JETS --GIANTS Official Pre-Season Game Thread

joewilly12

Two veteran Jets on the injury bubble for tonight's 49th annual Jets-Giants preseason game at MetLife Stadium will not be playing. One Jet who had been injured and not practicing until this past week is dressing and will be one of the game captains.

Head coach Todd Bowles has said that CB Morris Claiborne (shoulder) and LB Lorenzo Mauldin (back) both will not dress for the Giants. Both were gametime decisions. 

Five other players aren't dressing for the Giants: WR/KR Lucky Whitehead, S Rontez Miles, TE Jordan Leggett, TE Jason Vander Laan and WR Quincy Enunwa. 

Matt Forté is dressing, and for the first time, the Jets will have Forté and Bilal Powellavailable together for duty in the offensive backfield. Powell came back from his neck strain to play at Detroit last Saturday and Forté returned from his hamstring pull to practice this past week. 

In fact, Bowles has named Forté as one of his game captains, along with C Wes Johnson and LBs Darron Lee and Jordan Jenkins. 

Of high interest to Green & White fans is who will start at quarterback tonight and what the rotation will be. But an hour and a half before kickoff shortly after 7 p.m. ET, there is no announcement about how Bowles and coordinator John Morton will deploy Josh McCown, Christian Hackenberg and Bryce Petty. 

The Jets will be wearing their white jerseys and white pants, their normal road uniform configuration under head coach Todd Bowles. In their first five preseason away games under Bowles, all in white/white, they were 2-3, including last week's 16-6 loss to the Lions. 

Brad Allen is tonight's referee. He presided over last year's preseason opener against the Jaguars and has also refereed four Jets regular-season games since 2014.

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, AFJF said:

That's why I thought the Manish story had some legs.  Wouldn't be shocked if the finger-pointing started early.

Noooooooooo question. And why not? Granted, these dudes knew what they were getting into when they signed on here, but I don't think any of them knew just how bleak it was going to get. 

I like all the intrigue like if the Giants don't know which terrible QB to prepare for...the Jets might have an advantage.

Also, everyone getting excited about McCown not starting is going to be disappointing. This is conservative to the max Bowles. It would make perfect sense to him to not have him play in pre-season to protect him from getting injured so he can lose games in the regular season.

13 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think it's more than likely not the HC's decision, though. If McCown's not hurt, it seems they're not playing him or letting him practice because they don't want the rest of the team to revolt when they name Hackenberg the starter. Like throwing a tarp over the pretty sister so you can marry off the fatty. 

Mac got rid of every veteran leader on the team, and the only rational explanation is to avoid just such a revolt from happening. 

If we start McCown then there is no rational. Mac needs to have learned from getting Royally Fitzed last year or we're in for 7 more years of Winter.

If marrying the fat sister means we stabilize the kingdom then marry the damn fat sister, otherwise were going to see a Red Wedding around here in the near future. 

9 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Mac got rid of every veteran leader on the team, and the only rational explanation is to avoid just such a revolt from happening. 

If we start McCown then there is no rational. Mac needs to have learned from getting Royally Fitzed last year or we're in for 7 more years of Winter.

If marrying the fat sister means we stabilize the kingdom then marry the damn fat sister, otherwise were going to see a Red Wedding around here in the near future. 

1. Roll with the fat sister.

2. Red Wedding happens anyway.

3. Hire Korn Ferry.

4. Ace Korn Ferry superagent Melisandre reanimates murdered Red Wedding attendees to resume working for Jets.

5. Fans left to wait for sweet release of death at hands of Night King.

Why are people mad that the Jets don't want McCown to start? When all offseason everyone complained that starting McCown was a bad move?

Let him be a backup. Start Hackenberg and sink or swim. You either have a franchise QB or if he fails Petty gets a look. If they both are terrible you will have a nice draft pick next year. Seems like a great strategy to me in a rebuilding year.

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

1. Roll with the fat sister.

2. Red Wedding happens anyway.

3. Hire Korn Ferry.

4. Ace Korn Ferry superagent Melisandre reanimates murdered Red Wedding attendees to resume working for Jets.

5. Fans left to wait for sweet release of death at hands of Night King.

Or Hackenburg and McCown kill eachother. The team revolts and kills Bryce Snow. Bryce gets reanimated, decapitates the traitors and becomes King in the North. Maybe he gets some hot chick with dragons...couldn't hurt. 

Just now, Maxman said:

Why are people mad that the Jets don't want McCown to start? When all offseason everyone complained that starting McCown was a bad move?

Let him be a backup. Start Hackenberg and sink or swim. You either have a franchise QB or if he fails Petty gets a look. If they both are terrible you will have a nice draft pick next year. Seems like a great strategy to me in a rebuilding year.

Haven't read every response so not sure how many people are mad that he's not starting.  Personally, I think it's awesome if they go with Petty or Hack.

I'm just expecting Bowles to sit McCown for a month and then name him the starter, which would be crazy.

Just now, AFJF said:

Haven't read every response so not sure how many people are mad that he's not starting.  Personally, I think it's awesome if they go with Petty or Hack.

I'm just expecting Bowles to sit McCown for a month and then name him the starter, which would be crazy.

I agree, that would be insanity. I am okay if they play both kids tonight and name the one that plays better the starter. 

Playing McCown doesn't make sense to me.

3 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Or Hackenburg and McCown kill eachother. The team revolts and kills Bryce Snow. Bryce gets reanimated, decapitates the traitors and becomes King of the North. Maybe he gets some hot chick with dragons...couldn't hurt. 

That is a very real possibility. Thanks for taking the time to type it all out lol.

Just now, AFJF said:

He very well might from what we've seen from him in the past.

If that happens then I should hope to read that coach Bowles is stepping down and Interim coach Morton will be holding a press conference in the AM.

Archived