Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Lizard King

Do MacCagnan and Bowles have the safest jobs in the NFL?

Recommended Posts

With our owner away for the next 3.5 years and his brother having just stepped into the business with, let's face it, no credentials whatsoever, probably let alone a clue how to manage.. & MacCagnan and Bowles reporting directly to ownership each, do we have any reason whatsoever to think that there will be real front office or coaching moves made while Woody is gone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
4 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

How many of these stupid threads about Mac/Bowles job security do we need? We get it a bunch fans want them fired for having a losing season last year and then trying to rebuild. 

I appreciate your optimism. Spend a few minutes reading the following thread and then swing back over here. 

http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/133474-interesting-53-from-cimini/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bowles has to go. Simply put he is a genial simpleton. I am sorry but clock management and being able to make rudimentary halftime adjustments are a prerequisite to be HC in the NFL. They just are.

Macc... well his double safety move better show some promise this season or he should go too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

I appreciate your optimism. Spend a few minutes reading the following thread and then swing back over here. 

http://forums.jetnation.com/topic/133474-interesting-53-from-cimini/

 

I'm sorry I didn't mean it to be so negative, it's just that season starts next week and I am trying to feel a little optimistic. I honestly believe Mac had a strong draft this year and I hope he gets the opportunity to see it through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

I'm sorry I didn't mean it to be so negative, it's just that season starts next week and I am trying to feel a little optimistic. I honestly believe Mac had a strong draft this year and I hope he gets the opportunity to see it through.

No harm no foul. I respectively disagree however. Not to mention I don't think there is any ownership in any real sense for the next three years. It's like the team is sitting in limbo with coach and GM both being given a pass until Woody gets back. Wtf does Chris Johnson know about football? Google the guy it's scary how nothing pops up for Chris Johnson Jets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JetsFanatic said:

I'm sorry I didn't mean it to be so negative, it's just that season starts next week and I am trying to feel a little optimistic. I honestly believe Mac had a strong draft this year and I hope he gets the opportunity to see it through.

Everyone thinks they had a strong draft before the guys take the field.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, JetsFanatic said:

How many of these stupid threads about Mac/Bowles job security do we need? We get it a bunch fans want them fired for having a losing season last year and then trying to rebuild. 

If you want to talk about stupid threads look in the mirror for this utterly stupid post.  You can't just blanket say they won, then they lost now they are rebuilding so they should still be employed.  you have to actually look at the jobs they are doing that they are paid to do.

 

Is Todd Bowles a quality head football coach.  Is he a good game manger, do his payers always play hard for him.  Does he have a good grasp of his team and know who to hire for his coaching staff?

Does Mike Macacgnan make wise Fa choices, does he draft well, is he handling the contracts and player perosnall side really well?

All of this is even more important if you are 'rebuilding'

so far Todd Bowles has proven to be a sub par head football coach in a number of areas.  Mike Macagnam has had far too many fails in his drafting and FA moves.  These are the reasons people want them fired, they have done a sh*tty job so far and unless they have a huge turn around they will keep on doing a sh*tty job.

Fans are willing to go through a rebuild but they want some confidence that the crew in charge by [past performance is not going to screw it up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How busy do you guys really think Woody is going be? In Jet land when a guy gets a new job the internet and telephones cease to be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2017 at 1:25 PM, Lizard King said:

With our owner away for the next 3.5 years and his brother having just stepped into the business with, let's face it, no credentials whatsoever,

And what were Woody's credentials besides winning the lucky sperm contest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2017 at 1:46 PM, JetsFanatic said:

Actually, Marvin Lewis seems to have the safest job in the NFL.

Maybe it's because he makes the playoffs sometimes and isn't a totally inept waste of time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2017 at 1:40 PM, Lizard King said:

No harm no foul. I respectively disagree however. Not to mention I don't think there is any ownership in any real sense for the next three years. It's like the team is sitting in limbo with coach and GM both being given a pass until Woody gets back. Wtf does Chris Johnson know about football? Google the guy it's scary how nothing pops up for Chris Johnson Jets. 

And Woody knows football?  This is the same guy who made us take a pass on Russell Wilson because we traded for Tim Tebow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2017 at 1:39 PM, JetsFanatic said:

I'm sorry I didn't mean it to be so negative, it's just that season starts next week and I am trying to feel a little optimistic. I honestly believe Mac had a strong draft this year and I hope he gets the opportunity to see it through.

What in god's green earth would give you optimism for this coming season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, peebag said:

What in god's green earth would give you optimism for this coming season?

Those amazing safeties we drafted with both the first and second round picks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe

Woody broke his promise to mangini over favre so who knows

It would be cool if we didn't act like children and buy billboards and air banners

Let's not contribute to the sh*t show

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2017 at 2:46 PM, JetsFanatic said:

Actually, Marvin Lewis seems to have the safest job in the NFL.

I was listening to NFL Sirius last month and Marvin Lewis came up.  Someone asked why Mike Brown does not fire him for having such a bad playoff record.  The response of the host was that MB knows it would be hard to replace Marvin Lewis with someone better, so he sticks with him.

I think given Woody's history he is in a similar spot.  Part of the ability to find someone better is finding someone who would taken the job.  And then he gets to fire 2 more guys and eat a year's pay.

I am not banking on them getting fired, even though you can say at this point they serve it.

I think in four months, we will have a better idea of where these guys stand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Watching Hard Knocks Dirk Koetter is a breath of fresh air to see as a HC wish the Jets had someone like him.

Also **** Rex Ryan for screwing up the tank job in 2014, and **** Woody, and Idzik for not firing his ass with 4 weeks to play to make sure it was completed to finish, and **** Ben Roethlisberger for not showing up after the Jets bye week, and losing to that sh*t show of a team the Jets put on the field in 2014!

WHY?

Because Winston is the real mother F'N deal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you are tanking, you are hitting the reset button. If you are REALLY tanking. Nobody is safe.

If you are tanking with a (wink, nod) agreement in place.  That "agreement" is only as good as the way the wind is blowing at that moment. 

If Bowles somehow finds a way to be a good coach (LOL) and keep his guys competitive and the Jets are not embarrassed and ridiculed...He stays.

If Macc has his players develop and show improvement...he stays. 

The biggest problem is that the HC and GM are not tied to one another.  Bowles can keep his job by McCown, Kearse, Forte and Kerley showing up and producing because their careers are on the line. Macc can keep his job if Petty/Hack and Anderson/Stewart/Hansen/McGuire/Leggett/Adams/Maye show up and produce as rookies/young players. 

Once again the dysfunction levels will determine the next steps.  Idiot/Absentee owners are a bitch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Maybe it's because he makes the playoffs sometimes and isn't a totally inept waste of time.

It wasn't always that way . There was a time when the vast majority of football fans thought Marvin Lewis was what they think Todd Bowles is .  To some extent, some still do .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/1/2017 at 2:30 PM, JetsFanatic said:

How many of these stupid threads about Mac/Bowles job security do we need? We get it a bunch fans want them fired for having a losing season last year and then trying to rebuild. 

Homers gonna homer.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Watching Hard Knocks Dirk Koetter is a breath of fresh air to see as a HC wish the Jets had someone like him.

Also **** Rex Ryan for screwing up the tank job in 2014, and **** Woody, and Idzik for not firing his ass with 4 weeks to play to make sure it was completed to finish, and **** Ben Roethlisberger for not showing up after the Jets bye week, and losing to that sh*t show of a team the Jets put on the field in 2014!

WHY?

Because Winston is the real mother F'N deal!

Would like Winston or Mariota as our QB, for sure. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am more interested in what got Idzik fired.  Presumably Idzik's plan in 2014 was similar to ours today.  Stock up with young players through the draft and get rid of the coach that he didn't pick. The plan failed on a couple of levels.  The draft was historically bad.  Did that kill him off?  They didn't tank well enough.  They lost out on the QB bounty at the top of the 2015 draft.  There also was that press conference disaster.  Idzik didn't seem capable of putting together a coherent thought.  That had to hurt.  Knowing which of those things (or the value allocated to each that) got him canned could give some insight into this coming offseason.  It wasn't the record.  Nobody looked at that team with no CB and thought playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am more interested in what got Idzik fired.  Presumably Idzik's plan in 2014 was similar to ours today.  Stock up with young players through the draft and get rid of the coach that he didn't pick. The plan failed on a couple of levels.  The draft was historically bad.  Did that kill him off?  They didn't tank well enough.  They lost out on the QB bounty at the top of the 2015 draft.  There also was that press conference disaster.  Idzik didn't seem capable of putting together a coherent thought.  That had to hurt.  Knowing which of those things (or the value allocated to each that) got him canned could give some insight into this coming offseason.  It wasn't the record.  Nobody looked at that team with no CB and thought playoffs.

I think it was the fire Idzik banners being flown over Flo Park 🤷‍♀️ 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I am more interested in what got Idzik fired.  Presumably Idzik's plan in 2014 was similar to ours today.  Stock up with young players through the draft and get rid of the coach that he didn't pick. The plan failed on a couple of levels.  The draft was historically bad.  Did that kill him off?  They didn't tank well enough.  They lost out on the QB bounty at the top of the 2015 draft.  There also was that press conference disaster.  Idzik didn't seem capable of putting together a coherent thought.  That had to hurt.  Knowing which of those things (or the value allocated to each that) got him canned could give some insight into this coming offseason.  It wasn't the record.  Nobody looked at that team with no CB and thought playoffs.

Lots of GMs come in and tank the prior regime's roster so they can create the foundation to build their own team. Idzik didn't just make bad decisions in the draft. All his decisions were awful and developed no plan. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not like Woody was actually studiously making these decisions himself. He has football people who basically tell him what they think and he rubber stamps what they recommend. Bowles at the very least cannot stay on. He has never validated any of the high praise people heaped on him when he was hired. I don't see progress, I don't see potential, it's time to cut him loose. I don't think he will last the season. If we get off to a bad start he may lose the locker room entirely, if it isn't already lost. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×