Game Observations (NYG)

KRL

One word that may never be associated with the QB position is "clarity" and
last night's game continues that trend:

- Christian Hackenberg was awful showing no pocket awareness, locking onto
receivers and leading the offense to 16 NYG points.  And what's more disturbing
is how quickly his weaknesses are already getting around the league.  He doesn't
recognize pressure and where to go with the ball and DC's are abusing him with
blitz packages.  It's nice he got a last minute TD to narrow the score but it
came against #2's and #3's so it really doesn't count

- Bryce Petty was excellent in the second half but it came against #2's and #3's
so you have to grade him on a curve.  What I will say is he deserves consideration
for the starting spot more than Hackenberg.  Rallying the team from a 29-3 deficit
was impressive no matter who you're playing against.  But of course he gets hurt on
the final drive which just adds to the QB confusion

- With the proper RB rotation in place (Matt Forte, Bilal Powell & Elijah McGuire)
it was good to see the running game more effective

- Excellent games from Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen at the WR position

- Defensively the #1 unit gave up 13 points while also getting an INT from Juston
Burris.  It should have been better with no Odell Beckham & Brandon Marshall but
it was ok

19 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Hackenberg is very slow and deliberate going from read to read leading to late passes. I don't get how he showed enough in practice to be allowed to waste the first half of the 2 most important preseason games. Very weird.

I am sure that it is Bowles doing everything he can to make sure that Mac and his controversial QB pick (Hack) gets a fair shake at the starting QB gig if not this year than next, no matter who we draft or acquire.   

13 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I am sure that it is Bowles doing everything he can to make sure that Mac and his controversial QB pick (Hack) gets a fair shake at the starting QB gig if not this year than next, no matter who we draft or acquire.   

I'm not sure if that was TB's motivation.  They knew what they had in him from watching him in practice the last two years.  Last week's game should have given them a clue that when defenses start going after him, it was going to be disasterous for both Hack and the Vets on this team.

Knowing TB from his time in the league and the last 2+ years he's been here someone who would prefer to have veterans in key roles on the team, there was a mandate to force Hack into a prominent role. 

Im not sure if it was a difference of opinion between GM and HC or GM/HC and owner but there is definitely two different factions at work here.  I'm sticking with the theory that Woody dictated the Hackenberg pick and because of how bad he is, showcasing him is the only chance Macc and Bowles have to show Woody how bad the pick was and how much heat they both have received and will receive because of Hack.  Thus getting them a free pass for this year.

Its the only way I can rationalize Woody's drastic change of philosophy.  And Macc can't be that bad to think Hack was going to be successful in this league and Bowles could not have seen McCown, Hack, and Petty in practice and thought Hack was deserving of being the starter, or even the back up.

Hopefully Sheldon keeps playing the way he has, maybe a trade market would develop for him again.

Very encouraging performance from Stewart.  I thought he was an underrated player at Alabama.  Hopefully he is rounding into form after missing time.

4 minutes ago, Pcola said:

I'm not sure if that was TB's motivation.  They knew what they had in him from watching him in practice the last two years.  Last week's game should have given them a clue that when defenses start going after him, it was going to be disasterous for both Hack and the Vets on this team.

Knowing TB from his time in the league and the last 2+ years he's been here someone who would prefer to have veterans in key roles on the team, there was a mandate to force Hack into a prominent role. 

Im not sure if it was a difference of opinion between GM and HC or GM/HC and owner but there is definitely two different factions at work here.  I'm sticking with the theory that Woody dictated the Hackenberg pick and because of how bad he is, showcasing him is the only chance Macc and Bowles have to show Woody how bad the pick was and how much heat they both have received and will receive because of Hack.  Thus getting them a free pass for this year.

Its the only way I can rationalize Woody's drastic change of philosophy.  And Macc can't be that bad to think Hack was going to be successful in this league and Bowles could not have seen McCown, Hack, and Petty in practice and thought Hack was deserving of being the starter, or even the back up.

I think the direction changed when they got rid of decker and Harris, that should have alerted us that no matter what woody says about leaving mccags and Bowles alone, he was still dictating certain key decisions.  And then the qb rotation suddenly changes from Mccown getting most 1st team reps to the team not being able to even announce a starter for preseason games.  

Bottom line, woody said from the end of last season that hc and gm would be graded on player development.  So far they are both failing.  While it's easier to fault mccags for drafting duds, the coaching staff(s) must also take its share of the blame since you see marginal players around the league groomed to be more productive than even first round picks on this team.  Regardless of what is said during the year once the losing starts, mccags and Bowles are VERY much on the hot seat this season, and as the weeks go by and the local and national media bash the jets for an inability to develop players and field an nfl caliber team, woody will ultimately find someone outside the organization to advise him to fire the coach and gm again, and bring in someone to draft the qb with one of the top 3 picks and move forward.   At this point i think Bowles and mccags do not have enough player talent on this roster to save themselves.

4 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I think the direction changed when they got rid of decker and Harris, that should have alerted us that no matter what woody says about leaving mccags and Bowles alone, he was still dictating certain key decisions.  And then the qb rotation suddenly changes from Mccown getting most 1st team reps to the team not being able to even announce a starter for preseason games.  

Bottom line, woody said from the end of last season that hc and gm would be graded on player development.  So far they are both failing.  While it's easier to fault mccags for drafting duds, the coaching staff(s) must also take its share of the blame since you see marginal players around the league groomed to be more productive than even first round picks on this team.  Regardless of what is said during the year once the losing starts, mccags and Bowles are VERY much on the hot seat this season, and as the weeks go by and the local and national media bash the jets for an inability to develop players and field an nfl caliber team, woody will ultimately find someone outside the organization to advise him to fire the coach and gm again, and bring in someone to draft the qb with one of the top 3 picks and move forward.   At this point i think Bowles and mccags do not have enough player talent on this roster to save themselves.

It will be very interesting going forward.  When the team goes 0-16 or 2-14 and if nobody gets fired, that would indicate the issues with this team were because of a meddlesome owner.  But after the season if Macc and/or Bowles gets fired, we're going to hear what is the hell happened in the 2016 draft and this past offseason.

1 minute ago, Pcola said:

It will be very interesting going forward.  When the team goes 0-16 or 2-14 and if nobody gets fired, that would indicate the issues with this team were because of a meddlesome owner.  But after the season if Macc and/or Bowles gets fired, we're going to hear what is the hell happened in the 2016 draft and this past offseason.

It's not just the 2016 draft, it's a decade of not taking elite offensive talent, or being able to groom respectable offensive weapons or decent offensive linemen besides brick and mangold.  The gms have allowed the coaches to focus on one side of the ball which has put the team where it is now.

the fact that mccagnan thought that getting rid of revis and adding two talented safeties would essentially 'fix' the defense, and then first deal with the offense in the third round, is a fireable offense.  It's no wonder hackenberg is failing against the first team defenses.  The offense has no proven weapons, the line sucks, WRs do not get open, guys are missing assignments, and hack is still learning the offense.  There's no one out there who actually knows what he's doing.  And the 2nd pick 6 was on Anderson, he's got to hold onto that ball, it was well thrown.

59 minutes ago, Jetsbb said:

Hackenberg is very slow and deliberate going from read to read leading to late passes. I don't get how he showed enough in practice to be allowed to waste the first half of the 2 most important preseason games. Very weird.

For all intents and purposes he's a rookie. He got almost no snaps last year and he has a new offense this year. It's how rookies look starting for the 1st time against 1st string defenses . 

Let's look at the star rookie QB's from this years draft for comparison in this weeks action:

Mahomes :  8-15 70 yds 53.3% 0 Td 0 Int

Kizer        : 6-18  93 yds 33.3% 0 Td 1 Int

Watson    : 11-21 116 yds 52.4% 0 Td 1 Int

Hack       : 12-21  126 yds 57.1% 1 Td 2 Int

Take away the pick that was all on Anderson and Hack's stats are all better than the anointed Qb's we "passed' on in this years draft.

Its a learning curve , the more snaps Hack gets the better he will be, the game will slow down more. for him, but this fan base has no patience at all.   

I'd be more worried about our Oline at this point more so then the QBs. Constant pressure, miscommunications, tossed around like ragdolls. I hope they gel into something as time goes on because the guy we draft is gonna need more then this. 

Hack looked like a rookie, which is to say not good and not ready. He definitely didn't look as bad as some are saying. I never thought he'd actually look good this year, not with our woeful offense. He needs time, but that time should not stop us from upgrading the position next draft.

10 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

For all intents and purposes he's a rookie. He got almost no snaps last year and he has a new offense this year. It's how rookies look starting for the 1st time against 1st string defenses . 

Let's look at the star rookie QB's from this years draft for comparison in this weeks action:

Take away the pick that was all on Anderson and Hack's stats are all better than the anointed Qb's we "passed' on in this years draft.

Its a learning curve , the more snaps Hack gets the better he will be, the game will slow down more. for him, but this fan base has no patience at all.   

It's funny, but when Petty got injured, I was curious to see how Hackenberg would look playing against that backup defense . With under 2 minutes  he did what Petty was doing against a similar defense . Neither the Jets offensive Line or Hackenberg is ready for Prime time and that's evident . It's never good seeing someone get injured and I wanted to see what Petty would do in that 2 minute drill to end the game . When Petty got injured, I had the same curiosity about Hackenberg .  Thursday is going to be interesting because it's actually a return to the scene where many a Jet fan formed their current opinion of Christian Hackenberg .

The Jets are a complete joke. Their receivers are equivalent to 2nd and 3rd stringers on any other team in the NFL. Running backs are mediocre. Offensive line is inconsistent when not downright incompetent. Defense is serviceable but also shows lack of discipline and rawness -- missed tackles, poor coverage, even when they're in stride with the receiver. I could go on. Notice I haven't even mentioned the QB. Hack is way over his head at this point and not even close to ready for the pro's. Petty is decent, but lapses into rookie mistakes. McGown will be his journeyman self. The Jets are in for a world of hurt this year. I honestly can't see them winning anything, but sheer luck will award them a game or two. Just a dreadful team.

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

It's funny, but when Petty got injured, I was curious to see how Hackenberg would look playing against that backup defense . With under 2 minutes  he did what Petty was doing against a similar defense . Neither the Jets offensive Line or Hackenberg is ready for Prime time and that's evident . It's never good seeing someone get injured and I wanted to see what Petty would do in that 2 minute drill to end the game . When Petty got injured, I had the same curiosity about Hackenberg .  Thursday is going to be interesting because it's actually a return to the scene where many a Jet fan formed their current opinion of Christian Hackenberg .

Many Jet fans formed their opinion the minute he was drafted based solely on his stats in college. 

5 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

Hack looked like a rookie, which is to say not good and not ready. He definitely didn't look as bad as some are saying. I never thought he'd actually look good this year, not with our woeful offense. He needs time, but that time should not stop us from upgrading the position next draft.

I would actually leave him in as the starter and see if he sinks (gets Injured) or swims (figure it out )  I happen to think Hack is a better QB than Petty even thou the results show the opposite . The biggest difference right now is that Hackenberg is not making his decisions quickly enough .  He recognizes what he's looking at across the LOS, but everything is just 2 seconds slow . 

1 hour ago, Tinstar said:

I would actually leave him in as the starter and see if he sinks (gets Injured) or swims (figure it out )  I happen to think Hack is a better QB than Petty even thou the results show the opposite . The biggest difference right now is that Hackenberg is not making his decisions quickly enough .  He recognizes what he's looking at across the LOS, but everything is just 2 seconds slow . 

Agreed. Only thing to improve reaction time is experience in games. I was happy to see he battled bafk after being put back in. He didnt pout and crumble. He took them in for a  2:00 min td drive. I give him credit.

His pick 6 was AWFUL. He stared at wr for like 3 seconds. Looked like he was a high school kid. But I also saw John Elway throw the same pick 6 to Mo Lewis in '94

1 hour ago, 56mehl56 said:

I was thinking the same thing last night! They showed replays of the sacks & him being chased from the snap & im thinking, how in the hell do you evaluate a young QB in this league against starting defenses like the Giants if your own offensive line is GARBAGE!

Seriously! Did he miss some passes? Yes, he overthrough to a wide open TE. This idea that he's some finished product after red shirting last year is hilarious. We have 1 WR ( a 2nd year UDFA that gets open) and a bunch of neophytes & another TE that was unceremoniously cut after being found drunk in his car sitting in his own sh*t and you guys have thrown in the towel, lol.

This fan base really sucks & im not sitting here saying don't draft Darnold if we get the 1st pick, I'm just saying instant analysis is retarded. All I read on this site is how Macc has ignored the offense & how we don't have 1 player on offense that would start for any other franchise in this league but in spite of ALL THAT we can all judge the future career of a guy that just turned 22 years old learning on the fly running this ship wreck of an offense with what might be a bottom 5 offensive line.

As Charlie Brown says here...GOOD GRIEF!

1 hour ago, MDL_JET said:

I'd be more worried about our Oline at this point more so then the QBs. Constant pressure, miscommunications, tossed around like ragdolls. I hope they gel into something as time goes on because the guy we draft is gonna need more then this. 

I am hesitant to comment in the Bowles/McCagnan appreciation for the great job they are both doing thread that this is, but, I have to agree somewhat with this post. The OL is a disgrace and will rival the worst this franchise has put forth in it's history. No QB could survive what we have seen the past 3 weeks. Not even Fran Tarkenton who could run like the wind. Again, the safety and the first pummeling of Hack was not his fault.

4 hours ago, KRL said:

One word that may never be associated with the QB position is "clarity" and
last night's game continues that trend:

- Christian Hackenberg was awful showing no pocket awareness, locking onto
receivers and leading the offense to 16 NYG points.  And what's more disturbing
is how quickly his weaknesses are already getting around the league.  He doesn't
recognize pressure and where to go with the ball and DC's are abusing him with
blitz packages.  It's nice he got a last minute TD to narrow the score but it
came against #2's and #3's so it really doesn't count

- Bryce Petty was excellent in the second half but it came against #2's and #3's
so you have to grade him on a curve.  What I will say is he deserves consideration
for the starting spot more than Hackenberg.  Rallying the team from a 29-3 deficit
was impressive no matter who you're playing against.  But of course he gets hurt on
the final drive which just adds to the QB confusion

- With the proper RB rotation in place (Matt Forte, Bilal Powell & Elijah McGuire)
it was good to see the running game more effective

- Excellent games from Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen at the WR position

- Defensively the #1 unit gave up 13 points while also getting an INT from Juston
Burris.  It should have been better with no Odell Beckham & Brandon Marshall but
it was ok

I think the QB situation is crystal clear.  Bryce Petty, if healthy, should be the starting QB.  McCown is the backup.  Hack should be seeking employmemt in another line of work. What I have been saying all along btw...

What is so complicated?

4 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Many Jet fans formed their opinion the minute he was drafted based solely on his stats in college. 

while I agree with that, this fan base is fickle. After the Giant/Jet preseason game last yr, the mood on here changed drastically . Then the eagles game happened and Hackenberg got Buried so deep, he would need it would take Indiana Jones to dig him out .

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

while I agree with that, this fan base is fickle. After the Giant/Jet preseason game last yr, the mood on here changed drastically . Then the eagles game happened and Hackenberg got Buried so deep, he would need it would take Indiana Jones to dig him out .

Fickle - hahha . This fanbase could win the Mega ball lottery and complain about all they taxes they need to pay. 

Good-

-Petty at least seems like a capable backup with starter potential. He doesnt wet himself on the field. Just cant stay healthy

-Stewart and Hansen both look at least seviceable. Will get plenty of reps all year

- Bilal Powell is good. Maybe look to trade him for future picks, he's wasting time here

Bad-

-Hackenberg isnt an NFL Player

-Mo Wilkerson is a joke. His effort last night was embarrassing as he continues his FU to the organization after being paid. Lazy and fat.

-The two safeties were overrdrafted. They both look like JAGS. For reference, saw a bit if Peppers the past few weeks and he's everywhere, including special teams- which neither Adams or Maye do.

- We have no OLB's with any pass rushing ability

- OLine sucks.

- Bowles continues to punt in situations where he has no business punting

3 hours ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Hopefully Sheldon keeps playing the way he has, maybe a trade market would develop for him again.

Very encouraging performance from Stewart.  I thought he was an underrated player at Alabama.  Hopefully he is rounding into form after missing time.

Why does everyone want to trade Richardson.  This team has 2.5 good players, and he is one of them.

6 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Good-

-Petty at least seems like a capable backup with starter potential. He doesnt wet himself on the field. Just cant stay healthy

-Stewart and Hansen both look at least seviceable. Will get plenty of reps all year

- Bilal Powell is good. Maybe look to trade him for future picks, he's wasting time here

Bad-

-Hackenberg isnt an NFL Player

-Mo Wilkerson is a joke. His effort last night was embarrassing as he continues his FU to the organization after being paid. Lazy and fat.

-The two safeties were overrdrafted. They both look like JAGS. For reference, saw a bit if Peppers the past few weeks and he's everywhere, including special teams- which neither Adams or Maye do.

- We have no OLB's with any pass rushing ability

- OLine sucks.

- Bowles continues to punt in situations where he has no business punting

When the "best player in the draft" continues to fall to us at 6, maybe, rather than thinking about how lucky we are... we ought to ask, why?

3 minutes ago, gEYno said:

When the "best player in the draft" continues to fall to us at 6, maybe, rather than thinking about how lucky we are... we ought to ask, why?

The best players always fall to us. 

Dee Milliner,Vernon Gholston,Kyle Wilson,Quinton Coples all #1s who say hi. 

10 minutes ago, gEYno said:

He saw Mcshay's mock and just couldnt question the value there.

USATSI_10214957_158813650_lowres.jpg

One word that may never be associated with the QB position is “clarity” and last night’s game continues that trend:

– Christian Hackenberg was awful showing no pocket awareness, locking onto receivers and leading the offense to 16 NYG points.  And what’s more disturbing is how quickly his weaknesses are already getting around the league.  He doesn’t recognize pressure and where to go with the ball and DC’s are abusing him with blitz packages.  It’s nice he got a last minute TD to narrow the score but it came against #2’s and #3’s so it really doesn’t count.

– Bryce Petty was excellent in the second half but it came against #2’s and #3’s so you have to grade him on a curve.  What I will say is he deserves consideration for the starting spot more than Hackenberg.  Rallying the team from a 29-3 deficit was impressive no matter who you’re playing against.  But of course he gets hurt on the final drive which just adds to the QB confusion.

– With the proper RB rotation in place (Matt Forte, Bilal Powell & Elijah McGuire) it was good to see the running game more effective.

– Excellent games from Ardarius Stewart and Chad Hansen at the WR position.

– Defensively the #1 unit gave up 13 points while also getting an INT from Juston Burris.  It should have been better with no Odell Beckham & Brandon Marshall but it was ok.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
MIL-38hgcgM

Click here to read the full story...

2 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He saw Mcshay's mock and just couldnt question the value there.

Forget Adams. And all the obvious ones. I would like an answer as to how a team that hasn't had a pass rusher since John Abraham missed on Victor Beasley. And there will never be an answer more satisfactory than eh, Leonard Williams, ya know, had to do it. And that is bullsh*t.

Archived