JETS --GIANTS Official Pre-Season Game Thread

joewilly12

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

Serious for a moment, has anyone seen Jet Nut? Did he survive this?

I know Nut personally.  I know you two don't get along well but he has much more important things going on right now other than the Jets.  

• Replies 719
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, nycdan said:

This breaks my heart a little.  I've been busting all preseason to see him get a chance to play real football.  Finally gets his shot.  Lights it up apparently.  Gets hurt in the late 4th quarter so we can...wait for it...win the god-damned Snoopy Bowl.  Sounds like he should have come out once he showed enough but once again, our HC overreached.  Do I have that about right?

Hindsight is 20-20

2 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

If we had another QB we probably would have put him in.

Well we actually have two other QBs.  I guess the question is, did you all have a solid sense before that last drive that Petty was the guy who should be starting?  If so, then were you thinking "why is he still in there in the 4th quarter against burger flippers?"  I wasn't watching live so I can't judge but I am curious.

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

My son started playing Madden last year. He called a te shallow cross. After the play he gives me this deadpan stare

Lol

I get who cares it's preseason if it didn't fit this HC's MO to such a T. Seriously can't wait for 1-15 and this guy gone. 

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

somebody on Twitter said it. But for the second preseason in a row Petty seemed to figure out which one of his players were just better and then he showcased them. Hansen and Stewart abused the secondary depth of the Giants.

He spread it around this year. Hit Powell, and Gragg a bunch of times too. Even hit Marshall for a good gain.

Stewart looked a lot better than Hansen to me btw. 

2 minutes ago, C Mart said:

LMAO. He's 26. 

Good lawd. 

I get what you're saying, but that is a little up there for a 3rd year guy.  Regardless, the egg shell label is looking like it fits.  This was, likely, his only shot to show Macc (or whoever is our GM next year) that he can be the guy.

Realistically, we're all but guaranteed to be picking QB next year.

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I know Nut personally.  I know you two don't get along well but he has much more important things going on right now than the Jets.  

In truth Thanks for letting us know that.  Jet Nut is one of my favorites out here..

Please send him our best.......

9 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

Yeah he did. Composed, in charge, and aware.

Especially like the way he reacted to broken plays kept his composure and hit the open man. Even changed his arm angle certain times to make a throwing lane.

Loved the ball placement on screens, and check downs that always seemed to gain extra yards including one long TD by Powell. Also kept receivers from getting slammed.

All things that Hack did the the exact opposite. 

Vs backup D Petty looked real good. Game is slower vs Backups. Would Petty have looked that good in the 1st half against Giants 1s?  Unfortunately we don't know. Hack's last drive vs those backups he looked a lot better than the 1st half

Vs starting Ds the game is too fast for Hack right now. Will it slow down in time? 

1 minute ago, C Mart said:

Vs backup D Petty looked real good. Game is slower vs Backups. Would Petty have looked that good in the 1st half against Giants 1s?  Unfortunately we don't know. Hack's last drive vs those backups he looked a lot better than the 1st half

Vs starting Ds the game is too fast for Hack right now. Will it slow down in time? 

Which is why Petty should have started today. I'm okay with the way Bowles handled the QBs this preseason except that Petty needed to play against the Giants first team defense. He's clearly better than the backups he plays against.

6 minutes ago, C Mart said:

No we don't know how Petty would have done but he did almost all he could with his opportunity.

Hack had more time against the reserves, and his receivers were more open but he still did not look composed. He still was off on his placement, and got receivers slammed.

His stats were good, but they should have been much better. Petty was the same last year. I'm not saying he will not get better but he isn't nearly as far along as Petty is.

He also continued to ignore free rushers, and his mechanics have completely deteriorated since the first game.  

1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Which is why Petty should have started today. I'm okay with the way Bowles handled the QBs this preseason except that Petty needed to play against the Giants first team defense. He's clearly better than the backups he plays against.

So now we come to it.  If Petty is healthy next week, who does Bowles start?  Him or McCown.  If it's McCown, we will know that there was never a competition and I will lead the 'Fire Bowles' charge.  If it's Petty, and he flops, we are truly doomed this season, but that's probably fine.  If Petty can't play, then there's really no other option and McCown it is.

Part of me has been hoping Petty would be better than anyone expected and be a legit starter.  I can't even figure out why, but I'm really, really hoping we get to see him start next week.  For his sake and ours.  

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

So now we come to it.  If Petty is healthy next week, who does Bowles start?  Him or McCown.  If it's McCown, we will know that there was never a competition and I will lead the 'Fire Bowles' charge.  If it's Petty, and he flops, we are truly doomed this season, but that's probably fine.  If Petty can't play, then there's really no other option and McCown it is.

Part of me has been hoping Petty would be better than anyone expected and be a legit starter.  I can't even figure out why, but I'm really, really hoping we get to see him start next week.  For his sake and ours.  

Petty is hyper likeable, athletic and his throws are pretty. He looks the part and acts the part. He might not be more than a backup in the NFL but he's currently better than Hack.

1 minute ago, The Crusher said:

Hi guys. its me Crusher. Every game thread this year is going to be a gigantic carbuncle of dissapointmemt and dread. Literally like having your nuts shaved with pepper spray and a rusty razor. Yet... still Jetnation still NO personal attacks. Thank you 

+5 for proper use of "carbuncle"

8 minutes ago, NYs Stepchild said:

No we don't know how Petty would have done but he did almost all he could with his opportunity.

Hack had more time against the reserves, and his receivers were more open but he still did not look composed. He still was off on his placement, and got receivers slammed.

His stats were good, but they should have been much better. Petty was the same last year. I'm not saying he will not get better but he isn't nearly as far along as Petty is.

He also continued to ignore free rushers, and his mechanics have completely deteriorated since the first game.  

He's nowhere near a finished product. First game there were more 3 step drops. IMO the game needs to slow down for him. If it does maybe he develops. If it doesn't then he'll be a Kellen Clemens, Matt Moore, Chad Henne. 

3 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think if Petty faced starting defensive players the pressure upon him would have been so immense that he would have disintegrated into ions so factor that in when making up your "grades" heathen scum

Or maybe the incredible pressure would transform him into a living diamond, able to throw 80-yard laser beams that curve around defenders and dock firmly in the hands of his inexperienced, yet determined WRs. 

I hope we get to find out next week, on As the World Burns.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

What u SOJFs don't understand about FOITBALL is that Hackenberg has had to play every snap against the steel curtain and he's essentially a ROOKIE while Bruce Petty has had the good fortune to only play against the NAIA WEST TEXAS COMMUNITY COLLEGE STAMPEDERS

Remember wehn he exposed the scandal at Pennstate? Lwts see Deshawn Watson do that

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Was watching with my brother. I told him before the second half started, "the OL will magically remember how to block and the receivers will magically remember how to run routes as soon as C-Blaize hits the bench."

He responded, "who's C-Blaize"?

What is your brothers username

18 minutes ago, C Mart said:

He's nowhere near a finished product. First game there were more 3 step drops. IMO the game needs to slow down for him. If it does maybe he develops. If it doesn't then he'll be a Kellen Clemens, Matt Moore, Chad Henne. 

I'm just talking about setting his feet and stepping into throws. When he does that his ball is very accurate on a rope, and his deep sideline throws drop in like rainbows. 

When he doesn't his lasers fly over receivers heads, his dump offs flutter to their feet, and his sideline throws go out of bounds. I've been paying attention and I haven't seen him step into any throws since that first hit last week. 

Dennis Waszak Jr. (@DWAZ73)

8/26/17, 11:31 PM

Petty on knee: "It kind of felt weird, it felt loose, which is not something you want to feel as an athlete." #Jets

Petty tried to jog and take steps on sideline, but "It's just not stable. It's not stable. Unfortunate." #Jets

With Petty's knee situation, you'd have to think #Jets will have to sign another QB for Thurs night. Had McLeod Bethel-Thompson in minicamp

6 minutes ago, Larz said:

MCL

I was holding out hope for meniscus, which I partially tore when I played, but that feels tight immediately after.  Whole knee locked up.  Loose means a ligament for sure.

Archived