Film Review: Jets @ Lions Preseason Week 2

joerb31

Thanks for this!!!  It was a great read...

Even though it was a bit like rubbing salt in the wound...

One thing that was noticeable - it seemed like Petty had some actual pockets with more than a second or two to throw.  If one of the points of red-shirting Hack was to help get him less shell-shocked - I don't think this preseason is helping...

On that first play, Shell actually does fine; the play is designed to go between the OG/C or, if necessary, between the OG/RT, and Shell (on the combo block with Tomlinson) successfully walls his man to the outside; yes, the DE gets upfield a bit, but in that play design, that should be fine.

Unless, of course, Winters gets driven 4 yards into the backfield, blowing up both of those potential rushing lanes, which is exactly what happened, and (along with Harrison's essentially 1-touch block on the NT, which killed any chance of an inside move) forced Powell to try to swing wide around the corner to try to salvage something.  If Winters makes an even halfway competent block, nobody is complaining about Shell's job on that play

On the Peake slant (off his hands, almost picked), the issue wasn't the decision (he was covered well, but Hack had a window) but the execution.  That ball needs to be thrown into Peake's body, where he can use his position & size to wall off the DB.  Instead, hack throws high & behind

3 hours ago, thshadow said:

Thanks for this!!!  It was a great read...

Even though it was a bit like rubbing salt in the wound...

One thing that was noticeable - it seemed like Petty had some actual pockets with more than a second or two to throw.  If one of the points of red-shirting Hack was to help get him less shell-shocked - I don't think this preseason is helping...

Thanks! And yes Petty definitely had more time to get rid of the ball. But still made better decisions overall

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

On that first play, Shell actually does fine; the play is designed to go between the OG/C or, if necessary, between the OG/RT, and Shell (on the combo block with Tomlinson) successfully walls his man to the outside; yes, the DE gets upfield a bit, but in that play design, that should be fine.

Unless, of course, Winters gets driven 4 yards into the backfield, blowing up both of those potential rushing lanes, which is exactly what happened, and (along with Harrison's essentially 1-touch block on the NT, which killed any chance of an inside move) forced Powell to try to swing wide around the corner to try to salvage something.  If Winters makes an even halfway competent block, nobody is complaining about Shell's job on that play

Yea, the entire o-line did so bad that I couldn't even tell where this run was suppose to go (and it's hard to evaluate without Birdseye) but regardless nobody created any push on this play and for the most part the entire line looked terrible.

2 hours ago, Doggin94it said:

On the Peake slant (off his hands, almost picked), the issue wasn't the decision (he was covered well, but Hack had a window) but the execution.  That ball needs to be thrown into Peake's body, where he can use his position & size to wall off the DB.  Instead, hack throws high & behind

Yes the ball placement was terrible and I still don't like the decision to throw the slant when the man is blanketed by the CB. Peake also should be able to haul in a ball that hits him right in the hands. I would rather have had wait a second and dump it off the Powell in this play who seemed like he was going to be more open then Peake. Peake also runs a terrible route, no explosion off outside plant foot and never uses big frame to his advantage.

1 hour ago, DetroitRed said:

Holy Crap! Hack could have been decapitated on that first sack.  He seemed to be rushing every throw after that hit. 

That thing was overall horrible.  The rush came right to his face, yet Hackenberg has no idea it is coming?  Powell does not pick up the rush, but doesn't turn his head until the ball already bounced on the turf 5 times?  I didn't think Hackenberg looked shellshocked, just bad.  The only time he showed anything was on the scramble and the throw immediately following. Unfortunately, it did not lead to anything sustained at all.   I didn't watch the 2nd half yet, so I can't make fun of Petty.  yet.

Archived