Game Observations (DET)

KRL

When a young team doesn't play complementary football you get what you saw last night.
An offense that doesn't sustain drives or score points puts the defense on the field
too often.  Which leads to fatigue and missed tackles particularly at this stage of
pre-season.  Let's take a look:

- I'll give credit to the staff for changing up the QB rotation but Christian Hackenberg
was overwhelmed.  He faced the standard defense a DC will throw against a young QB and
couldn't produce.  DET stacked the box against the run and sat on all short routes and
dared Hackenberg to do something

- The OLine didn't produce enough push in the run game and had too many "whiffs" on blocks
which led to rushed throws and sacks

- The first extended action from the two young safeties led to a mixed bag.  Marcus Maye
was an enforcer and had some good coverage moments.  Jamal Adams did a good job diagnosing
plays and was in position but missed way too many tackles

- Special teams ball security has too improve.  Frankie Hammond whiffing on a punt is not
acceptable

- Missed INT opportunities are also not acceptable.  Juston Burris has to pick off that tipped
pass early in the game.  When the defense can set up the offense for points it has to execute

- Dexter McDougle had another terrific game, his coverage was excellent his tackling was physical
and he brought pressure on blitzes.  Has he jumped over Marcus Williams in the CB rotation?

- Bryce Petty deserves credit for leading the team to it's only points and avoiding a shutout

- Josh Martin (OLB) continued his excellent summer with another impactful game

- Marcus Murphy (RB) showed some promise as the lead returner but again the ball can't end up
on the ground

- Corey Lemonier (OLB) had an excellent game with an INT and a sack.  Lorenzo Mauldin needs to
get on the field and show up because he has competition

- A couple of nice catches by Myles White (WR) on Petty passes   

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The focus is on the abysmal QB play, but I'm much more concerned by the OL play.  That was about as bad as I've seen.  Hackenberg was awful, no disputing that, but Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have done much with that line play.  That's not an excuse, it's just a reality.  

3 years of B+M, and an asst. coach scapegoat purge, and the issues are all identical to the moment they were hired. Can't hide behind Rex/Tanny/Idzik anymore. 3 years is how long a turn-around should take. They shouldn't be 'starting' the rebuild now - they should be proving they've got the change in place, and underway successfully.

Nothing about the state of this team is acceptable.

5 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

3 years of B+M, and an asst. coach scapegoat purge, and the issues are all identical to the moment they were hired. Can't hide behind Rex/Tanny/Idzik anymore. 3 years is how long a turn-around should take. They shouldn't be 'starting' the rebuild now - they should be proving they've got the change in place, and underway successfully.

Monkey say monkey true..:)

17 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

The focus is on the abysmal QB play, but I'm much more concerned by the OL play.  That was about as bad as I've seen.  Hackenberg was awful, no disputing that, but Aaron Rodgers wouldn't have done much with that line play.  That's not an excuse, it's just a reality.  

I've watched about 6 games from yesterday, and not one other team looked as inept blocking like the Jets did.

I don't know. I just re-watched the first half. And the oline was just awful. I counted 3 plays that were on Hack. He missed Anderson, overthrowing him. A lowball to ASJ. And the ball slipping out of his hand. The rest of the time he didn't stand a chance. And I feel like a lot of it was an effort getting Powell a bunch of reps. At least that's the excuse i'm using for running the ball over and over on first and second down.

6 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

I don't know. I just re-watched the first half. And the oline was just awful. I counted 3 plays that were on Hack. He missed Anderson, overthrowing him. A lowball to ASJ. And the ball slipping out of his hand. The rest of the time he didn't stand a chance. And I feel like a lot of it was an effort getting Powell a bunch of reps. At least that's the excuse i'm using for running the ball over and over on first and second down.

I think that's a fair assessment , everyone needs to realize this is a rebuilding team with players to judge at every position especially on offense. Would the offense have looked more proficient with McCown under center - possibly but that's what game experience buys you. Hack needs these reps as a valuable learning tool , he can go back now and look at film and finds things he can correct . 

And I agree I don't think last night  all falls on Hack's shoulders , even though he didn't perform well in limited real opportunities. 

Bottom line if the Oline blocks like it did last night - none of the Qb's will survive the season. 

The OL failed and did Hack no favors.  In response Hack didn't do himself any favors.  

When you're basically a rookie QB playing under that kind of fire it's hard to take anything away from his performance.  

The best pass rush Brady sees turns him into a completely different QB and he's never been under the constant pressure Hack saw last night

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

The OL failed and did Hack no favors.  In response Hack didn't do himself any favors.  

When you're basically a rookie QB playing under that kind of fire it's hard to take anything away from his performance.  

The best pass rush Brady sees turns him into a completely different QB and he's never been under the constant pressure Hack saw last night

It's funny Pat Mahomes had someone in his face on almost every single pass play last night, yet he lead 2 75 yard TD scoring drives.

4 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

It's funny Pat Mahomes had someone in his face on almost every single pass play last night, yet he lead 2 75 yard TD scoring drives.

Mahomes has yet to go up with ones and the number 1 defensive units.  

He was what 4 of 7 in game one against scrubs?  With better offensive talent all around him?  

Nothing funny about you trying to derail a thread about the Jet game last night by pimping Mahomes for no apparent reason.  They play for different teams, he's on a 11 win team and Hack is on a couple of win team.  

Enough with your Mahomes nonsense, no one cares

Just now, T0mShane said:

Hey guys why does the offensive line seem competent when quarterbacks other than Christian Hackenberg are playing? 

Because they arent facing the same DL? 

Why did the offensive line not cause issues for Hack last week?   But pressured Petty last week? 

That slop last night was the same thing we have seen going on 3 years now. Terrible offensive play selection featuring zero offensive imagination, never putting guys in the right positions to succeed, disgustingly hideously piss poor OL play allowing a rookie QB to get absolutely pulverized on his first drop back (like he did at PSU for 3 years), hideous execution, no fire whatsoever, piss poor tackling by Calvin Pryor, oh sorry I mean Jamal the superstar #6 can't miss franchise pick Adams. Last week was a mirage as far as the attitude and fire is concerned, my mistake, I overreacted to that performance. I thought perhaps maybe the team would make an effort this season to compete, last night that was obviously not the case. Sorry, but hit any QB like Hack got hit on his first drop back last night and you would be fortunate that the guy even gets up in once piece. I don't care who the QB is, no blocking equals no production, period. Hit Brady or Rodgers like Hack got hit and see how much production you would get from him IF he is able to get up and walk. The running game is a total joke. What, the old man returning is going to make the running game better? L O L. Dropped passes on O and dropped int's on D continue. Where was the Defensive speed we saw against TN? If memory serves we had a grand total of 0 sacks last night? Too many penalties again is nothing new when you get manhandled as we had a nice KR negated by penalty as well. ST's reverted to last years form allowing a few nice punt returns.

Oh and can someone please tell our great new disciplinarian savior of an OC that it is ok to throw on first down please? His play calling has been Hackett'esque so far in 2 (albeit) PS games. Dull, boring, unimaginative, totally predictable and completely unproductive so far. If you expect a rookie, or mostly any QB to be able to extend drives having to convert 3rd and 10+ time after time, you are asking way too much. But in all fairness, whichever QB was back there last night would have gotten decapitated on first, second or third down anyway so it really does not matter. Our OL is a joke, maybe the worst we have seen in decades. If their sub par amateurish play continues, most RS games will be over in the first quarter because we are basically done the minute we fall behind by more than a FG. Oh, did our WR's or TE's catch one ball last night? ASJ had one bad drop, I remember that. Leggett caught one in the second half in mega garbage time.

Overall we can see where this is going. I was hoping that these young players would rise up and compete making this season watchable at least. That was not the case last night, from what I saw, nobody on the team competed. With the best team in the history of the NFL (according to the NY media) coming up and all of the BS surrounding the players that defected, we will see what kind of heart and desire we have on this roster. I am no longer expecting anything after last night, as I saw the same old $hit from a Bowles (not)-coached team.

21 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Hmmm.  Seems like you must be pushing some agenda, otherwise there would be no reason to make that up.  He had pressure on maybe 4 plays.  2 of those were simple step ups from a DE getting pushed passed him.

He has ALL DAY to throw on most of these.  Starts dancing in the face of nothing on most of them too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VAha2FizYFs

15 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Mahomes has yet to go up with ones and the number 1 defensive units.  

He was what 4 of 7 in game one against scrubs?  With better offensive talent all around him?  

Nothing funny about you trying to derail a thread about the Jet game last night by pimping Mahomes for no apparent reason.  They play for different teams, he's on a 11 win team and Hack is on a couple of win team.  

Enough with your Mahomes nonsense, no one cares

Actually his first drive last night was with the 1's vs the 1's, go watch the game like I did.

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Hmmm.  Seems like you must be pushing some agenda, otherwise there would be no reason to make that up.  He had pressure on maybe 4 plays.  2 of those were simple step ups from a DE getting pushed passed him.

He has ALL DAY to throw on most of these.  Starts dancing in the face of nothing on most of them too.

Lol he literally turns around on those 4 plays with a unblocked defender in his face, and on almost every other pass play gets leveled as he throws, or steps up to avoid the oncoming edge rusher I did watch.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

Actually his first drive last night was with the 1's vs the 1's, go watch the game like I did.

So we're Hacks first couple of drives last week and all of his last night.  Again the talent of each QBs teams are in no way comparable.  But you're still pimping your guy.  Got it.  When he's starting and becomes a franchise QB put up a post gloating.  Not after 1 pass in camp against air like you have. 

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

Dexter McDougle

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So we're Hacks first couple of drives last week and all of his last night.  Again the talent of each QBs teams are in no way comparable.  But you're still pimping your guy.  Got it.  When he's starting and becomes a franchise QB put up a post gloating.  Not after 1 pass in camp against air like you have. 

Guess you couldn't come up with a counter to the teams aren't compatible or that we should just wait for Mahomes to actually become a starter before naming him a franchise QB, so you're left with bringing out the buttfumble icon.  The new crutch of the board. 

50 minutes ago, Squirt said:

Going to be a long season. Bowles is not the answer. I'm afraid it will be years or decades before our Jets become a great franchise if ever. 

To me the coaching was fine.  The players were prepared and played with fire, there was just a lack of execution at times, especially on the OL.

1 hour ago, HawkeyeJet said:

IIRC they stopped hitting/practicing in pads this week was it halfway thru Wednesday or Thursday's practice? IMO all these practices should be in pads and hitting. There is so little padded practices permitted they should be hitting every TC practice..That is why TC rosters are 90 players..

“My initial feeling without watching film is that we didn’t have enough sustained drives and we didn’t do our part to help out the defense,” Ijalana said. “It took us awhile to get anything started. And, looking at the scoreboard, obviously we didn’t score any touchdowns.”

So all that I have heard is that behind second team OL and press coverage, Hackenberg struggled. 

Duh

I have heard that Jamal Adams missed tackles.

Duh. He's a rookie.

So people are screaming outrage at Bowles and Maccagnan for things that arent a surprise. 

Very weird. The Lions scored 13 points so the Jets defense wasn't being dragged up and down the field. The offense sucked as most people think it will anyway

37 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Thank you!!

Hack didn't have the time to throw on one play that Mahomes had all night long!! 

Hackenberg proved to me last night that he is not only not the answer, but that he should be cut from the team.  He is not good enough to be the 3rd QB on our team.  I would give Petty every opportunity in the next game to see if he can be the starter going into the season.  I believe our GM should be fired after the season for this awful decision to draft Hackenberg in the first place.  Bowles should go as well after the season if not before.  In addition, we have completely forgotten about drafting Offensive linemen, and it showed last night.  That is again on our lousy GM.  This Jets team will struggle to win 2 games this year, and if we win more than that, I would be shocked.

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

that was my takeaway...seems first PS game was all about working on the quick, short passing game...Last night it seemed their plan was trying to work on the running game with Powell back and shuffling the OL around...

I have no idea but to me their plan seems to be just run plays, like in practice, without any 'game plan" specific plays i.e. attack that CB who is weak, or this part of the field is open under this scenario based on film study of DET..But who knows..I've been wrong plenty of times before...

6 minutes ago, Alka said:

Hackenberg proved to me last night that he is not only not the answer, but that he should be cut from the team.  He is not good enough to be the 3rd QB on our team.  I would give Petty every opportunity in the next game to see if he can be the starter going into the season.  I believe our GM should be fired after the season for this awful decision to draft Hackenberg in the first place.  Bowles should go as well after the season if not before.  In addition, we have completely forgotten about drafting Offensive linemen, and it showed last night.  That is again on our lousy GM.  This Jets team will struggle to win 2 games this year, and if we win more than that, I would be shocked.

This is typical overreaction...2 freakin PS games in. 

My gawd Cimini, yes Cimini just said Thursday, when asked the difference between Hack last season to now, is night and day (paraphrasing).  Cimini!  Who never says anything positive..

1 hour ago, Squirt said:

Going to be a long season. Bowles is not the answer. I'm afraid it will be years or decades before our Jets become a great franchise if ever. 

We'll put you down for your next post here in 2039.   

Archived