Let's start talking Jets \ Bills

Maxman

The season opener is a week away. Let's start talking Jets \ Bills. If you want to talk about how much you want the Jets to lose this game, THIS IS NOT THE THREAD FOR YOU.

Some thoughts on the game.

• The Jets are one of the youngest teams in the NFL, the Bills are one of the oldest. Source.
  • Things are so tough for the Bills right now, they shut down their official message board. Source.
  • Head coach Sean McDermott is putting in his new defense. Does it take them a few weeks (or all year) to sort out the kinks?
  • Will the Jets be able to run against Buffalo? Their DLine is good and the Jets OLine is a question mark to put it lightly. A lot of things keep me up at night and the thought of Josh McCown having to throw on 3rd and 1, because the Jets can't run, is one of them. Wildcat anyone?
  • Suspensions are going to hurt the Jets so much early, Jenkins and Marshall. Who is the # 2 wide out after Robby Anderson? Can Stewart or Hansen help out immediately? That is a lot to ask of a young wide receiver.
  • The Bills have 3 QBs (Tyrod Taylor, Nathan Peterman and TJ Yates) and two of them were in the concussion protocol as of Thursday I believe. Who starts? Also, would the Jets have more success if McCown played with a concussion? (Kidding). :)

I think the line opened up with Buffalo as a 6.5 point favorite and is now at Buffalo as a 9 point favorite. 

Anyhow those are some thoughts. Figured I would get a serious conversation going about the game.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Bills new management seems hell bent on getting rid of the former GM's draft picks. It was one thing when they traded a good but injury prone Watkins, its another when they recently cut a decent second year RB in Johnathan Williams for nothing. 

You wanna talk about tanking, look upstate.

11 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

The Bills new management seems hell bent on getting rid of the former GM's draft picks. It was one thing when they traded a good but injury prone Watkins, its another when they recently cut a decent second year RB in Johnathan Williams for nothing. 

You wanna talk about tanking, look upstate.

That rb move had people stunned. He looked really good in the last preseason game I believe. Very odd.

I love that they traded Watkins.

Hoping both QBs get better and are both eligible to return for week two.

Has the potential to be an ugly game all around but I think end of the day the Bills win time of possession with their running game against a gassed NYJ D and hang on to win a low scoring affair.

I'm really excited to see Safety 1 and Safety 2 in real game action. Has the potential to be a real silver lining this season if they can bring back some attitude to this defense.

What about CHOKING?

It's really the IDEAL situation BOTH Long tern and Short Term. A competitive game that shows the young burgeoning players' & team's ability, but at the same time, maintains the proper trajectory to land a blue-chip draft slot.

As season approaches, I am excited. Totallly against my nature to root for us to lose. Would rather have the fun and anticipation of going 3-0 to start the season, than sit through a season of tanking. Don't mind being deluded that we have a bunch of young hungry players whose talents haven't yet emerged...maybe we have a bunch of lightnings in bottles...  prefer that than waiting it out yet another year. Who knows if I"ll even live another year? Or if the world will be around in another year? I've waited all off-season for the games to start, not going to wait yet another year and another draft, blah, blah, blah.  It may be short term planning, but life is short. I'm psyched. Let's go 1-0 and take it from there... anything can happen.

The game has no relevance to anybody other than people with a fantasy football interest.

The 2017 Bills and Jets are essentially holding a 16-game extended tryout.  The fans of both teams should recognize that, and adjust their emotional investment to low.

Buffalo is always a tough place to play, and opening day will make it worse.With an inexperienced O line, and all young receivers, this will be a tough test.I don't think the Bills are necessarily better than us, but this is a tough spot. I could see us winning the rematch on Thursday night later on.

I gotta say that I am not confident for this one. The reasons stated earlier in the thread and I feel the Bills will stuff the run and make the Jets throw the ball are the main things for me. That coupled with a lot of 3 and outs will take a toll on the D. Bills win it late 20 -17.

15 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

I gotta say that I am not confident for this one. The reasons stated earlier in the thread and I feel the Bills will stuff the run and make the Jets throw the ball are the main things for me. That coupled with a lot of 3 and outs will take a toll on the D. Bills win it late 20 -17.

Stacking the box doesn't mean Bowles won't continue to run straight up the gut on 1st and 2nd down. He will not be manipulated. 

Typically in a game where you have a young / inexperienced set of WRs / TEs and an O line that may not be the strongest (to put it politely) - plus being on the road and in Week 1 - you look to establish a strong run game, play strong defense, don't get behind early.

Strong D I can see us bringing a decent effort, and let's not forget Buffalo are limited too at WR (I believe they have a rookie a recently-traded-for guy at 1-2 WR if healthy). Their QB status will be a big determining factor; Taylor can hurt through the air and on the ground, as we know, but can Peterman (or whoever starts) deliver if Taylor is out / limited? I reckon Taylor will play but they'll aim to protect him / limit his running game. So Buffalo may end up having to adopt a similar approach to above - strong running game - which is probably what we're better at defending right now. 

When we're on offense, I'm thinking we'll see a lot more short passing to RBs rather than just plugging away up the middle of their D - if we try to grind it out it could be an ugly game with a lot hinging on special teams for field position etc. We do have a deep threat in Anderson, but I'm not sure we have the short passing game to pick up the slack if the run game falters. Kearse and Tye have only just arrived so will be of limited use. Though given how little pre-season time McCown got, maybe that won't be that big an issue anyway.

Win or lose, I want the team to give a good account of themselves - O line to not get the QB killed, generate some push; WRs to show ability to separate and generate YAC, and the D needs to be firing on all cylinders ... an early impact play (turnover, sack) would be a huge boost, last thing we can afford is to be giving up 10-12 play drives on a regular basis. Lastly - play disciplined and keep the penalty count down. Not sure how Buffalo will do on this after two years of "loosey goosey" Rex play, but we need to be smarter than they are.

I don't see this being a pretty game, but it could easily go either way, I think there'll be little margin for error for either team. (Now watch it be a 35-0 whitewash :D).

2 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

I think the Bills are going all out Tank, they saw what was happening in NY and panicked. I see us Winning this because the Bills want Darnold more.

I agree with this.  The Jets are not running on anyone.  They are good to throw 50 4 yard passes a game.  So the Bills DL will be neutralized.  

The Bills are not moving against the Jets D.  Our DL will neutralize McCoy.  

It will be low scoring and ugly.  Jets and their coaches will want the win more.  Bills coaches don't care, this year.  

35 minutes ago, JetFaninMI said:

that's been the defensive strategy against the jets for at least 10 years.  they sort of succeeded when marshall, fitz and decker were here to keep them honest and also when sanchez had holmes (the good version) to throw to but not lately.  on the other hand if the oline does manage to come together it might make things interesting.

6 hours ago, Maxman said:

The season opener is a week away. Let's start talking Jets \ Bills. If you want to talk about how much you want the Jets to lose this game, THIS IS NOT THE THREAD FOR YOU. 

When I first read the thread title, I thought it said:

Let's start tanking Jets/Bills

SAR I

Keys to the game:

1. How can this display bring us closer to regime change?

2.  Is it getting us closer to Rosen?

3. Can we get a split screen showing Maccagnan's face while Hackenberg is throwing pick-sixes in the fourth quarter?

4. Does Tyrod Taylor throw multiple TDs over just one of the safety's heads, or does he share the wealth/pain among both safeties?

5. When does Mo Wilkerson decide his hip is too sore to carry on?

6. When does Mehta's anonymous source get quoted as saying, "Jesus, I never should have left New Orleans"?

7. Do Pat Mahomes and Deshaun Watson get named starters of their respective teams at halftime of their first games and will Vegas immediately install the Chiefs and Texans as AFC favorites? 

8. Will PFF give Darron Lee another super high grade for holding LeSean McCoy to a mere 125 yards rushing?

9. Will Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall combine to average more yards per game on a weekly basis than the entire Jet offense? 

10. When will the Idzik blimp guys save up enough cash from picking up cans on the side of the road to pay for a Macc-themed billboard?

2 hours ago, mtwarlock31 said:

It also opens the door to dimensions where the Jets have won 13 out of 14 division titles and 5 super bowl titles.

Don't get stuck in the dimension where the Jets haven't been to the Superbowl in 48 years.

I prefer to huff glue, it's cheaper

Archived