Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Maxman

Petty on why he didn't play last night

Recommended Posts

 

New York Jets QB Bryce Petty, 8.31

 

On if he was able to play tonight if needed…

No, we did the evaluation pre-game and the coaches felt like it wasn’t where I needed to be, so I just wanted to have another week of treatment and be ready for next week.

 

On if he expects to be ready to play next week if needed…

Yeah, that’s the goal, to be ready by Week One.

 

On what needs to change for him to be able to play again…

Yeah, it just happened four days ago, five days ago. This is a timing injury, so if this game was on a Sunday and not on a Thursday, I’d be fine, but just a short week and didn’t have a whole lot of time to regroup, but it will get better each and every day.

 

On if he feels his performance this training camp was enough to win the back-up job…

That’s for (coach) to decide. All we can do is go out there and put our best foot forward and try to move the ball and put points up on the board. I thought, collectively, we got better each and every week and that’s all you want to do. That’s all you care about.

 

On if he has any family affected by Hurricane Harvey…

I don’t. I have a lot of friends that I played with at Baylor that have been though, so tough deal. But, it’s outstanding to see the outflowing of support from people from everywhere and especially with the NFL teams giving money, so my heart and prayers go out to all those affected.

 

On his view on the receiving corps…

It’s (talented). It can be a daunting system to a young guy coming in, so I thought they’ve done a great job just from day to day of accepting that it’s a process and learning. Coach Morton is hard on them. He’s hard on everybody, which is good. It’s good for us, understanding that there’s an expectation of where we need to be, but I thought each of those guys have done a great job from Week One of OTAs to Week One of training camp and on to now.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

I think it will be 1) McCown 2) Petty 3) Hackenberg

Smart making sure Petty heals up for the opener. I think the Jets should keep 3 QBs active each week. Really think they are going to need them with this line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Once his knee is healed he should get to start a few games, period. McCown doesn't look like a 15 year veteran, I know it was only 2 series but he looks like trash. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Stark said:

Once his knee is healed he should get to start a few games, period. McCown doesn't look like a 15 year veteran, I know it was only 2 series but he looks like trash. 

He will. McCown isn't going to hold up for long, even if he plays well. He will get hurt. Next man up.

Shocker but all 3 QBs will get their chance this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree we will see all 3, unfortunately our line doesn't look great. 

I am on the Petty us until he shows he is worse than McCown, which i think is virtually impossible for any qb to show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ASH1962 said:

I don't see how any of the 3 guys we have can survive this season with our OL.

so true.  imo both petty and hack can play if they are kept clean.  mccown?  for a 15 year pro he sure made a bad decision with that throw to the flat.  and anyone who is complaining about hack's mechanics had better not look too closely on mccown's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Strangely enough, Petty not playing was actually somewhat of a good sign.  It shows they would rather err on the side of caution with his health.

As soon as Hack came out, I immediately thought to myself that if Petty was playing and still couldn't get reps ahead of Hack at that point, that was telling you everything you need to know about what the team thinks of him.  But when it was simply a matter of Petty getting rested and Hack playing the rest of the game, it might actually be saying quite the opposite.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maxman said:

I think it will be 1) McCown 2) Petty 3) Hackenberg

Smart making sure Petty heals up for the opener. I think the Jets should keep 3 QBs active each week. Really think they are going to need them with this line.

One smart choice doth not erase the purely idiotic move of putting McCown out there. 

From RotoWorld:

"Jets try to get McCown hurt, nearly succeed"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ASH1962 said:

I don't see how any of the 3 guys we have can survive this season with our OL.

Criminal O-Line neglect. It's a Jets Tradition beginning with the Curse of Pete Kendall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jgb said:

Criminal O-Line neglect. It's a Jets Tradition beginning with the Curse of Pete Kendall.

How do these GMs not see how that Dallas Oline has turned that franchise around? Or how the Pats bringing back Scarnechia & firing the idiot that was coaching the Jets Oline when Rex was here kept Brady upright to win another Super Bowl.

I don't know, it's like they make this stuff out to be rocket science. Just because you've been in football a long time doesn't make you a player personnel expert! Rex proved that here.Even Parcells had a lousy draft track record. It's not rocket science. 

Ive said this before, the Jets could have taken a dart board, put best available players from Kiper/McShay/Mayock gave a monkey a qualude & a joint and let him throw darts 🎯 in 2014 & we probably would have had a better draft than Idzik did! This isn't hyperbole, it's the truth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Jetster said:

How do these GMs not see how that Dallas Oline has turned that franchise around? Or how the Pats bringing back Scarnechia & firing the idiot that was coaching the Jets Oline when Rex was here kept Brady upright to win another Super Bowl.

I don't know, it's like they make this stuff out to be rocket science. Just because you've been in football a long time doesn't make you a player personnel expert! Rex proved that here.Even Parcells had a lousy draft track record. It's not rocket science. 

Ive said this before, the Jets could have taken a dart board, put best available players from Kiper/McShay/Mayock gave a monkey a qualude & a joint and let him throw darts 🎯 in 2014 & we probably would have had a better draft than Idzik did! This isn't hyperbole, it's the truth!

I agree man, I agree. But there's a lot of geniuses here who say "oh but you just can't take a guard before pick 20" or "you can find Oline talent in rounds 4+" Well that strategy hasn't worked AT ALL for the Jets. The best Olinemen we had in last 10 years were all... drumroll... ROUND 1 SELECTIONS! Coincidence? Nope! 37 consecutive defensive round 1 picks have led to the most historically bad offense ever. It's not a coincidence. It's incompetence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×