Bowles to Announce Starting QB on Monday

JetNation

qb.jpg

The three-man race for the Jets starting QB job has been called an open competition. Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty apaprently all have been given an opportunity to win the job. The problem is Petty and Hackenberg might not be ready, so the majority of 1st team snaps in training camp have gone to McCown.

In the first two preseason games the team gave Hackenberg plenty of exposure. McCown has played one drive and the team scored their only touchdown. Otherwise Hackenberg looked good in his first game, and struggled in the 2nd game. Bryce Petty has been getting mop up duty so it doesn’t seem like the team is strongly considering giving him the job.

Todd Bowles was asked if he’s made a decision about playing time for the quarterbacks on Saturday…

No, not at the moment. We’re going to start doing some things, doing some work tomorrow and Wednesday. We’ll have a plan.

He was asked how the QB’s rank.

I have my own thoughts, but it’s a coaching decision from all of us. We’ll discuss it after the game, and we’ll come out with our starter.

Bowles added that the team won’t name the starter right after the Giants game on Saturday. Instead they will watch the game film and name the starter, probably, on Monday.

It seems that McCown will be named the starter and they will try to bring Hackenberg along slowly. Although with McCown’s age and history of not playing a full season, it is safe to assume that either Hackenberg or Petty will get their shot sooner rather than later.

Jets fans are sounding off on the New York Jets QB situation in our forums.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
99fgJyVj2zc

Click here to read the full story...

By the looks of the offensive line, and missed D reads by the youngsters, by game 4 or 5, Powell will be the starting QB. Mc Cown is frail and might not even make the season opener after the next Preseason game. Unless the O-LINE transforms into something decent, the QB'S are going to get banged up quick. The line has not been able to open up much for the ground game which makes the offense very predictable. 

1 minute ago, Villain The Foe said:

The heck with this. I hope Petty gets the starting role. Hackenberg isnt ready and I simply cannot support Fitz 2.0. Let's go Petty! 

I'd love this, but Bowles won't do it.

To me the bigger picture is how many games does McCown get before either Hack or Petty get games.

I could see maybe some close games against bad teams and still lose but this season is all about Hack and Petty. If it's not it's a complete failure.

I think there is a theory that a few games will get these unknown WR's acclimated with McCown to get a idea where they stand.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

I read the Broncos article re their naming Siemian the starter.  They basically said that their first round pick, picked ahead of Hack, was not ready to start, but they thought he had a future.  Siemian was making the right reads-it was not about arm or athleticism.

Lynch was very upset but took it like a man.

The QBs are what they are.  Re where they were drafted, you can blame the GM, but each team needs to assess whether a QB has a future and what they need for development.  QBs are too valuable to not try and develop them.  Who knows, maybe someone trades for Hack or Petty this offseason after we draft a FQB high in round 1 (if the Bills and Jaguars don't beat us to it).

There is little value in starting McCown except to protect Hack and Petty until we see the OL get in sync. 

I wonder how many 'elway must go' chants are happening. After all, he wasted a 1st round pick on a QB that didn't play last year and cannot beat out a JAG this year. Granted, he was ranked higher than Hack and Hack was likely a reach, but he was still a 2nd round pick.

4 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

There is little value in starting McCown except to protect Hack and Petty until we see the OL get in sync. 

I wonder how many 'elway must go' chants are happening. After all, he wasted a 1st round pick on a QB that didn't play last year and cannot beat out a JAG this year. Granted, he was ranked higher than Hack and Hack was likely a reach, but he was still a 2nd round pick.

Well to Elway's credit, Lynch is at least being beaten by another draft pick. Not a JAG veteran that can't stay on a team longer then two seasons. 

7 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Well to Elway's credit, Lynch is at least being beaten by another draft pick. Not a JAG veteran that can't stay on a team longer then two seasons. 

Yep, but and Elway is a better GM, but had Mac picked Lynch in the first and he couldn't beat out McCown or Petty it would have been a crime. Also, this draft pick barely beat out Sanchez. People are still calling for Mac's head for wasting a 2nd on Hack. Yes, Elway has a successful history; Yes, the Broncos have won the big show; just saying ...

Cannot imagine it's anyone other than McCown.

Prefer Petty or Hack, really don't care which, Petty has kinda-sorta earned it, Hack has the theoretical "upside", but either brings more potential to the table than McCown.

But lets be honest here.  It's McCown. 

14 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

Yep, but and Elway is a better GM, but had Mac picked Lynch in the first and he couldn't beat out McCown or Petty it would have been a crime. Also, this draft pick barely beat out Sanchez. People are still calling for Mac's head for wasting a 2nd on Hack. Yes, Elway has a successful history; Yes, the Broncos have won the big show; just saying ...

I especially like the part where you mentioned how Elway has won a Super Bowl and Macc hasn't as kind of a NBD afterthought. 

McCown was likely signed because over the last 3 years he has enabled his teams to get top draft picks why providing NFL quality entertainment.  

I think the unwritten rule is that even if you tank, you have to provide NFL quality product.  At this point, only McCown does that, although I think Petty could.

Hack is not there yet.  Honestly, I think Hack gets through preseason next year to be able to function.  After that I can see him being jettisoned.

6 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I especially like the part where you mentioned how Elway has won a Super Bowl and Macc hasn't as kind of a NBD afterthought. 

nope; not discounting it; GMs get the benefit of the doubt based on track record. Just saying - if Mac had picked Lynch in the first and he wasn't starting there would be planes and drones going crazy over training camp. My point wasn't as much that people should be dissing Elway; it was more a. Lynch wasn't as ready as many here thought he was b. even experienced, successful GM's whiff/overpay on QBs.

So many people willing to discard Hack after 1 bad performance (after a pretty solid one) and go with a 38 year old journeyman that sucks.  I guess accepting mediocrity is much more palatable than going though the growing pains of developing a QB.

Only 2 possible correct answers to the starting question" Hack or Petty.

In game 3 alternate series between Hack and Petty the entire game. That is what I would do.

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

So many people willing to discard Hack after 1 bad performance (after a pretty solid one) and go with a 38 year old journeyman that sucks.  I guess accepting mediocrity is much more palatable than going though the growing pains of developing a QB.

Only 2 possible correct answers to the starting question" Hack or Petty.

In game 3 alternate series between Hack and Petty the entire game. That is what I would do.

1 bad performance, 1 middling performance, a bad performance the previous year, not getting played in garbage time because he wouldn't be able to handle criticism and a college career full of of bad performances. People are fine with going through growing pains for QB, but the Jets need to find one first.

You can also drop the strawman that anyone besides bowles wants McCown to start.

1 minute ago, jeremy2020 said:

1 bad performance, 1 middling performance, a bad performance the previous year, not getting played in garbage time because he wouldn't be able to handle criticism and a college career full of of bad performances. People are fine with going through growing pains for QB, but the Jets need to find one first.

You can also drop the strawman that anyone besides bowles wants McCown to start.

What Strawman? Many people here want McClown to start. Also, at this point college starts and last preseason are completely irrelevant to the QB that Hack is today. And the OL was at least 50% at fault in Saturday's performance.

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

What Strawman? Many people here want McClown to start. Also, at this point college starts and last preseason are completely irrelevant to the QB that Hack is today. And the OL was at least 50% at fault in Saturday's performance.

and geno just didn't have any weapons...

Name 3 people who want McCown to start. Reference posts. Since there's so many, this should be easy.

10 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

nope; not discounting it; GMs get the benefit of the doubt based on track record. Just saying - if Mac had picked Lynch in the first and he wasn't starting there would be planes and drones going crazy over training camp. My point wasn't as much that people should be dissing Elway; it was more a. Lynch wasn't as ready as many here thought he was b. even experienced, successful GM's whiff/overpay on QBs.

I'm not sure there were many people who thought Lynch was anything but a project... So far, that appears to be accurate.  On the other hand, there were reports calling Hackenberg "undraftable" and those reports also seem to be accurate.

As for Lynch, I'm still not sure you can say he wasn't a better decision than Lee.

32 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Many people here want McClown to start.

Really? I'm pretty sure zero Jets fans want 38 year-old Josh McCown to be the Jets' starting QB.

There may be some who have accepted the team's evaluation that there isn't much choice because of Hackenberg's (and/or Petty's) shortcomings. If one accepts the idea that neither of these kids are ready to see the field in live action, and neither will be good enough this year to warrant passing up on a QB in 2018, it has to be acknowledged are other young players on the team's offense that need work. Receivers need to have passes thrown to them, even if it's by a pretty bad and old (but legitimate NFL-level) QB. Also the defense isn't going to make it to the bye week if the offense is off the field as quickly as they get on it.

Everybody wants Hackenberg and Petty to both be awesome, including those who hated or ridiculed the Hackenberg pick from day 1. No fan wants McCown to start.

Relax -- if history is any indicator, McCown won't make it to October behind this team's pass blocking anyway.

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Really? I'm pretty sure zero Jets fans want 38 year-old Josh McCown to be the Jets' starting QB.

There may be some who have accepted the team's evaluation that there isn't much choice because of Hackenberg's (and/or Petty's) shortcomings. If one accepts the idea that neither of these kids are ready to see the field in live action, and neither will be good enough this year to warrant passing up on a QB in 2018, it has to be acknowledged are other young players on the team's offense that need work. Receivers need to have passes thrown to them, even if it's by a pretty bad and old (but legitimate NFL-level) QB. Also the defense isn't going to make it to the bye week if the offense is off the field as quickly as they get on it.

Everybody wants Hackenberg and Petty to both be awesome, including those who hated or ridiculed the Hackenberg pick from day 1. No fan wants McCown to start.

Relax -- if history is any indicator, McCown won't make it to October behind this team's pass blocking anyway.

This is 100% accurate.  There are no Josh McCown fans.  There's simply a group of people who accept the reality that Hackenberg/Petty can't provide even the minimum required level of competence to be given the job.

9 minutes ago, gEYno said:

This is 100% accurate.  There are no Josh McCown fans.  There's simply a group of people who accept the reality that Hackenberg/Petty can't provide even the minimum required level of competence to be given the job.

Personally I'd still toss Petty out there if Hackenberg wasn't ready. He wasn't good last year but he wasn't zomg all he does is drop back and fall down after tripping on his own feet and then piss and **** himself.

Then again, Bowles may be doing this for the young QBs (and for himself at the same time). Let McCown get injured so early so there's nobody - not the fans, the media, players, coaches, nor owner(s) - calling for McCown to be put in later on. There will be no choice but to rally around whichever kid is out there, and no second-guessing it either, for the rest of the season.

#genius

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I read the Broncos article re their naming Siemian the starter.  They basically said that their first round pick, picked ahead of Hack, was not ready to start, but they thought he had a future.  Siemian was making the right reads-it was not about arm or athleticism.

Lynch was very upset but took it like a man.

The QBs are what they are.  Re where they were drafted, you can blame the GM, but each team needs to assess whether a QB has a future and what they need for development.  QBs are too valuable to not try and develop them.  Who knows, maybe someone trades for Hack or Petty this offseason after we draft a FQB high in round 1 (if the Bills and Jaguars don't beat us to it).

I don't know who was a bigger reach Lynch, or Hack?

Archived