Donnie Baseball

AFJF

Yes, the Yankees sucked but Donny Baseball was the man.  Even though I enjoyed watching the Yankees win all the rings they've won, I don't have many sports memories better than watching #23 light it up in the Bronx.

24 minutes ago, chirorob said:

Was a shame his back went bad, he was on track for the HOF.

I still think he deserved consideration.  He among the consensus best players in baseball for quite some time.  Not just an all-star, an MVP candidate.  I think that deserves more respect than a bunch of all-star alternate invites.  Numbers-wise he doesn't cut it, but what can you do?

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I still think he deserved consideration.  He among the consensus best players in baseball for quite some time.  Not just an all-star, an MVP candidate.  I think that deserves more respect than a bunch of all-star alternate invites.  Numbers-wise he doesn't cut it, but what can you do?

4 years as an elite player, 84-87.   By 88, 89 he was good, but not the same, and after that he was Marc Grace.

He also gave us this.

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

Yes, the Yankees sucked but Donny Baseball was the man.  Even though I enjoyed watching the Yankees win all the rings they've won, I don't have many sports memories better than watching #23 light it up in the Bronx.

I forgot what a great arm he had for a first baseman.  Just amazing the plays he made.  Thing is, the Yankees were good then, just a tough division, and there was no wild card.  From 83-88 they won 91, 87, 97, 90, 89, and 85 games.   Today, 90 wins gets you in the playoffs pretty much every year.

• 2 weeks later...

I think that so many years of idolizing Mattingly is why I prefer high character players to this day.  He just did it the right way.

When I was a kid, it was all the coke head Mets players in the headlines, but I'd prefer Mattingly, Pags and Randolph any day.

My one regret as as a Yankee fan was that he retired right before the 1990s Dynasty.

That 1994 season was his year, then the strike.  He was incredible in that 1995 WC series against the Mariners.

His back screwed up his HOF chances (I agree, even with what he did he deserves consideration because he was a top 3 player for a 4-5 yr span), and a ring.  Sucks.

Some of my best memories weren't even really plays.  When he ate that kid's popcorn?  When he sent the signed ball to the guy that pulled back and let an opponent catch his foul ball saying (paraphrasing) "When it's the other team you don't let them catch it."

5 minutes ago, SMC said:

My one regret as as a Yankee fan was that he retired right before the 1990s Dynasty.

That 1994 season was his year, then the strike.  He was incredible in that 1995 WC series against the Mariners.

His back screwed up his HOF chances (I agree, even with what he did he deserves consideration because he was a top 3 player for a 4-5 yr span), and a ring.  Sucks.

Warning track power.  I think he retired because his then wife (childhood sweetheart) was drinking and his marriage going downhill though he claimed it was the back. 

• 1 month later...

4 times finishing in the Top 10 in the MVP voting (1 win in 1984, 2nd in '85).  9-time Gold Glove winner.  6-time All-Star.  3 Silver Slugger awards.  His average WAR in a given year was over 3.0, and in his prime ('84-'89) it was 5.5 on average. 

That sounds like a HoF resume to me. 

On 8/31/2017 at 4:29 PM, SMC said:

What's interesting is how empty The Stadium was back in the 80s compared to today.

the bleachers were always full though.  Once had box seat tix gifted to me and i spent a good part of that game wishing i had sold those tix and used the $ to buy bleacher seats and beer.

On 8/31/2017 at 5:01 PM, chirorob said:

Everyone says baseball is in trouble, but the attendance now compared to then is night and day.  

I blame the steroids.

1 hour ago, Smashmouth said:

love Donny Baseball my favorite player ...to bad he played during a time the Yankees didn't think they needed pitching.

We should get him as the Manager I think he would lead these kids to multiple WS championships.

What?  John Candelaria and Melido Perez weren't pitchers?  I thought they were set to give him the job when Torre left, but he had the trouble with his wife?

I think they were set to give him the Job but they gave it to Girardi Im not sure on the details though.

Not sure what you mean on the pitchers during the 80's when Mattingly played (unless you were being sarcastic) but the Yankees had amazing hitting and no p[itching during the years of Donnie Baseball.

3 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

4 times finishing in the Top 10 in the MVP voting (1 win in 1984, 2nd in '85).  9-time Gold Glove winner.  6-time All-Star.  3 Silver Slugger awards.  His average WAR in a given year was over 3.0, and in his prime ('84-'89) it was 5.5 on average. 

That sounds like a HoF resume to me. 

damn right hes a HOF 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:18 PM, SMC said:

they were not going to win the WS in 1994, they may not even have won the division. there was a long way to go and you aren't winning w/ that pitching staff.

everyone who watched baseball in that era loved Mattingly but he was kind of a jinx. 

Yanks make WS in 1981, Mattingly came up in 1982. 

Mattingly retires after 1995 season, the Yanks make their next WS in 1996.

The Yanks are in the WS in 2003, Don joins the coaching staff in 2004 and they blew a 3-0 lead in the ALCS. 

it's unfortunate injuries robbed him of a certain HOF career and I still root for him no matter where his managing.

On 10/27/2017 at 4:01 PM, nyjunc said:

they were not going to win the WS in 1994, they may not even have won the division. there was a long way to go and you aren't winning w/ that pitching staff.

That was 23 years ago so your memory is likely shotty.  Yanks were 70-43 (.619), best record in AL (second best in MLB) with a 6.5 game lead over the O's.  Their pitching staff was 4th best in AL in ERA, WHIP.  The Yanks led the AL in WAR and their offense led the AL in OPS.  There was only 49 games left in the season and they had just come off a ridiculous 9-0 West Coast trip with Mattingly hitting a huge homer in Anaheim.  Yanks were hands down the best team in AL that year.  Yes, the postseason is always a crapshoot, but they were winning the East.

4 hours ago, SMC said:

That was 23 years ago so your memory is likely shotty.  Yanks were 70-43 (.619), best record in AL (second best in MLB) with a 6.5 game lead over the O's.  Their pitching staff was 4th best in AL in ERA, WHIP.  The Yanks led the AL in WAR and their offense led the AL in OPS.  There was only 49 games left in the season and they had just come off a ridiculous 9-0 West Coast trip with Mattingly hitting a huge homer in Anaheim.  Yanks were hands down the best team in AL that year.  Yes, the postseason is always a crapshoot, but they were winning the East.

I think Cleveland probably would have won the AL that year too. That's the best roster ever to not win a ring IMO. The fact that they won 100 games in a shortened season the next year was and is still preposterous.

2 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

I think Cleveland probably would have won the AL that year too. That's the best roster ever to not win a ring IMO. The fact that they won 100 games in a shortened season the next year was and is still preposterous.

That Indians team was a great team not to win a ring.   94 Yanks were a very good team, you can argue all day who would have won a playoff series.

That was also the year the Expos had insane talent, the strike killed them.

19 hours ago, SMC said:

my memory is actually really good, I remember that lead dwindling as we hit the strike losing 5 of 6 and seeing a double digit lead down to 6. we had one frontline starter and that was Jimmy Key who is more like a #2/3 starter on a good team. Scott kaminiecki(we saw him in the '95 ALDS remember?) Jim Abbott, Melido Perez- you aren't winning anything w/ a rotation like that.

the west coast trip was 10-1 and they played well but started faltering before the strike, I think they win the division but there's no way that rotation and that lineup win a WS.  It was a next step year, they had competed all year but lost out to Toronto in 1993 then in 1994 they likely would have won the division. 

they had the best record at the time(only a few games above Chi and Cle) but to say they were hands down best in the AL isn't being fair.

Archived