NFLPA: Work stoppage in 2021 'almost a virtual certainty'

Gas2No99

NFLPA Head DeMaurice Smith: Work stoppage in 2021 'almost a virtual certainty'

NFLPA head: 2021 strike or lockout very likely

NFL Players Association executive director DeMaurice Smith told The MMQB/Sports Illustrated in a video interview posted Thursday that he expects a work stoppage when the league's current collective bargaining agreement expires in 2021.

"I think that the likelihood of either a strike or a lockout is almost a virtual certainty," he said.

"So we have a new deal where if it doesn't get fixed, you head into a certain 'small-a' Armageddon."

DeMaurice Smith on the current CBA

The NFL and its union agreed to the current 10-year CBA on July 25, 2011. That agreement came after a 132-day lockout.

The agreed-upon CBA hasn't meant there has been labor peace, however, as the NFLPA has clashed with the NFL over player discipline in such high-profile cases as Adrian Peterson's suspension for child abuse, Tom Brady's Deflategate suspension and, most recently, Ezekiel Elliott's suspension for alleged domestic violence.

On Wednesday, the NFL and the players' association released dueling statements in which the NFL alleged that the union was releasing details of Elliott's accuser's text messages to discredit her. The NFLPA responded by calling the accusations a lie.

The previous NFL CBA was agreed upon in 2006. The owners, however, opted out of the agreement in 2008, and it expired on March 11, 2011, after a one-week extension of negotiations failed to result in a new agreement.

The last time NFL players missed games was the 24-day strike in 1987, which began after Week 2 and prompted the NFL to cancel its Week 3 games and shorten the season to 15 games. The league played with replacement players for the next three weeks until the players ended their strike after Week 6.

Smith was asked whether he expected there would be missed games if a work stoppage happens in 2021.

"I don't know now, but I mean let's look at our history," Smith said. "The owners do a deal in 2006 and opt out in 2008. We do a deal in 2011 with no opt-outs because we like the benefits under the current deal and we didn't want to give the owners an opportunity to opt out and take back the gains that we currently have.

"If there is no renegotiation of the collective bargaining agreement and we reach 2021, there is no uncapped year, right? Because the last time we went through it, we found out the owners lied and cheated about the uncapped year. So why would I do that again?"

Smith said the union hasn't seen the benefits it thought it would when it agreed to the current CBA.

"All of the mutual benefits that were supposed to happen as a result of the opt-out didn't happen last time," Smith said. "Owners colluded with each other, and we found out they colluded with each other. And all of the bad things that went to the players happened, and none of the bad things that went to the owners happened. So we have a new deal where if it doesn't get fixed, you head into a certain 'small-a' Armageddon."

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

"The owners do a deal in 2006 and opt out in 2008. We do a deal in 2011 with no opt-outs because we like the benefits under the current deal and we didn't want to give the owners an opportunity to opt out and take back the gains that we currently have.

Smith said the union hasn't seen the benefits it thought it would when it agreed to the current CBA.

DeMaurice Smith: "I am an idiot." 

17 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

DeMaurice Smith: "I am an idiot." 

They will lose total public sentiment and sympathy making these comments this early in negotiations.

I am sure they have some real issues that need to be tackled, including healthcare, pensions and player safety. But those can be bargained outside of the press, unless there is a stalemate approaching contract deadline. They are not close to that point right now.

25 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

They will lose total public sentiment and sympathy making these comments this early in negotiations.

I am sure they have some real issues that need to be tackled, including healthcare, pensions and player safety. But those can be bargained outside of the press, unless there is a stalemate approaching contract deadline. They are not close to that point right now.

I wasn't even referring to the stupidity of making these comments this far in advance.  I was referring to the points I left in the quote.  He got crushed in 2011.  His comments on it?  1.  We did not allow opt-outs because we liked the deal.  2.  The deal wasn't as good as we thought it was.  Duh.

The NFL better hope two new people are crafting/negotiating the new CBA or they can bring on the replacements, the NFL in it's current form will not come back from a major strike for many years - remember baseball after Aug. 12, 1994 - that had as much to due with the rise of the NFL as anything or anyone since

The NFL still makes piles of money. There is no reason it doesn't give retired players high quality health care , nor why they don't count practice squad time count toward vesting pensions.If Smith attacked those basic things, he wins concessions easily. But he has never done that. And the shiny trinkets of nonguaranteed contracts are a joke Smith has gone along with since most players are gone inside 3 years anyway.Saying you are going for a work stoppage 4 years in advance again shows Smith is a moron who will get rolled again. 

Let them strike, or lock out.  Players take all the risk and are subject to ridiculous policies under the current CBA.

Medical marijuana?  No, that's dangerous.  Here, take another heap of percocets instead....

Player safety?  Yeah, we take that seriously.  Now how about we add 2 more games to the schedule...

The NFL just keeps going further and further downhill. The product is a shell of what it was. Both sides are greedy and short sighted. Gambling is the only thing keeping it as high as it is.

The thing is how much worse does it get before the networks stop paying the big bucks?

If you start seeing teams getting sold it's the beginning of the downfall.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

As a fan, my impression is the players association sucks, didn't they get rid of all the practices before the season and during? If that was still in place I think their would be a lot less injuries.

Less hitting leads to more severe injuries?  No team only is that wrong, players don't want extra hitting as much or more than the owners want to lose players to career ending injuries.  

Always intrigued me as to why fans want their players smashing each other in the hot practice days and why they get so pissed by changes made to help players last longer.  

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

NFLPA, defending rapists, thugs, wife beaters, drug addicts all the live long day.

The NFLPA represents their players. Their players come from bad neighborhoods and are coached up to be "killers" on the field. To blame the NFLPA for doing their job is  ludicrous. Do you blame lawyers that represent murders and rapists? 

Should the NFLPA come out in defense of some batsh!t women that the police didn't take seriously enough to press chargers? 

36 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

The NFLPA represents their players. Their players come from bad neighborhoods and are coached up to be "killers" on the field. To blame the NFLPA for doing their job is  ludicrous. Do you blame lawyers that represent murders and rapists? 

Should the NFLPA come out in defense of some batsh!t women that the police didn't take seriously enough to press chargers? 

Batshlt women that the police didn't take seriously?  When was this? 

1 hour ago, thadude said:

If Goodell is still the commissioner in 2021 this is absolutely going to happen.  He has no idea how to handle this effectively.

Which probably explains why he hasn't had a history of work stoppages while he's been commissioner as did all the others before him.  

Without gambling & fantasy the NFL would be looked at much differently in 2021. As a life long fan, the game just isn't that good & its getting worse. There are not enough good QBs and the rules have skewed to the offense. Half the teams in this league can't score points because their QBs suck. Meanwhile we get to watch Tom Brady kill everyone each & every year & skate into the playoffs with home field advantage 75% of the time.

Hes not playing teams even close to as good as their was in years past like Walsh 49ers or the Jimmy Johnsons Cowboys. How many prime time games did you turn off at halftime last year? For me it was more than ever. The over saturation of information & games, Monday, Thursday, Sunday (3 games), is overkill. I love coming to this board to see what's happening with the Jets because I refuse to watch NFL Network, or any show on ESPN regarding the NFL.

And like someone else mentioned it will be just our luck that Hackenberg turns into a fine QB, the Jets are touted as Super Bowl contenders & the NFL goes on strike. That would probably be the last nail in the coffin for me regarding the NFL.

Archived