Jump to content
Pointdexter

The two safeties vs Watson/Mahomes and Cook

Recommended Posts

I've been loud since April that we missed a golden opportunity by passing on something special with a Deshaun Watson - Dalvin Cook duo in place for the 2 safeties. 

If we could re-do things, how many ppl would take a Watson/Mahomes and Cook combo over our two safeties?

2nd question: should Macc be shown the door for passing on the above duo for two safeties and a piss poor "qb of the future" prospect that most avg fans posting here knew would never amount to crap as an NFL passer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
6 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

You guys think Watson, Brady, Rodgers, Marino, Montana or any QB would survive behind that OL that we watched last night?

Maybe not, but Mahomes would 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean we can't be sold on Mahomes yet. And if this tank works and we get an Andrew Luck prospect than it's all worth it.

But yeah a starting QB and an offensive weapon in Cook look much more needed than a safety pair.

Maye looks good at least and Adams I think is destined to be elite so if we end up with our QB next draft it'd be a nice core.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

watching the Falcons

it doesnt matter who is the QB( right now its Matt Simms) they are rolling like a machine.

OL 1st and 2nd team blocks , WR's with names no one of us know open and  catch everything.

how ****ed up are we  ,we cant even have a drive without the QB running for his life 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I love Marcus Maye so I wouldn't want him gone. I think the original plan was to pair Maye with Pryor before Adams fell to us.

With that said, any rookie QB or RB would look awful behind our O-line. Next draft we have to get a RT and C in the first 3 rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only QB I wanted at pick 6 was taken with the 2nd overall pick .  After that, the Jets took the best player that was available who also happened to fill a position of need on the roster . The 2nd round pick took me by surprise, but it looks like the Jets may have a solid player on their hands from a round that has yielded nothing but issues in past years .  Rebuilding the receiving core seems like a smart move particularly if you knew you were going to be parting ways with Decker .

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The only QB I wanted at pick 6 was taken with the 2nd overall pick .  After that, the Jets took the best player that was available who also happened to fill a position of need on the roster . The 2nd round pick took me by surprise, but it looks like the Jets may have a solid player on their hands from a round that has yielded nothing but issues in past years .  Rebuilding the receiving core seems like a smart move particularly if you knew you were going to be parting ways with Decker .

 

I agree. I wanted Cooke in the 2nd and was shocked at the Maye pick - but it looks like its a pretty good pick right now. A good safety is far more valuable than a good RB, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I don't really see the issue with this draft since Adams was a higher ranked prospect than anyone else at 6 and these QBs are all really flawed. Now it's possible that they all end up good but that's unlikely. On the other hand drafting Hack and trying to force feed him into a role he's not good enough for is another issue all together. But you know at least he's not Paxton Lynch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RSJ said:

I agree. I wanted Cooke in the 2nd and was shocked at the Maye pick - but it looks like its a pretty good pick right now. A good safety is far more valuable than a good RB, imo.

I knew the Jets weren't going to draft Dalvin Cook with all his off the field baggage . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Blaq218 said:

I love Marcus Maye so I wouldn't want him gone. I think the original plan was to pair Maye with Pryor before Adams fell to us.

With that said, any rookie QB or RB would look awful behind our O-line. Next draft we have to get a RT and C in the first 3 rounds.

 

Pryor was never going to make this team, regardless of who, or what position, they drafted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm fine with it . U had too see what u had in hackenberg and if you weren't comfortable with burning a 1st on a QB so be it .. 

if Adams and Maye turn out to be Awsome and where able to get our Franchise QB this year .. no one will care how it was done . And who we passed on . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watson and Cook was a wet dream for me.  But who knows, time will tell and preseason certainly isnt the time to make any definitive statements.  That said, I think I'd have rather have swung and missed on that duo then end up with two sold safeties...but that's just me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

The only QB I wanted at pick 6 was taken with the 2nd overall pick .  After that, the Jets took the best player that was available who also happened to fill a position of need on the roster . The 2nd round pick took me by surprise, but it looks like the Jets may have a solid player on their hands from a round that has yielded nothing but issues in past years .  Rebuilding the receiving core seems like a smart move particularly if you knew you were going to be parting ways with Decker .

 

A safety being called the BPA is not understanding positional value. You can get a safety off the street who isn't much of a dropoff from Adams. You cannot do that with a primo WR, LT, QB pass rusher or center. Worse as we have seen here you end up paying a lot of $ to a nonpremium cap slot if you want to keep him. And spare Len Williams none of those guys taken at #1 have been nor will be resigned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

In New York Jets land, it's always Safeties over QB

Pryor > Carr.

Adams > Mahomes

Can't wait for Cornerback > Darnold in 2018!

 

Carr wasnt a first round pick, made no sense then.  He was a 2nd round pick, not a first. 

 Mahomes was a late chart climber ala Lynch, another QB we passed on who the board went crazy over when we did.  Elway knew better we heard over and over.  More than Macc.  Lynch will never be what Elway thought apparently, who knows.

Good to know this season will be like last season when all we heard was how dumb Macc was for passing on Lynch.  WTF does Macc know compared to Elway.  Fans here automatically root for the player who went somewhere else.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Bugg said:

A safety being called the BPA is not understanding positional value. You can get a safety off the street who isn't much of a dropoff from Adams. You cannot do that with a primo WR, LT, QB pass rusher or center. Worse as we have seen here you end up paying a lot of $ to a nonpremium cap slot if you want to keep him. And spare Len Williams none of those guys taken at #1 have been nor will be resigned. 

Back to positional value nonsense.  Sure Adams might be better than QB X but QB is more valuable so pick a shltty QB over a pro bowl S because QB is a higher value than S.  

That you actually wrote that you can sign a S off the street and there isn't much of a drop off from Adams says a lot. 

Unless we're talking Reed vs Revis, corner being a much higher value player then all the board jumped on the Reed was better rant. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Bugg said:

A safety being called the BPA is not understanding positional value. You can get a safety off the street who isn't much of a dropoff from Adams. You cannot do that with a primo WR, LT, QB pass rusher or center. Worse as we have seen here you end up paying a lot of $ to a nonpremium cap slot if you want to keep him. And spare Len Williams none of those guys taken at #1 have been nor will be resigned. 

Your out of your mind . 2-3 safeties a year going in the first round . Tell you u can't just sign a guy off the street to fill the position . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

In New York Jets land, it's always Safeties over QB

Pryor > Carr.

Adams > Mahomes

Can't wait for Cornerback > Darnold in 2018!

 

If Darnold looks like the real deal and the Jets are in position to draft him and they go defense yet again that might be enough for me to be done with the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

I've been loud since April that we missed a golden opportunity by passing on something special with a Deshaun Watson - Dalvin Cook duo in place for the 2 safeties. 

If we could re-do things, how many ppl would take a Watson/Mahomes and Cook combo over our two safeties?

2nd question: should Macc be shown the door for passing on the above duo for two safeties and a piss poor "qb of the future" prospect that most avg fans posting here knew would never amount to crap as an NFL passer?

You need leadership traits with your 6th overall pick. Who cares about franchise QBs? Now just watch Adams transform this young group into the 85 Bears squad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it would make no difference which QB, if any become elite from this last draft, that would be the one we should have taken instead of Adams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

Patrick Mahomes is the guy who will haunt us for years. He's light years ahead of Hackenberg.

Name one rookie QB that was drafted in the 1st 2 rounds that isn't ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×