What realistic scenario does not get Bowles fired at seasons end?

nico002

I don't think his future is tied to the team's record as much as if the team is playing hard at the end of the year and showing signs of improvement. If he loses this young locker room, however, I think he's a goner. 

If neither of the QB's progress, and his defensive unit doesn't look good you have to fire him.  If one of the 2 above happen he has a shot to stick around regardless of record, and obviously if both happen he will be safe.  Just my Opinion.

Bowles shouldn't get fired because this team is not built to win this year. The Jets took the correct course to get rid of their over priced veterans and go with youth this season. Next year the presumably will have a high 1st round pick and excess of $80M in cap room. They should stick with a plan and see through. 

34 minutes ago, nico002 said:

On the other hand, what gets big macc fired?

Fielding a team that is so bad that it embarrasses the franchise.  In other words, if the offense and first team defense look like they did on Saturday night against Detroit.  

4 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

Bowles shouldn't get fired because this team is not built to win this year. The Jets took the correct course to get rid of their over priced veterans and go with youth this season. Next year the presumably will have a high 1st round pick and excess of $80M in cap room. They should stick with a plan and see through. 

This is not like working at Apple where you need a good reason to fire someone, and fairness and all that BS. It's about results, and by that I mean crafting a plan. Implementing it. Adjusting it competently when needed, and most importantly getting the players to follow it especially when things aren't going well. 

If Bowles can make progress with the young talent. Stand up to the Vets, and higher drafted players, and start the guys that show the most upside, all while keeping control of the locker room then he stays.

We should see some type of reasoned plan from Bowles. We want to stay competitive because taking a beating is not going to benefit anyone, but playing safe which is Bowles middle name is the worst thing we could do.

The main goal for this year should be to identify the players with potential and put those guys in a position to succeed. Winning is not the most important thing this year. Developing talent is. 

It'll be a balancing act for sure and by no means do I suspect he can do it, or that he can even bring himself to attempt it, but if he can then he has grown and I'd give him another year. 

35 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

When they find out that no one else wants the job.

On Late Hits last night someone asked about Marvin Lewis not winning a playoff game in umpteen years.   Gil's sidekick said that Mike Brown thinks he is a good coach, and he does not think he could replace him with anyone better.  I think they look at playoff failures as a result of talent and injuries as well.

It would feel really good to do something in reaction to the mess here that has been created.  But I agree with the post below and others similar-he can keep his job if he exhibits positive coaching despite the record.  That being said, what could do him in is if they bring in someone to oversee the operation, and that person says NFW to Bowles.

33 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

If neither of the QB's progress, and his defensive unit doesn't look good you have to fire him.  If one of the 2 above happen he has a shot to stick around regardless of record, and obviously if both happen he will be safe.  Just my Opinion.

I think the defensive unit needs to look above average-ish.  Bad field position and time of possession will drag them down.  But they should look decent-ish.  If they look like last year, Bowles is toast.  But watch the corners-that could be where the Jets are very vulnerable.

I think the coaching community knows that the Jets are a blackhole now.  If they want to hire someone better than Bowles or Macc, they will need to fi the organization.

Ownership, for whatever reasons (everybody will say cheapness even though he has poured a fortune into the franchise) has consistently, at least after Parcells, gone for first timers. First time GMs and head coaches. In which case you have to give them time to grow into the job. You can't keep dumping them after two, three years and grab another first timer. Not thrilled with Bowles or Mac right now but as others stated if you see development in QBs and defense this year you have to keep them for 2018.  

I think Ryan Fitzpatrick really screwed up thier plans. They brought him in to be back up during the "competitive rebuild" to start their tenure. Then IK made him the starter with one punch and he had a career year. All of a sudden I think they felt they had to change course and try and build on that success in 2016 only to have the real Fitzpatrick show up and now they are stuck doing the full rebuild they should have done in 2015.

2 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

As long as Chris is spite-fapping all over Woody's prized mahogany desk, while big bro is off running a fool's errand... nothing is going to change.

Can we change that to Chris spite-tapping sexy interns all over Woody's prized mahogany desk? 

I think if certain young players (Not just high draft picks) show a lot of progress and the ship is generally sailing in the right direction (despite a 1-15 or 0-16 record), Bowles and Macc get to keep their jobs. That is a long shot, however, as the Jets offense is literally a trainwreck, even with a career failure like McCown or an inept rookie like Hackenberg starting.  

I think the defense has to be look good despite being on the field way too much and there needs to be a level of progress from the younger guys for him to have any chance.

Not sure how this team is scoring points so I don't think you can judge based off of record. The complete and utter lack of offensive talent isn't on the HC.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

When they find out that no one else wants the job.

This has been the problem a CEO/President/Godfather can solve; he lines up the HC and GM candidates informally asking if they're interested before you pull the trigger. Instead we'll get the Johnson family farming out  2 separate jobs for guys who are not on the same page. Which is how we wound up again with a GM looking to tank and a deluded HC who thinks he can save his job with 7 pointless wins by any means necessary. 

3 minutes ago, derp said:

I think the defense has to be look good despite being on the field way too much and there needs to be a level of progress from the younger guys for him to have any chance.

Not sure how this team is scoring points so I don't think you can judge based off of record. The complete and utter lack of offensive talent isn't on the HC.

With this dearth of offensive talent, recall Bowles was smiling ear to ear on draft day. So eff him sideways. 

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Stop. Nobody is getting fired at seasons end. Not happening period. Impossible. Both fired by week 10. 

If you want a real tank job, don't want an interim guy to come in here and go .500 after Thanksgiving to eff that up. 

27 minutes ago, Ken Shroy said:

Its going to be tough to find positives in a 1-15 season. If there are boo birds, empty seats, banners flying overhead, and NO starting QB?

Its over for Bowles and you can make a case for Mac to be gone and they should be.

1-15 didn't get Hue Jackson fired.

itsmall about expectations.  When you look at a team that is predicted to be bottom of the league bad talent wise how do you blame the coach.  If they play hard and try he's safe as can be

4 minutes ago, Bugg said:

If you want a real tank job, don't want an interim guy to come in here and go .500 after Thanksgiving to eff that up. 

I thought we were all operating under the understanding regardless of what they do they will eff it all up. I really never considered an alternative. 

Bowles will not get fired at all after this year, anyone who think she will be better be prepared for major disappointment. He has every excuse in the world line up in his favor and this team is a rudder less ship.  The GM is not the coaches boss and cannot fire the coach.  The guy in control is a newbie who will listen to outside forces that will all bleat like sheep that bowels is a good coach and just has a bad roster.

Woody has probably told his little brother than the team is in rebuild mode and they have to stay the course with the coaches and GMs.

Not only will he be here next year, probably the year after as well.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Can we change that to Chris spite-tapping sexy interns all over Woody's prized mahogany desk? 

Have you seen the guy? Come on. You know, and I know, there is no sex being had in Woody Johnson's office.

People seem to continually ignore what Woody has said regarding 2017/18. Carry on

"Really the way I want to be judged this year hopefully from the fans' standpoint is watch how we improve during the year and look at how each individual on the team and see how they're getting better," he said. "If they're getting better, that's a mark of progress. That's what we're looking for."

Looking back at years past, Johnson acknowledged attempting to find the quick fix via trades and/or through pro free agency.

"I think what we have done over the years is traded picks away and we've had too big of an emphasis on free agency and not enough emphasis on developing our own," he said. "Your own guy you train from day one and that's going to be a guy that understands what you're trying to accomplish. I think you're better off with a homegrown guy."

Last weekend, GM Mike Maccagnan made five trades in all while stockpiling picks in the process. After starting with seven selections, Maccagnan drafted nine players and added the Cowboys' 2018 fifth-rounder.

"Well he was just following his board and we got a number of players that were still high on our board even after trading down and getting more picks," Johnson said. "This was all about numbers this year and maybe next year, too. We need numbers. We have a lot of areas we have to improve in."

Saying he thought the Draft went well, Johnson added the Jets selected a "couple of great safeties" in Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye. The DB duo along with the team's other seven selections are expected to be in Florham Park Thursday when players report for rookie minicamp.

"This is not for every team," Johnson said of the new direction. "But for us, it's getting our own guys, teaching them our culture and getting them going with the way we want to approach football in New York. This is a different type of deal, so it's tough. So you have to get the right guy."

http://m.newyorkjets.com/news/article-7/Woody-Johnson-Jets-Set-a-New-Course/cf4cf2ee-8480-4504-b2ab-7bf2b8caaaae

Team needs to look like a cohesive one, especially after last year. He got rid of the vets who ruined team chemistry. That excuse won't play by year's end this time.

Players and units have to look improved with signs of potential.

If special teams is a mess for third straight year. Thats one fireable check.

If the neither Hack or Petty show to at least be servicable (not saying franchise starter) but roster spot worthy, receivers looking lost on routes...Thats another fireable check.

And for the biggest and maybe final nail. If the defense is absolute sh*t, and Adams and Maye are non factors. Then thats it. 

He cant lose all 3 units. He can get away with special teams if the defense is good and the offense starts to look servicable by years end.

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

1-15 didn't get Hue Jackson fired.

itsmall about expectations.  When you look at a team that is predicted to be bottom of the league bad talent wise how do you blame the coach.  If they play hard and try he's safe as can be

Ehhhhh. I don't know. That was also his first year. 

To me, the defense has to be at least top 10 with improvements across the board. I don't wanna see miscommunications all over the place, balls being thrown over their heads constantly, etc etc. He's got his pieces, now make something of it. Zero excuses. 

Here's the thing. I think that Bowles had to have been sat down and told what the plan was and to get his buy in. Since we are essentially devoid of talent it would make sense that he was either told he was completely safe or that he would be graded on improvement and development and building team chemistry over the year not on wins and losses.

But Bowles is what he is. A veteran focused win now type of coach. There is no doubt in my mind that he fully planned on starting McClown for the entire season.

But that changed last Friday?

Why?

Was he TOLD to start either Petty or Hack?

Did he realize that McClown sucks too so he is rushing to choose between Hack and Petty?

Is he just putting on a show to try and justify playing McClown?

If he does start Hack or Petty I will give him props.

But I doubt it. If we truly tank this year and show no marked improvement (which if we start McClown is likely) than I think nothing saves Bowles and Mac.

I honestly cannot think of a great or even really good move that Mac has done either, and Leonard doesn't count.

His drafts have been weak to bad

He gave ridiculous unnecessary contracts to Fitzsucks and now Fitzsucks 2.0 in McClown

He screwed the pooch in a big way with the Snacks/Wilk situation

He has completely and utterly ignored the offense, especially from a OL, playmake and QB standpoint, and TE...wait that's the entire offense.

Even of pro bowlers drafting Adams and Maye for this team is idiotic. We could have had a very good QB prospect and another offensive playmaker and had a chance on offernse this year. But no, let's completely ignore the OL, not draft any elite offensive talent and try to bridge the gap with mid round talent. Dallas has like 8 first rounders on offense. Maybe we dont need that many but our drafts should be way more balanced.

So no confidence in Bowles to do right thing, and Mac is very suspect. Fire them now is what I would do. 

Archived