The Jets will start 1 and 0

Maxman

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I think it's entirely possible they beat the Bills, who also suck and are also quietly (less obviously than the Jets, that is) tanking. I hope that isn't the case, however, because winning games like this is how we cost ourselves Darnold.

Both Bills games, Jags at home, @ Browns. These are the games we really don't want to win.

4 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I mean the Jets cut every player on the team who anybody's heard of. Became pretty blatant when they cut Harris and Decker... Bills are trading young decent players for assets but I'd say it's a more subtle tank. The Jets basically cut anyone who would save them money and intentionally went into the season with garbage at QB.

But I agree. This offense is going to be so bad I don't think we can be out tanked.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I am not getting how the Bills are quietly tanking.  They are dumping all of their cheaper, good young players and getting draft picks for them.

The Jets cut overpriced, likely injured veterans.  You can argue that they are starting the rebuild now.   The Bills are liquidating.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this team wins any games it's not going to be because our offense.  The most likely scenario is that our very young very hungry secondary pads the score with a pick 6 or two, and/or the other teams fumbles and we walk it in for a TD.  That sort of thing.      

3 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

I was hoping the Bills were going to cut Tyrod and we would sign him. I think he will give our D problems. They have never played well against a mobile Qb. But it will be interesting to see just how McCown manages an offense without many experienced skill players. I think the O-line will be the key. And I hope we don't get rid of Forte. Not much in weapons after him and Bilal. 

Easy to tell you are waaaaay to emotionally invested in this team.  This team has a four win ceiling.  None of your "I think this... I hope that" matters.

Getting any pick at all for Forte, even a conditional 7th, is a win. 

You want to see how McCown manages an offense without weapons?  Why?!?!?  What difference does it make?

Do yourself a favor, recognize what this team is and watch accordingly.  In other words, basically a 16 game tryout for the younger guys.

Sadly this is one of the games the Jets have a real chance in.  The mood around the Bills is bad, it seems like a lost season for them too, Tyrod Taylor seems rusty and he lost his top target in Sammy Watkins.  Plus strange things can happen in week 1 since units are yet to gel.  I can see the Jets putting up more than 20 points and being in this game into the 4th quarter.  If they can get a running game going with Forte they might even steal a win (not that I want one, just saying).

Week 2 at Oakland will be ugly, though.

I don't see a likely way for Jets to win in Buffalo. Although they've shed a lot of players, Buffalo still has a decent defense and can run the ball very well. Stranger things have happened sure but if Buffalo gets a lead at any point, even if they don't have Taylor they should be able to hang on for the win. Simply put Jets have an extraordinarily small room for error in this one. Not a situation they historically excel and I don't have confidence in Bowles to not make a few mistakes.

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Easy to tell you are waaaaay to emotionally invested in this team.  This team has a four win ceiling.  None of your "I think this... I hope that" matters.

You want to see how McCown manages an offense without weapons?  Why?!?!?  What difference does it make?

Do yourself a favor, recognize what this team is and watch accordingly.  In other words, basically a 16 game tryout for the younger guys.

Anderson is a weapon. Powell is a weapon. Jenkins is a weapon.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

Anderson is a weapon. Powell is a weapon. Jenkins is a weapon.

You didnt understand my post in context. I was quoting someone else.  And you dont need to tell me about Robby.  Thought you might have noticed, I am higher on him than just about everyone on this message board. 

Powell is a nice, versatile player. Jack of many trades, master of none.  But calling him a "weapon" is  open to interpretation. 

Bills have zero CBs that can run with Anderson. Now if Anderson can't get off press it all comes down to McCown finding another open WR. This game is a complete toss up between 2 rebuilding squads. How many concussions is enough for Taylor?

And maybe I'm overrating our defense but there is no way in hell Peterman will out dual McCown in his 1st NFL action. Opening day & preseason are 2 totally different mindsets for players & coaches.

Do you honestly believe that the D front was going 110 MPH in preseason? They barely even put in any stunts & the only one they did Sheldon got a sack. Remember the Jets 5-0 preseason? How'd that season go, lol.

While I can't stand Bowles as a head coach, he did win assistant coach of the year in Arizona & I watched his defense stymie a very good Patriots team in Gillette. So it's not out of the realm of possibility the Jets put together a defensive game plan that causes problems for the Bills offense. Watkins was a Jet killer & he's gone. Can the Jets stop the run will be the question of the day. Clearly from watching preseason extending Mo & letting Snacks go was a HUGE mistake. McClendon can't hold Snacks jock strap. 

The Jet defenders might not always be in the right place next Sunday but they damn sure will get to the ball a lot faster than we saw last year. Gonna be very interesting. I think you'll see a team that fights for 4 quarters. Living in New England allows me to see the game on CBS since the Pats play Thursday night. Blessing or Curse? Lol

10 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Your anti-tank perspective is a bad vision for the future of the franchise. 

Great. Because what we are think really impacts things.

That being said I am mad if I lose at checkers. So before I  invest in anything and root to lose I would just stop investing in that thing.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Great. Because what we are think really impacts things.

That being said I am mad if I lose at checkers. So before I  invest in anything and root to lose I would just stop investing in that thing.

You run an influential message board that follows the Jets, and the fans have been proven to impact decisions Woody Johnson makes.  SEE:  Poll that helped Rex Ryan keep his job an extra year. 

Yes, what we think impacts things, because Woody Johnson is stupid.  If we'd have properly tanked previously, we'd have a franchise QB by now. 

2 minutes ago, J-Diddy said:

4-1 after 5!

At Buff - WIN

AT Raiders - LOSS

Home vs Dolphins - WIN

Home vs Jaguars - WIN

At Clevelend - WIN

4-1

This team will be closer to the playoffs than they will be to the first pick in the draft.

5 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Your anti-tank perspective is a bad vision for the future of the franchise. 

The team is loaded with young exuberant mistakes waiting to happen. Ain't no way they lose for lack of effort, most likely from lack of experience. They can still give great effort & lose. Much better than watching last seasons squad throw in the towel, probably the most disgusted I've ever been as a Jet fan. Remember, your gonna get way more effort on opening day out of these young replacements than you got last year out of those vets that were cut.

Marshall? Quit like a dog, drops, short arms. Decker? Hurt, Mangold? Hurt, Revis? Sucked & gave zero effort and played not to get hurt, Harris? There goes another wheel route for a long gain, Clady? hurt, Pryor? Horrible!, 

I mean seriously, even with these guys we won 5 games last year,lol. These replacements are probably an upgrade based on the effort given alone. The media makes it out like the Jets actually cut anybody that was IMPORTANT on this team last year. Hell, they were all part of the problem, one way or another. I find it hard to believe that even McCown can play any WORSE than Fitz did last year, lol, hell he just has to protect the ball & he's an improvement from Fitz the turnover king. 

Jets will win 4/5 games, just like last year. Just want to see development of the young guys & see those same youngsters taking leadership roles on the team for the near future. Stewart looks real good, Hansen showed some flashes already, Anderson will be a handful if other guys step up, even McGuire reminded me of a more powerful Leon Washington type.  2017 will be awesome for these young guys as they are gonna get tons of reps vs the big boys. You learn by playing & seeing film of your success & failures & build from there. No way these young excited players tank on purpose. You'll see 100%. It's all we can ask for.

5 minutes ago, J-Diddy said:

Jets will purchase a QB next season.  

Jimmy G. or Cousins will be under center in 2018.

We have the loot.

I agree with this if Jets end up picking 6th or 7th type of draft. I personally think it all comes down to the Niners & where they end up in the draft. If they are close to the top, maybe Bears have 1st pick, they'll trade up knowing Bears ain't picking QB after drafting Trubisky.

If Niners can get Darnold I think Shanahan would go in that direction & bypass Cousins. That would leave Cousins & Garapolo as Jet targets. Which QB would be best in a WCO? 

Cousins is tailor made for the WCO...  Very accurate and decisive.

1 minute ago, Jetster said:

I agree with this if Jets end up picking 6th or 7th type of draft. I personally think it all comes down to the Niners & where they end up in the draft. If they are close to the top, maybe Bears have 1st pick, they'll trade up knowing Bears ain't picking QB after drafting Trubisky.

If Niners can get Darnold I think Shanahan would go in that direction & bypass Cousins. That would leave Cousins & Garapolo as Jet targets. Which QB would be best in a WCO? 

14 hours ago, varjet said:

I am not getting how the Bills are quietly tanking.  They are dumping all of their cheaper, good young players and getting draft picks for them.

The Jets cut overpriced, likely injured veterans.  You can argue that they are starting the rebuild now.   The Bills are liquidating.

I'm just saying the Jets are more in your face as far as "tanking" -- cutting long time veterans who can still play serves what purpose? How does cutting Eric Decker and David Harris help this team? It unequivocally makes the team worse. It's just a cost cutting move in a year where the organization knows they'll be bad and likely wants to be bad. They clearly could have done better at QB if they'd been more aggressive. They didn't want to be. They wanted to tank.

The Bills have traded assets for draft picks. Smart rebuilding strategy (if the Jets had assets they could move, I suspect the would have done the same but they've drafted so poorly they don't have much of real value.) But they aren't dumping guys who can help them for nothing. They brought back Tyrod, Shady, Marcell Darius, etc. 

I stand by my statement -- the Bills are rebuilding but because their moves make sense and are defensible it's a quieter tank. The Jets are blatantly stripping the team of talent.

We need Wilkerson to take over a leadership role this year.

Instead of "tanking", we can call it "Wliking".  

For example, say McCown is able to generate 13 points or so and the D has only let up a TD in the 4th quarter...  it'll be time to "Wilk" it.  The whole D could start taking plays off and just relax a bit.  

Nothing crazy, but enough to make sure Bowles can't ruin our future. 

11 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I disagree because I want to win as many games as possible this season. 

29 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

I'm just saying the Jets are more in your face as far as "tanking" -- cutting long time veterans who can still play serves what purpose? How does cutting Eric Decker and David Harris help this team? It unequivocally makes the team worse. It's just a cost cutting move in a year where the organization knows they'll be bad and likely wants to be bad. They clearly could have done better at QB if they'd been more aggressive. They didn't want to be. They wanted to tank.

The Bills have traded assets for draft picks. Smart rebuilding strategy (if the Jets had assets they could move, I suspect the would have done the same but they've drafted so poorly they don't have much of real value.) But they aren't dumping guys who can help them for nothing. They brought back Tyrod, Shady, Marcell Darius, etc. 

I stand by my statement -- the Bills are rebuilding but because their moves make sense and are defensible it's a quieter tank. The Jets are blatantly stripping the team of talent.

This theory goes out the window once McCown gets his 2nd win in the first few games this season.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You run an influential message board that follows the Jets, and the fans have been proven to impact decisions Woody Johnson makes.  SEE:  Poll that helped Rex Ryan keep his job an extra year. 

Yes, what we think impacts things, because Woody Johnson is stupid.  If we'd have properly tanked previously, we'd have a franchise QB by now. 

Woody Johnson is on another continent. We have Europe IP blocked until Glenn moved there lol.

As Ive been saying for a while, the Jets D is going to keep them in a lot of games, and even a sub par QB will be able to squeak out a few wins here and there.  I say the Jets D does enough during the year to get the team 5 wins. In my opinion, the worst possible scenario in week one is a win lead by a good game from McCown.  This will bury Petty and Hack on the bench for the first half of the year.

If finally getting the opportunity to draft a potential franchise QB is on the table, I'm all for winning as few games as possible in 2017.   All three of the Jets QB's are hot garbage, but it would make me feel better as a fan to watch Petty /Hack play sup par football instead of a washed up veteran who would have been out of the league if the Jets didn't sign him.  Call me crazy.

8 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

To be clear, what are you actually expecting from The Jets in the first five games? I'm curious how optimistic you really are here.

I originally thought 4 and 1. But that was when Decker was still here and before Quincy got hurt. Now I am thinking 3 and 2 is more realistic.

nyj.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true  New York Jets (0 wins)

Vegas over/under: 3.5

Wins: None.

Losses: at Bills, at Raiders, Dolphins, Jaguars, at Browns, Patriots, at Dolphins, Falcons, Bills, at Buccaneers, Panthers, Chiefs, at Broncos, at Saints, Chargers, at Patriots

Analysis: The difference between Josh McCown's 4.12 average in QB Tiers balloting and the Jets' average opponent tier (2.58) marks the largest QB deficit for any team. That assumes McCown will start all 16 games, which he has never done in a season previously. It's not looking like the Jets have an obviously better alternative, either.

rest of above article  : 

>   http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20592515/nfl-predicting-all-256-games-final-records-2017-season

Archived