If this wall is talking, Jets should be highly motivated in 2017

Gas2No99

If you're about to ditch the girlfriend, you don't let her tear down and renovate the kitchen do you? since she's on her way out?

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0816%2Fr245219_2

"As players, I thought it was important for them to know their Jets history and their Jets lineage," coach Todd Bowles said of the decision to renovate one of the corridors at One Jets Drive. Courtesy of the New York Jets

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- To change the present, Todd Bowles reached into the past.

And it required an office renovation.

While planning for the 2017 season, the New York Jets' coach did more than overhaul the roster, which got old and stale last year. Bowles wanted to improve the vibe at One Jets Drive, home of the team's state-of-the-art facility. This encompassed several cosmetic changes, the most noticeable of which can be seen in the 100-yard hallway that connects the front lobby to the locker-room area.

What used to be known as "Fan Alley," panoramic stadium photos that stretched the entire length of the corridor, is now a tribute to the greatest players in Jets history. The generic fan shots have been replaced by life-sized pictures of 26 players and one coach (Weeb Ewbank), a virtual Wall of Fame that includes everyone from Joe Namath to Vinny Testaverde.

"As players, I thought it was important for them to know their Jets history and their Jets lineage," Bowles told ESPN. "I wanted them to know how gritty they were and how tough they were back then, and what they stood for in the city. I thought it was important to know who was before them, so they can try to emulate that and go forward from a history standpoint."

Bowles took a hands-on role in the project, selecting which players he wanted on the wall. He made sure every decade is represented, starting with the 1960s. The wall includes most of the Ring of Honor, plus other former players such as Chad Pennington, Wayne Chrebet and Kevin Mawae. The only current players are Leonard Williams and Quincy Enunwa.

Because of the team's recent struggles -- no playoff appearances since 2010 -- millennials might not appreciate the history (as if they were to appreciate ANYTHING that's been handed to them), and that's too bad. It includes many great players, including Hall of Famers Namath, Don Maynard and Curtis Martin. The late Dennis Byrd, tragically killed in a car accident last year, also appears on the wall.

"Playing in the NFL is a dream, and it's awesome to walk down that hallway and see all the Jets greats," Muhammad Wilkerson said. "On top of that, we have the Lombardi. All that should make everybody want to be on that wall and bring a Lombardi here. I know it does for me. You want to be on that wall and be in the Ring of Honor, and be one of the best Jets to ever play. That's a lot of motivation."

Wilkerson was alluding to the new location of the team's lone Lombardi Trophy. At the behest of the players, Bowles agreed to have it moved from the front lobby to the players' lobby, not far from the locker room. It fit nicely into Bowles' master plan for changing the culture.

"You want them to focus and get a little more energy coming into the building," Bowles said. "Putting the Super Bowl trophy down there gives them a goal, 'This is what we're shooting for.' It's easy to say that, but when you see it every day ... It's one team, one goal. The more you hear one team, one goal, you build chemistry and everybody gets on the same page."

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0816%2Fr245220_2 Todd Bowles' theme of "One team, one goal" is pervasive throughout One Jets Drive. Courtesy of the New York Jets

Bowles' new theme -- "One team, one goal" -- is displayed throughout the building. The players see it on the wall in the team auditorium; employees and visitors see it on the door to the main lobby, etched in the glass.

There's also a quote on the door to the locker room: "If you are not prepared to put the team first, turn around." Bowles is big on inspirational quotes, which pop up occasionally on the video monitors throughout the building.

"That reminds them of how I'm feeling when they get too fat and happy," Bowles said, smiling. "The guys have taken to it, and it's working from a chemistry standpoint."

It's not hard to read between the lines: The Jets weren't unified last season, as big egos and overpaid players wrecked the chemistry, and the coach wants to change that. Bowles unloaded many of the bad apples. Now he's trying to galvanize the holdovers and new players.

They've been accused of tanking for the top draft pick in 2018. The politically correct b!tch-@$$ description is a youth movement. Ironically, they're trumpeting the old timers -- the wall of famers -- to provide inspiration. It's a hit among the former greats.

"I'm grateful to the Jets and coach Bowles for appreciating what I've done for the organization as a player and a man," former linebacker Marvin Jones, who appears on the wall. "The Jets over the years have shown that they value their former players and their contributions to the organization.":blink::lol:

Not everyone agrees. Privately, others have said the organization hasn't done enough for its former players. In that sense, Bowles' idea is a win-win. But make no mistake, the purpose is to improve the environment at One Jets Drive.

"In order to help change the culture and change the building, you have to change quite a few things around," Bowles said. "We changed coaches, we changed players and we changed the building."

8 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

Did you hear?  They don't use bar soap or napkins!  

All the millennials in my office killed the Applebee's down the street. Literally blew it up. Then they called and asked if they could come in late today. Makes me sick

16 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

All the millennials in my office killed the Applebee's down the street. Literally blew it up. Then they called and asked if they could come in late today. Makes me sick

Did they call out, citing the need for a "mental health day"? Disgusting.

The Millennials have to pay for my pension so don't be too mean to them.

As for Bowles making these changes, reminds me of my hometown Edmonton Oilers hiring Dallas Eakins as coach and he made all these grabdious changes to the locker room, and training area. and he was the worst stinkin coach in the history o the NHL and was canned after 2 years.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

As for Bowles making these changes, reminds me of my hometown Edmonton Oilers hiring Dallas Eakins as coach and he made all these grabdious changes to the locker room, and training area. and he was the worst stinkin coach in the history o the NHL and was canned after 2 years.

well, I guess we got something to look forward to then.

I like this motif better than that ridiculous "play like a jet" headline that came with the other buffoon. This is more self-less, while Rex's mantra was about proving ones self (as a Jet or a butthole, still unsure), thus being self-centered for anyone that accepted it as credo.

Current Jets Quincy Enunwa (IRed & arrested as a Jet, but acquitted) & Leo Williams make the wall. Did Mangold & Harris make the wall? Is it too soon since they may still potentially play against the Jets (at least Harris)? 

Laverneus Coles, Mawae, and Victor Green DEFINITELY have to be on that wall. 

8 hours ago, Gas2No99 said:

If you're about to ditch the girlfriend, you don't let her tear down and renovate the kitchen do you? since she's on her way out?

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0816%2Fr245219_2

"As players, I thought it was important for them to know their Jets history and their Jets lineage," coach Todd Bowles said of the decision to renovate one of the corridors at One Jets Drive. Courtesy of the New York Jets

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- To change the present, Todd Bowles reached into the past.

And it required an office renovation.

While planning for the 2017 season, the New York Jets' coach did more than overhaul the roster, which got old and stale last year. Bowles wanted to improve the vibe at One Jets Drive, home of the team's state-of-the-art facility. This encompassed several cosmetic changes, the most noticeable of which can be seen in the 100-yard hallway that connects the front lobby to the locker-room area.

What used to be known as "Fan Alley," panoramic stadium photos that stretched the entire length of the corridor, is now a tribute to the greatest players in Jets history. The generic fan shots have been replaced by life-sized pictures of 26 players and one coach (Weeb Ewbank), a virtual Wall of Fame that includes everyone from Joe Namath to Vinny Testaverde.

"As players, I thought it was important for them to know their Jets history and their Jets lineage," Bowles told ESPN. "I wanted them to know how gritty they were and how tough they were back then, and what they stood for in the city. I thought it was important to know who was before them, so they can try to emulate that and go forward from a history standpoint."

Bowles took a hands-on role in the project, selecting which players he wanted on the wall. He made sure every decade is represented, starting with the 1960s. The wall includes most of the Ring of Honor, plus other former players such as Chad Pennington, Wayne Chrebet and Kevin Mawae. The only current players are Leonard Williams and Quincy Enunwa.

Because of the team's recent struggles -- no playoff appearances since 2010 -- millennials might not appreciate the history (as if they were to appreciate ANYTHING that's been handed to them), and that's too bad. It includes many great players, including Hall of Famers Namath, Don Maynard and Curtis Martin. The late Dennis Byrd, tragically killed in a car accident last year, also appears on the wall.

"Playing in the NFL is a dream, and it's awesome to walk down that hallway and see all the Jets greats," Muhammad Wilkerson said. "On top of that, we have the Lombardi. All that should make everybody want to be on that wall and bring a Lombardi here. I know it does for me. You want to be on that wall and be in the Ring of Honor, and be one of the best Jets to ever play. That's a lot of motivation."

Wilkerson was alluding to the new location of the team's lone Lombardi Trophy. At the behest of the players, Bowles agreed to have it moved from the front lobby to the players' lobby, not far from the locker room. It fit nicely into Bowles' master plan for changing the culture.

"You want them to focus and get a little more energy coming into the building," Bowles said. "Putting the Super Bowl trophy down there gives them a goal, 'This is what we're shooting for.' It's easy to say that, but when you see it every day ... It's one team, one goal. The more you hear one team, one goal, you build chemistry and everybody gets on the same page."

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0816%2Fr245220_2 Todd Bowles' theme of "One team, one goal" is pervasive throughout One Jets Drive. Courtesy of the New York Jets

Bowles' new theme -- "One team, one goal" -- is displayed throughout the building. The players see it on the wall in the team auditorium; employees and visitors see it on the door to the main lobby, etched in the glass.

There's also a quote on the door to the locker room: "If you are not prepared to put the team first, turn around." Bowles is big on inspirational quotes, which pop up occasionally on the video monitors throughout the building.

"That reminds them of how I'm feeling when they get too fat and happy," Bowles said, smiling. "The guys have taken to it, and it's working from a chemistry standpoint."

It's not hard to read between the lines: The Jets weren't unified last season, as big egos and overpaid players wrecked the chemistry, and the coach wants to change that. Bowles unloaded many of the bad apples. Now he's trying to galvanize the holdovers and new players.

They've been accused of tanking for the top draft pick in 2018. The politically correct b!tch-@$$ description is a youth movement. Ironically, they're trumpeting the old timers -- the wall of famers -- to provide inspiration. It's a hit among the former greats.

"I'm grateful to the Jets and coach Bowles for appreciating what I've done for the organization as a player and a man," former linebacker Marvin Jones, who appears on the wall. "The Jets over the years have shown that they value their former players and their contributions to the organization.":blink::lol:

Not everyone agrees. Privately, others have said the organization hasn't done enough for its former players. In that sense, Bowles' idea is a win-win. But make no mistake, the purpose is to improve the environment at One Jets Drive.

"In order to help change the culture and change the building, you have to change quite a few things around," Bowles said. "We changed coaches, we changed players and we changed the building."

why not?  it's plenty hard getting motivated i the team is looking back to 1969.  let them understand the recent successes with vinny and sanchez.

7 hours ago, pointman said:

Then what do they use? WHAT!?!

We have this skinny 130lb Vegan kid (yeah, a skinny, weak ass vegan Fireman lol) that uses Rosemary or Sage or some sh*t for soap and deoderant. He smells like we should be throwing him in the oven to roast..... 

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Do you feel the need to take every positive move and turn it into a negative post?  

8 hours ago, j4jets said:

Why Quincy?

My guess is he picked 2 based on putting in extra work/effort that had tangible results. Think Q from 2015 and then Q from 2016. Also shows you don't need to be a high pick or even put up gaudy numbers for the team to recognize your improvement. It's not quite a 1st prize trophy, since he didn't even crack 1000 yds or get probowl type honors, but it's not just a participatiuon trophy either. Maybe somewhere in between lol.

13 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I like this motif better than that ridiculous "play like a jet" headline that came with the other buffoon. This is more self-less, while Rex's mantra was about proving ones self (as a Jet or a butthole, still unsure), thus being self-centered for anyone that accepted it as credo.

Lol and to highlight this notion of selfless, non-individual player worth, he creates a hallway with lifesize pictures of isolated individual players - including 2 on the current roster - and made it known that he's personally hand-picked which individuals have proven worthy of this "medal" even if they were on sucky teams.

The effect? Already, Mo's comment was that he selflessly wants to prove himself worthy of having his individual picture on that wall, and he selflessly wants to prove himself worthy of having his individual name/jersey in the Ring of Honor.

The big problem with Play Like A Jet was it quickly became an embarrassment and a joke, since the losing upon losing effectively equated playing like a Jet with playing like someone who sucks at football. 

Meanwhile this hallway of select player pictures is precisely the opposite of team-first: it's nothing short of a showcase of medals for individual recognition/accomplishment, even if such play was on a team that sucked (see the idea of rewarding Q and Leo with this honor, following a huge letdown season for the team). 

18 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Love that Chad and Vinny are up there.  Marvin Jones too.

The fact that Chad and Vinny are up there and Mark isn't speaks volumes as to why Todd Bowles will never be a successful NFL head coach.

SAR I

10 hours ago, j4jets said:

Why Quincy?

Because they wanted to put one offensive player up there? I think it's stupid to have any current players. What does a guy like Mo think about Leo being on the wall? Does that provide motivation? Resentment? Or a little bit of both? Just not the best plan, IMHO. 

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

The fact that Chad and Vinny are up there and Mark isn't speaks volumes as to why Todd Bowles will never be a successful NFL head coach.

SAR I

Chad and Vinny are infinitely better players than the Bears' third-string QB, the Bears' third-string QB just happened to be on a much better team. 

1 hour ago, slats said:

Because they wanted to put one offensive player up there? I think it's stupid to have any current players. What does a guy like Mo think about Leo being on the wall? Does that provide motivation? Resentment? Or a little bit of both? Just not the best plan, IMHO. 

lol, these guys are all millionaires.  I don't care or worry about what they think. I want them to play up to their contracts.  Seems to me that Leo and Q are.

58 minutes ago, LIJetsFan said:

lol, these guys are all millionaires.  I don't care or worry about what they think. I want them to play up to their contracts.  Seems to me that Leo and Q are.

Well they're certainly not all millionaires - particularly on this year's roster - even though several of them are.

Also I'd say this whole effort is being done by Bowles in the first place precisely to influence what the players think (in this case, buying into a team-first mentality we all ideally want them to have). The problem @slats is alluding to is making a shrine to individuals - particularly current team members, but only 2 of them - is poor execution of a noble goal. 

One might suggest Bowles knows what favorable end result he wants to accomplish, but he doesn't have an eye for strategy as to how he gets there. Almost like a coach who has a particular goal with a planned gameplan, but doesn't take into account the response that naturally follows lol; or like a chess player that doesn't anticipate (and account for) the opponent's next move, let alone multiple moves thereafter.

5 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Gotta love the SOJFs who have an issue with this. Then again, if Bowles bought you guys a birthday cake you'd bitch that the icing could cause cavities. 

Never happy crew.  Complaining which players are on the wall.  What, Vinny and Namath are on the wall and Sanchez isnt?  OMG, the horror.  Leo is up but not Mo?  Q is up, why?

7 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Gotta love the SOJFs who have an issue with this. Then again, if Bowles bought you guys a birthday cake you'd bitch that the icing could cause cavities. 

+1 SOJF's didn't even give Bowles credit for resisting the urge to put Ryan Fitzpatrick and Antonio Cromartie on The Wall.

Archived