can the jets go from worst to first in 2017 ? ? ?

kelly

We told you so.

Last year at this time, we told you that the Dallas Cowboys were the most likely team in the NFL to go from a last-place division finish in 2015 to a first-place ranking in 2016, and that's exactly what happened. Of course, we said that would happen because Tony Romo would return to the field, not because Dak Prescottwould have a rookie season for the ages. But hey, either way, the results are the same.Dallas wasn't the only worst-to-first team in 2016. The Titans also pulled it off, though they missed out on a playoff berth due to tiebreakers with Houston. The Dolphins and Buccaneers also rebounded nicely, with Miami securing its first playoff berth since 2008 and Tampa Bay its first winning season since 2010. Meanwhile, the Chargers, Bears, Browns and 49ers each pulled off the "worst-to-worst" achievement, if you want to call it that, finishing in last place again.

This year, our top pick to go from worst-to-first is a team that flirted with a perfect season just two years ago: the Carolina Panthers, who will square off with last year's conference champs, the Atlanta Falcons, in a race that should come down to the wire.We've gone through the eight teams that finished in last place in each division last season, ranked by their odds of making the postseason in 2017. These odds are based on the 2017 simulation that we ran for our new book "Football Outsiders Almanac 2017." The system predicts each team's DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average, explained here) on offense, defense and special teams using a number of variables, including performance over the past three years, coaching experience and personnel changes. Then we simulate the season a million times to get a wide range of possibilities that account for every team's best-case and worst-case scenario.

Note: Simulations were run prior to Ezekiel Elliott's suspension announcement and the Buffalo Bills' pair of trades.

~ ~   8. New York Jets

Odds of winning division : 5.1 percent (4th in division)
Odds of making playoffs : 14.6 percent (31st in NFL)

Like the 49ers and Browns, the Jets were very bad in 2016. Unlike the 49ers and Browns, they have no idea what the hell they are doing. They signed a bad, old quarterback in Josh McCown, who has won all of 18 starts in 14 NFL seasons. At age 38, McCown has zero long-term upside, and his presence on the team will only block the evaluation and development of youngsters Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg. Brandon Marshall's departure and Quincy Enunwa's injury will leave McCown trying to complete passes to alleged wide receivers named Robby Anderson, Jalin Marshall and Charone Peake, which sounds ... challenging. We should point out that New York's 5.1 percent odds of winning the AFC East were calculated when we thought Enunwa would be the Jets' top target -- we haven't re-run them yet, but they would be even lower now.

The Jets have quite a few good players on defense, most notably the defensive line trio of Leonard Williams, Sheldon Richardson and Muhammad Wilkerson. They should shut down opposing run games once again, which will mean a big contract for Richardson when he signs elsewhere after the season.

General manager Mike Maccagnan and head coach Todd Bowles are good bets to be fired after the season, if not sooner, so the Jets lack the 49ers' stability at the top of the organization as well as the Browns' draft capital next season. And we haven't even mentioned that the Jets share a division with the reigning Super Bowl champions and the rulers of the NFL for the past decade and a half, the New England Patriots. Look for another examination of a last-place Jets team when we run this same piece in August of 2018.

rest of above article : 

>    http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20368242/nfl-ranking-most-likely-worst-first-teams-2017-season

I think the team was super smart with the assistant coaches they hired and that just might save Todd Bowles but only time will tell. I think a lot of these analysts are talking out of their asses right now and just going with whatever everyone else is saying.  There is no way in hell we are the worst team in the NFL.  There will always be the Browns.  Always.

asinine blurb.  Hack is being given every opportunity to win the starting job.  If he's not ready now that doesn't mean he won't ever be ready .  He's 22 and learning a new system.  The last coaches openly admitted they had no interest in helping him improve last year.

This notion you're blocking his development by not playing him is overplayed and lazy.  You're blocking his development if you force him into the lineup. 

The jury is still out, but it would appear that the Bills and the Jets are both trying to sneakily tank while still building.  The Jets strategy is to develop their defense but gut their offense, so the offense gets developed later.  

I can see the Jets messing this up, so the Jets can go from 4th to 3rd if they leapfrog the bills.  I do have more confidence that the Bills have a more organized plan in place, and they could be better situated to execute the tank.

16 minutes ago, Fantasy Island said:

I would like to see the Pats go from first to worst.   I would like to see us improve upon last years win total and finally build a cohesive team and culture.

Yep, and have another great QB for the next 15 years

• 4 weeks later...

That would be the worst thing for this franchise.  They need to be bad.  Epically bad for 2-3 years.  They need to be picking at the top of the draft multiple times to get a top flight, qb, wr, oline, te and rb.  

It is times to spend all resources through the draft on top flight offensive skill position players. 

We need our, carson wentz, aj green, rob gronkowski, ezekial elliot etc.

5 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

That would be the worst thing for this franchise.  They need to be bad.  Epically bad for 2-3 years.  They need to be picking at the top of the draft multiple times to get a top flight, qb, wr, oline, te and rb.  

It is times to spend all resources through the draft on top flight offensive skill position players. 

We need our, carson wentz, aj green, rob gronkowski, ezekial elliot etc.

They only need to be the worst team in the league THIS year.  That would give the the top pick in the draft plus #33, #65 and Seattle's second round pick. That's 4 picks in the top 65, including 1 overall, coupled with $85 million or so to spend in FA. If some of the younger players already on the roster develop, the Jets could be seriously improved in '18 And for years going forward. 

-- Starting Sunday, the New York Jets will begin a 14-day period that will determine the narrative for the remainder of the season.

It's the softest stretch on their schedule -- relatively speaking, of course. If they fall to 0-5 by losing to the Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars and Cleveland Browns, they will stamp themselves as legitimate contenders for 0-16.Which, of course, would be just fine and dandy for the card-carrying members of the "Suck for Sam" movement. The Jets players want no part of that conversation. They want to win -- soon -- to avoid becoming a national punchline, if they aren't already."For us, [we have to] continue to show the improvement and the signs of improvement, so at some point -- and we hope it’s this week -- we start playing the kind of football that we know we’re capable of playing," quarterback Josh McCown said.

Prediction : The Jets will win at least one of the next three, and I'm thinking the Jaguars are the most likely victim. The Oct. 1 game will be played at MetLife Stadium, and the Jaguars have dropped 23 of their last 26 on the road. They'll be playing with no bye week after a trip to London. Plus, they have Blake Bortlesat quarterback. If he's benched -- certainly a possibility -- it'll be Chad Henne. Either way, it could be the most winnable game on the Jets' schedule.

The Jets actually showed some progress against the Oakland Raiders even if the scoreboard was as ugly as some of the costumes in the Black Hole -- 45-20. To validate the baby-step talk, they need to play a strong game in their home opener against the Dolphins, who were lucky to escape Los Angeles with a win in their hurricane-delayed opener.With back-to-back home games, the Jets -- 0-2 for the first time since 2007 -- have a chance to make a statement. How they handle the homestand will tell us if this will be a historically bad year or if the roster assembled by general manager Mike Maccagnan has any hope."I think we’re learning a lot," coach Todd Bowles said of his team. "We learned a lot as the two weeks went by the past two weeks, but we’ll learn a lot more these next two weeks whether we can correct these mistakes, which I’m pretty sure we can."

The Dolphins, Jaguars and Browns are a combined 2-3, and none of their quarterbacks should scare the Jets. The Browns are starting rookie DeShone Kizer, a second-round pick whom the Jets passed on twice. It's one thing to lose to Derek Carr on the road, but the Jets should be able to deal with the mistake-prone Kizer in the Dawg Pound.But you know the Browns are looking at the Jets as the one game on their schedule they can't lose. The winner will salvage some pride, but hurt their chances in the "race" for the No. 1 pick.In the latest ESPN Power Rankings, the Jets are 32nd, with the Browns (29th) and Jaguars (25th) close behind -- or ahead, depending on your perspective."I know my team. I know the locker room. I’ve seen a lot, I’ve been around these guys quite a bit, and I have every confidence in the world in them," said Bowles. "We have a lot of fight in us."

If they lose the next three, they'll return home in Week 6.

Against the New England Patriots, who will show no mercy.

>   http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/71397/three-game-stretch-will-determine-if-jets-are-legit-contenders-for-0-16

Archived