Bowles Handling of Jets QB’s; Brilliant or Baffling?

JetNation

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, KRL said:

The only way you can find out about Hackenberg is by putting him into live situations.  It's moronic to focus
on a journeyman QB who we know isn't the answer (maybe the team learned from last year).  A young QB can't 
develop if the team throws their plans in the garbage if he struggles for a game or more.  One of the main
goals for this season is to determine if Hackenberg can be "the man", if not we move onto the 2018 draft.
But one thing all fans better realize is ANY QB they draft (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson) is going
to have the same growing pains that Hackenberg is going through   

What you mean if we are fortunate enough to draft D'Arnold and he has 1 bad PS game behind a hideous OL, the posters here cannot label him "he cannot play at this level" or call him a waste or a bust and call for the new GM's head in August? Darn...

I give Bowles credit for nothing until he earns that credit by showing us something he does well as a HC. Right now as a HC in the NFL, he is a zero. Whether or not that changes remains to be seen, but I would not bet on that if I were a betting man.

33 minutes ago, JiF said:

Don't let this silly game they are playing fool you.  McCown will be the starter.

I agree.  McCown will be the starter, but if Bowles isn't giving one of the kids a shot to take the job, why do what he's doing?  Unless he's trying to get fired, you don't give your starter no reps for a couple of weeks leading up to the season when a slow start by the offense will be a huge nail in his coffin.

He basically can't win in the eyes of some fans.  If McCown gets too many reps, it's a rigged competition.  McCown goes from most of the reps to zero reps, and it's still a rigged competition.

We can want a 1-15 season for the top pick all we like, but the HC and the players are going to try to win football games.  A tank has to happen by way  of a GM giving a HC nothing to work with as Idzik did with Rex years ago.  Perhaps McCown is so far ahead of Hack and Petty that Bowles has ended the competition and wants to keep him on ice, but what does he do if Hack and/or Petty light it up on Saturday night?

Rule of thumb is that guys who don't practice by Wed. don't play in the game.  If Bowles sticks with that, and with the philosophy of starting QB getting no reps in final pre-season game, McCown will have throw 4 passes in the entire pre-season.

5 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Has the team named a starter for tomorrow night as yet?

Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty have been splitting first-team reps in this week's practices.

Coach Todd Bowles has yet to name a starter for Saturday's regular season dress rehearsal, but it's conceivable he'll go with Hackenberg over presumed Week 1 starter Josh McCown. Gang Green has grown desperate to prove Hack offers something, anything as an NFL quarterback. He's shown the exact opposite every time he's taken the field in the preseason over the past two years.

5 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty have been splitting first-team reps in this week's practices.

Coach Todd Bowles has yet to name a starter for Saturday's regular season dress rehearsal, but it's conceivable he'll go with Hackenberg over presumed Week 1 starter Josh McCown. Gang Green has grown desperate to prove Hack offers something, anything as an NFL quarterback. He's shown the exact opposite every time he's taken the field in the preseason over the past two years.

Oh goody , more rotoworld drivel.

1 hour ago, C Mart said:

Regarding the recent lack of McCown's playing time:

Peter King‏  @SI_PeterKing  

JACKSONVILLE-Saw what might be the only Cam series (a damn efficient one) between Jan 1 and opening day tonight. No Panther seems concerned.

Is Jax installing a new offense with all new coaches and players? Was Cam at least on the team last year? 

With the oline  and  wepinz on this  team, it doesn't  really matter 

But 

This is the last chance  to experiment  with the kids

Everybody knows what McCown is and he already  knows the offense

It ain't no mystery  fellas 

Shefter Podcast: Scot McCloughan, Former Redskins GM

14 minute mark he discusses Hack. Thought he'd be alittle further along by now. But gives him 70% chance of succeeding in NFL..Acknowledges he went down last 2 yrs in college (doesn't know why). But said he was special after his Freshman yr at a Div 1 big time program..He still feels strongly about him and has no problem with him being on a NFL roster competing for a starting job "it's in him".

Ranks Wentz as best young QB..Said Seattle GM Schneider & himself wanted to take Dalton but coaches didn't like him. So next yr they liked RWilson, coaches still weren't sold on him but Carroll eventually told Schneider to go ahead and take him "we'll make it work"  

2018 QB draft class - "at least 5 1st round talents"..."3 going in top 10" 

Darnold playing in pro style O....Wyoming HC (who was Wentz coach) asked Scot to watch film of Allen and let him know what he thinks..He went Wow! He could be better than Wentz

http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=20432407

59 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I agree.  McCown will be the starter, but if Bowles isn't giving one of the kids a shot to take the job, why do what he's doing?  Unless he's trying to get fired, you don't give your starter no reps for a couple of weeks leading up to the season when a slow start by the offense will be a huge nail in his coffin.

He basically can't win in the eyes of some fans.  If McCown gets too many reps, it's a rigged competition.  McCown goes from most of the reps to zero reps, and it's still a rigged competition.

We can want a 1-15 season for the top pick all we like, but the HC and the players are going to try to win football games.  A tank has to happen by way  of a GM giving a HC nothing to work with as Idzik did with Rex years ago.  Perhaps McCown is so far ahead of Hack and Petty that Bowles has ended the competition and wants to keep him on ice, but what does he do if Hack and/or Petty light it up on Saturday night?

The real problem here is that we have the Bills, Jags, Fish, and Browns in the first 5 games. Winning 3 or 4 of those will seriously raise expectations and destroy our chances at a top draft pick. 

If this is one of the kids winning games and gaining confidence in himself, from his teammates, and the fans then that could be a very good thing going forward.

If this is McKnown winning those games you will not be able to pull him later in the season, and if he gets hurt one of the kids will be crushed by the better teams later in the schedule making McNoone look even more like the better option than he does now. There will be serious pressure then to re sign him, and or fire everyone then re sign him. 

Really, starting him is a no win situation. The ripple effects will Sandusky us for years to come. 

5 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

The real problem here is that we have the Bills, Jags, Fish, and Browns in the first 5 games. Winning 3 or 4 of those will seriously raise expectations and destroy our chances at a top draft pick. 

If this is one of the kids winning games and gaining confidence in himself, from his teammates, and the fans then that could be a very good thing going forward.

If this is McKnown winning those games you will not be able to pull him later in the season, and if he gets hurt one of the kids will be crushed by the better teams later in the schedule making McNoone look even more like the better option than he does now. There will be serious pressure then to re sign him, and or fire everyone then re sign him. 

Really, starting him is a no win situation. The ripple effects will Sandusky us for years to come. 

You really think we can win some games early on with the offense that we've been shown the past 2 weeks?  We might get lucky (or unlucky depending on your attitude) later in the season against teams out of the playoff race but I have no doubt we go win-less the month of September.

14 minutes ago, peebag said:

You really think we can win some games early on with the offense that we've been shown the past 2 weeks?  We might get lucky (or unlucky depending on your attitude) later in the season against teams out of the playoff race but I have no doubt we go win-less the month of September.

Who knows maybe we have a secret Offensive Package where Sheldon Richardson gets to run the "wildcat". Seems like something Bowles would try. 

Seriously though I don't think we are going 0-16, 1-15, 2-14. Somehow, someway, we will win just enough games to be picking 8-12 range and not get a top QB prospect. Its what JETS teams do.

Just now, peebag said:

McKnown is a very streaky player and can definitely look like a top tier QB carving up lousy defenses. He knows where to go with the ball. It's good defenses that he physically cannot beat. It'll be Fitz part 2. Mark my words. We cannot under any circumstances let him play against any bad defenses or he will be hailed as "Broadway Josh" on all the back pages. Then he will become untouchable.

Our defense could also clean up against the horrible offenses we will face the beginning of the season while they're still not ready to play. 

19 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Whoever kicks the first FG in Jets/Jags wins that one 3-0.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

I don't think guys are hating on it, I can only speak for myself, but to me one of two things are happening, 1.  Todd Bowles got instructions from above to play Hack, or Petty no matter what, or 2.  Bowles is holding a pretend QB competition for the fans, media, and maybe even the front office even thou he already made up his mind he is starting McCown, but feels he needs to put on a song, and dance.  IF it was just him getting the young guys reps, and he had the backing of the front office to do what he pleases with the QB position this wouldn't be so secretive, and flat out unprecedented in it's handling, Bowles since year 1 up until the beginning of this training camp has always said he wants a starting QB in place for week 3 of the preseason, now come last Saturday McCown mysteriously gets no snaps (which I'm fine with, but I know sure as sh*t Bowles isn't), and then after the game he says he was told he can speak about it (McCown), something happened last Friday, and I'm sure when the first guy who is butt hurt by what happened last Friday realizes this team is officially failing, and they have no future here it will get leaked out to the media what actually happened last Friday.

i'm okay with hack and even petty getting in the games.  the jets need to know if either of these guys are in the future plans.  it's not like either guy can turn it on and off.  at this point we can only hope hack is showing more in practice than what he's showing in the games.  and the qb position is very mental.  he needs to be focused on the game above all.  he needs to show he can lead the team.  the throws will come.

3 hours ago, KRL said:

The only way you can find out about Hackenberg is by putting him into live situations.  It's moronic to focus
on a journeyman QB who we know isn't the answer (maybe the team learned from last year).  A young QB can't 
develop if the team throws their plans in the garbage if he struggles for a game or more.  One of the main
goals for this season is to determine if Hackenberg can be "the man", if not we move onto the 2018 draft.
But one thing all fans better realize is ANY QB they draft (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson) is going
to have the same growing pains that Hackenberg is going through   

Growing pains, yes.  But to say the same as Hack is absolutely unlikely.  Carson Wentz had some issues last year.  Jared Goff and Paxton Lynch, even Kessler had some growing pains.  But last year as rookies, they were a hell of a lot more prepared and ready than Hack is currently.

And Hack was the one who was supposed to be able to digest and comprehend a intricate NFL playbook.  

I mean he played an entire half against Detroit and completed one pass across the line of scrimmage.  

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Great article BTW. But if it was ANY other team doing what they are doing with the QBs, would anyone be thinking that McClown would be the starter? I don't. I would say it is more likely than not at this point that either Petty or Hack will start. If I was putting out percentages, I would say something like Petty 40% Hack 35% and McClown 25%.

I also think that there is an incredibly histrionic reaction to one bad game. Hack looked solid in first game. Entire offense looked clueless in the second. Hack was poor but the OL was at least as bad, and receivers were not getting open.

Every young QB will be very bad at times. But you have to let them work through it. I am still very optimistic about both Hack and Petty.

In terms of what scenario I believe, based on the reports that McClown would get extended playing time, I think that either Bowles was directed to start either Hack or Petty (most likely) or McClown is injured.

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Great article BTW. But if it was ANY other team doing what they are doing with the QBs, would anyone be thinking that McClown would be the starter? I don't. I would say it is more likely than not at this point that either Petty or Hack will start. If I was putting out percentages, I would say something like Petty 40% Hack 35% and McClown 25%.

I also think that there is an incredibly histrionic reaction to one bad game. Hack looked solid in first game. Entire offense looked clueless in the second. Hack was poor but the OL was at least as bad, and receivers were not getting open.

Every young QB will be very bad at times. But you have to let them work through it. I am still very optimistic about both Hack and Petty.

In terms of what scenario I believe, based on the reports that McClown would get extended playing time, I think that either Bowles was directed to start either Hack or Petty (most likely) or McClown is injured.

Thanks...glad you liked it.

As far as what Bowles is doing, none of us know, but my hope is that he's said to Hack and Petty that McCwon is the starting QB, and if they have a problem with it, do something about it.

19 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

McKnown is a very streaky player and can definitely look like a top tier QB carving up lousy defenses. He knows where to go with the ball. It's good defenses that he physically cannot beat. It'll be Fitz part 2. Mark my words. We cannot under any circumstances let him play against any bad defenses or he will be hailed as "Broadway Josh" on all the back pages. Then he will become untouchable.

Our defense could also clean up against the horrible offenses we will face the beginning of the season while they're still not ready to play. 

He really is remarkably similar to Fitz in so many ways. Starting McClown is a disaster. If that was Bowles plan, then Mac or a Jonson HAS to intervene. It does not fit what this team is doing at all.

Where I will differ is I am not convinced, even with the performance last week he is better than Petty or Hack.

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

I will give Bowles this much: he had nothing to do with drafting Hackenberg or Petty, so in that way he's been hamstrung. Falling in love with Fitz was dumb, but given how brutal Hackenberg has shown himself to be, you can't entirely kill Bowles for it in retrospect. 

The way the Jets have handled this ENTIRE QB situation has been baffling. Does ANYONE think McCown is any better than Fitzpatrick? Plus, what little Hackenberg has shown tells me the Jets either don't know how to develop a QB or he plain sucks. Petty looks like a career journeyman backup type and Hack doesn't even look that good.

You guys that want hack to start, you've seen him play, right?

How do you sell him to the veterans  risking their brains to play?

The key for  the jets this season is to get the #1 pick without looking like a sh*t show

McCown gives you that

Starting hack over  McCown week 1 puts the jets into a special kind  of hell where the top college QBS get asked  every week, "are you going to risk getting drafted by the jets, lol, or stay in school?"

Let's not be dumb

3 hours ago, JiF said:

There is no doubt this is a fake competition.  Just like every camp battle under Todd.  The Vets win no matter what and the best players don't play.  Todd is a fraud. 

McCown is the starter BECAUSE the best players will play.  Which is sad.

20 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

He really is remarkably similar to Fitz in so many ways. Starting McClown is a disaster. If that was Bowles plan, then Mac or a Jonson HAS to intervene. It does not fit what this team is doing at all.

Where I will differ is I am not convinced, even with the performance last week he is better than Petty or Hack.

Well he isn't better really. what he is is better against bad defenses. He knows where to put the ball and if he can get it there he can look very impressive at times. 

The problem is that he cannot get the ball there against good corners. That doesn't mean that he won't get people's hopes up and ruin our chance at drafting a top QB next year.

If we had a tough schedule to start the year and it got easier as the year went on then starting Josh might be a good idea, then put in one of the kids later. As it is I'm afraid we could win some games or at least look competitive early in the year then put in the kids after Josh gets hurt and they look horrible in comparison because the schedule just got much tougher. 

Then we could be left with the same situation we had last summer trying to court Josh freakin McCown and signing FAs to make a run at the playoffs. That's my nightmare scenario. 

4 hours ago, KRL said:

But one thing all fans better realize is ANY QB they draft (Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Jackson) is going to have the same growing pains that Hackenberg is going through

So, it is your take that all four of those QBs will not be allowed to even dress year 1, and then (as it seems today) be unable to beat out a 38-year-old veteran who's won 11 games in 11 seasons in their second year?  That all four's signature performance will be a preseason game where they go 18-25 with no points, and 14 of those 18 game within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage?  Those same "growing pains?"

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Part of me wonders if Bowles is "desperate" to prove Hack offers nothing, so that everyone will shut up about him already.

36 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

The way the Jets have handled this ENTIRE QB situation has been baffling. Does ANYONE think McCown is any better than Fitzpatrick? Plus, what little Hackenberg has shown tells me the Jets either don't know how to develop a QB or he plain sucks. Petty looks like a career journeyman backup type and Hack doesn't even look that good.

Mad man theory.

What we are doing is so crazy and volatile there must be some deeper reasoning behind it!

Archived