Sign in to follow this  
C Mart

Training Camp Practice 8/24

15 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

I think they're just giving Hack and Petty a bunch or reps for one last major evaluation before deciding on a starter. It wont surprise me if they get all the first team reps on Saturday. 

They're probably leaning towards going with McCown for week 1 but want to give the younger guys a clear opportunity against starters as well as some experience in general. They're just looking for an excuse to start one of them. 

Starting McCown is one of the worst decisions ever in the history of the NY Jets.  Aren't we rebuilding/tanking?  A 38 year old bum QB....here we go again.

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Just now, joewilly12 said:

Starting McCown is one of the worst decision ever in the history of the NY Jets.  Aren't we rebuilding/tanking?  

The team is rebuilding, yes. All things equal one of the two younger QB's should be out there for better or worse as long as they have a pulse when up against starting caliber players. 

If they look inept through and through and show no value on the field whatsoever it would probably be a disservice to the other young developing parts of the team to not start the veteran McCown while they get sorted out. And while this second scenario is less than ideal for a number of reasons we at least have a more sure answer as whether or not one of those two can be OUR answer.

They have to consider quite a bit and I think they're just making good and sure if Hack or Petty can do this job right now. 

Amazing, we have 6 zillion first round picks on our D but we need to fear the Giants D.

unreal

Sad but true.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

The team is rebuilding, yes. All things equal one of the two younger QB's should be out there for better or worse as long as they have a pulse when up against starting caliber players. 

If they look inept through and through and show no value on the field whatsoever it would probably be a disservice to the other young developing parts of the team to not start the veteran McCown while they get sorted out. And while this second scenario is less than ideal for a number of reasons we at least have a more sure answer as whether or not one of those two can be OUR answer.

They have to consider quite a bit and I think they're just making good and sure if Hack or Petty can do this job right now. 

Why did they pass on Watson,Kizer,Mahomes in the draft if all along we needed a QB...

2 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Why did they pass on Watson,Kizer,Mahomes in the draft if all along we needed a QB...

The only logical answer is that Mac either wants one of our QBs to emerge, or he wants one of next year's QBs over any of those three. 

Following that logic then McKnown winning 3 or 4 of the first 5 games would be the last thing in the world that we would want to see happen. 

22 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Starting McCown is one of the worst decisions ever in the history of the NY Jets.  Aren't we rebuilding/tanking?  A 38 year old bum QB....here we go again.

Hackenberg was completely non-functional vs Detroit. If he cannot even get a first down  he shouldn't start.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

They drafted Adams because he was the best player available.

They took the measured route and made a safe and obvious pick with the higher valued prospect. 

1 hour ago, legler82 said:

What's stupid is the QB competition, itself, or the farce they are calling a QB competition.  If it was real competition Petty would have gotten a lot more 1st team reps than he did and McClown would have by default won it a long time ago.  They are trying to give Hack the job behind the guise of a QB competition.  It's what most of us fans want to happen anyway but the won't come out an say it.  Just like they won't admit they tanked the season.

I'm not sure there is a "they" anymore.  I'm getting a feeling that Mac and Bowles aren't on the same page as to who they want.  If I had to guess I'm thinking Macc wants to see if Hack can play, Bowles wants to march McCown out there to try and win 6 games.

2 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I'm not sure there is a "they" anymore.  I'm getting a feeling that Mac and Bowles aren't on the same page as to who they want.  If I had to guess I'm thinking Macc wants to see if Hack can play, Bowles wants to march McCown out there to try and win 6 games.

I don't see how or even why Bowles would want McCown to win him 5-6 games. That doesn't save his job. What would is if he and his coaching staff would fine able to turn either Hack or Petty into a bona fide starter.  

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

The Jets are not the only team whose HC and GM report to the owner equally .  Are you going to chew on that bone all season ?

LOL

What are you talking about?  IMO the bone is gone.  It seems that Bowles status  might have changed.  Your second point about trying to out do the Bills still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

IMO Bowles has one foot on the platform, and one on the train.  Something has clearly changed  in the QB non-competition.

To compare Bowles, and his standing as a HC, to Highly sought after HC's who were in a position to demand autonomy from powerful reputations, or Super Bowl wins is laughable.   

7 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

I don't see how or even why Bowles would want McCown to win him 5-6 games. That doesn't save his job. What would is if he and his coaching staff would fine able to turn either Hack or Petty into a bona fide starter.  

I agree.............But

If that were the plan, why would ONLY McCown get reps in practice with the one's until last week?   Now he gets NONE.  Has it suddenly dawned on Bowles that if Hack or Petty, who was only getting reps with the scout team, developed into a good QB, it would be good for him.

I'll admit I'm confused with what is going on.   I can't remember a QB competition going as weird as this one   Seemingly  neither have most of the scribes. 

Yes the best thing for every one would be for Hack/Petty to become a star.  Until very recently neither had any reps with the ones.  Now at the time when positions are usually sealed, they completely reverse course.  Most peculiar 

3 hours ago, flgreen said:

IMO that is the way it should have gone from the beginning.  

What has happened is Mccown,  for the greater part of camp,  was the only one getting ANY REPS with the 1's, then out of the blue, he gets 0.   Have never seen that before.  

Only conclusions I can draw is that something has changed behind the scenes that we have no knowledge of, or Bowles doesn't have a clue what he's doing............Or both

The change started after the Detroit game when McCown told press that he was told not to talk to them.

4 hours ago, slats said:

The big change is going from McCown getting the majority of first team reps and Petty getting barely any reps at all, to Petty getting first team reps and McCown getting no reps at all. They appear to be on a steady track with Hackenberg. I'm wondering now if they're timkering with the idea of making Petty the opening day starter, further protecting Hack but moving on from McCown. Odd timing for the change; the week of what is generally the dress rehearsal game of the preseason. 

[-o<

Please let this be TRUE!!!  Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, slats said:

The big change is going from McCown getting the majority of first team reps and Petty getting barely any reps at all, to Petty getting first team reps and McCown getting no reps at all. They appear to be on a steady track with Hackenberg. I'm wondering now if they're timkering with the idea of making Petty the opening day starter, further protecting Hack but moving on from McCown. Odd timing for the change; the week of what is generally the dress rehearsal game of the preseason. 

OK

This is as good a theory as I've heard.  It's just my opinion but, I have a hard time seeing Bowles suddenly doing a 180 on his own on that.  Got a feeling there was some arm twisting.  

1 hour ago, Tony MaC said:

They took the measured route and made a safe and obvious pick with the higher valued prospect. 

I agree to a certain extent.  But if any of those QBs develops into a top 12 QB, than Adams, even if he becomes the best safety in the league, would not be the BAP.  If a team doesn't have a QB, that is automatically the #1 priority.  

Our GMs can't keep saying how much they don't like any of the top QB prospects while running Fitz/McCown/Hack out to run the 32nd ranked offense.  That's drafting scared.  Afraid to miss on a first round pick while (prior to this year) drafting huge projects with high bust potential in the second round.

Morton probably showed Bowles McCowns W/L record over the past 3 years and then Bowles showed his famous blank look on his face and said "Oh Damn".

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

41 minutes ago, flgreen said:

I agree.............But

If that were the plan, why would ONLY McCown get reps in practice with the one's until last week?   Now he gets NONE.  Has it suddenly dawned on Bowles that if Hack or Petty, who was only getting reps with the scout team, developed into a good QB, it would be good for him.

I'll admit I'm confused with what is going on.   I can't remember a QB competition going as weird as this one   Seemingly  neither have most of the scribes. 

Yes the best thing for every one would be for Hack/Petty to become a star.  Until very recently neither had any reps with the ones.  Now at the time when positions are usually sealed, they completely reverse course.  Most peculiar 

What you mentioned about the McCown being the only one getting reps with the number one offence is not necessarily true. He's been getting more of the reps, this is true, but Hackenburg has been getting some reps and Petty a whole lot less.

We will know for certain if there is cracks inside the staff IF the coaches decision on Saturday's starting QB gets leaked tonight to the media.

54 minutes ago, flgreen said:

LOL

What are you talking about?  IMO the bone is gone.  It seems that Bowles status  might have changed.  Your second point about trying to out do the Bills still doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

IMO Bowles has one foot on the platform, and one on the train.  Something has clearly changed  in the QB non-competition.

To compare Bowles, and his standing as a HC, to Highly sought after HC's who were in a position to demand autonomy from powerful reputations, or Super Bowl wins is laughable.   

The only 1 making that assumption is you .  The Jets decided on a format that works for them and IMO, makes sense for the team . It's the Job of the GM to facilitate the type of player the HC wants that best enables him to do what he wishes . In the case of Morton, it's Bowes  job to tell Mac what Morton wants for his offense .

Mac Gets Bowes the players he wants and he did his job . In 3 years, mac has gotten 2 of the draft highest rated players and another that was a highly rated 1st  round player for his defense .  If the defense doesn't begin to look a quality unit, it's not the fault of thee GM who got his HC a 1st round pick at every level f the defense .  Mac can go to the owner and show him what he did . Bowles will then have to go to the owner and explain what he did with what he got .

You see a problem, but I see a system of checks and balances .  

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

The only logical answer is that Mac either wants one of our QBs to emerge, or he wants one of next year's QBs over any of those three. 

Following that logic then McKnown winning 3 or 4 of the first 5 games would be the last thing in the world that we would want to see happen. 

Next years QB's are all "what if" players show me another GM in the NFL that dismisses the current season and winning for the next season. There is none. Macc needs to go ASAP.

1 hour ago, Tony MaC said:

Understood and agree but the Jets needed a QB you know this, I know this, the NFL knows this, the entire world knows this and here we are today without a decent QB. 

hmmmm....not many camp notes in here....just theories about why McClown isnt getting reps? Maybe he has a case of the shyts and cant be trusted not to be....well....shatty out there. 

1 hour ago, Barkus said:

Hackenberg was completely non-functional vs Detroit. If he cannot even get a first down  he shouldn't start.

With that OL and the same playcalls does McCown get a first down against Det ??

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Exactly, that is what's been lacking from our coaching staff for a number of years now, the ability to coach and develop young talent. If Bowles and company get  this young roster to even show a semblance or competence , its a major step forward over the plug a vet approach that's been the teams mo.

23 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Next years QB's are all "what if" players show me another GM in the NFL that dismisses the current season and winning for the next season. There is none. Macc needs to go ASAP.

If next year's QB's are what if's what the hell were this year's QB's . Watson , Trubisky, Kiser and probably even Mahomes would be rated no higher than #4 with next's years QB class. 

20 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Well both TB and Ten tanked in order to draft Winston and Mariota.  Sure, they gut their roster like the Jets did, but down the stretch they purposely lost games.

And this year with what ever the he'll the Jets are doing, you can add Buffalo, possibly Indy and Balt.  SF and Cle didn't concretely answer their long term QB question and skipped drafted any of the first rounders.

So I think there is a ton of interest in Darnold, Rudolph, and potentially Rosen, Falk, Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Mayfield.

5 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If next year's QB's are what if's what the hell were this year's QB's . Watson , Trubisky, Kiser and probably even Mahomes would be rated no higher than #4 with next's years QB class. 

3 minutes ago, Pcola said:

Well both TB and Ten tanked in order to draft Winston and Mariota.  Sure, they gut their roster like the Jets did, but down the stretch they purposely lost games.

And this year with what ever the he'll the Jets are doing, you can add Buffalo, possibly Indy and Balt.  SF and Cle didn't concretely answer their long term QB question and skipped drafted any of the first rounders.

So I think there is a ton of interest in Darnold, Rudolph, and potentially Rosen, Falk, Allen, Lamar Jackson, and Mayfield.

There's always next year is the NY Jets motto it keeps us going. 

40 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

The only 1 making that assumption is you .  The Jets decided on a format that works for them and IMO, makes sense for the team . It's the Job of the GM to facilitate the type of player the HC wants that best enables him to do what he wishes . In the case of Morton, it's Bowes  job to tell Mac what Morton wants for his offense .

Mac Gets Bowes the players he wants and he did his job . In 3 years, mac has gotten 2 of the draft highest rated players and another that was a highly rated 1st  round player for his defense .  If the defense doesn't begin to look a quality unit, it's not the fault of thee GM who got his HC a 1st round pick at every level f the defense .  Mac can go to the owner and show him what he did . Bowles will then have to go to the owner and explain what he did with what he got .

You see a problem, but I see a system of checks and balances .  

Here's the problem with that. If you have a really strong defensive mind as coach, doesn't it make sense to have more talent on the other side?