Is Bryce Petty eliminated from Jets' quarterback competition?

Gas2No99

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Petty will make the team simply b/c the Jets will decide they would rather keep 3 QBs than 2 in case of injury.

Was he in ever in the competition? Sure, I believe so. But he was given a shorter leash. Had he come out and wowed everyone right away, the coaches would have given him more reps and a fairer shot to earn the starting job. But he didn't.  Is that fair? Maybe not, but life's not fair.

Fact is, whether this was an open competition or not, it was clear that Petty was the third string QB from the get go and Hack had the edge and McCown had the edge over Hack. That doesn't mean Petty had no shot to overcome that. Neither Hack not McCown looked stellar early on. Petty could have stood out. But he didn't. 

Petty will make the team not b/c he is in the Jets future plans but b/c he knows the system, they know what they can expect from him, he will have some familiarity with the players and a 3rd QB may very well be needed in case McCown and Hack go down with injury. 

Petty's been with the team for 2 plus years. They know what they have in him. If they thought he had a better chance of emerging as a franchise QB than Hack, he'd be the one they'd be focusing on. In the end, Macc drafted both Petty and Hack so it's not like he has a bias. With that said, Petty has his chances in practice to prove his worth and show that he has "figured it out." But for now it doesn't appear that he has shown the staff much to get excited about. 

3 hours ago, Joe Jets fan said:

Why is the terrible oline excuse good for Petty but not acceptable for Hack at Penn St??

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

maybe because Hack's Oline in college was not comparable to a college line much less a pro nfl Oline. The line we had last year was bad but not so bad we had to convert defensive lineman to play on the line...c'mon, you knew better before you even hit submit. 

2 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

-So, when it is pointed out that Hackenberg in college was placed behind a dismal line and miscast in system, it is excuse-making and not being science-like by resident geniuses.

-When Petty struggles behind the same in the pros, it is "faring well".

God love America and its freedom of speech and ideas.

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

no he won't.  there's a reason he's the #3 qb on a team that has arguably the worst qbs in the nfl.  

Irony?  Hackenberg was the #4 QB on a team that had the worst QBs in the NFL and I don't think it was particularly arguable.

1 minute ago, #27TheDominator said:

Irony?  Hackenberg was the #4 QB on a team that had the worst QBs in the NFL and I don't think it was particularly arguable.

Huh? Did anyone ever say that Petty should not even be on an NFL roster and that he was a hopeless case? Not sure what you are trying to say there.

No  one that I saw claimed that Hack was "faring well" with that set of conditions.

2 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

Huh? Did anyone ever say that Petty should not even be on an NFL roster and that he was a hopeless case? Not sure what you are trying to say there.

No  one that I saw claimed that Hack was "faring well" with that set of conditions.

Gee.  Thought I was pretty obvious.  People are complaining about the excuses being made about Petty playing behind a sh*t O-line.  Saying they should cut Hackenberg slack for playing behind a sh*tty O-line in college.  Then someone says that Petty is the #3 QB on a team with the worst QB situation in the NFL.  Well, the last time it mattered, Hackenberg was the #4 QB, behind that guy, on a team with the worst QB situation in the NFL.

5 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You're not reading all the threads you're posting in.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Look at the bright side. This year he's only the third worst QB.

This year I expect you to watch more college football, so that you have an education in terms of what the Jets draft, and can make an informed position. I am guessing that you don't even know the college field is 120 yards long.

Put down the cat and go to State College with me. You can witness this year's Heisman candidate and likely winner.

3 hours ago, Augustiniak said:

i don't think petty is on the roster next year and there's no guarantee he is on it this year.  

He'll be on the roster this year. They know McCown is fragile and that Hack is a question mark. Only way Petty isn't on the roster next year is if the Jets both draft a QB relatively (or very) high and sign a veteran free agent. Even then, he'll be in training camp in a battle with Hackenberg for a roster spot. 

2 hours ago, PepPep said:

I think Petty will make the team simply b/c the Jets will decide they would rather keep 3 QBs than 2 in case of injury.

Was he in ever in the competition? Sure, I believe so. But he was given a shorter leash. Had he come out and wowed everyone right away, the coaches would have given him more reps and a fairer shot to earn the starting job. But he didn't.  Is that fair? Maybe not, but life's not fair.

Fact is, whether this was an open competition or not, it was clear that Petty was the third string QB from the get go and Hack had the edge and McCown had the edge over Hack. That doesn't mean Petty had no shot to overcome that. Neither Hack not McCown looked stellar early on. Petty could have stood out. But he didn't. 

Petty will make the team not b/c he is in the Jets future plans but b/c he knows the system, they know what they can expect from him, he will have some familiarity with the players and a 3rd QB may very well be needed in case McCown and Hack go down with injury. 

Nice Post; very sound logic!

5 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

This year I expect you to watch more college football, so that you have an education in terms of what the Jets draft, and can make an informed position. I am guessing that you don't even know the college field is 120 yards long.

Put down the cat and go to State College with me. You can witness this year's Heisman candidate and likely winner.

Can I tell everyone at the tailgate that you think Hackenberg was better than Trace McSorley and record their reactions??

50 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Can I tell everyone at the tailgate that you think Hackenberg was better than Trace McSorley and record their reactions??

In terms of a pro prospect, Hackenberg is absolutely better than McSorley.

In terms of the offense that Franklin wants to run, and the personnel he has built around that offense, McSorley is the better qb. No issue there.

Oh, and BTW, I was talking about Barkley as Heisman candidate

Just now, Scott Dierking said:

In terms of a pro prospect, Hackenberg is absolutely better than McSorley.

In terms of the offense that Franklin wants to run, and the personnel he has built around that offense, McSorley is the better qb. No issue there.

Let's see if you can get that all out before they douse us both in Jack Daniels and set us on fire.

7 hours ago, MaxAF said:

That's a good possibility. Maybe they draft a QB next year but I have a feeling the Jets are going to win more games than many are thinking. Need to be in the bottom 3 to get one of the QB prospects and I personally don't see them there unless injuries puts them down.

There are going to be 4 or 5 blue chip prospects in this draft.   Darnold, Allen, and Rosen get all the hype but rudolph may be the best passér of the bunch.  It would mean another red shirt but wth, 6'5 with a cannon for an arm.   

8 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

There are going to be 4 or 5 blue chip prospects in this draft.   Darnold, Allen, and Rosen get all the hype but rudolph may be the best passér of the bunch.  It would mean another red shirt but wth, 6'5 with a cannon for an arm.   

does he have 1 of the top 5 arms in NFL history

9 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

You both are barking up the wrong tree. Take it up with the idiots who do nothing but crap on this team, its QB Situation, and contradict themselves w/the fodder you two "Hawkings" just stated.

The genius level, or lack of, seems to be inversely proportional to their number of posts 

1 minute ago, Jet Nut said:

The genius level, or lack of, seems to be inversely proportional to their number of posts 

Consider the amazingness of this being posted four times.

12 hours ago, Scott Dierking said:

I hope McCagnan starts watching college football instead of DVRing Sportscenter

12 hours ago, jack48 said:

Petty is inconsistent.  From play to play.  He cannot string anything together.  Nice arm.   Good timing.  He just does not get it done play to play.

I like Petty, but your right.  He admits he has a Brett mentality.  He's going to sling em up-field.  Not sure he fits with this 3 yards in the air passing attack we might be running.  Another issue with Petty is  he's from a college O that was like, " #81, run to the man hole and cut right, every one else block."  

The 12 word play calls that Morton is running has to be very challenging.   IMO Petty has almost 0 chance of being the opening day starter.  After a very bad Senior Bowl week, that he showed 0 feel for the Pro Set, he fell to the 4th round.  I've actually been pleasantly surprised how he's progressed.  Again IMO it would be a major mistake to release Petty at this point.  We're probably not going to see much of him until game 4 PS. 

48 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I like Petty, but your right.  He admits he has a Brett mentality.  He's going to sling em up-field.  Not sure he fits with this 3 yards in the air passing attack we might be running.  Another issue with Petty is  he's from a college O that was like, " #81, run to the man hole and cut right, every one else block."  

The 12 word play calls that Morton is running has to be very challenging.   IMO Petty has almost 0 chance of being the opening day starter.  After a very bad Senior Bowl week, that he showed 0 feel for the Pro Set, he fell to the 4th round.  I've actually been pleasantly surprised how he's progressed.  Again IMO it would be a major mistake to release Petty at this point.  We're probably not going to see much of him until game 4 PS. 

Soooooo, while we're considering Hackenberg a rehabilitation project who needs snaps to get better, we're at the same time giving up on Petty--who's been better than Hack all camp--because he's inconsistent,

14 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Soooooo, while we're considering Hackenberg a rehabilitation project who needs snaps to get better, we're at the same time giving up on Petty--who's been better than Hack all camp--because he's inconsistent,

How many tools does Petty have

Archived