Mauldin on roster BUBBLE -- Then so should GM Macc

Paradis

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I wanted Lynch too, but that was when I thought Gailey might be hanging around to work with him.

I didn't hate Lynch, I was just reacting to guys like Paradis that acted as if Lynch was a lock to be really good and bashing Macc for passing on him. I prefer to give GMs a couple of years before grading their drafts. Good or bad. Idzik had a couple of years and just about all his picks were awful and he was deservedly fired. Macc isn't in the same boat. Macc has hit on a bunch of guys and a few are still questionable (Lee etc). If all his draft picks under perform this year, then go ahead and fire him. But do have this discussion today just shows that some posters don't get it. 

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I didn't hate Lynch, I was just reacting to guys like Paradis that acted as if Lynch was a lock to be really good and bashing Macc for passing on him. I prefer to give GMs a couple of years before grading their drafts. Good or bad. Idzik had a couple of years and just about all his picks were awful and he was deservedly fired. Macc isn't in the same boat. Macc has hit on a bunch of guys and a few are still questionable (Lee etc). If all his draft picks under perform this year, then go ahead and fire him. But do have this discussion today just shows that some posters don't get it. 

Bingo

4 hours ago, Paradis said:

Are you joking? A handicapped child could have picked Williams. That is not going to save his ass. The rest of the guys you listed haven't done anything. Nothing. They're just names on paper right now. Our offence is historically deprived of talent

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

your cracks about handicapped children dont make your points any better

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

In the Blue Oyster Bar maybe.

1 hour ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Lynch is no where near to being ready on a pretty loaded Denver team, I can't even imagine what life would be like over here on the Jets. Would Mac then get a pass if he turns out to be no good, since that's who most of the fans wanted the pick to be? 

7 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

If Lynch is no where near to being ready on a pretty loaded Denver team, I can't even imagine what life would be like over here on the Jets. Would Mac then get a pass if he turns out to be no good, since that's who most of the fans wanted the pick to be? 

I don't think you get free passes or fired based on one decision. Passing on Lynch looks good, passing on mahomes looks bad. I'm still not sold on Watson. I'm willing to let the year play out and judge him then. Anderson, Peake, leggett, mayes, Adams, Lee can all make or break his tenure. 

5 hours ago, dbatesman said:

My favorite defenses of Maccagnan are the ones where people just list a bunch of players he's drafted and append "looks solid" or "shows promise" after each one. This isn't complicated. We're entering year three. We have the worst roster in the league. The guy's a boob.

allot of that has top do with the moron before him. I agree this roster lacks talent but to say this is  on Mac is a mistake. he has done a decent not great decent job. He goes by BPA not taking huge risks. The only risky pick is Hack and the jury is still out on him. Also remember they did not add via free agency either allot this yr

2 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Lynch has not been good.

Geno is a flat out failure.

Both are much better than 'Hack'

Hell Geno would be the best QB on our roster right now and I am as anti Geno as you can get.

I am sorry but the deal here is looking for a franchise qb is anyone above a franchise qb? The jury is out on Hack and Lynch but I can say geno is not a franchise qb. I want a great qb not average but great. That is what this yr is about if Hack is not it then fine  we are in position to get a great qb. But the draft is not a sure fire thing. You also need to get him some help receivers and olinemen that can pass protect

6 hours ago, Beerfish said:

NFL premium positions in an ever more offensive centric league:

QB

Left Tackle

Offensive weapons (RB or WR)

Outside pass rusher

Shut down corner

Premium positions the Jets have filled the last 3 years:

???????

Profit!

I could not agree more, these SOJFS who refuse to criticize anything this flailing organization does is laughable. Their drafting has been pathetic. Their FA signings have not worked at all. I am not even convinced that Williams is really that great. I admit he does stand out amongst the sh*t that we have on this team granted, but Vince Wilfork he is not. Darren Lee, Jordan Jenkins, Burress, Peake, these are JAGS nothing more. Drafting 2 safeties this past season with good speed offensive players and QB's still available was just plain dumb. And who is to say that if or when we go 0-16, the QB of the future will come out of school? With our luck D'Arnold and Rosen will both go back for their Senior years and we are totally screwed. I just do not like the direction we are going at all. It reminds me of a ghost ship that just sails and sails and never gets to a destination.

PS The Eclipse today was cool as hell.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

If Elway called Maccagnan and offered to trade him Siemian for Hackenberg and a fifth round pick, Maccagnan would sever a vocal chord accepting that deal right now 

He wouldnt net Boykin from Seattle, who as an undrafted FA has been light years better than Hack. It looks like they're playing different sports.

Boss Idzik. 

Yea, maybe instead of being an argumentative douche, you could point to anything else? Or is it easier to just pretend I've only ever clamoured for that one player.

Btw I haven't brought up Lynch's name once since last fall other than when others have made him a point of conversation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Mac is a strange case, he has shown some nice scouting ability getting some udf and later round picks.  As a gm is not showing the ability to build a teams.

Whether he deserves it or not I am giving him a break because he is saddled with a TERRIBLE coach and he can do nothing about it.

He's also saddled with an imbecile for an owner that I have no doubt pushed him towards appeasing  bowles in each round 1 (just like Tanny had to yield to Rex in EVERY 1st round pick).  This in no way excuses Mac's other awful picks in other rounds. But the way the organization hierarchy is set, Bowles does not have to yield for Mac .

10 hours ago, Paradis said:

What the hell has this GM done for this team? Can someone point to ANY kind of success? 

Why would we trust this guy with next year's crown jewel? 

Why? 

He successfully signed Fitz away from the entire NFL for just $12mil. That ought to count for something!

6 hours ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

I don't appreciate the picture you're trying to paint. You've spent this entire thread trying to discredited me (and lumping me into a group of soapbox artists) - for what? For not liking our GM's ability to do anything but address the QB and the offense? He passed on Lynch to draft Hackenberg. What exactly is it, that I'm guilty of -- besides expecting my GM to be a GM. 

I think the 2016 draft was the draft to make any GM look bad.  Most picked bad players.  There were a few good ones that were able to sift through the muck and pick the real football players despite what Mayock and Kiper said.

Our GM in the first 2 rounds was not one of the good ones. 

1 hour ago, jetscrazey said:

Drafting edge rushers in the mid rounds usually works out like this....

Maccagnan's "wall of shame" is growing rather large:  Devin Smith, Mauldin, Hackenberg are all wasted 2nd/3rd round picks in just the first 2 years.

No but Mac has made "good value" picks!  And Devin Smith should be counted as a future HOFer he just couldn't stay healthy

19 hours ago, Beerfish said:

Mac is a strange case, he has shown some nice scouting ability getting some udf and later round picks.  As a gm is not showing the ability to build a teams.

This.  

There is a huge difference between being a scout who can evaluate the talent of individual players, and being a GM who has to assemble a team.  Macc has found some talent, but where he has failed, in my opinion, is in building a team.  As you pointed out in another post, over the course of 3 offseasons, he has not been able to solve for the most important positions in the game.  We head into the 3rd season of Macc's regime with question marks/injury risks at LT and CB1.  And we have no legitimate edge rusher, starting QB, WR1 or RB1.  Yet Macc continually seems to get a pass from the fanbase.  

I am not calling for his head, at least not yet -- I will wait to see how some of our young OL, RBs, WRs and TEs develop this year.  But if we end the season with the same holes we have now, then  I would be ready to move on from both Bowles and Macc.

I'd be surprised if Mac was fired after this season. Nothing he did this year suggests a guy who's on the hot seat. I have to believe that he got the owner on board with a total rebuild after last year's complete debacle, and was open and honest with him in that this was going to be a miserable year. I don't fault him for passing on the QBs this year, especially if the plan is to be in position to take one of the top signal callers next year. I don't think he's drafted terrible players. He's not Idzik bad. But I have the same complaint that's been repeated in this thread: his ignoring premium positions in general. If Lee or Adams become total game-changers at their respective positions you could justify those picks, but I don't see it happening. 

The team may have the worst roster in the league this year, but it's not like the veterans he let go were such major upgrades over what remains - with the exception, if healthy, of Decker. Mostly he did a needed purge of expensive dead weight. But year three, you want to feel better about the young talent you have. That first draft should be coming into its own, and yet it looks like Williams and maybe Simon and that's it. Guys like Jenkins, Burris, Shell, and Peake need to distinguish themselves this year in expanded roles. 

I think we're stuck with Mac for at least another year. I just hope this season gives me some reason to be optimistic about that. 

In general, I think GMs should get one chance to blow up the roster.  Idzik blew up the roster but then was disastrous in his drafting (great plan, horrible execution).

This is Macc's one blow up chance.  He hits on the QB in next year's draft and everything is golden.  If not, pink slip.

I don't believe it makes sense to install a new regime right before such a pivotal draft.  Macc is good with the no-brainers BAP.  That might happen in the top 5 next year with the QBs.  Nobody wants a GM who thinks he's smarter than anyone else and blow that top 5 consensus pick.

55 minutes ago, slats said:

I'd be surprised if Mac was fired after this season. Nothing he did this year suggests a guy who's on the hot seat. I have to believe that he got the owner on board with a total rebuild after last year's complete debacle, and was open and honest with him in that this was going to be a miserable year. I don't fault him for passing on the QBs this year, especially if the plan is to be in position to take one of the top signal callers next year. I don't think he's drafted terrible players. He's not Idzik bad. But I have the same complaint that's been repeated in this thread: his ignoring premium positions in general. If Lee or Adams become total game-changers at their respective positions you could justify those picks, but I don't see it happening. 

The team may have the worst roster in the league this year, but it's not like the veterans he let go were such major upgrades over what remains - with the exception, if healthy, of Decker. Mostly he did a needed purge of expensive dead weight. But year three, you want to feel better about the young talent you have. That first draft should be coming into its own, and yet it looks like Williams and maybe Simon and that's it. Guys like Jenkins, Burris, Shell, and Peake need to distinguish themselves this year in expanded roles. 

I think we're stuck with Mac for at least another year. I just hope this season gives me some reason to be optimistic about that. 

If the Jets blew up the front office, they would conduct a search and basically get another version of Macc.   What the Jets FO needs is more depth, smarts, support.  

9 minutes ago, SMC said:

In general, I think GMs should get one chance to blow up the roster.  Idzik blew up the roster but then was disastrous in his drafting (great plan, horrible execution).

This is Macc's one blow up chance.  He hits on the QB in next year's draft and everything is golden.  If not, pink slip.

I don't believe it makes sense to install a new regime right before such a pivotal draft.  Macc is good with the no-brainers BAP.  That might happen in the top 5 next year with the QBs.  Nobody wants a GM who thinks he's smarter than anyone else and blow that top 5 consensus pick.

Mac and Bowles were not given a rebuild opportunity prior to this year.  That is what they have now.   The first 2 years were sort of mulligans, given the likely meddling and muddied objectives, but there are enough bad decisions on the board to warrant some type of change.

Although one could argue that Woody should have extended Mac and Bowles for the rebuild redo, I think he said that they would get extensions, or at least 2018, if they showed competence.  Bowles was not competent last year, although he appears to be doing a much better job coaching this year.

No one was talking about firing Hue Jackson last year.  Bowles needs to approach his job the same way.

I am not uncomfortable giving a new QB Bates and Morton as coaches.

29 minutes ago, SMC said:

I think the only way Mac is fired is if someone like Harbaugh is brought in.

Archived