another view of trade

jetfan39

I've seen roughly three people upset by this trade and their real reasons are as follows 

1) Been ripping Mac all off-season and said he'd get nothing for Sheldon so having to deflect/create new narrative.

2) Was probably being fed stories from the locker room by Sheldon for his stories.

Any person who thought at 2pm yesterday we would get a 2nd round pick AND a player (although Kearse isnt very good) is lying.

Mac did a great job to maximize value for a player, who while talented, the whole league knew we needed to trade.  Not sure how its possible to criticize him at all for this deal.

10 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Any person who thought at 2pm yesterday we would get a 2nd round pick AND a player (although Kearse isnt very good) is lying.

Mac did a great job to maximize value for a player, who while talented, the whole league knew we needed to trade.  Not sure how its possible to criticize him at all for this deal.

Great post, you are 100% correct. But there are some posters here who are upset that they continually get rejected by "The View" who will complain about everything. 

That draft pick makes this a crap shoot. Sure it is more than they would have obtained in a FA walk by SR, I agree. However you have Macc choosing the groceries around here and his selections are questionable. Good trade by the Jets here. Still so many mishaps by this GM that it may not mean much and could be worse if the draft pick is not good. 

Furthemore, the Jets were not able to retain SR who is a better player than Mo. If viewed in a vacuum good; in reality idk.

Wheh de hoes at? Eff dis game, gonna go drive my car at 600 mph, get da kid and smoke some weed.

Anyone who isn't glad this cancer is gone, is not paying attention. I detest the current regime as much as, or more than anyone else having seen what this team has become, but I still have to give props to Mac for getting a 2 and Kearse. That is a good job. That is getting something huge out of what could have possibly been nothing.

How we got here was not good roster management.

But that does not mean you don't try and correct your mistakes.  That is what Macc did.

Macc has done some good and some bad, but he appears to be learning on the job.  Given that Woody hires first time GMs and coaches and puts them in a messed up system, this is basically what you hope for.   With Coples already leaving, at that pick you take Beasley because you had Shel and Mo.  Either that or let Mo walk.  

Unless we bring Parcells back or do something similar I have a tough time wanting to fire Macc and even Bowles.  They are good flawed guys working in a flawed system.   I like what the Jaguars did-change the model and employ people who have been successful before.  The 49ers did something interesting.  If we fire MaccBowles and replace the with another version of the same thing, then they too need 2 years to figure out Woody.  Hopefully the guys we have now have figured it out and can make some progress.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Any person who thought at 2pm yesterday we would get a 2nd round pick AND a player * * (although Kearse isnt very good) * *  is lying.

* * AR-150209587.jpg&updated=201502032005&im * * 

:o

4 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Sure it is more than they would have obtained in a FA walk by SR, I agree.

Chances are we'd not get anything for Sheldon if he walked, given how few players will be FA next year vs. how many we may bring in.

9 hours ago, AFJF said:

I've seen roughly three people upset by this trade and their real reasons are as follows 

1) Been ripping Mac all off-season and said he'd get nothing for Sheldon so having to deflect/create new narrative.

2) Was probably being fed stories from the locker room by Sheldon for his stories.

I'm upset by it because Sheldon is so much better then Mo, and he should have been signed long term, and Mo cut after season.

Just now, Lupz27 said:

I'm upset by it because Sheldon is so much better then Mo, and he should have been signed long term, and Mo cut after season.

In time, we may find that it was better to do that than what they did.  If they had done that, and Shheldon got popped for more weed or a DUI, every single person calling for that approach, would be demaning Mac be fired for a extending a known problem child and cutting Mo who has never been in trouble off the field.

5 hours ago, BCJet said:

Yeah I read the first page of the thread today.  People were begging for a 3rd and not even really expecting it, let alone a second.  Nothing to bitch about here, but alas, jets fans

21 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

That would have been the single worst thing they could have done.  It would be a matter of exchanging one contract risk for an even bigger one, spending excessively more money, and throwing away everything they have gotten in return.  Even if deferring to your massive overstatement regarding the difference in talent levels, every thing about those combination of moves would have been wrong.

6 hours ago, BCJet said:

can't say it was a great job but under the circumstances.....to me a great trade is when the team at least gets the player's draft position back.  they got a low second (since seattle will be picking in the high 50's) for a guy they picked in the teens.  and the real differential is that they got a high 50's pick instead of a potential high 80's assuming they got a compensatory pick.

Just now, rangerous said:

can't say it was a great job but under the circumstances.....to me a great trade is when the team at least gets the player's draft position back.  they got a low second (since seattle will be picking in the high 50's) for a guy they picked in the teens.  and the real differential is that they got a high 50's pick instead of a potential high 80's assuming they got a compensatory pick.

It wouldhave been impossible to get a high to mid 1st rounder back for Richardson.  He talented but has a lot of baggage.

23 hours ago, rangerous said:

To get a high comp pick they'd have to basically not sign anyone in FA next year.

Archived