The two safeties vs Watson/Mahomes and Cook

Pointdexter

Just now, Lil Woody said:

Because they didn't have any QBs on the rosters, and they took what was available to them.  Nobody used any 1st round picks.  So nobody "staked" their careers on anything. 

It's semantics. You draft a QB in the first two rounds and you're effectively going all-in on them. Idzik and Maccagnan have showed zero appetite to look at QBs outside of the ones they drafted early. Point being, if you're gonna waste a top 50 pick drafting a QB, you might as well draft one you're not going to be disgusted by after three weeks.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, j4jets said:

You need leadership traits with your 6th overall pick. Who cares about franchise QBs? Now just watch Adams transform this young group into the 85 Bears squad!

Which franchise QB were you pushing for at 6?  Who was a cant miss, franchise QB.  Which one? You keep blabbing but never give us the QB who was going to change things.

Pretty much all you can do is talk negative and make fun of the fact that everywhere the kid goes hes a leader.  To a true devoted fan thats an open door to make fun of the pick.

7 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

It's semantics. You draft a QB in the first two rounds and you're effectively going all-in on them. Idzik and Maccagnan have showed zero appetite to look at QBs outside of the ones they drafted early. Point being, if you're gonna waste a top 50 pick drafting a QB, you might as well draft one you're not going to be disgusted by after three weeks.

Pure and utter fantasy talk.  How do you know Macc has zero appetite to look ar QBs?  He drafted one in each of his first two drafts.  That he probably didnt like anyone available at 6 has you convinced its a character flaw in the GM.  Doesnt come close to meaning that he is all in on Hack and wouldnt draft someone he thinks is a better prospect.  

15 minutes ago, Dcat said:

No doubt the bad oline was a major factor in yesterday's failure.  But be honest here.  I've watched every move Hack has made on the field in the 2 games. Even when everyone said how he didn't look terrible in game 1, and I;ll agree with that, he sure as hell didn't look good either.  Good QBs show some sign of glimmer, even with a sub standard oline.  Hackenburg has shown essentially nothing.  He managed those super fast checkdowns in game 1, no doubt many were supposed to go that way, but he must have been shell shocked at Penn, because he doesn't handle pass rush too well.  Frankly, from what we've seen he's not even good enough to overtake McCown in a 'tank' season .  That says a lot right there.  McCown will start the first month of the season.  There will be a point when either injury or sucktitude will bench him for Hack or Petty.  

p.s.  I call it a tank season because management (translation: most lieky Woody) has set up to be a tank-season by removing every modicum of talent from the roster. No GM does such a thing without orders from ownership. If there were a few dollars to be saved, Forte would be gone too.  

Now the drafting.... that I blame squarely on Macagnan.  We fans are totally f-cked by every level of management... from owner to head coach.  It never seems to end. 

If you think this way, if you look at a good first game by Hack and dont see imaginary glimmers, then yes you are fu(ked.  Im not a fu(ked fan, I get that some feel they are because they cant understand how a 22 year old QB getting his first real game experience could somehow, amazingly, be inconsistent playing behind a sieve of an OL, without a running game or with a WR worth a damn. How he must suck and how fuc(ked fans are. lol

46 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Patrick Mahomes is the guy who will haunt us for years. He's light years ahead of Hackenberg.

Sure he will, the same way everyone said Lynch would.

And now its either Watson or Mahomes.  

While I read these threads it's comical to imagine if the Jets had drafted Carr this place would have exploded in expletives. "How the f*ck could you draft another Carr!", "You didn't watch his brother?", I mean seriously, there are already posts declaring Adams a bust after the 2nd preseason game, lol.

Jets will have the number 1 pick in the draft. Maybe they can steal Garapalo, trade the #1 for a Cowboys Walker like trade that will propel them for the next 15 years. Even if the Jets kept Marshall, Decker, Harris, Mangold, they still win what? 5 games same as last year. We're tanking properly using the 2017 season to get some young guys, Adams, Maye, Shell, Jenkins, Lee, Stewart, Legette, Hansen, McGuire up to speed. This is a red shirt year for all of them, absolutely zero pressure, just go play boys.

Jet fans are complaining when we're actually going to develop some young pups & put ourselves in a position to finally have at least the opportunity to draft a top college QB. As long as the Pats don't win another Super Bowl I'm 100% fine with it. We've missed out on some fine players based on meaningless week 17 wins (OBJ anyone?), thanks Rex! Just tank properly, that's all I ask.

57 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

that is completely untrue for 2nd round picks.  I guess we were all-in on Clemens too?  He was a round 2 QB.  2nd round QBs have a low% chance to become a starter in the top half of the league.

Which franchise QB were you pushing for at 6?  Who was a cant miss, franchise QB.  Which one? You keep blabbing but never give us the QB who was going to change things.
Pretty much all you can do is talk negative and make fun of the fact that everywhere the kid goes hes a leader.  To a true devoted fan thats an open door to make fun of the pick.

The only QB I wanted in this draft was Mahomes. Whether it was at 6 or 10 doesn't matter. He was the only one I would have drafted.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

4 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The only QB I wanted in this draft was Mahomes. Whether it was at 6 or 10 doesn't matter. He was the only one I would have drafted.

Especially since he went before our turn at 6.  He wasn't an option for us.  And Trubinski is in no way a can't miss franchise QB.  None of the QBs this year were, that's the point.  Next year none of these QBs, Trubinski, Watson or Mahomes is guaranteed to go in the first. 

Especially since he went before our turn at 6.  He wasn't an option for us.  And Trubinski is in no way a can't miss franchise QB.  None of the QBs this year were, that's the point.  Next year none of these QBs, Trubinski, Watson or Mahomes is guaranteed to go in the first. 

What are you talking about? Mahomes was drafted at 10. We passed on him at 6.

1 hour ago, Jetster said:

While I read these threads it's comical to imagine if the Jets had drafted Carr this place would have exploded in expletives. "How the f*ck could you draft another Carr!"

2017 was an excellent draft.  The Cleveland friggin Browns assembled a good core in just the first two rounds.  And we are screwing around with two mediocre safeties

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Let's see. Mahomes and Deshaun Watson for a start. Last time a safety took a team to the Super Bowl was never. Do I really have to spell it out? I didn't scout Mahomes or Deshaun but it seems like whoever scouted them, were pretty confident taking them in the upper half of the draft. Save me the "leader" bs. I don't want a leader with the 6th overall pick. I want a top notch player that can potentially turn this franchise around. Not a freaking safety. If Mahomes and Deshaun become pro bowl caliber players, I don't care if Adams becomes the next Ed Reed. He's not EVER going to put the team on his back and lead them to the SB. Never. If by any miracle we do ever make it to one and win one, it won't be because of a safety. Your roster is sh*t. You have no QB worth a crap. You dumped all your WRs. You failed at every corner you signed and spent a boatload of money, you haven't drafted a half decent 2nd rounder. You're tanking in year 3. And you draft a safety at #6??? AYFK me right now? A freaking safety to supposedly save this franchise?? What are we, a safety away from becoming a contender? A safety? And here you are sucking Macs balls calling out posters who think this FO and CS stinks. 

6 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Watson or Mahomes.

8 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Guaranteed if we'd have picked one of those QB's at 6 then all we'd be hearing is how Maccagnan could've gotten them later in the draft and should'very magically traded back so we could've gotten OJHoward AND Dalvin Cook as well as the QB

It's not Woody, Bowles, Maccagnan or the team that make being a Jet fan so hard....it's other Jets 'fans'

3 hours ago, j4jets said:

Let's see. Mahomes and Deshaun Watson for a start. Last time a safety took a team to the Super Bowl was never. Do I really have to spell it out? I didn't scout Mahomes or Deshaun but it seems like whoever scouted them, were pretty confident taking them in the upper half of the draft. Save me the "leader" bs. I don't want a leader with the 6th overall pick. I want a top notch player that can potentially turn this franchise around. Not a freaking safety. If Mahomes and Deshaun become pro bowl caliber players, I don't care if Adams becomes the next Ed Reed. He's not EVER going to put the team on his back and lead them to the SB. Never. If by any miracle we do ever make it to one and win one, it won't be because of a safety. Your roster is sh*t. You have no QB worth a crap. You dumped all your WRs. You failed at every corner you signed and spent a boatload of money, you haven't drafted a half decent 2nd rounder. You're tanking in year 3. And you draft a safety at #6??? AYFK me right now? A freaking safety to supposedly save this franchise?? What are we, a safety away from becoming a contender? A safety? And here you are sucking Macs balls calling out posters who think this FO and CS stinks. 

Plenty of QBs are picked early and fail.  The board cried for P Lynch a year ago because Elway scouted him.  He sucks.  So how many shltty first round QBs win SBs?  You make it sound like all you need to do is draft a guy in the first and you're in.  Like Bortles.  Like RGIII?  Which S? Ed Reed, shltty QB and Reed won.  Ronnie Lott won.  

Theyre rebuilding, if you haven't gotten this it's on you.

1 hour ago, redlichtie said:

Guaranteed if we'd have picked one of those QB's at 6 then all we'd be hearing is how Maccagnan could've gotten them later in the draft and should'very magically traded back so we could've gotten OJHoward AND Dalvin Cook as well as the QB

It's not Woody, Bowles, Maccagnan or the team that make being a Jet fan so hard....it's other Jets 'fans'

So true.  The whine level is so high

7 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No one was taking Mahomes at 6.  A month earlier he wasn't going in the first round.  Now fans have decided he worth it at 6.  

Lol, I decided that in October.  And if you want to know what I really would have done on draft day is tried to call the Panthers, and scare the sh*t out of them that someone called from 9-12 looking to move up to get McCafferry because everyone, and their mother knew they were taking him, wanted him, and probably would have gave you a 3rd to swap 6 to 8, then grab Mahomes, and have an extra 3rd to build around him.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

No it makes no sense.  He's not with 2 1sts and. 3rd either

As much as my Mahomes trolling is pissing people off, and saying it's to early to declare him a franchise QB, then it's fair to say it's to early to definitively declare what the Chiefs gave up for him to make no sense.  If he wins them 1 Super Bowl in the next 15 years it was worth it period.

44 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

As much as my Mahomes trolling is pissing people off, and saying it's to early to declare him a franchise QB, then it's fair to say it's to early to definitively declare what the Chiefs gave up for him to make no sense.  If he wins them 1 Super Bowl in the next 15 years it was worth it period.

Mahomes has looked better than all our QB's I think thats the issue right now. 

12 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Carr wasnt a first round pick, made no sense then.  He was a 2nd round pick, not a first. 

Mahomes was a late chart climber ala Lynch, another QB we passed on who the board went crazy over when we did.  Elway knew better we heard over and over.  More than Macc.  Lynch will never be what Elway thought apparently, who knows.

Good to know this season will be like last season when all we heard was how dumb Macc was for passing on Lynch.  WTF does Macc know compared to Elway.  Fans here automatically root for the player who went somewhere else.  

A moot point with Carr, we could have used our 1st on him. Having the previous GM's QB crush on Geno prevented that. 

Andy Reid puts decent Offences on the field. Mahomes is Smiths replacment. Our current GM's QB crush is on the team. I think we all know what's happening this year, but it does not make it better having to sit through it.

I think Macc is ok, he's brought in a lot of players through draft and UDFA. The poor yield from Idzik put us in the hole. He's made two mistakes, Hack and Devin Smith. I'd like to have seen some more Oline help. I was not keen on the two Safeties in 1and 2. We need to stop neglecting the O.

44 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

A moot point with Carr, we could have used our 1st on him. Having the previous GM's QB crush on Geno prevented that. 

Andy Reid puts decent Offences on the field. Mahomes is Smiths replacment. Our current GM's QB crush is on the team. I think we all know what's happening this year, but it does not make it better having to sit through it.

I think Macc is ok, he's brought in a lot of players through draft and UDFA. The poor yield from Idzik put us in the hole. He's made two mistakes, Hack and Devin Smith. I'd like to have seen some more Oline help. I was not keen on the two Safeties in 1and 2. We need to stop neglecting the O.

Based on what I'm seeing when I watch the Jets, I think 2018 will be all about the offense. I'd love to finally see an offensive draft all the way through & a couple of offensive young stud vets with that 80/85 million in free agency dollars we have to spend.

One thing you can't blame GMs for is players that get injured unless they had a long history of injuries like Milliner. Devin Smith was just bad luck. Macc had to draft WRs because Idzik completely whiffed when he easily could have taken Jarvis Landry who I wanted him to. So then our only WR worth a sh*t gets hurt in Q, and this is what you end up with.

Silver lining is Stewart & Hansen should be able to get some reps in 2017. Jets need a 2018 draft to return them to their 80s offenses. Anderson looks to be a Wesley Walker, Let's hope Stewart or Hansen can become Al Toonish, Q comes back ?, draft our Freeman McNeil, Bunch of Ilineman & steal a stud Olineman in free agency.

i think our defense is going to be very good.

4 hours ago, redlichtie said:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh... Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh...

I hate that other fans are unhappy that the Jets are looking like the least talented team in the NFL with little promising young talent, and essentially none at any position that matters...

Here's a thought...

Capture.JPG

16 hours ago, David Harris said:

I mean we can't be sold on Mahomes yet. And if this tank works and we get an Andrew Luck prospect than it's all worth it.

But yeah a starting QB and an offensive weapon in Cook look much more needed than a safety pair.

Maye looks good at least and Adams I think is destined to be elite so if we end up with our QB next draft it'd be a nice core.

Mahomes also has Andy Reid as a coach. He knows a little bit about the QB position.

Hack and Petty have Bowles.

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh... Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh...

I hate that other fans are unhappy that the Jets are looking like the least talented team in the NFL with little promising young talent, and essentially none at any position that matters...

Here's a thought...

Capture.JPG

The Jets have a TON of young promising talent the problem is none of them play offense, specifically QB.  If you go 4-12 with Carr throwing to Cooper like the 2015 Raiders did at least your watching something exciting while enduring a losing season, how excited are you gonna get when Leo blows up a run play for -2 yards in the 3rd quarter down 24-3?  Or how excited will you get when Adams diagnosis a WR screen pass, and blows it up for -5 yards in the same scenario?  The answer your not gonna get excited.  BUT if you have a young QB gunning the ball all over the place to a hot shot WR, and you see the light coming on alla the 2015 Raiders, that would get me excited even thou the record isn't good, offense puts fans in the seats, makes fans excited, something Mahomes, or even McCafferey for that matter would have done, and something Cook, or Mixon would have done instead of Maye.

The offense is completely stripped of ANY star talent, nothing!  I can't remember a Jets team that didn't have at least 1 guy you could say well he is pretty good, and even then mid 2006-2007 (last time I can remember having this little at the skill position)we had a top O-line in the making, and even the average fan could see it, or was being told it by others.  There is nothing, and I mean zero, next year it's start from expansion level scrap, the only silver lining is the possibility of getting a Sam Darnold, and 80 million to spend, but there is no guarantee either will happen to work out.

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Lol, I decided that in October.  And if you want to know what I really would have done on draft day is tried to call the Panthers, and scare the sh*t out of them that someone called from 9-12 looking to move up to get McCafferry because everyone, and their mother knew they were taking him, wanted him, and probably would have gave you a 3rd to swap 6 to 8, then grab Mahomes, and have an extra 3rd to build around him.

Good for you.  You're a genius 

Got to love the idea that you actually think you're right, that he's a franchise QB, guaranteed.

15 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Patrick Mahomes is the guy who will haunt us for years. He's light years ahead of Hackenberg.

And light years behind Darnold.

You can't compare him to Hackenberg, they didn't not draft Watson/Mahomes because of Hackenberg.

They didn't draft him because next year is the best QB prospect draft in 15 years

1 minute ago, Obrien2Toon said:

And light years behind Darnold.

You can't compare him to Hackenberg, they didn't not draft Watson/Mahomes because of Hackenberg.

They didn't draft him because next year is the best QB prospect draft in 15 years

The only people who think that Sam Darnold is the best QB prospect in 15 years are you and Sam's mother.

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Cute, except I didn't say anything about where the Chiefs took him, just that he climbed late and that there is no proof that he is or will be a franchise QB. 

Youre in love, in a Sanchez like way some had years ago.

Archived