Patrick Mahomes

Jack Straw

some thoughts

Mahomes plays in a great system.

He is being well coached.

He has talent around him.

We are not allowed to waste a first round pick on offense.

With all that being said I have been a Jet fan for almost 50 years and never remember ANY of our QB's having a great  training camp/pre-season.

Good news is we can draft anothe QB project next years in round 2 or 4....

I was one of the few screaming for us to draft him. In true ny jets fashion, we passed. For a safety no less.

that clip actually got me angry. Angry at the stupidity of this organization and to a lesser extent, the jaded stupid fan base that's raised to have a loser mentality.

it doesn't matter if it was vs 2 or 3 stringers....the guys decision making, throwing on the run and beautiful deep perfect spirals are off the chain.

this will go down as a worse blunder than passing on Marino. At least we got another decent qb then, now we have a safety. And he's not even looking too good, tbh

9 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Way too early to say that Mahomes (or Watson, or Trubisky) will make it in the league, but it's enormously damning of Maccagnan that literally every QB drafted over the last two years--every single one, including the late-round guys who'll be doing color commentary for Big Sky games in two years--has looked better than Hackenberg.

You SOJF and the lamestream media keep ignoring the fact that Hackenberg (basically a rookie) has risen from a 4th string QB to a 3rd string QB in just one offseason.  Why is no one talking about his progress?  Agenda, much?

7 hours ago, KRL said:

There's way more to the position than stats & highlights against 3rd stringers:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000838828/article/chiefs-gm-mahomes-not-even-close-to-alex-smith

Until fans realize this and try to focus on the "boring" stuff like the mental aspects of the 

position they'll continue to be wrong in their evaluations

You know what would be nice?  If the QBs we drafted were even capable of generating stats & highlights against 3rd stringers...

7 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

48 years and counting we have earned the right to bitch we are the most resilient fans in the NFL we are diehards and loyal to our team, sadly fans like you would rather come here and ridicule other fans instead of offering anything worthwhile to any discussion.......

Patrick Mahomes is not on the Jets game over discussion over. 

The problem is you bitch before a kid gets his first NFL action, you are insufferable... 

Fans like me is what this team needs, a clue and a little patience!

25 minutes ago, tfine said:

So what? Should've drafted Maholmes at 6?? I don't get it....

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

I think the view from the draftniks was that Mahomes and Watson would need alot of development-they were more like Hack.  

The fact that they looked decent in preseason action obviously raises some questions.

The fact that an organization like the Chiefs would trade up for Mahomes is pretty telling.   They have not taken a first round qb in many years-they have been like the Jets, picking up veterans.

If Mahomes turns out to be a good NFL starting QB, he was worth it at 10, or 6.  Look at the QBs who have been picked around 6 over the last 10 years-Sanchez and Bortles, to name 2.  

For better or worse, Macc is not of the roll the dice on a QB until you get one philosophy.  I don't whether his board is weighted toward position value, but it would appear that it is not.  So if Adams was going to be an all-pro safety, and Mahomes was an uncertain QB prospect, Mac was taking Adams.

I get the sense that Macc also does not use statistics like some other teams-they put alot of weight on film.  That prevents the Mamula problem, but it also creates the Tebow problem.

We really don't know which way this goes until a couple of years.   I was listening to NFL Sirius today and they were talking about the Steelers.  They Steelers will start Artie Burns, a press corner picked after Lee, and TJ Watt at Edge, someone we could have traded down for.   Two premium positions.  I know the Steelers also drafted Shazier in the first round, and he and Lee are around the same size.

Another thing about NFL Sirius-the Jets get almost no coverage.  

11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Way too early to say that Mahomes (or Watson, or Trubisky) will make it in the league, but it's enormously damning of Maccagnan that literally every QB drafted over the last two years--every single one, including the late-round guys who'll be doing color commentary for Big Sky games in two years--has looked better than Hackenberg.

Paxton Lynch....not so much.

Brandon Allen

Jeff Driskell

Brandon Doughty

Juries still out on Chad Kelly....

1 hour ago, varjet said:

I think the view from the draftniks was that Mahomes and Watson would need alot of development-they were more like Hack.  

The fact that they looked decent in preseason action obviously raises some questions.

The fact that an organization like the Chiefs would trade up for Mahomes is pretty telling.   They have not taken a first round qb in many years-they have been like the Jets, picking up veterans.

If Mahomes turns out to be a good NFL starting QB, he was worth it at 10, or 6.  Look at the QBs who have been picked around 6 over the last 10 years-Sanchez and Bortles, to name 2.  

For better or worse, Macc is not of the roll the dice on a QB until you get one philosophy.  I don't whether his board is weighted toward position value, but it would appear that it is not.  So if Adams was going to be an all-pro safety, and Mahomes was an uncertain QB prospect, Mac was taking Adams.

I get the sense that Macc also does not use statistics like some other teams-they put alot of weight on film.  That prevents the Mamula problem, but it also creates the Tebow problem.

We really don't know which way this goes until a couple of years.   I was listening to NFL Sirius today and they were talking about the Steelers.  They Steelers will start Artie Burns, a press corner picked after Lee, and TJ Watt at Edge, someone we could have traded down for.   Two premium positions.  I know the Steelers also drafted Shazier in the first round, and he and Lee are around the same size.

Another thing about NFL Sirius-the Jets get almost no coverage.  

When you look at the Texans philosophy of drafting QB's, that too could be telling of Mac.  The only one they drafted high was Carr.  They went the route of spending on a proven commodity, rather than taking the chance with one in the draft.  Who knows?  We might take a run at Garrapolo or Cousins next year, and then trade down and surround them with talent.  WHOOOOO knows.

26 minutes ago, CanadaSteve said:

Paxton Lynch....not so much.

Brandon Allen

Jeff Driskell

Brandon Doughty

Juries still out on Chad Kelly....

Lynch, Allen, and Driskel all have higher passer ratings than Hackenberg this preseason, and Kelly hasn't played. That said, I will grant that Brandon Doughty, who the Dolphins picked in the 7th round last year out of Western Kentucky, and who they just signed to their practice squad, has looked worse than Hackenberg. Looks like the SOJFs have been foiled again

11 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Unlike others I didn't think it was fair to constantly sh*t on him until there was a reason but after this preseason I'm gonna have to agree w you that if nothing else he's still a major project.seeing how mac will be gone and they'll be taking a Qb in R1 I wonder if the new fo will keep him around as a 2 or 3 for another 2-3 yrs after this one.

32 minutes ago, HessStation said:

Unlike others I didn't think it was fair to constantly sh*t on him until there was a reason but after this preseason I'm gonna have to agree w you that if nothing else he's still a major project.seeing how mac will be gone and they'll be taking a Qb in R1 I wonder if the new fo will keep him around as a 2 or 3 for another 2-3 yrs after this one.

When people are defending a guy by favorably comparing him to Jeff Driskel, it's pretty much over.

10 hours ago, legler82 said:

On the contrary, Mahomes would have been right at home behind our terrible o-line.  He made a college career out making chicken salad out of chicken sh*t protection.  It's part of the reason he was drafted 10th overall.  He is the antithesis of Hackenberg who panics and crumbles under pressure if by chance he's even able to sense or see it.  

Yeah, this is dumb...

I saw Hackenberg improve every game, and played against starters to learn the speed of the game.  He's extremely young, new offense, he's basically a rookie, youth and inexperience at WR, he made throws (TD to Jenkins) we haven't seen a Jets QB throw in years...

Hack has the tools, upside is all there, he's not ready, but it's good that Bowles and the team gave him every opportunity to learn and grow, the QB rotation was perfect, give the guys that needed the work the most, Hack, then Petty!  Petty seems to be more ready, he will get first shot, and deserves it, but book hasn't been written on Hack just yet!

This team needs to find out what he is before they worry about anything after this season, and fans need to chill out and let MAC rebuild this team, which he is finally doing from the ground up!

The problem is, jets fans have no patience, none!  

Nobody here thought this team was going to win anything this year, so what they do will be a surprise, until then, let's put the "fire coach," "cut everyone" crap down for a while and enjoy the youth movement and inevitable growing pains!

This team has talent, it needs time to develop!

And let's stop salivating over other players because of a couple of Espn highlights!

31 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Yeah, this is dumb...

I saw Hackenberg improve every game, and played against starters to learn the speed of the game.  He's extremely young, new offense, he's basically a rookie, youth and inexperience at WR, he made throws (TD to Jenkins) we haven't seen a Jets QB throw in years...

Hack has the tools, upside is all there, he's not ready, but it's good that Bowles and the team gave him every opportunity to learn and grow, the QB rotation was perfect, give the guys that needed the work the most, Hack, then Petty!  Petty seems to be more ready, he will get first shot, and deserves it, but book hasn't been written on Hack just yet!

This team needs to find out what he is before they worry about anything after this season, and fans need to chill out and let MAC rebuild this team, which he is finally doing from the ground up!

The problem is, jets fans have no patience, none!  

Nobody here thought this team was going to win anything this year, so what they do will be a surprise, until then, let's put the "fire coach," "cut everyone" crap down for a while and enjoy the youth movement and inevitable growing pains!

This team has talent, it needs time to develop!

And let's stop salivating over other players because of a couple of Espn highlights!

This makes alot of sense, but at this point Hack is not ready.  He could become ready, or he may never be ready.  We just don"t know.

But unless he plays in the regular season and lights it up, we will not know if he is ready.  So if he does not do that, the Jets draft a QB, and Hack is likely in development and career limbo.    The situation should fix itself-if Hack gets in and plays well, the Jets perhaps win and drop down the draft ladder.  If he stinks, they get a high pick.  There is obviously the concern about McCown and Petty winning games-in the case of the former, that seems completely pointless.

I think it is pretty certain that the Jets draft a QB next year.  Who, and how high, are the questions.

3 hours ago, dbatesman said:

Lynch, Allen, and Driskel all have higher passer ratings than Hackenberg this preseason, and Kelly hasn't played. That said, I will grant that Brandon Doughty, who the Dolphins picked in the 7th round last year out of Western Kentucky, and who they just signed to their practice squad, has looked worse than Hackenberg. Looks like the SOJFs have been foiled again

Fair enough...

Truth be told, I hated the Hack pick in the 2nd.  I wanted the Jets to draft him in about the 5th round as another project, and wanted Lynch over Lee.  Doesn't look like I rate QB'S any better right now.

I did have Petty in all my mocks going to us in the 4th round.  BUT......that doesn't seem to be any better.

I will stay out of the draft conversation next year.  :)

6 hours ago, 56mehl56 said:

If he even plays , but the Chiefs wouldn't be so dumb to redshirt a burgeoning superstar would they. 

The appropriate corralary is not that Mahommes sits behind Smith this season.  The appropriate corrallary would be that Mahommes is kept as the 4th QB.  Alex Smith sucks, they get eliminated the postseason, the 2nd string QB gets hurt, the 3rd string QB gets hurt after sucking, and yet, he still doesn't play, and doesn't even dress until week 17.  Should that happen, you'd have a strong argument here!

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

The appropriate corralary is not that Mahommes sits behind Smith this season.  The appropriate corrallary would be that Mahommes is kept as the 4th QB.  Alex Smith sucks, they get eliminated the postseason, the 2nd string QB gets hurt, the 3rd string QB gets hurt after sucking, and yet, he still doesn't play, and doesn't even dress until week 17.  Should that happen, you'd have a strong argument here!

And in this scenario the part of Alex Smith is played by Bubby Brister.

2 hours ago, gEYno said:

Certainly applaud your patience, but a clue?  Essentially every position you have taken for a decade and a half now has been wrong, no?

You keeping track?  My position has always been to lay off the vitriol and rhetoric as fans and let's try  exercising a little patience in support of the team instead of ripping them, so players and coaches might want to actually be a NY Jet.  

How has your way worked out?

22 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

You keeping track?  My position has always been to lay off the vitriol and rhetoric as fans and let's try  exercising a little patience in support of the team instead of ripping them, so players and coaches might want to actually be a NY Jet.  

Considering my being objective rather that delusional has no impact on the on-field product, I guess it's working out fine?

30 minutes ago, JetsRay said:

Ray appreciate your optimism but if you think players and coaches worry about the fans or what they say your sadly mistaken.

3 hours ago, gEYno said:

But I keep reading that he's the one that got away the one who the Jets stupidly did not move up for because he was the answer to our Qb problems. He's looked good in a few PS games - so what - so did Brett Ratliff. The fact is he's almost as much of a project as Hack is .Below is a quote from the KC GM , if the Jets had him the fans would be crucifying the pick with we traded up for him and can't even beat out Alex f'in Smith. Bottom line he may become a franchise QB , just like Hack may still become a franchise QB, difference is Mahomes is on another team while Hack is on the Jets . 

Chiefs GM Brett Veach insisted Saturday that there is no quarterback controversy in Kansas City.

First-round pick Patrick Mahomes showed terrific skills in the preseason, but he remains a raw developmental player, and the Chiefs believe Alex Smith gives them their best chance to win. "There is no gray area," insisted Veach. "Alex is so far advanced from the mental side of things in regard to his ability to read coverages, to shift us out of plays and really play the chess game. He’s so far ahead of where Pat is. I don’t think it’s even close right now.

7 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

But I keep reading that he's the one that got away the one who the Jets stupidly did not move up for because he was the answer to our Qb problems. He's looked good in a few PS games - so what - so did Brett Ratliff. The fact is he's almost as much of a project as Hack is .Below is a quote from the KC GM , if the Jets had him the fans would be crucifying the pick with we traded up for him and can't even beat out Alex f'in Smith. Bottom line he may become a franchise QB , just like Hack may still become a franchise QB, difference is Mahomes is on another team while Hack is on the Jets . 

Chiefs GM Brett Veach insisted Saturday that there is no quarterback controversy in Kansas City.

First-round pick Patrick Mahomes showed terrific skills in the preseason, but he remains a raw developmental player, and the Chiefs believe Alex Smith gives them their best chance to win. "There is no gray area," insisted Veach. "Alex is so far advanced from the mental side of things in regard to his ability to read coverages, to shift us out of plays and really play the chess game. He’s so far ahead of where Pat is. I don’t think it’s even close right now.

If you put the odds of Mahommes and Hack roughly equal at becoming a franchise QB, you might as well throw your name and mine into the "may" list too.

That the Jets should have taken him is the same argument you could say about every QB who shows potential until we have one.  And that's not a terrible point, considering...

Archived