Testy Todd; Bowles Lukewarm on Hackenberg’s Future, Takes Subtle jab at NY Spotlight

JetNation

1 minute ago, Lupz27 said:

I disagree, safest maybe, best highly unlikely.

Just because the best QB also isn't very good, doesn't make him not the best still.  And, that argument doesn't even hold up this year, because Petty or Hack would increase the chances of Bowles having a job.  McCown does nothing to help Bowles, so it's not all that safe.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Agreed on clock management, an area I think it is justified to criticize him for.  I also would criticize him for being far too conservative.

Good offensive game planning is typically judged by the outcome, and we don't have the horses for a favorable outcome.

Who cares about emotion on the sideline, Belichick rarely shows any?

I think he handled the QB situation as well as possible, considering the QBs.  They all suck.  There was no good plan, because every outcome was a bad one.

That's fair.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Well, he could say something along the lines of, "If Christian keeps putting in the work and shows continued growth and improvement, I don't see why he can't be a starter in this league"

I believe the would be a TOTAL lie. I think the Hackenberg experiment is as dead as Dillinger and should be. Hackenberg has PROVEN he cannot play with the big boys even at an average level. He was a long reach because most scouts agreed that he stunk, but Mac thought he saw something that obviously was not there. Petty will prove to be a competent backup QB while I think Hackenberg should be allowed to play the whole game against Philly to find out what level he CAN play against. Then he should be cut and brought back on the practice squad to see if the coaches can get ANYTHING out of what will be another wasted second round pick.

1 hour ago, jgb said:

Macc has left the Jets in worse shape 3 years in. Presidents lose elections for leaving the economy (a much bigger and infinitely more complex endeavor to influence) in worst shape after only 4 years. With the likely top pick in the draft and a boatload of cap space, the Jets ability to land a true big time HC will never be higher. The confluence of these two events means (hopefully) we bring in Harbaugh or a Gruden and hand over the keys.

Mac made a mistake with Hackenberg for sure and will have a lot of explaining to do on that one. In his defense ALL GM's make mistakes - the draft is NOT an exact science - and he saw something in Hackenberg that never developed. It happens. Yes, Mac could have  - and should have signed a better QB than McCown, but let's not forget this is a "rebuilding" year and the Jets will lose a lot of games. That is a given. The thing is "do they show improvement?" That is the key. I expect the Jets to have a top five pick in the draft and that will be Mac's big test. If he fails this one it will affect the Jets for three or four years afterward. That is a firing offense.

4 hours ago, JetFaninMI said:

I can't believe I'm saying this but what else can he say? Hack is so bad that I have to start a guy who has 2 wins over the last 3 years? Or My GM has given me so little to work with that I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel here? No Bowles has to at least look like he is trying to put together a team with the garbage he has in TC with the exception of a few guys. I'm no fan of this guy but Bowles is getting ass reamed without grease here and it is plain as day. Hell at this point the guy probably wants to be fired.

How about the truth?  That Hack is disappointing so far, and his development and play have not met the franchises expectations.

If Hack is so soft that hearing his Coach say out loud in public what he MUST be saying privately, and that we (fans/media) all know just from watching, well......it says Hack is too mentally soft to ever play in the league.

I'm tired of Coach speak bullsh*t.  How about lighting a FIRE under this kids ass for a change.  At least it would indicate that Bowles cares, as his so-called terse non-answers don't show that, at all.

Also, a dose of Head Coach taking responsabillity would be nice, aka "we, the staff, need to do better too. Hacks development is on us, and since I'm the Head Coach, it's on me.  The buck stops here."

But Bowles is simply not that kind of "own it" Head Coach, certainly not about the offense.

4 hours ago, AFJF said:

Well, he could say something along the lines of, "If Christian keeps putting in the work and shows continued growth and improvement, I don't see why he can't be a starter in this league"

Bowles doesn't strike me as man that will say things he doesn't believe.. 

3 hours ago, Tinstar said:

All of this anger is more about who the Jets didn't Draft more-so than who they did .  The Jets took a player who some thought was the best player in the whole draft probably because the player they were hoping fell to them didn't and the one they thought wouldn't, did .

The Jets lost their best receiver so they took 2, a player who looks like an Eric Decker clone on the field and another who plays the game like Anquan Bolden .  They needed a young RB because of the age of the 2 starters and they got lucky with a kid who has the same skill set as their 2 starters, but more speed .

The perfect QB for what the Jets are doing would have been Trubisky , but the Bears were smart . Had the Jets drafted Trubisky, the smart move would still have been to start the season with Josh McCown . At some point this season, McCown will be replaced by either Petty or Hackenberg and it won't be an issue . That's why you bring in this type f pro and why he was paid what he was paid.  

If they truly wanted Trubisky, then it's an even bigger indictment of Mac. If you love a QB prospect then you don't wait for him to fall to you. You do everything possible to get him. So now instead of having a QB to build around, they have a pair of sh!tty safeties and nothing whatsoever on offense. 

I didn't think it could possibly get worse than John Idzik. But Woody found a way. 

Petty should be the starter. It may be a moot point because Mccown will almost certainly be injured before September is over. If he survives buffalo he will likely be injured by Khalil Mack and the raiders. When he was starter for the browns I think the jets knocked him out of the game in the first half in the opener and he was 2yrs younger then!

hack is so lost, he cannot be on the field. It is shocking how bad he is, he looks like he cannot even play the game of football. He has a good arm, maybe he can become a pitcher??

32 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Bowles doesn't strike me as man that will say things he doesn't believe.. 

Last season he said he was excited to see Geno Smith play and named Fitz his starting QB five minutes after he threw six interceptions.  He's lied for other players, so no reason he can't lie for Hack.

49 minutes ago, Ex-Rex said:

I believe the would be a TOTAL lie. I think the Hackenberg experiment is as dead as Dillinger and should be. Hackenberg has PROVEN he cannot play with the big boys even at an average level. He was a long reach because most scouts agreed that he stunk, but Mac thought he saw something that obviously was not there. Petty will prove to be a competent backup QB while I think Hackenberg should be allowed to play the whole game against Philly to find out what level he CAN play against. Then he should be cut and brought back on the practice squad to see if the coaches can get ANYTHING out of what will be another wasted second round pick.

As I said to somebody else, Bowles has lied on behalf of other players before.

2 hours ago, C Mart said:

He did. Just not the wording vote of confidence that you want to hear. 

I wanted to hear the truth, which is fine, but Todd Bowles knows the importance of lying to the media to deflect attention from the fact that a guy is terrible.  He did it for Geno last off-season.  He was asked a very simple straight forward question.  Could've lied for Hack like he did for Geno and just say, "sure, he can be a starter one day", but he chose not to.

Sometimes it's about reading between the lines.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I wanted to hear the truth, which is fine, but Todd Bowles knows the importance of lying to the media to deflect attention from the fact that a guy is terrible.  He did it for Geno last off-season.  He was asked a very simple straight forward question.  Could've lied for Hack like he did for Geno and just say, "sure, he can be a starter one day", but he chose not to.

Fine. We'll disagree.  

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

Bowles is a relatively new head coach that is getting better with the media. He handled the Fitz thing 100% wrong from start to finish. He is handling things differently now with the media.

I don't think he owes the media the truth. His opinions on the players will be reflected by who he plays. Does Belichick tell the truth to the media? No, good coaches don't do that.

He thinks Petty isn't good enough to be a starting QB in this league. He is either right or wrong, and his job is on a line as a result. So that will play itself out but I fail to see what the problem is in what he said about Hack.

44 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Bowles is a relatively new head coach that is getting better with the media. He handled the Fitz thing 100% wrong from start to finish. He is handling things differently now with the media.

I don't think he owes the media the truth. His opinions on the players will be reflected by who he plays. Does Belichick tell the truth to the media? No, good coaches don't do that.

He thinks Petty isn't good enough to be a starting QB in this league. He is either right or wrong, and his job is on a line as a result. So that will play itself out but I fail to see what the problem is in what he said about Hack.

I didn't mean that I expected him to tell the truth, was just responding g to the comment about me not hearing what I wanted to hear.  I want the truth, but I expect him to lie.

The fact that he didn't lie to protect Hack and basically gave an answer that was on par with a shoulder shrug and a "meh" when asked if he could be a starter caught my eye...or my ear.

Maybe just me.

Just now, AFJF said:

I didn't mean that I expected him to tell the truth, was just responding g to the comment about me not hearing what I wanted to hear.  I want the truth, but I expect him to lie.

The fact that he didn't lie to protect Hack and basically gave an answer that was on par with a shoulder shrug and a "meh" when asked if he could be a starter caught my eye...or my ear.

Maybe just me.

I much prefer the way he answered it. This way he isn't handing Hack anything. You want that guy on edge, in the gym, studying and watching 10 hours of game film. The coach saying he can get better and not promising anything more is a good answer.

It is up to Hack. What we know right now is he has to get better. A lot of people feel he won't. But with McCown as the starter and this oline everyone will get a shot at QB. Probably even Bilial Powell lol.

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

Now that would be an even bigger bullspit statement than the original.

Just now, JetFaninMI said:

Now that would be an even bigger bullspit statement than the original.

No bigger BS statement than "We're excited to see what Geno can do this year"

10 hours ago, Ex-Rex said:

Mac made a mistake with Hackenberg for sure and will have a lot of explaining to do on that one. In his defense ALL GM's make mistakes - the draft is NOT an exact science - and he saw something in Hackenberg that never developed. It happens. Yes, Mac could have  - and should have signed a better QB than McCown, but let's not forget this is a "rebuilding" year and the Jets will lose a lot of games. That is a given. The thing is "do they show improvement?" That is the key. I expect the Jets to have a top five pick in the draft and that will be Mac's big test. If he fails this one it will affect the Jets for three or four years afterward. That is a firing offense.

You make good points but also need to ask when will Jets be able to get an elite HC? When we have tons of cap room and a high draft pick. Whether it's "fair" or not if you can get a Harbaugh who will want full control, adios Macc.

Archived