Josh McCown named starter by Bowles.

Lupz27

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, kdels62 said:

Why couldn't he just name Petty the starter? It's a win-win situation. Jets fans get a young favorite to play, the vets like him and it looks earned. Easy decision that was botched.

He's not as good a player. That's what makes it an easy decision.

4 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Why couldn't he just name Petty the starter? It's a win-win situation. Jets fans get a young favorite to play, the vets like him and it looks earned. Easy decision that was botched.

Because 4 wins look better than 3 on his resume at the unemployment line.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

I thought Petty had a shot, but McCown was the favorite

He threw for 3 TDs, 0 INTs with a perfect QBR and got passed up for a guy who has a 30% winning percentage and has thrown 4 passes in preseason games.  How much of a shot did he have?

Just now, Bleedin Green said:

I'm more surprised that this decision was unexpected to some, than I am by it actually happening.

Odds are all three will be getting starts throughout this season.

Yeah, probably. 

I feel like the only downside to any of this is the fact that neither of the two younger QBs will get a full season to start, and I'm not sure they needed one for a full evaluation.

Just now, UnitedWhofans said:

Honestly, given Buffalo's QB situation, I think Petty could have won that game too

But that would at least be intriguing.  If Petty went 4-2 in the first 6 games and blew the tank, I'd be excited to see if he could keep it going.  If McCown goes 4-2 that would be abject failure.

10 minutes ago, MDL_JET said:

Whatever. Mccown just better not F up this tank job. 

If McCown starts to have one of his outlier good games that has the Jets on track to a possible win, that's when we see how committed they really are to tanking.  If they are really serious about this, it might suddenly be "coincidental" that Hack gets his first play of the regular season at the first moment the Jets have a lead in a game this season.

Archived