Mehta!: Behind the scenes when they drafted Hack (Spoiler alert--Source drops it in Macc's lap)

T0mShane

7 minutes ago, SMC said:

The problem isn't that Macc took Hack in the 2nd round.  If you think a QB prospect is a franchise talent, you take him in any round you think you can get him.  The problem is that Macc thought Hack was a franchise talent to begin with.

There were reports that some teams didn't have Hack on their draft board and those that did had him in the 4th to 6th round range.  Those teams obviously didn't view him as a franchise talent, but someone either worthy of a flier or a camp invite.  That disparate view between Macc and other NFL talent evaluators is what is troubling. 

It's even bigger than this.  Drafting Hack was the first mistake and possibly forgivable.  His mistake was watching him be the worst player on field in the 4qtr of the 4th preseason game, and somehow think any coaching staff could fix him.  He obviously felt that Hack was going to be a legit starter at some point this season and thus only brought in McCown.  Add the fact that Petty was being judged so harshly on his 4 starts last year, we're gonna have to replace the FO again.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even the most staunch Mac supporter has to admit that he has been an average GM at best.  If you are a generous relative of his, you may even want to go as far as slightly above average.  Average and slightly above is fine if you want to make the playoffs once or twice a decade.  How if your ambitions are championships and aspire for the "sustainable success" that Mac tries to sell us, it's just not going to cut it.  I'm pushing 30 years of Jets fandom, I can no longer stomach, accept nor appease mediocrity.  I'm raising my standards even though the team I follow refuses to.

2 hours ago, legler82 said:

What round was Brian Dawkins drafted?  Find me a safety drafted 6th overall or earlier that Adams can be the next version of, then I would be able to tell you if the pick was worth it.

57 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

There is only 1, and may he RIP.

52 minutes ago, legler82 said:

He was a freak of nature, the LeBron James of safeties.  God did not bless Adams with the physical gifts necessary to the next he who is no longer among us. 

I assume you guys are talking about Sean Taylor?  He went 5th overall.  So did Eric Berry. 

3 hours ago, Philc1 said:

All of the experts have said this guy is the next Brian Dawkins but better

"Experts" also told anyone in the country that would listen that Percy Snow was the next LT.

You probably read that and said to yourself: "Percy who?!?!"

EXACTLY

You think this "expert" game is new hat? HAHA & VETO! VETO I SAY!

1 hour ago, legler82 said:

Even the most staunch Mac supporter has to admit that he has been an average GM at best.  If you are a generous relative of his, you may even want to go as far as slightly above average.  Average and slightly above is fine if you want to make the playoffs once or twice a decade.  How if your ambitions are championships and aspire for the "sustainable success" that Mac tries to sell us, it's just not going to cut it.  I'm pushing 30 years of Jets fandom, I can no longer stomach, accept nor appease mediocrity.  I'm raising my standards even though the team I follow refuses to.

Macc will be graded on this year. There is good and bad in teh first two years. But he has 800 kids on the roster this year, that will make or break Macc (how they perform).

5 hours ago, T0mShane said:

http://www.nydailynews.com/amp/sports/football/jets/happened-day-jets-drafted-christian-hackenberg-article-1.3450117

“When the Texans traded up …” one team insider said. “I don’t want to say it spooked him, but it made him want to go ahead and take Hackenberg.”

So, he did.

It’s fair to wonder about the wisdom of a move that has yielded no tangible returns.

so maneesh is saying the texans traded up, didn't take hack and that forced mac to take hack when the jets pick came around. i've got some bridges to sell you.  there may be some truth to the part about mac being influenced by his scouting when with the texans but i doubt if the texans move is the only thing. so now mccown is going to start so the jets won't even know until next season if either petty or hack or the qb they select in 2018 is going to be the guy.  how is it that guys like tj yates or savage or even kaepernick can play okay at qb and the jets can't get one by any means.

I think we are in good hands with Mac.  90% of his draft picks have been excellent -- much better than Idzik who buried a hole for him with the 2014 draft.  I'd take either Petty or Hack over Wentz or even Prescott
Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

After winning 10 games in his first season, it all fell apart last year when they tried to catch lightning in a bottle and now they're doing the right thing.  Took a shot and missed, now tear it all down and start over.  Rebuild started about 8 months ago and a game has yet to be played.

There was the rebuild and then there was the rebuild.  Before the draft we signed McCown for $6mm, which is more than Hoyer signed for, and Beachum is has been underwhelming.  We signed Johnson (when we could have drafted Elflein or Pocic) and Marcus Williams.  

It was only after the OTAs that Harris and Decker were cut.  That is when the panic set it.  A successful organization needs a plan to stick to.   There was clearly a change in plan.

If Forte is being marketed, which is good, why are McClendon and Skrine still on the team?  No one should be on the team that is not contributing in 2019.

2 hours ago, Pcola said:

It's even bigger than this.  Drafting Hack was the first mistake and possibly forgivable.  His mistake was watching him be the worst player on field in the 4qtr of the 4th preseason game, and somehow think any coaching staff could fix him.  He obviously felt that Hack was going to be a legit starter at some point this season and thus only brought in McCown.  Add the fact that Petty was being judged so harshly on his 4 starts last year, we're gonna have to replace the FO again.

Both last year and this year, Hack should be on the practice squad.  No one is signing him to a 53.  Hire Jordan Palmer to continue his development.   That is where he belongs.  The Jets should save the roster spot and money.

I have no doubt that a QB will free up from someone's roster who can contribute more to the Jets this year.  Next year, or later in the year as McCown and Petty get hurt, we can see about Hack.

3 hours ago, legler82 said:

Don't start no mess with me young fella...

Stop bellyaching and bogey, YOU ARE A JETS FAN!!

dance old man boogie GIF

5 hours ago, gEYno said:

The original poster is @phill1c, the new poster is @Philc1.  Do you think these are different people?

LOL. Do you think I pay any attention to who the posters are?  It's an anonymous internet message board.  I couldn't tell you who said what here on any given day.

Only thing I know for sure is that the guy with the Phil Dunphy avatar is the most negative, snarky, beaten down dude I have ever read the musings of.  But at least he's kind of funny doing it.  And the people that did the group mock draft seemed pretty cool.  Beyond that?  No idea.

51 minutes ago, varjet said:

There was the rebuild and then there was the rebuild.  Before the draft we signed McCown for $6mm, which is more than Hoyer signed for, and Beachum is has been underwhelming.  We signed Johnson (when we could have drafted Elflein or Pocic) and Marcus Williams.  

It was only after the OTAs that Harris and Decker were cut.  That is when the panic set it.  A successful organization needs a plan to stick to.   There was clearly a change in plan.

If Forte is being marketed, which is good, why are McClendon and Skrine still on the team?  No one should be on the team that is not contributing in 2019.

Both last year and this year, Hack should be on the practice squad.  No one is signing him to a 53.  Hire Jordan Palmer to continue his development.   That is where he belongs.  The Jets should save the roster spot and money.

I have no doubt that a QB will free up from someone's roster who can contribute more to the Jets this year.  Next year, or later in the year as McCown and Petty get hurt, we can see about Hack.

I'd say step one was a build.  You can't re-build something that didn't exist.  It won them ten games and they tried to capitalize on it and it fell apart. 

Now it's the tear down and re-build.

22 minutes ago, Lil Woody said:

LOL. Do you think I pay any attention to who the posters are?  It's an anonymous internet message board.  I couldn't tell you who said what here on any given day.

Only thing I know for sure is that the guy with the Phil Dunphy avatar is the most negative, snarky, beaten down dude I have ever read the musings of.  But at least he's kind of funny doing it.  And the people that did the group mock draft seemed pretty cool.  Beyond that?  No idea.

LMAO WHAT??? If you're referring to @T0mShane avatar, I'm about to crap myself with laughter

Oh Jesus, Jet fans are just as clueless as the front office

tumblr_inline_nwr5hvS6Be1qdozhv_500.gif

1 hour ago, Lil Woody said:

Who has a Phil Dunphy avatar?

So wait, Texans traded up and didn't pick Hack and somehow that made Macc think Hack was a hot commodity??? Uh, to any reasonable person that shows even the coach who got a reasonably productive season out of Hack DID NOT WANT. I would've crossed Hack off my board at that moment, not rushed to take him then and there.

Edit: Read the rest of the thread after posting, looks like I was late to the party with my above comment

20 hours ago, T0mShane said:

So, Maccagnan thought that O'Brien--who had just traded ahead of the Jets in Round Two--was going to take Hack, then O'Brien didn't draft Hack, but Macc was so rattled by this he drafted Hackenberg even though they thought he'd still be around in Round Three or Four? 

Kind of reminds me of when we drafted Gholston because we thought the pats were going to get him.

Archived