Sign in to follow this  
Joe W. Namath

Scouting the qbs for next year thread

17 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Dependingo it wouldn't.  I'm a fan of Lamar's but if he can't stand tall in the pocket, he won't last long in the league. Look at Kaepernick, RGIII, Manziel, etc .  If you want to win a championship in this league, you need a pocket passing QB.  If Jackson proves he can do that, then I'm all for taking him.  So far his progress is good.  That said, I want to see him go through progressions, read more than one half of the field before taking off and running before we blow a top 3 pick on him.  He's firmly my 5th QB behind all of Rosen, Darnold, Rudolph, Falk right now.  Maybe even 6th behind Baker Mayfield too.

Standing tall in the pocket and being tough enough to get the throw off before he is going to get hit are things he is often praised for.

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
18 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

I am watching Jackson now.  For the second week in a row I am very impressed.  Poised, smart decisions, big arm, pretty accurate, mobile etc.  i like him.  

75 yard TD pass he just threw was a thing of beauty.  Avoids the rush and instead of taking off and running, he drops a dime 50 yards downfield hitting the WR in stride for the TD.  Beautiful play.

Watching Lamar Jackson against No. Carolina and he's a tough projection
to the next level:

Pro
- He's an electric athlete with a big arm and terrific speed
- Good accuracy on deep vertical throws

Con
- He's in a "gimmick" offense where he never calls a play or
huddles.  So you have to project if he can call a play, take a snap
from center, make progressions when passing or set protections
- Very scrawny frame
- He looks to run entirely too much opening himself up to punishment
- His athletic ability deceives him into making bad decisions when
under pressure in the pocket.  Which leads to putting the ball in harms
way
- Accuracy on intermediate throws isn't great

I agree.  He has missed a lot of open receivers today.  Handful of highlight reel plays, but he has left a lot plays on the field this afternoon.  

26 minutes ago, KRL said:

Watching Lamar Jackson against No. Carolina and he's a tough projection
to the next level:

Pro
- He's an electric athlete with a big arm and terrific speed
- Good accuracy on deep vertical throws

Con
- He's in a "gimmick" offense where he never calls a play or
huddles.  So you have to project if he can call a play, take a snap
from center, make progressions when passing or set protections
- Very scrawny frame
- He looks to run entirely too much opening himself up to punishment
- His athletic ability deceives him into making bad decisions when
under pressure in the pocket.  Which leads to putting the ball in harms
way
- Accuracy on intermediate throws isn't great

This pretty much nails it.  Great job, as usual, KRL.

I'm a fan of Lamar's, but I just don't see top 5 pick.  I see early 2nd or 3rd...maybe bottom 1st for a team that falls in love and overdrafts him.  He's a guy who needs to be seriously molded into into the player he can ultimately become.  He's still not reading the field as often as I'd like to see him do.  He's looking to run way too quickly.  Instead of standing tall, navigating the pocket, and going through his progressions, he's looking at one guy and if he's covered, he's taking off.  I'm typing this as he runs another one in.  It's great for the highlight reels and makes him such a fun player to watch, but he's missed a ton of open guys today and he needs to continue refining his passing skills.  Ball placement isn't totally there and, as you said, he gets really iffy on intermediate throws, a staple of the NFL.

I'm glad you also brought up the offense too.  This is the same offense that made Tyler Wilson look like a top 5 pick.  Petrino is a great offensive coach, but his system makes guys look a lot better than they are and it is something that needs to be mentioned.

2 hours ago, BCJet said:

Standing tall in the pocket and being tough enough to get the throw off before he is going to get hit are things he is often praised for.

See my recent reply to KRL to get a good feel for what I mean.

Even Jackson's last TD to make it 40-28 wasn't great.  The TE was wide open to the goal

post but Jackson threw behind him where there were defenders and the TE had to make

a difficult catch

8 hours ago, KRL said:

Rudolph is in a straight up "gimmick" offense where he never huddles, looks
to the sideline for the play and claps his hands to snap the ball.  It's
going to take a ton of projection to determine if he can make it at the
next level.  Nice size but I'm not sure about his arm strength

Agreed, kid is very accurate particularly on deep passes, lacks some touch on short passes, and DOES NOT like being pressured at all!  Throw in the gimmick offense without anything elite about his arm, and he is basically Bryce Petty, but with really above average leadership skills, and with some work he can be a good NFL QB with a team that has a great O-line.

I didn't watch Jackson today, BUT my thoughts on him as a pro prospect are your going to have to do what the Falcons did with Vick, run the ball 70% of the time his first 2-3 years, those teams put up prolific team rushing totals, and the other 30% of the time take the 15% WOW did you see what Jackson did then sling it down field for a TD, and the 15% WOW I can't believe Jackson made that decision wtf was he thinking.  You can win this way with the right O-line, complement RB's, AND a OC willing to build around this concept like the Falcons did, and hope come year 3 you can finish the polish work to have Jackson successfully running a more traditional pocket passing oriented offense with obviously still some of the old play book no need to not use his gifts.

So if I drafted Lamar Jackson I'd basically follow the exact script the Falcons used with Vick.  And I think it could work right from the start.

People need to get over whatever it is about Jackson that they dismiss him, because he's a baller.  Mariota, maybe better.  He will definitely be in the conversation.

18 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Shame all these great games are on at roughly the same time, Auburn, Washington, USC, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma all start between 7-8:30 tonight.

Stuck with hurricane coverage on all the network channels. Wish at least one would realize some people need a little break from the same reports hour after hour.they have the ability to break in with importation breaking information 

9 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

People need to get over whatever it is about Jackson that they dismiss him, because he's a baller.  Mariota, maybe better.  He will definitely be in the conversation.

Not even remotely close.

35 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Shame all these great games are on at roughly the same time, Auburn, Washington, USC, Notre Dame, and Oklahoma all start between 7-8:30 tonight.

It's a damn shame.

6 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

kid is a taller mike Vick .  After 2 weeks, he's by far the best college football player in the country . I don't want to say that KRL is wrong, because he might be right about Jackson Calling plays and taking snaps from under center, but I saw that kid today going from one side of the field to the other with his head . I even made a comment about it to my son. He may not be the best pro prospect at QB, but he's the best college football player in the country right now.

1 minute ago, Tinstar said:

Against the rainbows, is not worth watching .

Obviously not the same as A&M but I think any game that our potential guys are playing in are fun. 🤷‍♂️

Max Browne, former USC QB (guy Darnold replaced) and #1 QB recruit is playing against Penn State right now.  Might be mentioning that name again by year's end.  I don't think he'd be a guy we'd target, but anyone wanting to watch some "unknown" names should tune in to that game.

3 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Max Browne, former USC QB (guy Darnold replaced) and #1 QB recruit is playing well against Penn State right now.  Might be mentioning that name again by year's end.  I don't think he'd be a guy we'd target, but anyone wanting to watch some "unknown" names should tune in to that game.

Browne is all kind of awful , i would prefer Hack on him

20 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

Stuck with hurricane coverage on all the network channels. Wish at least one would realize some people need a little break from the same reports hour after hour.they have the ability to break in with importation breaking information 

People need to know that water and gas are in short supply, and there is a lot of traffic leaving town.

They need to know to be very careful if they stay, and that hurricanes are very windy. They may blow stuff around, break windows, and can cause flooding and power outages.

Just now, fusionCA said:

Browne is all kind of awful , i would prefer Hack on him

Not saying I disagree.  I'm just trying to have all sorts of fun on Saturday's with the college games.  I didn't see him actually throw 2 picks.  Tuned in late while he was driving down field.  I should probably recant "playing well" lol.

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Not saying I disagree.  I'm just trying to have all sorts of fun on Saturday's with the college games.  I didn't see him actually throw 2 picks.  Tuned in late while he was driving down field.  I should probably recant "playing well" lol.

I think i'm going to watch South Carolina vs Missouri and TiVo Stanford vs USC .   During breaks, i'll sneak a peek at Auburn vs Clemson .

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

I think i'm going to watch South Carolina vs Missouri and TiVo Stanford vs USC .   During breaks, i'll sneak a peek at Auburn vs Clemson .

If you're trying to multitask games, VIPBOX has links to every single game.  I throw up 2-3 at once usually.