### Jets \ Eagles -- Preseason Week Four, Game Thread ###

Maxman

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BY DANIEL POPPER

Todd Bowles opted to start Josh McCown in the Jets’ fourth preseason game Thursday at MetLife Stadium.

Naturally, that decision backfired.

On the second series of the night, McCown — who was named the starter on Monday — took a big hit to the ribs from backup Eagles linebacker Joe Walker. McCown completed a pass to Austin Seferian-Jenkins on the play, but he stayed down on the turf after sustaining the crushing blow.

McCown tried to jog off the field. As he approached the Jets sideline, he dropped down to a knee. Trainers tended to him for several minutes.

Josh McCown will start the Jets' first regular season game.

Josh McCown will start the Jets' first regular season game.

(ELSA/GETTY IMAGES)

Christian Hackenberg replaced McCown for one play, a handoff that resulted in a holding penalty. McCown then returned to the game and nearly threw a pick-six. Eagles cornerback Jaylen Watkins jumped the route and should have secured an interception, but he dropped the ball.

The drive ended with a 28-yard field goal from Chandler Catanzaro.

1 minute ago, JETSfaninNE said:

ugghh I don't want to go with cantanzaro, give Martin the rest of the half to get ready to kick a lot in a couple weeks

Insanity if they go with Cantanzaro at this point.  Martin has out-kicked him all pre-season and has a great leg.  My hope is that they traded for the LS because they were teammates at Duke and Martin has the job won.

1 minute ago, Mogglez said:

At work but looking at the box stats Elijah McGuire seems like he's having a fantastic game.  I loved that pick?  Anyone got a quick summary?

he beasted a few long runs with huge holes.  Made most of his yardage on probably 3 plays i think.  After his longest run which put us down in the redzone I think they hung up his cleats for the night. 

I thought the Jets were smart all of the pre-season not playing McCown (who is injury prone and 38). So I am surprised they played him tonight after naming him the starter. In a game for backups and third stringers and so he gets injured. But came back. As for an almost interception and pick 6 it doesn't count. And that's the bottom line. 

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I thought the Jets were smart all of the pre-season not playing McCown (who is injury prone and 38). So I am surprised they played him tonight after naming him the starter in the 4th preseason game. A game for backups and third stringers and he so he gets injured. But came back. As for an almost interception and pick 6 it doesn't count. And that's the bottom line. 

Granted, boht the Jets and Philly Defense were playign their starters I think from what I gathered (I admittedly wasn't paying full attention but the whole starting Oline was in there with McCown)

5 minutes ago, Gen X Jet said:

Here we go with the softball interview 

Nobody will ever say Mike Maccagnan lights up the room. But the bland nothingness demeanor of a perfect go along get along Woody Johnson employee, yes, he has that in spades. 

Archived