Josh McCown named starter by Bowles.

Lupz27

Thinking about it McCown is not the worse thing. He can take the lumps while our Oline gels more and our receivers become more acclimated with the WCO. Petty will be more further away from healing the injury fully and more onboard himself with the WCO. The when the inevitable happens when McCown goes down Petty could step into a better situation than last year when the whole team had cashed their cheques in for the year. Hopefully this young team stays motivated to support Petty when he gets his chance.

Sent from my Moto Z using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah we draft the best defensive player that falls to us at 6. No one is going to trade out of a spot for a generational type QB talent. 

There will unfortunately be no swimming as I said ...this team will sink. They have maybe 4 opportunities to win. I think they will get 2 out of the 4. So 2-14 will put us in a great position to draft one of the big 3. All 3 QBs coming out will be better than every QB drafted this past draft.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

They did everything known to man to try and give the job to Hackenberg and he was so awful that they couldn't even justify a YOLO approach like the Browns are using with Kizer. If they thought the team wouldn't outright quit on Hack, he'd be the starter today. 

I'm surprised the leadership that we drafted at #6 couldn't prevent that from happening.

I mean, you'd think this is exactly why we took a box safety who's tackling seems a bit suspect and who's not known for elite coverage skills that high... leadership, locker room, lunch pail, etc.

We're winning at least 4 games because of McCown.  Book it.  The tank is falling apart.  I'm not gonna blame him.  I hold no ill will towards Josh.  I'm blaming the bubba gump looking moron that is actually starting him over the one young QB on our roster who looks even remotely close to being worth a damn.

Going into his third season, Bowles has learned absolutely nothing.  I never thought a coach would have me sitting here pining for Rex Ryan.  At least his stupidity was entertaining.  Bowles is just painfully depressing.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

They did everything known to man to try and give the job to Hackenberg and he was so awful that they couldn't even justify a YOLO approach like the Browns are using with Kizer. If they thought the team wouldn't outright quit on Hack, he'd be the starter today. 

If they thought the Oline was as capable as the Browns Oline they may have thought of going that route. At this point the Oline would get an inexperienced QB killed . After a handful of games when the Oline has gelled some it would be a much better fit for Hack or Petty.

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

We're winning at least 4 games because of McCown.  Book it.  The tank is falling apart.  I'm not gonna blame him.  I hold no ill will towards Josh.  I'm blaming the bubba gump looking moron that is actually starting him over the one young QB on our roster who looks even remotely close to being worth a damn.

Going into his third season, Bowles has learned absolutely nothing.  I never thought a coach would have me sitting here pining for Rex Ryan.  At least his stupidity was entertaining.  Bowles is just painfully depressing.

You mean entertaining like putting your starting Qb out with 3rd and 4th stringers just to win a meaningless snoopy bowl trophy - no thanks I'll pass on that entertainment.

20 minutes ago, gEYno said:

I'm surprised the leadership that we drafted at #6 couldn't prevent that from happening.

I mean, you'd think this is exactly why we took a box safety who's tackling seems a bit suspect and who's not known for elite coverage skills that high... leadership, locker room, lunch pail, etc.

Missing on Darron Lee is already incredibly humilating, but if it turns out that Jamal Adams is anything less that Brian Dawkins, Maccagnan will go down as the worst GM in history simply because he tried drafting an ILB and a SS in the first round and missed on both. 

9 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

If they thought the Oline was as capable as the Browns Oline they may have thought of going that route. At this point the Oline would get an inexperienced QB killed . After a handful of games when the Oline has gelled some it would be a much better fit for Hack or Petty.

Stop with this. No doubt the OLine isn't great, but they're not why Hackenberg is terrible. 

1 minute ago, T0mShane said:

Missing on Darron Lee is already incredibly humilating, but if it turns out that Jamal Adams is anything less that Brian Dawkins, Maccagnan will go down as the worst GM in history simply because he tried drafting an ILB and a SS in the first round and missed on both. 

Stop with this. No doubt the OLine isn't great, but they're not why Hackenberg is terrible. 

Where did i say that , I said they'd get an inexperienced QB killed , which is exactly what Hack is right now. He'll learn the protections and blitz pickups , he'll get quicker at reads - that's the mental aspect of the game and it will develop at least better than it is right now. 

29 minutes ago, nicg4360 said:

There will unfortunately be no swimming as I said ...this team will sink. They have maybe 4 opportunities to win. I think they will get 2 out of the 4. So 2-14 will put us in a great position to draft one of the big 3. All 3 QBs coming out will be better than every QB drafted this past draft.

Big 4.   

15 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

#atleastIdzikmissedatpositionsthatmatter

16 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

Where did i say that , I said they'd get an inexperienced QB killed , which is exactly what Hack is right now. He'll learn the protections and blitz pickups , he'll get quicker at reads - that's the mental aspect of the game and it will develop at least better than it is right now. 

My apologies. I misinterpreted. It's raw up in these streets.

I had to walk away from the computer ealier tonight out of sheer frustration with the NY Jets. 

When does the bullsh*t end here?  

When do the most resilient fans in the NFL get rewarded?  

When do we hire competent people to run this organization GM,Head Coach,Scouts? 

The BAD goes deep here our strength and training coach trips a player on the sidelines,BB is hired and quits the next day, the butt fumble etc etc. 

Mike Maccagnan and Todd Bowles are not the answer for this organization Macc drafted a QB in the 2nd round who shouldn't even be on an NFL roster.  

Todd Bowles is a not head coaching material in the NFL. 

I will never attend another home game as long as Macc and Bowles are part of this organization. 

These comments in the paper have me beyond pissed off tonight as diehard lifelong NY Jets fan I want change here this organization has hit rock bottom. 

“He gives us the best chance to win right now,” Bowles said.

What does that tell you about the Jets’ quarterback situation? McCown is 2-20 in the last three years as a starter.

3 hours ago, NYs Stepchild said:

By competitive I mean the other team is going to have to try to beat us.

There will be many games where we come back and lose by 7 or less because the other team gets conservative. 

That and we will win at least 4 games. We'll draft no lower than 6, and no higher than 10...Then we give Mc a nice extension...you know for being competitive. 

Will sometimes be close because the offense is going to be noncompetitive. Expect a lot of very fast run heavy 2nd halves with the Jets down 10 points or so. This offense is going to shoot themselves in the foot every week; why take much of a chance? This defense is gonna get worn down every week.  And some idiot(Rex Ryan?) either with the Jets or on some network will tell you the jets have great pass defense statistically without noticing nobody is gonna bother to pass up a TD+ most games. 

Jets coach Todd Bowles believes Bryce Petty has made "legit improvement" this summer.

The Jets are laying the groundwork to name Petty their No. 2 quarterback following Christian Hackenberg's calamitous summer campaign. The only thing standing between Petty and backing up fragile starter Josh McCown in Week 1 is Petty's minor knee injury. It's possible Petty ends up leading the Jets in 2017 starts. Hack can't play and McCown can't stay healthy.

What is everyone so ticked about? This was the way it was going to be from the day they signed him. Anyone who thought differently was kidding themselves. This is a good thing. McCown is a terrible QB who has never finished an NFL season. He has never had a winning record and has 2 wins over the last what 3 years? You think with this offensive line and group of WR's he is going to improve on that? Come on. I would be more worried if Petty was going to start than him.This move insures two things imo: The Jets will have a top 3-5 draft pick and Bowles will most assuredly be fired. Macc may be gone to boot. Win-win for me.

6 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

What is everyone so ticked about? This was the way it was going to be from the day they signed him. Anyone who thought differently was kidding themselves. This is a good thing. McCown is a terrible QB who has never finished an NFL season. He has never had a winning record and has 2 wins over the last what 3 years? You think with this offensive line and group of WR's he is going to improve on that? Come on. I would be more worried if Petty was going to start than him.This move insures two things imo: The Jets will have a top 3-5 draft pick and Bowles will most assuredly be fired. Macc may be gone to boot. Win-win for me.

Image result for the voice of reason gifs

How do you not understand that this will never happen with McCown starting unless he gets knocked out in the first game. 
McCown is a nice safe QB that can beat bad teams. Guaranteed we win at least 4-5 games with him and pick 6th. He had a 93 QB rating with the Browns 2 years ago.
Guess we'll have the best CB drop to us. Can't wait. 

Maybe. Big maybe. How many games did he win with that Qb rating? He is 2 years older with a terrible supporting cast on offense

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

1 hour ago, gEYno said:

I don't watch much college football, so I never heard of adams until I started looking at mock drafts. Has anyone seen him play in college here? I have not been impressed with him at all so far. He had one nice pass defense in the giants game. That is the only play I have seen him make. I have seen him miss at least half a dozen tackles though. He was rated very highly by all the "draft experts and scouts", so why does he look so terrible???

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Depressingly agree.

For you and @dbatesman - I will formerly admit that I was wrong about Hack.  Might as well get that over with.  Crow tastes better when it's fresh.

21 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Depressingly agree.

For you and @dbatesman - I will formerly admit that I was wrong about Hack.  Might as well get that over with.  Crow tastes better when it's fresh.

Please, don't apologize. @dbatesman and I already know we're correct about things even before we begin conceptualizing the position. #precog

2 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

You mean entertaining like putting your starting Qb out with 3rd and 4th stringers just to win a meaningless snoopy bowl trophy - no thanks I'll pass on that entertainment.

I'd say choosing the 38 year old vet, who has had a total of 1 pre-season drive heading into the year, over the only competent looking young QB on the roster, in a rebuilding year, is far worse than throwing a lame duck QB from the last regime out into a pre-season game to see if he can pull off a comeback when put in the situation.  That decision, while unfortunate for Mark, got Geno meaningful reps in the regular season.  Sanchez was done here the second Tannenbaum got fired.  Anyone fooled into believing he was going to be given the job and chance to revive his career after the drafting of Geno was kidding themselves.  On top of all that, rookie (2013) Geno was better than 2012 Sanchez with much worse talent.  Sucks for Mark but oh well.  He was far away from the long term picture. Bolwes's desire to win a meaningless game or two with "his guy" can royally screw us week 1.

It's nice to think that rooting for the team to always win is noble, but we aren't going anywhere this year.  Winning 1 game has the chance to ruin our franchise (even further) for the next 15 years.  Is anyone here still happy Rex put in Mike Vick to beat the Steelers and wipe any chances we had for Winston and Mariota down the drain?  How about the Tennessee game in 2014?  We still happy we pulled that one out?  I'm still pretty upset, but maybe that's just me.

We have a chance to actually do things the right way, correct a huge mistake from 3 years ago, but somehow, were gonna let the power struggle of a lame duck head coach and GM looking to save his own ass, screw it all up...AGAIN.

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

My guess is Petty doesn't play at all on Thursday.  Bowles cannot risk him playing well and creating more embarrassment so he'll superglue his ass to the bench and only let him get practice reps when the press isn't allowed in.  

The kid may flame out when he finally gets his next shot, or he may become mini-Favre, but Bowles is determined that whenever he does get his shot, it won't be with the Jets while he's the HC.  

After watching last PS, I hope you are correct...Petty missing half of last season after getting body slammed at Philadelphia in garbage time when Geno should have been playing, certainly didn't help Petty's development at all.  Petty had a good preseason last year also IIRC.

This regime just does not know how to deal with the QB situation.

4 hours ago, rangerous said:

not good.  so mccown might take the team to 6-10, 7-9, maybe even 9-7, but then what?  the jets will be mired in middling record hell so their draft will be so-so.  i'd rather see them go 5-11 with petty or hack than 9-7 with mccown.  at least starting hack or petty would show what they have for the future.

And this is why a competent GM doesn't sign him in the first place. Not for any price, high or low.

If you want him to be a mentor, pay him $6m - or $26m - to be a second QBC for all I care. But you don't bring him in to be on the actual roster unless you know in advance he can't possibly win an open competition, because it paints the coach into a corner if he's the best QB of the 3 (which he is). There are 50 other players, and a HC on the hot seat, who don't give a crap if we get the #1 pick or the #16 pick next year. They needed to bring in a 3rd young QB. When you're seeking your long term solution at QB you don't waste one of those 3 QB slots on Josh McCown unless you're brain dead.

McCown looks like he can still play a little, and his experience gives him some value to some team. But his place, at his age, is as a $2-3m backup QB on a team with its starter locked in. You don't put the team in a situation where he could beat out your 2 young prospects in a season you're tanking in advance anyway.

5 hours ago, MDL_JET said:

Then what? Then we take the top Corner in the draft because all the good QBs will have been taken thus pushing down that top cb. 

We are taking a safety, no matter what our pick is.  Psst.....Mac has a safety and a qb mixed up.  He doesn't know the difference.  He once heard a good safety is the qb of your defense and he hasn't let it go since.

8 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Geez do people really not get it? We are rebuilding. As part of that rebuild you evaluate the QBs on the roster. Evaluating the QBs requires REGULAR SEASON game play. 16 games of it. Evaluating your QBs does NOT consist of a sham competition. a lot of reps in practice for 8 days, and then play the veteran. It requires patience, teaching, coaching and placing GREATER value on the future of this franchise over winning the next game. Every game McClown starts does irreperable damage to the Jets future. It is just that simple. Bowles literally should not be allowed to start McClown (who never should have been signed to begin with) and if he insists just fire him. It is unlikely he is part of the future which is why he is playing McClown.

Hard reality is Bowles does not give a FUUCK about the Jets future. He is only considered with his own job and resume.

Bowles and the Jets are indescribanly short sighted and stupid to allow this to happen.

You're pissed off at the wrong person. Bowles is doing exactly what any HC in his position would do. 

If you want to get pissed off at someone, get pissed off at the one that put Bowles in the position to come to this decision by putting putting McCown on the roster in the first place, and giving him a choice between the least of 3 evils. Bowles doesn't have a 10 year guaranteed contract with the Jets. He effectively has a 1 year opportunity to do what he can to save his potential career as a HC. He doesn't have the luxury of looking towards the team's future 2-3 years from now and beyond, and frankly it's ridiculous to expect it.

Hackenberg was given every opportunity to be the starter and the simple reality is he is unusable, and it would be indefensible for Bowles to start him after his last 2 games against vanilla defenses. Even if you want to argue Petty should start - and IMO I wish that was the decision (given these 3 options) - thus far the guy makes Chad Pennington look like an ironman so McCown would be starting very soon anyway. 

Bowles sucks and simply isn't an NFL HC, but HCs come and go all the time so the 2 main problems that have more lasting effects are the foolish GM and the fool that hired him. 

4 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

That isn't why Sanchez was put back out there, but this horse has been beaten plenty. Both the HC and QB are ex-Jets and we weren't going to win a SB with either one so dry your eyes.

1 hour ago, Fantasy Island said:

Might as well apologize also for defending Darron Lee.

That'd be nice if that actually happened.  The only thing I've ever really said about that pick was that I was glad we didn't go for Paxton Lynch.  I personally wanted to either: 

- Trade up for Carson Wentz.

- Trade down for more picks.

I wasn't thrilled with the Lee pick but I didn't vomit with disgust when we passed on Paxton Lynch like a ton of people here did.  My favorite prospects in that class were Wentz, Leonard Floyd, Bosa, Zeke, and Goff (big meh grade from me overall though), in that order.  I was all for selling Mo Wilkerson and the farm for Wentz at #2 overall, and everyone else was well gone before we picked.  Truth be told, I was gonna be really indifferent about anything other than trading down at that point. Noah Spence would have likely been my "bang the table" pick if trading down @ 20 wasn't possible and we had to pick someone, but that was never gonna happen with his issues off the field.  I also wanted Dak Prescott, in the 2nd or 3rd but knew, like Spence, it was never happening after he got a DUI in his pre-draft off-season.  I liked him more than Hack and was adamant about him being a steal months before the college season even started.  Never saw what he has become happening so quickly, but his success doesn't shock me in the slightest. 

My personal strategy and vision for the 2016 draft was far different than what unfolded.

This is the best decision that can be mAde. We gave Hack the best opportunity to show that he can be as a starter and he's not ready. We've seen enough of Petty to know that he isn't the future of the franchise. Why McClown? Why bother? Because we have young Players on the offense that also need to develop and he provides the best opportunity for them to that. He is a journeyman but he's best we have.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

Archived