The NY Jets do not have an offense

Dcronin

10 hours ago, legler82 said:

Seriously, what would you guys do if they drafted a defensive player with our first pick next year?

If Hackenberg didnt light up the season and Darnold was on the board? Forget planes...I'd be paying for blimps to fly over Jets One Drive. 

What's funny about all this is if the Jets beat the Giants we will hear how the Jets are going to win 6-8 games and blow the chance for the #1 pick,  Hack has a chance to be our QB of the future,  etc. Just like after the first PS game. Too funny. 

19 hours ago, Ohio State NY Jets fan said:

The Jets have not had a complete offense since the 8 games of Favre (that was fun), the OL, running game and defense carried the team a few more years and now we wait for the Tuna two

That's not really true. We had a top 15, top 20 offense in a lot of categories in 2015. We were productive that year.

However - big takeaway - you guys? You made me feel a lot better.

0-16 may be kind of fun and stress-free!

DC

On 8/22/2017 at 2:18 PM, Adoni Beast said:

next season:

- Beef up Oline in free agency as much as possible where needed. 

While I don't disagree with the line being an area of need, the Jets just handed out $35m in guaranteed (or effectively guaranteed) new money on the OL in 2017. We just extended Winters at $7.5m per with 2 years guaranteed, another $5m+ for Ijalana, $12m to Beachum (guaranteeing 50% of Beachum's salary for 2018), and $3m for a year of Wesley Johnson. This is on top of other mindless wastes of resources before that on the OL, like putting Breno on the PUP list instead of the obvious move of cutting him outright, costing yet another $5m. 

This stuff tends to add up, and scoffing at $5m that's purely wasted is how we later end up with an $8m player instead of a $13m player, while spending the same total amount. Plus it's not so easy to find great deals in free agency because other teams tend to lock up their better players before they've played the last game on their prior contract.

For example, look at the prospects of signing a veteran center next year. I don't see any really great solutions in free agency. Any younger ones that take a big leap in play will surely be retained by their 2017 teams, and the others are veterans that will already be 32 (Eric Wood, Evan Smith) if they aren't extended by their current teams; hardly the stuff of building block additions. The best hope is extending someone from this year - after the season's over, no doubt - or landing someone in the draft. But of course to do that in the draft we have to gamble on it by not investing in a veteran right before the draft.

In most cases the best solution for building sustained success on the OL is through the draft, and the best strategy is to draft those positions before we need them, not when we need them (so we don't reach or over-invest in losers in free agency just prior to the draft). In the last 3 drafts, with this forward-thinking in mind, we've taken 2 offensive linemen: a 5th round G/RT in 2015, a 5th round RT in 2016, and none in 2017.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

While I don't disagree with the line being an area of need, the Jets just handed out $35m in guaranteed (or effectively guaranteed) new money on the OL in 2017. We just extended Winters at $7.5m per with 2 years guaranteed, another $5m+ for Ijalana, $12m to Beachum (guaranteeing 50% of Beachum's salary for 2018), and $3m for a year of Wesley Johnson. This is on top of other mindless wastes of resources before that on the OL, like putting Breno on the PUP list instead of the obvious move of cutting him outright, costing yet another $5m. 

This stuff tends to add up, and scoffing at $5m that's purely wasted is how we later end up with an $8m player instead of a $13m player, while spending the same total amount. Plus it's not so easy to find great deals in free agency because other teams tend to lock up their better players before they've played the last game on their prior contract.

For example, look at the prospects of signing a veteran center next year. I don't see any really great solutions in free agency. Any younger ones that take a big leap in play will surely be retained by their 2017 teams, and the others are veterans that will already be 32 (Eric Wood, Evan Smith) if they aren't extended by their current teams; hardly the stuff of building block additions. The best hope is extending someone from this year - after the season's over, no doubt - or landing someone in the draft. But of course to do that in the draft we have to gamble on it by not investing in a veteran right before the draft.

In most cases the best solution for building sustained success on the OL is through the draft, and the best strategy is to draft those positions before we need them, not when we need them (so we don't reach or over-invest in losers in free agency just prior to the draft). In the last 3 drafts, with this forward-thinking in mind, we've taken 2 offensive linemen: a 5th round G/RT in 2015, a 5th round RT in 2016, and none in 2017.

I was no upset with what we did with our guards but was not happy with the Beachum (inured and tossed aside by Jax) and Ijalana who i view as a puer back up player.

I totally agree about the draft, teams fail alot trying to fix oline via fa.  The best olineman do not get to Fa.

Archived