you both points.  Her claim to fame is she is supposedly some fantasy football star (I hate fantasy football).   You are right about her trying too hard also, she can damn annoying lol. 

Yes he will need to continue to improve as teams will see film on him.  It is imperative that one or more of our other receivers steps up so that teams can't focus soley on him.  I think this is where ASJ and Leggett can play a huge role for us.   I think Peake, Stewart and Hansen will also be factors.   To keep teams from Jamming him at the LOS, we need to put him in motion to make it harder on the defense back. 

7 hours ago, JetBlue said:

Okay dude, sorry if I hurt your feelings, seriously.  You can stop with the know everything because you are not making any sense. 

That's funny. You start sh1t then find out how much more you have digested. Stop derailing the threads.

12 hours ago, JetBlue said:

The difference is we have seen him play in real NFL games and excel.  The Clowney - Ratlif comparison is not valid; this guy is no preseason superstar. 

Oh yes, how can I forget the 500 yards against the 3rd and 4th CBs? Put a safety up top, and your #2 CB on him and then we'll see how big of a superstar he is. Average? Possibly. Underrated? Not at 500 yards!

On 8/14/2017 at 2:08 PM, thadude said:

I'm fine with Robby being underrated as long as it helps me get him in round 15 of my PPR money league

My thinking exactly.  I just had my first FF draft with guys from work.  I made him the very last pick of my draft.  He's the perfect player to stash on the bench to start a fantasy football season.  By the middle of the year if the Jets are constantly trailing in games and need to throw the ball, and he has grown into the #1 or #2 option then he'll be getting targets and catches.

Archived