Sign in to follow this  
Lupz27

Josh McCown named starter by Bowles.

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
1 minute ago, johnnysd said:

Geez do people really not get it? We are rebuilding. As part of that rebuild you evaluate the QBs on the roster. Evaluating the QBs requires REGULAR SEASON game play. 16 games of it. Evaluating your QBs does NOT consist of a sham competition. a lot of reps in practice for 8 days, and then play the veteran. It requires patience, teaching, coaching and placing GREATER value on the future of this franchise over winning the next game. Every game McClown starts does irreperable damage to the Jets future. It is just that simple. Bowles literally should not be allowed to start McClown (who never should have been signed to begin with) and if he insists just fire him. It is unlikely he is part of the future which is why he is playing McClown.

Hard reality is Bowles does not give a FUUCK about the Jets future. He is only considered with his own job and resume.

Bowles and the Jets are indescribanly short sighted and stupid to allow this to happen.

Great post, Jets already made this mistake back in 2014 with the HC, and letting him win meaningless games costing the Jets Winston, or Mariota hope they don't make the same mistake this season.

2 minutes ago, hawk said:

Very good choice, he has played in a game situation for a total of one series this preseason.  Who the hell needs chemistry anyway?

He is quite possibly the worst coach i have ever seen.

Right now, Kotite is puffing on a Cuban and enjoying a cocktail knowing that he has been unseated as the worst HC in Jets history.

They are going to wait until the earlier of a McCown injury, implosion or mathematical elimination from the playoffs to start one of the kids.

riddle me this batman: if you are leaning towards McCown and/or Petty, why start Hack in game 3? let him play clean up to raise his confidence like they did with Petty. Who is going to play game 4 with the scrubs? Hack now? Sorry, I was trying to be patient with Bowles but this decision is not only bad, but if this is where he is, not playing McCown in game 3 and starting Hack just is ridiculous...

1 minute ago, legler82 said:

They are going to wait until the earlier of a McCown injury, implosion or mathematical elimination from the playoffs to start one of the kids.

If that is true, it is just Stupid. Now we know what Mac is getting rid of all of the veterans; he is afraid our idiot coach would start them.

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

riddle me this batman: if you are leaning towards McCown and/or Petty, why start Hack in game 3? let him play clean up to raise his confidence like they did with Petty. Who is going to play game 4 with the scrubs? Hack now? Sorry, I was trying to be patient with Bowles but this decision is not only bad, but if this is where he is, not playing McCown in game 3 and starting Hack just is ridiculous...

Riddle me this; will we carry 3 QBs?

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Geez do people really not get it? We are rebuilding. As part of that rebuild you evaluate the QBs on the roster. Evaluating the QBs requires REGULAR SEASON game play. 16 games of it. Evaluating your QBs does NOT consist of a sham competition. a lot of reps in practice for 8 days, and then play the veteran. It requires patience, teaching, coaching and placing GREATER value on the future of this franchise over winning the next game. Every game McClown starts does irreperable damage to the Jets future. It is just that simple. Bowles literally should not be allowed to start McClown (who never should have been signed to begin with) and if he insists just fire him. It is unlikely he is part of the future which is why he is playing McClown.

Hard reality is Bowles does not give a FUUCK about the Jets future. He is only considered with his own job and resume.

Bowles and the Jets are indescribably short sighted and stupid to allow this to happen.

for YOU! You aren't playing or coaching.  I'd say they are being patient and coaching. It's just not to your and many here liking. I'd say many here are  indescribably short sighted and stupid...But whatever. 

2015   Browns 63.7% 2,109yards 12tds 4int 93.3 QB rating
image.png.d8fafd9185ff668fd92c7e2e225e7a99.png

That's with Joe Thomas as his LT. No Joe in sight here.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

1 minute ago, bostonmajet said:

Because they wanted Hack to win the starting job so he was given ample opportunity.  McCown is a veteran who will probably get a few snaps on Thursday and practice with the ones moving forward.  Whatever was said, IMO, Petty was never truly in the running to be the starter.

8 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

The team LOVES Petty. They risk nothing in the locker room starting him. This is a crap argument.

LOL..I thought they love McCown..I mean that's all I've been reading.

3 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I think Petty has played very well given the opportunities he's had.  All of his snaps have come against backups and the other issue with Petty is it seems he always gets injured.

What does that tell the rest of the team?  It doesnt mattet how you do in the so called competition, it only matters what you make, or some other diluted thought process the coach has. 

My guess is Petty doesn't play at all on Thursday.  Bowles cannot risk him playing well and creating more embarrassment so he'll superglue his ass to the bench and only let him get practice reps when the press isn't allowed in.  

The kid may flame out when he finally gets his next shot, or he may become mini-Favre, but Bowles is determined that whenever he does get his shot, it won't be with the Jets while he's the HC.  

8 minutes ago, bostonmajet said:

the plan as I see it was to sign mccown as insurance, and give hack every opportunity to seize the job. Petty was never in play for the starters job. I can't say why other than his performance last year or just the GM's lust for Hack.

Mccown has familiarity with this offense, and played a season with bates.  I think they took a gamble that mccown could be ready week 1 with minimal reps, and that opened the door to try to give hack the chance to seize the job

I would expect Hack will get the chance to play the entire game thursday as well

this staff sees petty very differently than the fans do

not just bowles, but the OC and QB coach

Just now, nycdan said:

My guess is Petty doesn't play at all on Thursday.  Bowles cannot risk him playing well and creating more embarrassment so he'll superglue his ass to the bench and only let him get practice reps when the press isn't allowed in.  

Huh? If he had that high an opinion of him and felt like his job was threatened wouldn't he start him then? 

1 hour ago, Lupz27 said:

Bowles should have been told next time you utter a 2-22 QB, and best chance to win in the same sentence you officially are in Rich Kotite stratosphere!

Thing is he doesn't report to Maccagnan, so only person to tell him anything right now is Chris Johnson. 

1 minute ago, JetsFanatic said:

Because they wanted Hack to win the starting job so he was given ample opportunity.  McCown is a veteran who will probably get a few snaps on Thursday and practice with the ones moving forward.  Whatever was said, IMO, Petty was never truly in the running to be the starter.

I do think there is credence to what Bowles/Bates said about stating Hack vs NYG...Petty has played against 1s (last yr)..They wanted to give Hack more reps..Again, as I said recently this allows Hack/CS coaching/teaching points for Hack...Of course many here will just say it's a waste of time blah blah...

Just now, Larz said:

the plan as I see it was to sign mccown as insurance, and give hack every opportunity to seize the job. Petty was never in play for the starters job. I can't say why other than his performance last year or just the GM's lust for Hack.

Mccown has familiarity with this offense, and played a season with bates.  I think they took a gamble that mccown could be ready week 1 with minimal reps, and that opened the door to try to give hack the chance to seize the job

I would expect Hack will get the chance to play the entire game thursday as well

this staff sees pewtty very differently than the fans do

not just bowles, but the OC and QB coach

Clearly.  Because I see 15/18 with 3 TDs, 0 INTs and a perfect QBR as something you want to build on and see if it can continue.  But what do I know.

The only logical decision. I hope he doesn't play on Thursday night. He gets reps in practice and nobody hits him. We have a chance to be competitive with him. The players know this, too. And I think will put out an effort with him. Petty should be the backup and he could be ok if and when he plays. He has a chance to be the starter next season. We have seen some progress with him. 

I''m not happy about this decision because I do think you have nothing to lose by playing Petty but you guys do have to understand we're also trying to develop the other 52 men on the roster not just Hack or Petty.  We have a super young Wide received corps and inexperienced o-line who can also benefit from a QB out there who knows what he's doing.  Again, after seeing the first 3 PS games I was rooting for Petty but in a way I do get it.

1 minute ago, Tony MaC said:

Huh? If he had that high an opinion of him and felt like his job was threatened wouldn't he start him then? 

No...for reasons I cannot fathom, the coaching staff, or Bowles at least, have predicated this entire preseason on saying everyone had an equal shot while making sure Petty didn't actually have one.  It makes no sense, but it seems like they are being very stubborn in not ever giving him a turn with the first unit.  Other than ego, what harm would there be in giving him a series or two in the first half last week.  

1 minute ago, nycdan said:

Clearly.  Because I see 15/18 with 3 TDs, 0 INTs and a perfect QBR as something you want to build on and see if it can continue.  But what do I know.

c'mon

collins and JPP are incredible talents.  Petty would have looked very different with those guys out there.

48 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Bates: Last time he was w/Jets (2005) they used 5 QBs...It's a week to week league. They''ll all be prepared each week to play...carry on

Would bet today that the Jets' week 16 and 17 QB starter (Starters? plural?) are not on this roster today. Would also wager an exacta their HC will be different then too. 

1 minute ago, Larz said:

c'mon

collins and JPP are incredible talents.  Petty would have looked very different with those guys out there.

Of course.  But when a guy is near-perfect with the limited opportunity he was given, do you give him a bigger opportunity or do you bury him?

Just now, drsamuel84 said:

I''m not happy about this decision because I do think you have nothing to lose by playing Petty but you guys do have to understand we're also trying to develop the other 52 men on the roster not just Hack or Petty.  We have a super young Wide received corps and inexperienced o-line who can also benefit from a QB out there who knows what he's doing.  Again, after seeing the first 3 PS games I was rooting for Petty but in a way I do get it.

Honestly this is my feeling as well.

I'm not going to lose sleep over this decision like some others are. Mostly because I'm pretty sure people are wrong in thinking that McCown will get every start this year- unless things went horribly RIGHT.