QB Rotation for the Giants Game

JetsFanatic

30 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Giants game is going to lack buzz. They would be stupid to play Marshall and Odell after getting hurt last week.

People thought the Jets Lions game was a debacle. Giants lost to the Browns. And looked bad doing it. That's worse

Nobody game plans for an opponent in those preseason games .  The Jets haven't even started the men together that will possibly make up the opening day offensive line .  People are losing their minds because a young team with tons of inexperience players is experimenting in an effort to determine which players give them the best chance during games that count for nothing .

With the Jets it's always something 

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/21/2017 at 5:32 PM, Charlie Brown said:

Does anyone in their right mind think that Petty has been given a fair chance to start this summer? 

I'd have to say no way. Not sure if Morton is seeing something we're not but when he's out there I see premonitions of a gunslinging Brett Farve that needs to get more experience and opportunity.

On 8/21/2017 at 2:04 PM, Barkus said:

I would presume mccown will get at least the entire first quarter. It will be interesting to see if hack or petty will be the #2 guy in. I would hope we can at least see a semblance of functional football, an offensive TD would be nice too. If the regular season turns into a long string of 3 and outs it won't be worth watching at all. 

I think they will go:

McCown 1st Quarter

Hack 2nd Quarter

Hack opens 3rd quarter

Petty rest of the game.

On 8/21/2017 at 7:20 AM, SAR I said:

If you think about it, if you line up all the teams without a franchise quarterback we've actually had it pretty good for the past 20 years:

Testaverde brings restored pride...leads to...
The hope of Pennington and some success...leads to...
The flash of Favre...leads to...
The hope of Sanchez...leads to...playoff success and...
The hope of Geno...leads to...
The surprise of Fitzpatrick.

Before this season, every August for the past 20 years as a Jets fans you've either had a proven guy you believed in or a newb who had some promise.  This is the first year in half our lives as fans or, in some cases like my kids, ever that there has been no hope at the QB position going into a new season.

SAR I

Angel Dust ?

I think

1. almost all of us want someone other than McCown to start this season
2. almost all of think that McCown *will* start this season

I'm surprised that there hasn't been many minds changed by all of these recent events though.  McCown not playing at all week 2, McCown getting almost no practice time yesterday, McCown not being allowed to talk to the media, etc...

Maybe McCown starting isn't as much of a done deal as we all think...

On 8/21/2017 at 8:00 AM, BurnleyJet said:

I hate this game, the Giants have a record of injuring our QB's. Especially with the OLine we have. Crossed fingers all come out unscathed. 

Actually we have the history of think out their QBs and players. 

Simms twice season enders, Osi season ended, Sehorn career ender.  

On 8/20/2017 at 10:16 PM, Il Mostro said:

McCown for all four quarters.  It's the Snoopy Bowl.  We need that trophy!!!

This is our Superbowl!  And the Superbowl is to every other team in the league what the Snoopy Bowl is to us.

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Really?  This must've been very early in his career then.

Broke his hand on a helmet and a knee another year.  He was called soft and then turned it around becoming Mr Durable.  It was early in his career, you are right

20 hours ago, thshadow said:

I think

1. almost all of us want someone other than McCown to start this season
2. almost all of think that McCown *will* start this season

I'm surprised that there hasn't been many minds changed by all of these recent events though.  McCown not playing at all week 2, McCown getting almost no practice time yesterday, McCown not being allowed to talk to the media, etc...

Maybe McCown starting isn't as much of a done deal as we all think...

It's a possibility, sure.

I don't know how anybody could be planning to start Hackenberg for the season after last week.  

21 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Actually we have the history of think out their QBs and players. 

Simms twice season enders, Osi season ended, Sehorn career ender.  

I tend to remember Marvin Jones body slamming Kent Graham. 

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

I don't know how anybody could be planning to start Hackenberg for the season after last week.  

I tend to remember Marvin Jones body slamming Kent Graham. 

Thanks, forgot that one.  

3 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

Broke his hand on a helmet and a knee another year.  He was called soft and then turned it around becoming Mr Durable.  It was early in his career, you are right

broke his hand on a helmet vs. Philly 1983.

http://www.nytimes.com/1983/10/10/sports/giants-lose-17-13-as-simms-is-hurt-jets-fall-10-7-jaworski-leads-eagles.html?mcubz=0

did tear his knee vs. us in preseason 1982:

http://www.nytimes.com/1982/08/29/sports/giants-beat-jets-simms-hurt.html?mcubz=0

29 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

He broke his hand against the Jets in the preseason, before 1983, think it was on Kleckod helmet, I was there

10 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

He broke his hand against the Jets in the preseason, before 1983, think it was on Kleckod helmet, I was there

it sounds like you are getting injuries confused. he hurt his knee after a klecko hit.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/09/sports/please-name-the-quarterback.html?mcubz=0

In his five years as a snakebitten quarterback, Phil Simms has never had a full season. He missed the entire 1982 season following surgery on his right knee after being sandwiched by Joe Klecko and Abdul Salaam of the Jets in the opening exhibition game. In 1981 he suffered a shoulder separation when sacked by Dave Butz of the Washington Redskins with five games remaining. In 1980 he suffered a shoulder separation when smashed by Rush Brown of the St. Louis Cardinals with three games remaining. As a rookie in 1979, he didn't replace Joe Pisarcik at quarterback until the sixth game.

1 minute ago, nyjunc said:

it sounds like you are getting injuries confused. he hurt his knee after a klecko hit.

http://www.nytimes.com/1984/07/09/sports/please-name-the-quarterback.html?mcubz=0

Long time ago, possible.  Swore he also broke a finger or hand.  Could have been non throwing and didn't miss a game.  One knee, Osi season, etc, we've taken out quite a few players.

On 8/23/2017 at 7:24 AM, Tinstar said:

Nobody game plans for an opponent in those preseason games .  The Jets haven't even started the men together that will possibly make up the opening day offensive line .  People are losing their minds because a young team with tons of inexperience players is experimenting in an effort to determine which players give them the best chance during games that count for nothing .

With the Jets it's always something 

Everybody says that, but watching the games I do not think that is 100% true especially on the defensive side. You cant tell me Detroit did not game plan for Hackenberg

On 8/20/2017 at 10:16 PM, Il Mostro said:

McCown for all four quarters.  It's the Snoopy Bowl.  We need that trophy!!!

That was Rex, this is now. I would like to see Petty play against the starters for one quarter and then McCown and Hack for the second half. Lost a lot of faith in Hackenberg and really don't believe the Jets have a starting caliber QB on the roster.

37 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

That was Rex, this is now. I would like to see Petty play against the starters for one quarter and then McCown and Hack for the second half. Lost a lot of faith in Hackenberg and really don't believe the Jets have a starting caliber QB on the roster.

You are the only person on this forum that took my post at face value and took it seriously.   I think it is going to be an especially long season for you. 

11 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

I actually remember the broken hand on helmet play.  I was convinced it was in the season opener but it was in the 6th game of the 1983 season and not vs the Jets (though it was against a team in green - the Eagles).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Simms

One of Parcells first decisions as coach was to replace Simms as the starting quarterback with Brunner.[15] Simms asked to be traded after the benching, but his request was ignored.[16]During the sixth game of the Giants' 1983 Season, Simms came in to replace the struggling Brunner against the Philadelphia Eagles. On his second drive, Simms suffered a season-ending injury when the thumb on his throwing hand hit a player's helmet on his follow-through. The injury was reported as a dislocation, but according to the book, Simms to McConkey, written by Phil McConkey, Simms, and Dick Schaap, the injury was much more severe, with the thumb literally hanging off after impact, and the bone sticking out through the skin.[17]

5 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

It is amazing you guys actually still think that highly of Petty.  What have you seen that makes you think is anything but a backup?

6 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

The coaches saw Petty plenty last year. They have their minds made up, he will start this season if the other two QBs fail. That will be his only shot.

Archived