Jets Trade S Ronald Martin for Long Snapper

JetsFanatic

2 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

But seriously, this might be the first step to trading Purdum and replacing him with somebody younger. My only hope is that the guy can be as consistent as Tanner has been for us, this is actually pretty important.

I think either Purdum is 100% gone (why would a team start up a LS competition in the last week of PS?) or they just want to keep him off the field so they brought in a body to take the risks against the Eagles.  

Trivia:  Purdum is the ONLY player on the roster who played in a playoff game in a Jets uniform.  When he is gone, no one will be left from the 2 AFCCGs in 2009 and 2010.  Just 7 years later.

2 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I think either Purdum is 100% gone (why would a team start up a LS competition in the last week of PS?) or they just want to keep him off the field so they brought in a body to take the risks against the Eagles.  

Trivia:  Purdum is the ONLY player on the roster who played in a playoff game in a Jets uniform.  When he is gone, no one will be left from the 2 AFCCGs in 2009 and 2010.  Just 7 years later.

He's the longest tenured player on the roster. Truly we're in a new era.

15 minutes ago, nycdan said:

7 years in an eternity in the NFL.

10 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

7 years in an eternity in the NFL.

For a specific player, yes, but for a team to not have a single player who was on the roster more than 6 years is unusual.  Here is a list I found going into last season (2016) of the longest-tenured player on each team.

2000: Patriots, Raiders

2003: Ravens, Chargers, Cowboys

2004: Giants, Cardinals, Lions, Steelers

2005: Dolphins, Panthers, Chiefs, Packers, Falcons

2006: Bills, Jets, Bengals, Jaguars, Eagles, Redskins, Saints, Vikings, Colts

2007: 49ers, Browns

2008: Texans, Seahawks

2009: Titans, Bears, Buccaneers

2010: Broncos, Rams

We may be jumping from 2006 to 2011.  Not sure about everyone else, but as you can see, that's pretty rare, with only two teams matching that span last year.

46 minutes ago, nycdan said:

The Jets made their second minor trade in his many days, acquiring long snapper Thomas Hennessey from the Colts. Look for him to compete against incumbent Tanner Purdum over the final week of the preseason. Purdum is the longest tenured Jet but he hasn't been as automatic as he was in the past. In fact, the Jets have auditioned free-agent long snappers in recent weeks. Back up safety Ronald Martin was dealt to the Colts.

Rich Cimini, ESPN Staff Writer

1 minute ago, Larz said:

Isn't there a new rule on cut downs this year?

Might explain the bottom of the roster trades

Don't want to deal with 31 other teams scrambling for all the cuts on the same day

yes. no longer cuts to 75.........only cut now is to 53

4 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Ah what does he know...

Scot Mccloughan‏ @MccloughanScot 

Long snapper

Magnus Bendixen @BendixenNFL

@MccloughanScot What is the most undervalued position in football in your opinion?

Would love to have McCloughan here. I am in my 38th year of season tix, and have never been more totally uninterested to watch this team in my life. The front office is destroying this team. It's a disgrace. 

Archived