Josh McCown earns praise, will see expanded action against Lions

Gas2No99

Josh McCown earns praise, will see expanded action against Lions

r219688_1296x518_5-2.jpg&w=768&h=307&sca

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Todd Bowles hasn't revealed his exact quarterback plan for Saturday night against the Detroit Lions, but he indicated Tuesday that Josh McCown will play more than last week -- meaning more than one series.

Makes sense. The New York Jets need to increase McCown's playing time as they get closer to the regular season.

"I like his leadership, I like how he takes control of the offense," offensive coordinator John Morton said of the Jets' presumptive Week 1 starter, who had a brief but effective outing in the opener. "He's seen a lot of football. I like that. I like his experience. That's the biggest thing."

Morton is a disciple of Jon Gruden, whose preference for seasoned quarterbacks was well known. Food for thought.

A recap of the quarterback competition on Tuesday:

JOSH McCOWN

This was a solid day for McCown (10-for-15), who was pleased by the overall performance of the offense. Afterward, he said, "We need to keep stacking days like this."

Wow moment: There was nothing spectacular, just a bunch of high-percentage throws that were executed.

Whoa moment: He almost was intercepted on his first pass, as linebacker Demario Davis dropped into coverage and deflected a pass. McCown has gone six straight practices without an interception. Did we just jinx him?

CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG

This was the fourth straight practice that Hackenberg had more total reps than McCown -- 23 to 20. He completed eight of 15 attempts, managing to avoid a sack -- a rarity. The pass protection was much better than Monday.

Wow moment: Hackenberg made two throws that stood out. He unleashed a 50-yard bomb to rookie wide receiver Dan Williams, who outmuscled Marcus Williamsfor the ball. Later, Hackenberg fired a laser to Robby Anderson on the far sideline. The pass had plenty of giddy-up on it, and Anderson made a two-handed, leaping catch.

Whoa moment: There were no hiccups; it was a clean day.

BRYCE PETTY

The Forgotten Quarterback received only six reps. Afterward, Petty (3-for-5) put on a brave face, saying, "You don't count the reps, you make the reps count."

Wow moment: Petty hooked up with rookie wide receiver Chad Hansen for a long touchdown. Their timing was outstanding on a deep in-cut, as Hansen caught it in stride and bolted for the end zone. Petty has made a handful of terrific throws in camp, but "we need a little more consistency from him," Morton said.

Whoa moment: There were no glaring mistakes.

Seems like MORE McCown. Let the Harakiri begin:

tenor.gif

well I was about to have a snack but this makes me lose my appetite....Bowles REALLY is that stupid.....Fitz 3.0 regardless of how he plays Bowles will stick with him...the Jets are not cursed.....their stupidity and zest at repeating the mistakes of the past just fugg this team right up the ash...headline should be "Hackenburg impressive in first preseason game will start and see extended action" but Morton's comments suggest he is right on same page with Bowles....just shoot me now....

this is what you get when you hire defensive minded coaches allergic to offense....and despite his reputation Gruden was the same way, he hated playing young QBs...

Oh joy.  Yes, we need to see more of Josh McCown, maybe he finally matured into a star!

What positive change has Bowles made since he came here?  At least with Ryan, I can say that he took the defense to another level, and raised the Jets star in the media (and then burned spectacularly down).  What is one positive thing Bowles has done?  Defense sucks, Offense sucks, Special teams sucks, Team divided last year, Media hates us.  One good thing?

It's going to be truly funny to hear the "Suck for Sam" fans response when the Jets, under McCown, somehow manage to start 4-0, ending early any chance of the #1 pick.

When Hack doesn;t see the field till late in the year, and we wind up picking #11

6 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It's going to be truly funny to hear the "Suck for Sam" fans response when the Jets, under McCown, somehow manage to start 4-0, ending early any chance of the #1 pick.

When Hack doesn;t see the field till late in the year, and we wind up picking #11

Will we get to play that soft Titans D weeks 1-4 because that is the only way this team is starting out 4-0

56 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Oh joy.  Yes, we need to see more of Josh McCown, maybe he finally matured into a star!

What positive change has Bowles made since he came here?  At least with Ryan, I can say that he took the defense to another level, and raised the Jets star in the media (and then burned spectacularly down).  What is one positive thing Bowles has done?  Defense sucks, Offense sucks, Special teams sucks, Team divided last year, Media hates us.  One good thing?

Ummmmm you are way way way better than this.  

The Jets defense in Bowels first year was a easily a top 10 defense, and it is not even close. Come on now.

Below the Jets were rated 5th in total defensive efficiency for 2015, that is hardly a horrific number.  Yes the defense was putrid last year but let's not act like Bowles' team was awful defensively in year one.

Oh and the year before in 2014, we were 21st!

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef2014

TEAM DEF.
DVOA
LAST
YEAR
WEIGHTED
DEFENSE
RANK PASS
DEF
PASS
RANK
RUSH
DEF
RUSH
RANK
NON-ADJUSTED VAR. RANK SCHED RANK
  TOTAL PASS RUSH
1 DEN -25.8% 4 -22.1% 1 -28.0% 1 -22.8% 4 -22.7% -21.6% -24.1% 4.4% 13 3.2% 4
2 CAR -18.4% 15 -17.6% 5 -18.2% 2 -18.6% 6 -20.3% -20.4% -20.2% 9.2% 30 -2.9% 26
3 ARI -15.6% 7 -10.3% 7 -9.4% 4 -24.4% 2 -13.8% -8.7% -21.0% 6.1% 25 0.5% 16
4 SEA -15.2% 1 -21.0% 3 -9.8% 3 -22.9% 3 -11.8% -7.4% -18.2% 7.2% 26 -0.2% 18
5 NYJ -13.8% 21 -12.2% 6 -1.1% 9 -33.3% 1 -17.8% -6.1% -35.7% 4.0% 11 -3.1% 28
6 KC -11.6% 19 -21.5% 2 -8.8% 5 -15.5% 11 -11.4% -9.5% -14.2% 9.7% 31 0.7% 14

41 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

The Jets defense in Bowels first year was a easily a top 10 defense, and it is not even close. Come on now.

Below the Jets were rated 5th in total defensive efficiency for 2015, that is hardly a horrific number.  Yes the defense was putrid last year but let's not act like Bowles' team was awful defensively in year one.

TEAM DEF.
DVOA
LAST
YEAR
WEIGHTED
DEFENSE
RANK PASS
DEF
PASS
RANK
RUSH
DEF
RUSH
RANK
  TOTAL PASS RUSH
2 CAR -18.4% 15 -17.6% 5 -18.2% 2 -18.6% 6 -20.3% -20.4% -20.2% 9.2% 30 -2.9% 26

The numbers are misleading, because of the offense faced.  In 2014, they were ranked number 1 in facing the hardest set of offenses according to football outsiders, based on DVOA.  

In 2014, they faced the No. 1 ranked average of offenses based on DVOA, and finished  21st with a pass rank of 24th and a rush rank of 11th.  

In 2015, they faced the No. 28 ranked average of offenses based on DVOA, and finished 5th, with a pass rank of 9th and a rush rank of 1.  We also added a proven veteran (who played decent that year in Revis, along with Skrine) that year.   

In 2016, they faced the No. 9 ranked average of offenses based on DVOA, and finished 21st again, with a pass rank of 31, and rush rank of 1.  

In 2014, the Jets were 24th in cap spending for CBs and 24th in cap spending for S.  The Jets were dead last at 32 for cap spending on defense.  

In 2015, the Jets were No. 1 overall in cap spending for CBs, and 14th in cap spending for S.  The Jets were 4th overall in cap spending on defense.  

In 2016, the Jets were No. 1 overall in cap spending for CBs, and 20th in cap spending for S.  The Jets were 14th overall in cap spending on defense.  

So the number differences between 2014 and 2015 can be attributed a few ways.  One, they faced a much easier schedule in 2015 than in 2014, in terms of the power of offenses.  Second, they invested a ton of money on CB and S, and the defense overall, which brought in guys that were already developed and decent, and plugged them in.  

In the meantime, we have seen very little development from Pryor (later traded), Sheldon (playing LB at times), Mauldin, etc.  Leo is the only one that has been young and good, and he was pretty much a consensus monster.  Obviously, jury is out on Lee, Adams, and all, but I can't think of one guy that markedly improved under Bowles.

I was definitely hopeful with Bowles, because I figured Rex was just a defensive guy and he just didn't understand how to develop an offense.  However, Bowles doesn't really develop an offense, nor a defense.  My main issue with him is the lack of adjustment, and sticking to his guns until it's too late.  The most famous example is Revis playing off Watkins in Week 16 that year, and getting burned.  There were countless examples last year as well, where we just refused to adjust or change game plans.  

My only hope for this year is really if Morton takes control of the offense and develops the QB because I have no faith in Bowles.  He can prove me wrong by changing, but I don't have faith.  I'll happily eat crow if he turns it around, but I just don't see it.    

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

well I was about to have a snack but this makes me lose my appetite....Bowles REALLY is that stupid.....Fitz 3.0 regardless of how he plays Bowles will stick with him...the Jets are not cursed.....their stupidity and zest at repeating the mistakes of the past just fugg this team right up the ash...headline should be "Hackenburg impressive in first preseason game will start and see extended action" but Morton's comments suggest he is right on same page with Bowles....just shoot me now....

this is what you get when you hire defensive minded coaches allergic to offense....and despite his reputation Gruden was the same way, he hated playing young QBs...

THIS.    40 years of futility is not the players. We hire management with no balls, no vision. There is simply NO reason to start McGown.   NONE.  If Hack isnt ready now... let him get prepared by fire. If Hack fails miserably then give it to McGown and face the fact we are  no where in the QB position.

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

the more we see of Josh, the more HIS inaccurcy will come into play.  Guy has a stronger arm than Fitz, but is just as inaccurate

7 hours ago, Charlie Brown said:

TEAM DEF.
DVOA
LAST
YEAR
WEIGHTED
DEFENSE
RANK PASS
DEF
PASS
RANK
RUSH
DEF
RUSH
RANK
  TOTAL PASS RUSH

Well, we did spend like $50 mil worth of cap on the D in 2015. A team with a 130mil cap usage vs the same team with an extra 30 mil cap usage will have an obvious talent variation. Let's see. 3 new corners and a new safety. That's your entire secondary, something the Jets didn't have the year before because Idzik. When Rex had Revis n Cromartie, his defenses were much better.

If Bowles D was awesome in 2015, then why was it not awesome a year later? I refuse to give Bowles credit for 2015 D if the same D sucked a year later. Something tells me we were facing an average schedule in 2016 and not THE easiest schedule in the league like 2015. 

Simple rule of thumb: Avoid crediting Bowles. 

8 hours ago, win4ever said:

You act like this is crazy, but look at Fitzpatrick. He was a similar journeyman and then he went and had a career year! It's such a good idea that no one can deny the utter genius of it. They could almost make the playoffs again!

The Jets have a new offense this year, new pieces on the OL, and a completely overhauled receiver corps. Josh McCown has run this offense before. I have no problem at all with the Jets giving McCown the first month of the season while the OL gels and the players settle into the new system. By week #5, on the road against Cleveland, Hackenberg has to be in there. Away from the ornery home crowd against what will probably be the weakest opponent on the Jets' schedule, there'll be no better time to trot him out there. Give him a chance to have some early success. 

They have to give him more than half the season not only to evaluate him but to give him a chance to grow into the job before the season's up. He needs to face adversity and bounce back from it. He needs to have ample opportunity to screw up and recover. And the Jets have to take a long hard look at him, no matter how hard it might be to look. I understand the concept that they might be doing the rest of the team a disservice if he's truly terrible, but they have to see that in actual games and try to coach him thru it. They have to know as much as they possibly can about Hackenberg by the end of the season. That has to be the priority here. 

I'd really prefer it if this coach didn't have me rooting for losses or an injury to McCown (nothing serious!) just because he can't see the big picture. 

Mcnown is going to go 4-0, including wins in Oakland and Buffalo? Now I've heard it all. 

No reason to get bent out of shape over Hackenberg sitting to start the year. He will eventually play, sooner than later. Mcnown is a good choice to start the year because all of the other younger players will need that leadership.  Enjoy the season folks, but do not look for wins

I hope McCown throws multiple picks vs Lions and plays like sh!t, the real McCown. I can't stand that we are wasting any time with him. Let Hack and Petty play. See what they can do. I don't want to hear "leadership". McCown is the oldest player on the team, one of the worst QB's in the league. Bad players being leaders is laughable. Rather let Hack or Petty develop/show their leadership, but these coaches won't let them. The players know, the same as us. McCown is just wasting time to make Bowles comfortable because he doesn't know how to coach or develop a young QB. 

10 hours ago, win4ever said:

Well, the Jets are no longer a circus....so they got that going for them.

46 minutes ago, slats said:

The Jets have a new offense this year, new pieces on the OL, and a completely overhauled receiver corps. Josh McCown has run this offense before. I have no problem at all with the Jets giving McCown the first month of the season while the OL gels and the players settle into the new system. By week #5, on the road against Cleveland, Hackenberg has to be in there. Away from the ornery home crowd against what will probably be the weakest opponent on the Jets' schedule, there'll be no better time to trot him out there. Give him a chance to have some early success. 

They have to give him more than half the season not only to evaluate him but to give him a chance to grow into the job before the season's up. He needs to face adversity and bounce back from it. He needs to have ample opportunity to screw up and recover. And the Jets have to take a long hard look at him, no matter how hard it might be to look. I understand the concept that they might be doing the rest of the team a disservice if he's truly terrible, but they have to see that in actual games and try to coach him thru it. They have to know as much as they possibly can about Hackenberg by the end of the season. That has to be the priority here. 

I'd really prefer it if this coach didn't have me rooting for losses or an injury to McCown (nothing serious!) just because he can't see the big picture. 

I think your spot on. It's not what we had all hoped for but, the kid is coming along. He already suffered in college do to his OL getting him killed which had him "paying more attention to the rush than the play developing" ( quote from his teammate).  I would love to see the kid take the starting job if he shows he is worthy, maybe things change in a couple of weeks. 

3 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

I think your spot on. It's not what we had all hoped for but, the kid is coming along. He already suffered in college do to his OL getting him killed which had him "paying more attention to the rush than the play developing" ( quote from his teammate).  I would love to see the kid take the starting job if he shows he is worthy, maybe things change in a couple of weeks. 

i agree as well.  i think the biggest problem with this whole thing, is that bowles and mccags were so not on the same page last season, that bowles let hack rot for an entire year which essentially delayed his development for an entire year.  now they have real coaches on offense, and hack is just starting to get back into a real rhythm and learn what he should have been doing all last season.  so if hack needs another month or two, fine.  it's a long season and hack will have his shot.  the OC isn't afraid to say that hack is a rookie, and why not, he is, he hasn't played in a year and is in a pro offense for the first time since his freshman year.  

And here we are with one practice left before camp breaks and the season starts.

The tally so far is McCown 792 reps, 640 of them with the 1st team.  Hackenburg with 650 reps and Bryce Petty with 12

When asked about the Qb situation Todd Bowles stated "They will all get the same reps, things will even out.  We have not made a decision on who the starter will be and all three are in the running.

It is hardly unreasonable to want the rest of the offense to run through some drives with a QB who knows the scheme. The rest of the offense, which has a lot of young players, needs to get comfortable with it, too. They can't be completely limited by Hack (or Petty) developing as players individually and as part of the offense. All those other players need to be evaluated, too. FFS it's preseason game two.

Archived