Mauldin, Forte Won’t Play Saturday

JetNation

IMG_3258.jpg

New York Jets head coach Todd Bowles announced after practice on Thursday that Gang Green would be without running back Matt Forte and outside linebacker Lorenzo Mauldin when they take on the Lions in Detroit this Saturday.

IMG_3520-300x259.jpg

Matt Forte will be sitting out this Saturday night against the Lions.

Missing game action won’t hurt Forte nearly as much as it could Mauldin, as Forte’s roster spot is all but guaranteed.

Mauldin, on the other hand, missed the team’s week one win over the Tennessee Titans in a game that saw Josh Martin, who is battling Mauldin for the team’s starting spot, come away with a four tackles and a quarterback sack.

If the Jets third year linebacker out of Louisville can’t find a way to get on the field, he’ll certainly have a hard time winning the starting job, and may even be battling for a roster spot.

The Jets have been rotating several players in and out of the weak-side linebacker spot, using Martin, Corey Lemonier, Freddie Bishop and Frank Beltre and rookie draft pick Dylan Donahue.  While it’s not exactly a murderer’s row of linebackers, Mauldin is coming off of a season in which he appeared to be in and out of Todd Bowles’ dog house en route to tallying just 7 solo tackles (9 assists) and 2 1/2 sacks in 11 games (3 starts).

When things kick off in Detroit on Saturday, there’s a good chance that no Jets fan will be watching closer than Mauldin as he can only sit and watch, while others fight it out to take a job that many thought would be his by opening day.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
OxoKsyo334Q

Click here to read the full story...

I think it'd cost $4 mil to move Forte. Just in the name of decency, they should release or trade him. Let him go up to New England where he can have some fun before he's entirely washed. Still mind-boggling that Chan didn't utilize him as a receiver last year, with Fitz having the puny arm and Petty getting killed behind a tanking OL

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think it'd cost $4 mil to move Forte. Just in the name of decency, they should release or trade him. Let him go up to New England where he can have some fun before he's entirely washed. Still mind-boggling that Chan didn't utilize him as a receiver last year, with Fitz having the puny arm and Petty getting killed behind a tanking OL

That was completely mind-boggling.  Forte's addition was a big reason why I thought the offense wouldn't drop off all that much with a tougher schedule.  I thought he'd have 75 catches and keep drives alive.  Alas...he was completely invisible in the passing game.

3 minutes ago, AFJF said:

That was completely mind-boggling.  Forte's addition was a big reason why I thought the offense wouldn't drop off all that much with a tougher schedule.  I thought he'd have 75 catches and keep drives alive.  Alas...he was completely invisible in the passing game.

Another reason Gailey is gone. 

5 minutes ago, AFJF said:

It's weird because Gailey has historically used the RB in the passing game, iirc. Strange.

18 hours ago, Pcola said:

Have to think that Mauldin is going to have a hard time making this team.

I disagree. Unless he has a serious injury or for some reason gets in Bowles 'dog house' again (i.e. the Jets just don't want him anymore), I think he makes the team.

Last year they carried 9 LBs. If we assume Davis, Lee, Jenkins are locks. And we assume Martin and Stanford make it b/c of how well they have been playing. And what the heck, let's just assume Donahue makes it b/c Greene likes him and he was a 5th round pick. That still leaves 3 open spots (assuming they carry 9). Remaining LBs: Mauldin, Beltre, Bishop, Carter, Harris, Johnson, Lemonier, Paysinger. None of these guys have shown much so far or separated themselves in any way, at least Mauldin has the injury excuse. Personally, I think Mauldin, Lemonier and Carter end up sticking and the rest are cut. *Harris is a prime PS candidate.  

6 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I disagree. Unless he has a serious injury or for some reason gets in Bowles 'dog house' again (i.e. the Jets just don't want him anymore), I think he makes the team.

Last year they carried 9 LBs. If we assume Davis, Lee, Jenkins are locks. And we assume Martin and Stanford make it b/c of how well they have been playing. And what the heck, let's just assume Donahue makes it b/c Greene likes him and he was a 5th round pick. That still leaves 3 open spots (assuming they carry 9). Remaining LBs: Mauldin, Beltre, Bishop, Carter, Harris, Johnson, Lemonier, Paysinger. None of these guys have shown much so far or separated themselves in any way, at least Mauldin has the injury excuse. Personally, I think Mauldin, Lemonier and Carter end up sticking and the rest are cut. *Harris is a prime PS candidate.  

let's hope they come up with a better roster allocation than 9 lbs and 4 qbs.

2 minutes ago, PepPep said:

I like Mauldin personally.  I can appreciate everything he has gone through as a child and young adult to get here.  But this is his third season and when he is healthy, I don't know if his play warrants staying ahead of Bishop and Martin.  With Donahue being a lock, it could be a battle between Carter, Lemonier, and Mauldin for the 8th spot.

Just now, Pcola said:

I like Mauldin personally.  I can appreciate everything he has gone through as a child and young adult to get here.  But this is his third season and when he is healthy, I don't know if his play warrants staying ahead of Bishop and Martin.  With Donahue being a lock, it could be a battle between Carter, Lemonier, and Mauldin for the 8th spot.

there are too many plays mauldin gets washed out of the play and is a non factor, he's too straightlinish.  i don't see what he's done to earn a roster spot.

17 hours ago, ASH1962 said:

Forte is old, Mauldin reminds me of Vernon Ghoulston, what a stiff he has turned out to be

Pretty much think hes the anti Vernon.

Gholoston was a dog who never seemed like he had a motor or wanted to improve.  Mauldin at least goes after it when healthy.

And of course has some sacks, unlike VG

23 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Well, like I said. I think Lee, Davis, Jenkins, Martin, Donahue, Stanford, Lemonier and Carter ALL make it. Again, assuming they carry 9. And I think Harris will go to PS.

So its going to be between Mauldin, Bishop, Beltre, Johnson and Paysinger for the last spot. Am I missing anyone? It just seems like Mauldin has a clear edge over those other 4 guys despite being banged up.  

34 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

let's hope they come up with a better roster allocation than 9 lbs and 4 qbs.

Huh? What do you mean?

I'm just going by what the Jets typically carry into the season. As far as LBs- in 2014 they carried 9, in 2015 they carried 8 in 2016 they carried 9. Yea, I know they carried 4 QBs last year- that was def. an outlier.  

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

Well, like I said. I think Lee, Davis, Jenkins, Martin, Donahue, Stanford, Lemonier and Carter ALL make it. Again, assuming they carry 9. And I think Harris will go to PS.

So its going to be between Mauldin, Bishop, Beltre, Johnson and Paysinger for the last spot. Am I missing anyone? It just seems like Mauldin has a clear edge over those other 4 guys despite being banged up.  

I'm a big Lemonier fan, and I really hope he sticks.  However, much to my dismay, he's been pretty "meh" in camp so far.

1 hour ago, PepPep said:

I could be wrong but didn't Bishop start last week against Ten?  I think I even saw where he will likely start again this week.  I assumed that he was safe.  But like you said, if they keep 9, he's got a pretty good chance, if they keep 8, he may be on the outside looking in.

Regardless of whether he stays, I would have to think a 3rd round draft pick in his third year, should be better than 6th best LB on a team with a below average at best LB corp.

I think Mauldin may be looking like one of those guys who just does not have the drive to play this game.  All of the pieces do not fit together right-the incident in the club, back pain, lack of production.   There are other players who are likely looking much more motivated.  But it pretty much caps off a bad 2015 draft class, understanding that I think he was still using Idzik/Bradway guys.  I think the Jets are doing a better job now scouting personality, character, etc.

Forte I just don't get.  If there was a RB who fit this team better and offered something for the future, I would go with him and eat Forte's comp.  

One day the truth will come out as to how badly the coaching staff worked last year.  I think Bowles learned something.  Hopefully not too late.

3 hours ago, Pcola said:

Why is Donahue a lock? 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Why is Donahue a lock? 

Probably because Kevin Greene personally picked him and has been raving about him since OTAs.  The fact that he went to a small college and has been in the league for a month and he is at least on level with Mauldin.  It would be a shock if he is let go.

What a waste Forte has been! He basically started the 2016 season on fire & petered out after the Bills game. STOP SIGNING OLD WASHED UP PLAYERS!!!

Its like they haven't learned their lesson from Leonard Marshall & Ronnie Lott days! My god, smarten up already. Anyone on this board could have done a better job in the draft & free agency from 2009-2016.

On 8/17/2017 at 7:50 PM, T0mShane said:

Why would the Jets do that? Forte is still pretty good and his salary is guaranteed.

On 8/18/2017 at 2:42 PM, Pcola said:

can't say i like him personally but it does look like the guy took a very hard road to get to where he is and it's too bad he's not panning out yet.  hopefully he'll be able to get his game together and soon.

Archived