Broken Foot for Lucky

JetNation

lucky_whitehead2.jpg

The Jets announced some bad news, Lucky Whitehead has a broken foot. The Jets signed Whitehead in late July, after he was released by the Dallas Cowboys. He was having a good camp and showed explosiveness on returns.

With no timeline for his return, and possible surgery, this changes the return game for the Jets. Frankie Hammond was also in the mix in the first preseason game on both kickoff and punt returns.

The Jets have three preseason games to work it out. The loss of Whitehead hits hard at an already depleted wide receiver position. After the offseason purge which saw both Brandon Marshall and Eric Decker being released. Then Quincy Enunwa getting injured in Jets intra-squad scrimmage.

Lucky Whitehead

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
hRIyCkSgVnw

Click here to read the full story...

3 minutes ago, jetscanes331 said:

Damn, tough break for the guy. We could have really used him. Hope to see him stick on the team and come back.

Curse you! You stole my joke! :P

All joking aside, it really sucks for him. It's been a really sh*tty off-season for him, and I sympathize. I was kinda hoping to root for him during games this season. I went to school with the guy, so it woulda been fun to see him succeed on my favorite team.

17 hours ago, jetscanes331 said:

We could have really used him. Hope to see him stick on the team and come back.

Except he didn't really how much. Didn't catch a single pass in pre-season game 1, didn't do anything in the return game. I mean, I understand that the Jets need a returner and as much WR depth as they can get but he's simply not very good. I doubt he would have made the team and I doubt the Jets could have used him for anything. Frankie Hammond looked better as a returner. 

4 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Except he didn't really how much. Didn't catch a single pass in pre-season game 1, didn't do anything in the return game. I mean, I understand that the Jets need a returner and as much WR depth as they can get but he's simply not very good. I doubt he would have made the team and I doubt the Jets could have used him for anything. Frankie Hammond looked better as a returner. 

Do you think it is unusual for a guy that just joined the team not to be up to speed with the offense?  The kid was on the team for less than 3 weeks at game time.  Red shirt the QB, but throw the WR to the wolves?  He apparently has serious speed, sometimes it is good to pair a guy like that with Anderson because it can spread the safeties and provide room under.

He never had much success as a WR with the Cowboys, but his catch rate was good (presumably they threw him mostly screens) and he had some success running those jet sweeps.  Kid can be a weapon, and learning the playbook was one of his negatives, so not getting anything done on O 2 1/2 weeks after arriving is not a surprise.

24 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Do you think it is unusual for a guy that just joined the team not to be up to speed with the offense?  The kid was on the team for less than 3 weeks at game time.  Red shirt the QB, but throw the WR to the wolves?  He apparently has serious speed, sometimes it is good to pair a guy like that with Anderson because it can spread the safeties and provide room under.

He never had much success as a WR with the Cowboys, but his catch rate was good (presumably they threw him mostly screens) and he had some success running those jet sweeps.  Kid can be a weapon, and learning the playbook was one of his negatives, so not getting anything done on O 2 1/2 weeks after arriving is not a surprise.

Agreed to this. All reports said he looked explosive and shifty in returns. We've been seriously lacking that since Leon left. That alone would have been a much-needed boost.

5 hours ago, jetscanes331 said:

Agreed to this. All reports said he looked explosive and shifty in returns. We've been seriously lacking that since Leon left. That alone would have been a much-needed boost.

Disagree. Explosive and shifty, fine. But all the Cowboys fans said he was a bad returner. Simply was not able to do much in the return game. I dunno. I just don;t see it as much of a loss. 

3 minutes ago, PepPep said:

Disagree. Explosive and shifty, fine. But all the Cowboys fans said he was a bad returner. Simply was not able to do much in the return game. I dunno. I just don;t see it as much of a loss. 

Fair enough. Had high hopes for him. A solid return game has been sorely lacking for us for a few years now.

1 minute ago, PepPep said:

Fair enough.  We haven't seen enough of him to be sure, but he was mid-pack in kick and punt returns last year and that is better than what we got. Marshall was almost similar but put the ball on the ground and fair caught at a way higher percentage.  What Cowboys fans say does not exactly equate to a scouting report - check out some of the report cards around here.  OTOH, I totally agree that it isn't a huge loss.  He was a wild card we could have hope for, not something we should have been counting on.  Compared to Enunwa this loss barely registers. 

Archived