Keto Thread

Lizard King

I never really took diet into consideration, ran track and swam in college so I essentially lived on carbs, protein shakes and meat, but starting a surgical residency a little over a year ago I have been trying anything I can find to increase my energy, stay healthy all while having less free hours than I have ever had in my life. 

Couple of things that I ran into that was giving me real problems: it was tough for me to find healthy keto snacks that weren't filled with sugar substitutes, weren't pork rinds or basically just a smaller portion of what I ate for lunch or dinner. I have always had three large meals, but had a snack between, for roughly five meals a day. In my college days, I would simply fill them with a protein bar, shake etc. If anyone has any homemade bars or ideas that aren't meant for treats, but just smaller meals that would be great.

The other issue that I had was I have too cook in bulk, as I work 6 days a week and at the very minimum 12 hours a day, so I pretty much only have time to throw food on the stove at night or in the morning and not cook every day. It has always been easier to do this with bulk chicken, fish etc. but also pasta, rice, potatos.  I love spinach, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, but haven't found enough keto bulk recipes to keep my from getting bored of the same meal. 

What do you guys have for breakfast? I always used to toss some pasta/rice/sweet potatos and scrambled eggs and meat on the stove in the morning, or reheat whatever I had the night before, or oatmeal etc. but on Keto it was eggs, meat and cheese. I had a difficult time varying my breakfast selections and that was a huge problem for me. I tried different smoothies, but even if it were a 1000 calorie smoothie (almond milk, protein powder, peanut butter etc.) just isn't as filling as an actual meal. 

Anyway, I didn't really notice any difference in energy, but I'm also in a unique environment where every single person around me is exhausted 24 hours a day, so maybe it's just not something that can overcome the sh*tty scenario of a surgical residency. I also can't survive off of coffee to do my job effectively right now, hopefully that will change in a few years. 

I have also dabbled in carb cycling, but I think the issue always comes with that I don't have the time to figure out my macros and which days i'm working out etc. Anyway, glad to see everyone is eating healthier and sharing their stories, definitely refreshing to read. Best of luck. 

On 9/2/2017 at 4:17 PM, The Crusher said:

Yeah you are hard core. I spent too much of my time in the 80's suffer eating for fitness. Brewers yeast, 24-36 egg whites, dry as dust albacore tuna,sweet potatoes/ yams all wash down with room temperature water from an old plastic milk container. 

At this point I'm very fortunate to have the lovely Mrs Crusher doing the footwork,  reading the books, doing the Facebook and talking with few of her friends that were successful. She has made a few silly recipes so far. Deviled eggs, jalapeño poppers and Parmesan encrusted tilapia. Really good stuff. It's good for us because it's food the kids will eat too. 

Tilapia is trash fish. Get a better fish with less toxins in it. 

On 9/3/2017 at 10:02 AM, Lizard King said:

Well, I have to postpone my foray back into keto for now. My whole fridge is literally stocked full of lasagna and other pasta dishes from caring friends. It's virtually impossible at the moment. I'm going to live vicariously through all of you. 

Eat that sh*t bro

I follow Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrma at about 75% commitment level. Plus extra animal based protein and soups. All the sh*t I read about muscle mass building says simple sugar post-workout helps protein do it's job.

How does Keto align to body building and cross training?

1 hour ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

I never really took diet into consideration, ran track and swam in college so I essentially lived on carbs, protein shakes and meat, but starting a surgical residency a little over a year ago I have been trying anything I can find to increase my energy, stay healthy all while having less free hours than I have ever had in my life. 

Couple of things that I ran into that was giving me real problems: it was tough for me to find healthy keto snacks that weren't filled with sugar substitutes, weren't pork rinds or basically just a smaller portion of what I ate for lunch or dinner. I have always had three large meals, but had a snack between, for roughly five meals a day. In my college days, I would simply fill them with a protein bar, shake etc. If anyone has any homemade bars or ideas that aren't meant for treats, but just smaller meals that would be great.

The other issue that I had was I have too cook in bulk, as I work 6 days a week and at the very minimum 12 hours a day, so I pretty much only have time to throw food on the stove at night or in the morning and not cook every day. It has always been easier to do this with bulk chicken, fish etc. but also pasta, rice, potatos.  I love spinach, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, but haven't found enough keto bulk recipes to keep my from getting bored of the same meal. 

What do you guys have for breakfast? I always used to toss some pasta/rice/sweet potatos and scrambled eggs and meat on the stove in the morning, or reheat whatever I had the night before, or oatmeal etc. but on Keto it was eggs, meat and cheese. I had a difficult time varying my breakfast selections and that was a huge problem for me. I tried different smoothies, but even if it were a 1000 calorie smoothie (almond milk, protein powder, peanut butter etc.) just isn't as filling as an actual meal. 

Anyway, I didn't really notice any difference in energy, but I'm also in a unique environment where every single person around me is exhausted 24 hours a day, so maybe it's just not something that can overcome the sh*tty scenario of a surgical residency. I also can't survive off of coffee to do my job effectively right now, hopefully that will change in a few years. 

I have also dabbled in carb cycling, but I think the issue always comes with that I don't have the time to figure out my macros and which days i'm working out etc. Anyway, glad to see everyone is eating healthier and sharing their stories, definitely refreshing to read. Best of luck. 

Wow, that's a lot work around. The biggest key I would think is to resist sugar, processed food, and the refined flour. Sardines, Salmon, simple chick pea, or bean, salads, hard boiled eggs, quality cheese, simple salads with that stuff; over night oatmeal w/ flax, almond butter, blueberries, etc., Nuts and seeds, all to carry you.

Smoothies. A simple smoothie with frozen chopped kale, strawberries or blueberries, and ground flax seeds, in coconut water is really easy to make and takes little time. And get a good meal with quality protein and salad or vegetables once a day.

A slow cooker or pressure cooker to make those big meals and to freeze portions

I am in no way as busy as you, and I can prolly afford to lose some more weight, but when I'm in keto I can go for a swim in the ocean or fish hard before i eat anything and I'm fine. But I have to make sure I have something to eat at the right time, usually several hours into my day.

Also, I like to keep it simple stupid, and I have don't really have a problem with a limited variety in my food either.

Good luck. Prolly all things you've considered but hope it helps..

1 hour ago, Integrity28 said:

I follow Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrma at about 75% commitment level. Plus extra animal based protein and soups. All the sh*t I read about muscle mass building says simple sugar post-workout helps protein do it's job.

How does Keto align to body building and cross training?

Keto seems to do well for cross fit and other endurance based activities. Though I haven't seen much an effect on my training after two weeks except mentally Im looking forward to them more. Body building ratios will always favor proteins. I'm doing it for my focus and fix my brain. 

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Taste good to me. She did a grouper tonight with this radish, bacon, sour cream concoction. So yummy . The keto recipes are solid. Plus my brain feels better 

I'm not talking about taste, just research tilapia a bit - they aren't 'clean' fish.

Mskes no sense to go through rigor of dieting, then eat a fish known for mercury and pollution.

6 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Keto seems to do well for cross fit and other endurance based activities. Though I haven't seen much an effect on my training after two weeks except mentally Im looking forward to them more. Body building ratios will always favor proteins. I'm doing it for my focus and fix my brain. 

Really depends on what activities you're talking about. For climbing and serious hiking, no carbs isn't an option. For things like distance running and biking, or combat sports like boxing and grappling, my experience and the experiences of people that I train with is that it's doable but not ideal. There is an extra gear you need to be able to find when it comes to energy with any of those things and that gear doesn't exist if you are on keto. If you are doing something like running a marathon or climbing a mountain, you need carbs.

4 hours ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Really depends on what activities you're talking about. For climbing and serious hiking, no carbs isn't an option. For things like distance running and biking, or combat sports like boxing and grappling, my experience and the experiences of people that I train with is that it's doable but not ideal. There is an extra gear you need to be able to find when it comes to energy with any of those things and that gear doesn't exist if you are on keto. If you are doing something like running a marathon or climbing a mountain, you need carbs.

Fairly new to this so I have no problem with believing any of that. I just know some cross fit and strongman folks that have tinkered with it. Haven't really followed up with them. At day 15 Most of what I notice is my typically groggy feeling in my noggin has eased up. I don't push myself in my work outs enough to see any change in an extra gear. I do imagine when and if I get to that point the need for carbs will present itself. 

9 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

I'm not talking about taste, just research tilapia a bit - they aren't 'clean' fish.

Mskes no sense to go through rigor of dieting, then eat a fish known for mercury and pollution.

It does if you don't buy the groceries and the person that did also cooked them. I will inform Mrs Crusher. 

27 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

It does if you don't buy the groceries and the person that did also cooked them. I will inform Mrs Crusher. 

I can second the tilapia thing. My friend is a chef in a nice restaurant in NYC and said that tilapia are very dirty fish. They basically are raised in tanks where they swim in endless circles and eat each other's sh*t all day. 

22 minutes ago, Lizard King said:

I can second the tilapia thing. My friend is a chef in a nice restaurant in NYC and said that tilapia are very dirty fish. They basically are raised in tanks where they swim in endless circles and eat each other's sh*t all day. 

So basically NY Jets beat writers? 

14 hours ago, The Crusher said:

Taste good to me. She did a grouper tonight with this radish, bacon, sour cream concoction. So yummy . The keto recipes are solid. Plus my brain feels better 

That's the biggest reason I am starting.   I can not concentrate.   Takes me forever to do paperwork for my job.   I work for myself, so I can't get in trouble, just takes me longer than it should.

One thing I like doing now, grilling, or slow cooking food on a Sunday.   Some real good chicken recipes, you can do fish, whatever.   I make a lot and have lunch for a few days.

5 hours ago, Lizard King said:

Yeah.  I don't think tilapia is inherently dirty, but the way they raise it can be insane.  I had a friend in Eritrea and they introduced there and found they could raise an insane amount in empty 50 gallon drums.  The scary thing was, the fish seemed fine and healthy, but they were being raised completely on top of one another in old oil drums.  Perfectly healthy I am sure.  <cough, cough>

Was doing Keto for almost 2 months, very strict. Was adding in Intermittent Fasting with it and felt awesome. No hunger, no real Keto Flu (I cheated and used Keto Max OS as a suppliment). Was watching Matt and Megha from Keto connect YouTube channel and Jason Whittrock etc. Had the guys on the station on board....

Had lost 22 lbs, was lifting HEAVY (I'm a powerlifter) and was even lifting during fasting periods. Did a few 24 hour fasts (fat bombs after lifting only). 

And then we moved. Went to sh*t. Fell off the wagon......hard. So far have gained 5-6 lbs back. And now......Irma. 

So as soon as things settle down, mynwife and I get into a consistent schedule, I'll be back at it, and Im starting a training program for an RPS Powerlifting Meet on Veterans Day. Will keep you posted. Want to gwt stronger while dropping about 20 more lbs. 

• 1 month later...

On 9/2/2017 at 12:50 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Have you tried any of that strongman sh*t you used to do while on the diet? Wondering if it would make a difference for you guys. I can't imagine it's even an option for pros.

So I'm six weeks in and this is what I noticed... My mental acuity and ability to focus is tremendous. I have been able to sit down and read 20 pages in a book non stop for the first time in about five years. My weight loss has been pretty reasonable. I'm averaging 1.5-2.5pounds a week. (started at 290 goal is 250)

My training has been pretty interesting. The day to day stuff has not changed too much at all. My interval training that I do has been pretty solid. But the day a week I go heavy and especially when I do compound movements at an intense level has fallen off.  I trained with my son the other day pushing a power sled pretty well loaded and doing some dead lifting. I started out fine but after the second set I felt the bottom fall out quick. I didn't have the muscle pain(burn) like you do with the lactic acid build up associated with glycogen depletion but I just had nothing left. Got some dizziness so I drank the electrolyte solution I had and that real helped but I would agree with you that it's not a great diet for endurance. I went back at it after that and was able to train but didn't feel like trying to go hard again.

Im going to try again next Tuesday and keep track of it to see if anything improves the longer I go into Ketosis. Sleep and ability to relax has also been tremendously positive.

2 hours ago, The Crusher said:

So I'm six weeks in and this is what I noticed... My mental acuity and ability to focus is tremendous. I have been able to sit down and read 20 pages in a book non stop for the first time in about five years. My weight loss has been pretty reasonable. I'm averaging 1.5-2.5pounds a week. (started at 290 goal is 250)

My training has been pretty interesting. The day to day stuff has not changed too much at all. My interval training that I do has been pretty solid. But the day a week I go heavy and especially when I do compound movements at an intense level has fallen off.  I trained with my son the other day pushing a power sled pretty well loaded and doing some dead lifting. I started out fine but after the second set I felt the bottom fall out quick. I didn't have the muscle pain(burn) like you do with the lactic acid build up associated with glycogen depletion but I just had nothing left. Got some dizziness so I drank the electrolyte solution I had and that real helped but I would agree with you that it's not a great diet for endurance. I went back at it after that and was able to train but didn't feel like trying to go hard again.

Im going to try again next Tuesday and keep track of it to see if anything improves the longer I go into Ketosis. Sleep and ability to relax has also been tremendously positive.

That was my exact experience. My energy would just die. That extra reserve tank I am usually able to find simply wasn't there. 

On 9/5/2017 at 11:37 PM, Jet_Engine1 said:

Was doing Keto for almost 2 months, very strict. Was adding in Intermittent Fasting with it and felt awesome. No hunger, no real Keto Flu (I cheated and used Keto Max OS as a suppliment). Was watching Matt and Megha from Keto connect YouTube channel and Jason Whittrock etc. Had the guys on the station on board....

Had lost 22 lbs, was lifting HEAVY (I'm a powerlifter) and was even lifting during fasting periods. Did a few 24 hour fasts (fat bombs after lifting only). 

And then we moved. Went to sh*t. Fell off the wagon......hard. So far have gained 5-6 lbs back. And now......Irma. 

So as soon as things settle down, mynwife and I get into a consistent schedule, I'll be back at it, and Im starting a training program for an RPS Powerlifting Meet on Veterans Day. Will keep you posted. Want to gwt stronger while dropping about 20 more lbs. 

I'm noticing the fasting periods in between meals is a big part of the weight loss. I try to go 8-10 hours between each meal. I'm going to look into the supplement and the show you recommend. Thanks and good luck starting up again. 

Archived