Training Camp Practice 8/23

Lupz27

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

None of them look great. The fact that McCown is about even with Petty and even the fact that Petty has been outplayed by and is just getting about even with Hackenberg shows how bad we are this position. 

Hackeneberg didn't even get practice reps last year. McCown should have been well ahead of them at this point. 

My prediction: McCown starts first 6 games. After that, depends on how the next 2 preseason games and last 2 weeks of practice go. If Petty blows away Hack, Petty will get a shot to start. If they're about even they'll give the last 10 games to Hack.

If Petty completely fails these last 2 weeks, idk if he even makes the roster. Petty and Hackenberg are both competing to be the future starter of the Jets or thr future backup. If Hackenberg proves to be at least as good as Petty this season. Pettys gone, and Hackenberg will backup Darnold (hopefully).

they all stink but hackenberg is the youngest and has the least experience, so giving him more reps should be the most beneficial. Maybe the light will go on for him with more reps. He looked god-awful vs detroit though, so I am not overly optimistic. 

Bob Glauber (@BobGlauber)

8/23/17, 2:06 PM

Jets practice at 2 hours, 36 minutes and counting. One of longest practices of camp. #riseandgrind

McCown was starter at the beginning of team drills, but Hackenberg and Petty have gotten the majority of snaps in practice today. #jets

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Bob Glauber (@BobGlauber)

8/23/17, 2:06 PM

Jets practice at 2 hours, 36 minutes and counting. One of longest practices of camp. #riseandgrind

Isn't that the theory behind practice....the more of it the better chance that lousy players may actually get better?

Just now, section314 said:

Isn't that the theory behind practice....the more of it the better chance that lousy players may actually get better?

Yeah but the longer the practice the less time at the bars for the writers. 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

This guy needs to spend his 4 week suspension catches passes 10 hours a day  

NYJFTV (@NYJFTV)

8/23/17, 2:02 PM

Bad drop by Jalin Marshall from McCown #JetsCamp #Jets

He will still be terrible and Bowles will still have a hard on for him and start him...

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

This guy needs to spend his 4 week suspension catches passes 10 hours a day  

NYJFTV (@NYJFTV)

8/23/17, 2:02 PM

Bad drop by Jalin Marshall from McCown #JetsCamp #Jets

A practice isn't complete until you have a bad drop by Jalin Marshall. If Enunwa was healthy, I could easily see Marshall getting cut. 

New York Jets‏ @nyjets 

We have signed TE Brandon Barnes and released WR Marquess Wilson.

VanderLaan is banged up/shoulder, pec

Barnes, who signed with the Lions as an undrafted free agent from Alabama State, was waived by Detroit on Aug. 9. In college he had 29 catches for 436 yards and six touchdowns during 38 games.

DRAFT PROJECTION

Rounds 7-PFA

BOTTOM LINE

While there is tape to watch for Barnes, it doesn't take very long to get through most of his targets since his pass-catching production was limited, comparatively speaking. Barnes has the frame, length and athletic ability that teams love to groom. He's very raw and will require patience and extensive work as a blocker and receiver, but there is enough of a ceiling to make him a Day 3 or priority free agent pickup.

Barnes was still growing. He came to Alabama State 6-3, 205. He'll leave 6-5, 255 -- with quick feet. Granted, he's a part of a loaded tight end class, but he'll have a home somewhere -- a week from today. Barnes also sees a greater possibility of being a key contributor in the NFL than maybe even in college. The pro-style offense definitely leans on a good tight end more than many college offenses these days.

"From a college standpoint, a lot of teams go to hurry up and fast-paced offenses," Barnes said. "It doesn't help the tight end situation ... The NFL is more tradition, that old school football from back in the day where the tight end can be more effective. A good tight end can help you wear down another team's defense."

Alabama State

This was a workout I was looking forward to hearing about, and it met all expectations. The team has three sleepers who scouts went to watch and people must pay attention to.

Tight end Brandon Barnes measured 6047 and 255 pounds, had an arm length of 35 inches and hands which stretched 10 7/8 inches. He pushed up 20 reps on the bench, touched 35.5 inches in the vertical jump and reached 9-foot-6 in the broad. He ran the 40 in 4.69s, timed 7.01s in the three-cone, 12.12s in the 60-yard shuttle and 4.28s in the short shuttle despite slipping.

I’m told he looked terrific during pass-catching drills and with his hand size looked as though he was plucking baseballs from the air. I would expect Barnes’ schedule to quickly fill up with official visits, and he’s moved into the last day of the draft.

http://draftanalyst.com/pro-day-march-10-update-tulsa-alabama-state

56 minutes ago, Barkus said:

they all stink but hackenberg is the youngest and has the least experience, so giving him more reps should be the most beneficial. Maybe the light will go on for him with more reps. He looked god-awful vs detroit though, so I am not overly optimistic. 

You know, being outside of the NY area, I finally got a chance to see that game for myself and the Hack stunk is an inaccurate  description of what actually happened .  Furthermore, the Petty looked good is also inaccurate portrayal of his performance .

Hackenberg did not play well, but he wasn't given many opportunities to throw the ball mostly due to down and distance and play calling .  The makeshift offensive line that started the game was ridiculous . They couldn't run block or Pass block against a Lions defense missing it's best defensive linemen . 

Petty played better as far as his stats showed, but he didn't look any better than Hack . He had better protection due to the quality of payer he faced, but his mistakes looked much like Hack's from last year's Eagles game and his good pays looked much like the good plays of hack from the 1st preseason game .   

Against the Giants, I would love to see Petty go against the Giants 1st team defense and Hack go against the 2nd team  .   Truth be told, both our young QBs are improving, but neither is ready to start . 

40 minutes ago, Sarge4Tide said:

Wilson is a guy with a ton of talent but seems like he couldn't come back from the severe foot injury 

I think Dan Williams and the injury Wilson sustained in camp contributed to this release . I could be wrong thou .

46 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

What's going to be great is when they announce Petty as the starter, and then the narrative dubs him as our own home-grown "bridge the gap" QB while we "develop" Sam Darnold. 

I was just talking to my notary (rabid Giants fan who's family has had Giants STix since 1927!) and he was haranguing me about the Jets QB situation and how it would be "so typical Jets/Mets" to start McCown until he eventually breaks down. Claims they should start the young guys, despite how bad Hackenberg looks. 

I agreed and stated that Petty will be announced the starter and Hackenberg will back him up & then start once (#9 still is rather fragile and Bad OLine) Petty goes down w/injury. McCown will only start if BOTH young QBs go down. 

HAck is clearly NOT ready yet, and Mac can still save face if ONE of his TWO selected QBs shows competence and at LEAST can become a solid #2 QB and mentor for whoever we draft in '18, b/c McCown won't be here next year.

8 minutes ago, Gas2No99 said:

HAck is clearly NOT ready yet, and Mac can still save face if ONE of his TWO selected QBs shows competence and at LEAST can become a solid #2 QB and mentor for whoever we draft in '18, b/c McCown won't be here next year.

The NY market coupled with the general team dysfunction makes this a much bigger issue than it needs to be.   So what if a 2nd rd pick isn't ready in year 2?   If Hack played for a team with a real QB this wouldn't even be an issue.   He has obviously improved from yr 1 to yr 2 so let him make the same jump in yr 3.   

7 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

The NY market coupled with the general team dysfunction makes this a much bigger issue than it needs to be.   So what if a 2nd rd pick isn't ready in year 2?   If Hack played for a team with a real QB this wouldn't even be an issue.   He has obviously improved from yr 1 to yr 2 so let him make the same jump in yr 3.   

Good points, but I am betting this team will be drafting a QB very high next year and Hack will become an afterthought if he doesn't show promise at some point this year.  

11 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Good points, but I am betting this team will be drafting a QB very high next year and Hack will become an afterthought if he doesn't show promise at some point this year.  

unless they get Darnold they are likely going to have the same problem next year.   All of the "air raid" QB's need at least 1 year to adapt to a pro offense and most of the colleges are running some variation of the scheme.  

58 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

Petty improved from year 2 to 3.  Petty beat the 49ers last year.  What is most upsetting to me is Hack not fixing is protection on that first play.  That showed he was somewhat clueless, but I say given the wallop he took that is a mistake he does not make again.

50 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

This whole year is premised on the Jets taking a QB high in this year's draft.   They will take someone.  Hopefully it is Darnold.  Great article on him in ESPN.   Darnold grew up swimming in the Pacific.  He has trained him to be calm, cool and collected, and to think on his feet.  I just wonder if the light is on in Hack's head.  Petty seems to get it more.  

I think the Jets then have 2 options:  If they think Hack or Petty can be a bridge QB, they stand pat with those 3.  Petty's contract rolls off next year, Hack's the year after that.  The Jets are picking QBs every year after that, for at least 2 years.  Other than Darnold (and maybe even not for him), I would not count on a newly drafted QB starting day 1.  

If Petty looks good, maybe we can trade him.

If there is no hope for Hack or Petty as at least a bridge next year, the Jets need to do a Bears and sign someone.  If they don't get Darnold, that person could be effectively a 2 year commitment, but hopefully 1.

I do think that next year the Jets need to be all in.  They need to spend and draft like they are competing.   They will need WRs, RBs, LT, C, OLB perhaps, and at least one CB.  In addition to the QB.  There are not enough draft picks and cap space to fill all of those holes in one year.

27 minutes ago, varjet said:

I do think that next year the Jets need to be all in.  They need to spend and draft like they are competing.   They will need WRs, RBs, LT, C, OLB perhaps, and at least one CB.  In addition to the QB.  There are not enough draft picks and cap space to fill all of those holes in one year.

No, just no. The Jets should never ever again be big players in the FA market. There is no return on investment. We need to draft better. If we completely implode this year I cannot see Mac and Bowles surviving and like they say, 6th time is a charm.

36 minutes ago, varjet said:

Petty improved from year 2 to 3.  Petty beat the 49ers last year.  What is most upsetting to me is Hack not fixing is protection on that first play.  That showed he was somewhat clueless, but I say given the wallop he took that is a mistake he does not make again.

Josh McCown is 18-42 an NFL starter FYI. 

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

No, just no. The Jets should never ever again be big players in the FA market. There is no return on investment. We need to draft better. If we completely implode this year I cannot see Mac and Bowles surviving and like they say, 6th time is a charm.

I think the Revis type mega-contracts are bad. 

The Carpenter type contracts are better.   They need alot of players.   They are not going to draft a team in less than 3 years, and they have drafted so lousily that I don't think there will be enough opportunity to use cap space how it should be used-on your own drafted players.

2 hours ago, LionelRichie said:

If Hack played for a team with a real QB, he wouldn't have been picked in the 2nd.

16 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

If Hack played for a team with a real QB, he wouldn't have been picked in the 2nd.

Kevin Kolb : Donovan McNabb

David Klingler : Boomer Esiason

Kordell Stewart : Neil O'Donnell

Kellen Clemens : Chad Pennington

:D

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

You know, being outside of the NY area, I finally got a chance to see that game for myself and the Hack stunk is an inaccurate  description of what actually happened .  Furthermore, the Petty looked good is also inaccurate portrayal of his performance .

Hackenberg did not play well, but he wasn't given many opportunities to throw the ball mostly due to down and distance and play calling .  The makeshift offensive line that started the game was ridiculous . They couldn't run block or Pass block against a Lions defense missing it's best defensive linemen . 

Petty played better as far as his stats showed, but he didn't look any better than Hack . He had better protection due to the quality of payer he faced, but his mistakes looked much like Hack's from last year's Eagles game and his good pays looked much like the good plays of hack from the 1st preseason game .   

Against the Giants, I would love to see Petty go against the Giants 1st team defense and Hack go against the 2nd team  .   Truth be told, both our young QBs are improving, but neither is ready to start . 

Well I was at that game my friend. Hack was bad from start to finish. He was so locked into that WR on the play where he fumbled he did not even see the guy coming. The guy was not blocked but he should have felt that pressure coming and pulled it down. This something even a pee-wee QB would have felt. Further he looked completely lost out there and the Lions did not even play well. The reason why he didn't get his chances to throw were because of his complete lack of football smarts. When your coach is calling draw plays on 3rd and long its not because of bad line play it because your QB is just that bad.

Hell Petty had a TD pass dropped that went right through the guys hands. That pass should have been caught. If the Lions weren't given a gift TD the Jets could have won that game. That's how bad the Lions played. Petty has earned more reps with the 1st team and Hack needs so much work its hard to believe he is even being considered for the starting job. I am all for letting the young guys battle it out but Petty looked light years ahead of Hack even against 3rd stringers. In no way am I saying Petty is the future at QB just that he is ahead of Hack and should be above him on the depth chart. That is a sign of Hack's ineptness not Petty's ability.

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Were you watching the game from Venus through a telescope you made out of a Pringles can?

The Jets begin team drills and QB Josh McCown is with the starters, not running gassers on his own

For the second straight day, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty received the majority of the Jets' QB reps, ahead of Josh McCown. The breakdown: Hackenberg 19, Petty 15 and McCown nine. They did a two-minute drill walk through at the end, and McCown took those reps. This is a strange competition.

Jets injury report: RB Matt Forte (hamstring) practiced for the second straight day with no setbacks. Didn't practice: CB Morris Claiborne (shoulder), LB Darron Lee (illness), LB Lorenzo Mauldin (back), TE Jordan Leggett (sprained foot), S Rontez Miles (eye) and DL Anthony Johnson (stinger). TE Jason Vander Laan (shoulder) is having tests. It could be a significant injury

Jets rookie report: OLB Dylan Donahue practiced with the starting base defense, in Lorenzo Mauldin's vacated spot. Coach Todd Bowles downplayed the significance, saying it was just to get a better evaluation of Donahue, who missed the first game with a minor shoulder injury. TE Jordan Leggett (sprained foot) is missing valuable practice time, which could hamper his ability to contribute in Week 1. Safeties Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye continue to draw praise from coaches and teammates.

Jets' quarterback competition gets weird ... and Todd Bowles clams up

i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2017%2F0823%2Fr248091_1 Josh Mccown was 5-for-5 in his limited action during Wednesday's Jets practice. AP Photo/Seth Wenig

• cimini_rich.png&w=160&h=160&scale=crop
    Rich Cimini ESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- For the second straight day, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty shared the majority of the quarterback reps, with Josh McCown reduced to a bit role on Wednesday. This is a curious way to conduct a competition, considering there's only one preseason game remaining for the starters.

PredictablyNew York Jets coach Todd Bowles offered no insight, leaving us to decipher the strategy. It could be one of two things:

1. Bowles knows what McCown can do and wants to give Hackenberg and Petty as many reps as possible, perhaps even letting them play most of the game Saturday night against the New York Giants. The downside to this approach is that McCown will get shortchanged, which could come back to bite them if he's the Week 1 starter, as expected. He's a heady player, but even smart guys need game reps. So far, McCown has taken only seven snaps in the preseason.

2. Bowles is keeping his options open. He hasn't tipped his hand, refusing to give the edge to anyone. If you take his words at face value, it's still an open competition, which would mean Hackenberg still has a chance to be the Week 1 starter. That would be an all-time upset, considering the way he played last week in Detroit. Hackenberg would have to be lights-out against a very good Giants defense to warrant consideration, but don't be surprised if he gets first-team work in the game.

It doesn't have to be this confusing, of course, but the Jets send mixed messages. Bowles said the coaching staff won't decide this week's starter until Thursday night. Asked if all three will play, he said, "We'll sit down and talk about it."

Is there a chance Hackenberg could start?

"We've got to sit down and talk about it," Bowles said.

Any chance he'd rest McCown on Saturday night?

"We'll sit down and talk about it," he said. "It's still early."

On Wednesday, Hackenberg led the way with 19 reps, followed by Petty (15) and McCown (nine). A look at their day:

JOSH McCOWN

Wow moment: There weren't any great plays, but it was a solid day. In fact, he was 5-for-5 in his limited action. At the end of practice, he was the quarterback in a walk-through of a two-minute drill, perhaps an indication he'll be in the game at the end of the first half.

Whoa moment: With Hackenberg and Petty sharing most of the action, McCown had a brief soft-toss with tight end Jordan Leggett off to the side. On Tuesday, he decided to run gassers on his own -- his way of staying active.

CHRISTIAN HACKENBERG

Wow moment: Every so often, he provides a glimpse of promise -- and it happened on a deep fade route to rookie wide receiver Chad Hansen. Hackenberg showed great touch on his high-arching pass, dropping it in the bucket, as they say. All told, he was 14-for-17, but keep it mind those numbers were compiled against the scout-team defense. Ditto, McCown and Petty.

Whoa moment: Not on this day.

BRYCE PETTY

Wow moment: His encouraging outing in Detroit has resulted in an increased number of reps. Petty was sharp, completing 9 of 10 passes. "Bryce has been picking it up pretty good and getting more comfortable in it," Bowles said. "He's been throwing the ball downfield more. I do see that." His best throw was a frozen rope to Robby Anderson, who made a juggling catch.

Whoa moment: It was a clean day in terms of turnovers, as it was for all three quarterbacks.

Archived