Scouting the qbs for next year thread

Joe W. Namath

On 9/27/2017 at 2:47 PM, ChuckkieB said:

Rest assured, Darnold and Rosen will rise way above the pack of other QB's and be the consensus 1 and 2 picks in the 2018 draft.......but the Jets will do just enough to pick 3rd.  #cursedfranchise

Good. Saquon with third pick and Baker early in the second or use one those 2nd rounders to trade back into the mid to late first to get him. Not a bad plan.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/27/2017 at 12:12 PM, 56mehl56 said:

Let's see what happens when the opposition has a compilation of game film on him and DC's game plan for him. RG III and Kaepernick made lots of teams look foolish early on , it's amazing how DC's catch up to that.

Its funny they are doing the same thing to Darnold now. So far he can't adjust. Looks like he needs another year in CFB.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans, two months ago: You see, Hackenberg is basically a rookie and all of his problems are fixable with some hard work and patience.

Jets fans today: Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen are awful and can’t play.

So sad that you aren't wrong about some posters.

Rosen's INT last night was a bad throw.  One of 45 he attempted.  This is my #1 choice right now and there's a pretty big and widening gap between him and the rest of the field.  This kid feels like another shot at Dan Marino to me.  He can throw all day behind a questionable line without even much of a running game to support him and succeeds FAR more often than not.  I think he would easily be the best QB on our roster right now, and might be the most NFL-ready of the whole bunch.  I cannot fathom what anyone is seeing that makes them not want this kid as our top draft pick.  Sure, things can change and Darnold might vault back into the to slot, but right now, to me, it's Bruin or Bust.

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Jets fans, two months ago: You see, Hackenberg is basically a rookie and all of his problems are fixable with some hard work and patience.

Jets fans today: Sam Darnold and Josh Rosen are awful and can’t play.

Sounds a lot like the NFL people who looked at Dan Marino's step back as a senior(an may be his dabbling in things) and let him go to the late 1st round. This franchise, who ever the GM is next April, cannot overthink this. If Darnold or Rosen is there, that's the pick. 

Looks like the Dolphins may be joining the hunt today. 

23 minutes ago, Bugg said:

Sounds a lot like the NFL people who looked at Dan Marino's step back as a senior(an may be his dabbling in things) and let him go to the late 1st round. This franchise, who ever the GM is next April, cannot overthink this. If Darnold or Rosen is there, that's the pick. 

Looks like the Dolphins may be joining the hunt today. 

For real. Was just thinking he'd be perfect for Miami as the new Sam Darino ... the same style of QB.

Remember when posters told us over and over again Watson is no better than a 4th round talent in the 2018 draft??  Or when the same posters told us he can't be successful because he only throws it 49mph?

Remember when Hackenchise Heads told us that we need to pass on Watson so we can see what we have in Hack first?

It's this thinking by Macc that resulted in us passing on Watson and yet again missing an opportunity for a stud franchise QB. Congrats to the Texans, they have the offensive ROY and something special for the next 10-15 yrs. Could have been ours if Macc was better at his job. Throw in Dalvin Cook and we could have the top two ROY vote getters.

And, no, this is not hindsight as I predicted Watson-Cook finishing 1-2 in offensive ROY before the season started. Many others did as well.

5 hours ago, Pointdexter said:

Remember when posters told us over and over again Watson is no better than a 4th round talent in the 2018 draft??  Or when the same posters told us he can't be successful because he only throws it 49mph?

Remember when Hackenchise Heads told us that we need to pass on Watson so we can see what we have in Hack first?

It's this thinking by Macc that resulted in us passing on Watson and yet again missing an opportunity for a stud franchise QB. Congrats to the Texans, they have the offensive ROY and something special for the next 10-15 yrs. Could have been ours if Macc was better at his job. Throw in Dalvin Cook and we could have the top two ROY vote getters.

And, no, this is not hindsight as I predicted Watson-Cook finishing 1-2 in offensive ROY before the season started. Many others did as well.

yes, watson was certainly available and he's doing pretty well.  just remember it's still early and he's in a good system.  obrien thinks nothing of putting in a different qb if the current guy is not doing well. but at the same time the jets picked an exceptional player in adams albeit at the safety position who should also be a fixture for the next 10 seasons or so. so while a qb has more value than a safety we probably wouldn't be seeing him startthis season.  and remember too that obrien originally started savage.

19 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Mason Rudolph puts his team ahead late. My boy keeps doing big man things.

Rosen lighting up Colorado.

Rudolph might have to be our guy now, no way we're getting Rosen or Darnold. Played ourselves out of getting them

34 minutes ago, King P said:

Rudolph might have to be our guy now, no way we're getting Rosen or Darnold. Played ourselves out of getting them

Him or Falk right now honestly, barring a trade up.

I'm honestly at the point where I'd rather give Garoppolo the cash he's due to get from someone else and pray.  I loved him as a prospect.  It would, in my eyes, right the wrong we made of passing on him.

I think Rudolph and Folk could/should end up fine options, way better than you usually get 3+ QBs into a draft class. 3+ year starters, threw and completed lots of passes, Rudolph is 2-1 in bowl games, both seem to have the tools. 

Rosen 

Darnold?

Rudolph

Folk

Jackson? 

On 10/1/2017 at 8:22 PM, SenorGato said:

I think Rudolph and Folk could/should end up fine options, way better than you usually get 3+ QBs into a draft class. 3+ year starters, threw and completed lots of passes, Rudolph is 2-1 in bowl games, both seem to have the tools. 

Rosen 

Darnold?

Rudolph

Falk

Jackson? 

Agree, I would also add Mayfield and Allen into the mix - plenty of choice (Jets can win a few games and draft a franchise QB)

Rudolph is my favorite of the "second tier" guys - above 60% completion rate, low interception rate, Senior who has won a bunch of games, will check all of the Parcells Rules by draft day - I think Falk and Mayfield will also pass the tuna test

1. Three-year starter
  2. Senior in college
  3. Graduate from college
  4. Start at least 30 games
  5. Win at least 23 games
  6. 2-1 touchdown-to-interception ratio or better
  7. Completion rate of 60 percent or higher

Right now I think Mason Rudolph is going #1.  I don't know what else the guy can do on the field to prove he is the best option.  Unless he has tiny hands, a weak arm, or comes across as an idiot in his interviews, he is going to be a top 3 pick.

Rosen because of his fundamentals and arm, is going in the top 3.

After those two, it gets kind of tricky.  How strong of an arm does Falk have?  Does Mayfield's free style play prevent him from running a pro style offense?  Does Watson's early success bode well for Jackson, a smaller QB with elite athletism?  

What is going on with Darnold?  He will probably be a much better QB once he is in a Pro system.

12 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Him or Falk right now honestly, barring a trade up.

I'm honestly at the point where I'd rather give Garoppolo the cash he's due to get from someone else and pray.  I loved him as a prospect.  It would, in my eyes, right the wrong we made of passing on him.

No reason to pray for him to be good. I think he will be good. And we should definitely dump $ for him. Rookies aren't a sure thing to hit, even more so than people saying Garoppollo is no sure thing as a starter. At least Garoppollo has pro experience and was developed by a hall of fame coach. There's a reason BB didn't trade him this last off season. If he wants to come to us, spend the $ Mac.

People saying oh what free agent would want to come to the Jets? Well if we keep playing the way we are, I think a good amount will.

Sign Garoppollo.

Sign Allen Robinson.

Spend 1st round pick on a LT.

BPA rest of the draft.

Cut Mo.

Extend Claiborne if he can play a full season.

On 02/10/2017 at 1:22 AM, SenorGato said:

Rosen 

Darnold?

Rudolph

Folk

Jackson? 

Start thinking about Ryan Finley & Clayton Thorson as outside shots at present who may very well join that list as Rd 1 contenders once the proper evaluation processes begin. Tape in both is encouraging.

personally the more I see Folk the more I like him *edit* just seen that he's had a bad night against Cal but still...he'll be a very intruiging prospect

26 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

One game doesn't (or it shouldn't) "make" a prospect.  I still like Falk.

Baker Mayfield is having a great game.  He might pass Falk after today.

Thorsen is looking interesting for northwestern.  His receivers drop a lot of balls.

6 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Absolutely.  I'd say after the top 2 it's Mayfield, Falk, Rudolph right now, in that order.  Falk and Mayfield are neck and neck.

Forget NFL prospect wise who do you think is the leader for the Heisman?  Barkley?  Mayfield?  Jackson?  Rudolph?  or someone else?

Archived