The two safeties vs Watson/Mahomes and Cook

Pointdexter

3 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

And light years behind Darnold.

You can't compare him to Hackenberg, they didn't not draft Watson/Mahomes because of Hackenberg.

They didn't draft him because next year is the best QB prospect draft in 15 years

I believe this to be true

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

A moot point with Carr, we could have used our 1st on him. Having the previous GM's QB crush on Geno prevented that. 

Andy Reid puts decent Offences on the field. Mahomes is Smiths replacment. Our current GM's QB crush is on the team. I think we all know what's happening this year, but it does not make it better having to sit through it.

I think Macc is ok, he's brought in a lot of players through draft and UDFA. The poor yield from Idzik put us in the hole. He's made two mistakes, Hack and Devin Smith. I'd like to have seen some more Oline help. I was not keen on the two Safeties in 1and 2. We need to stop neglecting the O.

No one was taking Carr in the first.  It's moot if you ignore the draft and use what he is today as your guide.  

Mahomes doesn't get picked in the first or lower if he came out next season.  

How good someone ultimately becomes is irrelevant.  Like saying Marino should have gone 1st, Brady should have gone 1st not in the 6th round.

I've been loud since April that we missed a golden opportunity by passing on something special with a Deshaun Watson - Dalvin Cook duo in place for the 2 safeties.  If we could re-do things, how many ppl would take a Watson/Mahomes and Cook combo over our two safeties?

2nd question: should Macc be shown the door for passing on the above duo for two safeties and a piss poor "qb of the future" prospect that most avg fans posting here knew would never amount to crap as an NFL passer?

I've been saying it since april ... deshaun watson is nothing to write home about ... maholmes is a poor man's favre ... yikes.

the two safeties we picked up will be really good solid players for the next 10 years.

i'll take my chances on darnold , allen , or rosen thank you.

When you go to the car dealership and you know a new model with an engine twice as good will be available next year ... do you buy this years model ??? i don't.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

2 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Sam Darnold isn't anywhere near the prospect that Andrew Luck was.

I actually misread his post.  I was speaking to the draft class of QBs being the best since 83.  Praying that we dont pick the Blackledge out of the group...

17 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

The only people who think that Sam Darnold is the best QB prospect in 15 years are you and Sam's mother.

Didn't say he's the best in 15 years, everyone says he's the best since Luck.

Everybody also says the CLASS as a whole is the best in 15 years

2 minutes ago, Obrien2Toon said:

Didn't say he's the best in 15 years, everyone says he's the best since Luck.

Everybody also says the CLASS as a whole is the best in 15 years

This is the best QB class since 1999 (Akili Smith, Tim Couch, Cade McNown).

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

The Jets have a TON of young promising talent the problem is none of them play offense, specifically QB.  If you go 4-12 with Carr throwing to Cooper like the 2015 Raiders did at least your watching something exciting while enduring a losing season, how excited are you gonna get when Leo blows up a run play for -2 yards in the 3rd quarter down 24-3?  Or how excited will you get when Adams diagnosis a WR screen pass, and blows it up for -5 yards in the same scenario?  The answer your not gonna get excited.  BUT if you have a young QB gunning the ball all over the place to a hot shot WR, and you see the light coming on alla the 2015 Raiders, that would get me excited even thou the record isn't good, offense puts fans in the seats, makes fans excited, something Mahomes, or even McCafferey for that matter would have done, and something Cook, or Mixon would have done instead of Maye.

The offense is completely stripped of ANY star talent, nothing!  I can't remember a Jets team that didn't have at least 1 guy you could say well he is pretty good, and even then mid 2006-2007 (last time I can remember having this little at the skill position)we had a top O-line in the making, and even the average fan could see it, or was being told it by others.  There is nothing, and I mean zero, next year it's start from expansion level scrap, the only silver lining is the possibility of getting a Sam Darnold, and 80 million to spend, but there is no guarantee either will happen to work out.

The defense has, at most, 4 promising young players, and that's being absurdly optimistic/generous, with Leo being the only one we can be confident about.  It has two talented veterans, one of which will likely be gone after next year.  Still, none of these players are pass-rushers, and none are CBs.

The offense, we agree, is dreadful.

46 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

No one was taking Carr in the first.  It's moot if you ignore the draft and use what he is today as your guide.  

Mahomes doesn't get picked in the first or lower if he came out next season.  

How good someone ultimately becomes is irrelevant.  Like saying Marino should have gone 1st, Brady should have gone 1st not in the 6th round.

At the time he was a very good prospect, his surname put people off. I actually wanted us to take Bridgewater.  It was a true home run Draft for the Raiders. All Pro Edge rusher, and Franchise QB in round 2.

16 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

I still don't understand why our two most recent GMs decided to risk their careers by going all-in on two highly-flawed QBs. If you're going to stake your name on a QB, go big or go home. 

Some times these guys out smart themselves, trying to look smarter than every one else... 

4 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

At the time he was a very good prospect, his surname put people off. I actually wanted us to take Bridgewater.  It was a true home run Draft for the Raiders. All Pro Edge rusher, and Franchise QB in round 2.

Admittedly I didn't want Carr. However, I was standing on the table for Bridgewater. The only reason for not drafting Bridgewater is that our GM had committed resources to Geno...

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Good for you.  You're a genius 

Got to love the idea that you actually think you're right, that he's a franchise QB, guaranteed.

I've been right about him every step of the way, and it's gonna suck balls when he proves to be a franchise QB for another team.

Mahones will be the one that got away fo sho. 

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb move passing on him for a safety. 

If watson turns out to be a stud, were double losers but mahomes was such a rare special talent its going to hurt really bad. 

You guys poh poohing all this.... Youll see

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Carr went in the second round because that we're he belonged.  Not because his brother got pummeled in Houston

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

I've been right about him every step of the way, and it's gonna suck balls when he proves to be a franchise QB for another team.

You said he's a franchise QB.

You are not right about that.  When and if he ever becomes one you can brag.  Making it up as you go along doesnt make you right at this point. 

Whats going to suck balls is you hijacking every fu(king thread with posts just like this one.  Telling people how right you are without a shred of proof. 

2 hours ago, HighPitch said:

Mahones will be the one that got away fo sho. 

Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb move passing on him for a safety. 

If watson turns out to be a stud, were double losers but mahomes was such a rare special talent its going to hurt really bad. 

You guys poh poohing all this.... Youll see

UH-OH halt the Mahomes to Canton bus tour.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Alex Smith is the unquestioned starter.

"It's Alex's job," Reid said. "There's no gray area with that." No. 10 overall pick Patrick Mahomes has created the buzz this offseason, but Smith has been quietly excellent, completing 12-of-15 passes for 131 yards and a touchdown. Unless he falls completely on his face, Smith will be the starter all season and remains an undervalued asset in deeper fantasy leagues.

6 hours ago, gEYno said:

Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh... Waaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh...

I hate that other fans are unhappy that the Jets are looking like the least talented team in the NFL with little promising young talent, and essentially none at any position that matters...

Here's a thought...

Capture.JPG

You're gonna sign out?...works for me 

4 hours ago, Jack Straw said:

Sam Darnold isn't anywhere near the prospect that Andrew Luck was.

Actually watched some of his games earlier and not all that impressed tbh....I don'tsee him as any better than the 3rd best QB at this point, both Rosen and Allen are more impressive

6 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Actually watched some of his games earlier and not all that impressed tbh....I don'tsee him as any better than the 3rd best QB at this point, both Rosen and Allen are more impressive

I'm in agreement. That wind-up of his reminds me of Blake Bortles. I'm not interested in drafting a QB who needs to be retaught how to throw a football in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I'm in agreement. That wind-up of his reminds me of Blake Bortles. I'm not interested in drafting a QB who needs to be retaught how to throw a football in the NFL.

The problem with the NFL is that they think EVERYONE needs to be retaught certain things at QB to their liking, and they ruin a handful of guys for it, imagine if Rivers let someone reteach him how to throw a football like everyone said he should at the next level?  Some people just have "IT" no matter the mechanics, and such, and I'm of the believers that Darnold is the QB next year that has "IT", shame because the Jets passed on the guy that has "IT" in the 2017 draft, and will need a lot of luck to land Darnold.

19 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Agreed, not just that but he's very skittish back there, happy feet all over the place and if he's 6-4 I'll be shocked, only watched a handful of games but he rarely steps up into the pocket, almost every snap is out of the shotgun....he makes some plays no doubt but I think it'll be Rosen(stands tall, good feet, steps up into the pocket and into throws and rips it) and Allen who battle it out for No1 overall. Maybe I'm wrong and the coming season might change things but I don't get the hype and as you say the throwing motion will put off a lot of scouts.

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

The problem with the NFL is that they think EVERYONE needs to be retaught certain things at QB to their liking, and they ruin a handful of guys for it, imagine if Rivers let someone reteach him how to throw a football like everyone said he should at the next level?  Some people just have "IT" no matter the mechanics, and such, and I'm of the believers that Darnold is the QB next year that has "IT", shame because the Jets passed on the guy that has "IT" in the 2017 draft, and will need a lot of luck to land Darnold.

I don't disagree with you, but Philip Rivers is the exception to the rule. For every Philip Rivers there's 10 Byron Leftwich's, Tim Tebow's, David Carr's, etc. If we're going to invest a top 3 pick into a QB, I'd prefer to not have to tear a guy down and rebuild him.

With someone like Hackenberg, it's fine. We knew what we were getting; a second round pick who needed to be rebuilt. This is fine and dandy, except the Jets DIDN'T tear him and down and rebuild him in his redshirt rookie year. They waited until the off-season to do this, because, per the coaching staff, this wasn't possible to do in-season, despite the fact that there were three quarterbacks ahead of Hackenberg all year long. Why even redshirt the kid if you're not going to spend the time fixing what was wrong with him?

This whole organization is a disaster.

5 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

I don't disagree with you, but Philip Rivers is the exception to the rule. For every Philip Rivers there's 10 Byron Leftwich's, Tim Tebow's, David Carr's, etc. If we're going to invest a top 3 pick into a QB, I'd prefer to not have to tear a guy down and rebuild him.

With someone like Hackenberg, it's fine. We knew what we were getting; a second round pick who needed to be rebuilt. This is fine and dandy, except the Jets DIDN'T tear him and down and rebuild him in his redshirt rookie year. They waited until the off-season to do this, because, per the coaching staff, this wasn't possible to do in-season, despite the fact that there were three quarterbacks ahead of Hackenberg all year long. Why even redshirt the kid if you're not going to spend the time fixing what was wrong with him?

This whole organization is a disaster.

Darnold is in the Rivers category, he is the 1 in 10.

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

UH-OH halt the Mahomes to Canton bus tour.

Chiefs coach Andy Reid said Alex Smith is the unquestioned starter.

"It's Alex's job," Reid said. "There's no gray area with that." No. 10 overall pick Patrick Mahomes has created the buzz this offseason, but Smith has been quietly excellent, completing 12-of-15 passes for 131 yards and a touchdown. Unless he falls completely on his face, Smith will be the starter all season and remains an undervalued asset in deeper fantasy leagues.

That settles it then; Mahomes sucks and can't hold Hack's jock strap.

37 minutes ago, redlichtie said:

Agreed, not just that but he's very skittish back there, happy feet all over the place and if he's 6-4 I'll be shocked, only watched a handful of games but he rarely steps up into the pocket, almost every snap is out of the shotgun....he makes some plays no doubt but I think it'll be Rosen(stands tall, good feet, steps up into the pocket and into throws and rips it) and Allen who battle it out for No1 overall. Maybe I'm wrong and the coming season might change things but I don't get the hype and as you say the throwing motion will put off a lot of scouts.

I too am not all in on Darnold.  A big part of the hype with him is the school that he goes to.  A previous poster said Darnold is way ahead of Mahomes.  I wonder if said poster would be saying the same thing if Darnold played for Texas Tech and Mahomes for USC.

I agree with the happy feet and the questionable 6-4 listing.  That long wind up is also a major issue; supposedly, he's has shorten it a bit during the off-season.  I'm curious to see how performs this year having tinkered his throwing motion.  I want to see if he reverts back when under pressure.  All that said I think I would still take him over Rosen and Allen at this point.  Rosen is too stiff for my liking; I also see him as one of those guys who needs the best conditions to have success.  I like the fact that Darnold seems to thrive when things around him are falling apart.  Allen is the most talented and the most reckless of the 3.

I thought Maccagnan was a great hire. But I was wrong, he sucks. He's doing the same sh*t our last two GM's did - using all of our premium draft picks on defense. We could've drafted two offensive players this past draft and had them developing until we could've drafted a QB next year. 

Keep telling yourselves that safeties will win us games. 

Archived