Pair of Injury-Prone Jets Will Have Major say in Team’s Performance in ’17

JetNation

IMG_5633.jpg

Yes, due to a lack of established talent on their roster, the New York Jets, as currently constructed, are the pre-season favorites to own the top pick in the 2018 draft.  The issues have been painstakingly dissected over the past several months ad nauseam.  While there are key deficiencies at several spots, the overall success of this team could come down to just two players not named Josh McCown, Bryce Petty or Christian Hackenberg.

McCown will open the season as the teams starter and has shown that he can play at a high level in spurts, and certainly can be relied on to manage a game.  If and when he’s injured, Bryce Petty, who is listed as the team’s second quarterback, looked like a player who could, at the very least, manage a game himself with the way he played this pre-season.

However, no matter who the Jets have under center, it’s unlikely they’ll have any level of success if free agent addition Kelvin Beachum isn’t able to protect the blind side, where he’ll be facing opponents’ top pass-rushers on a regular basis.

Over a year removed from a torn ACL, the Jets and Beachum are hoping that he returns to the form he showed two years ago as a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers, after which, Beachum became one of the league’s most sought after free agents.

IMG_4973-300x205.jpg

Kelvin Beachum will be a big part of trying to keep Jets quarterbacks upright in 2017.

Beachum would end up signing with the Jaguars in Jacksonville where his struggles were apparent early and often, leading to his eventual release this off-season, paving the way for another visit to the Jets who had expressed interest the previous off-season.

With Beachum being a key to the team’s success in 2017 on offense, it’s another injury prone veteran on the other side of the ball who will make or break this unit’s defense in cornerback Morris Claiborne.

Claiborne, who has appeared in only 32 of a possible 64 games (28 starts) due to various injuries since starting 15 contests as a rookie, was signed to a one-year deal worth approximately $5 million to play opposite second-year cornerback Juston Burris.

In recent years, when healthy, Claiborne has shown he has the ability to play like a legitimate number one cornerback. There are two questions that will linger through the 2017 once the season kicks off in Buffalo next week.  First and foremost, can he stay healthy?  Second, if healthy, how long before the injuries begin to catch up and Claiborne loses a step?

IMG_5129-300x200.jpg

Morris Claiborne is the Jets most important player on defense heading in to 2017. Can he stay healthy enough to make a difference?

If the answers to those questions are “yes” and “not anytime soon”, then the Jets secondary has a chance to make some noise with the additions of rookie draft picks Jamal Adams and Marcus Maye.  All too often last season, Jets fans sat and watched countless big plays by opposing receivers who were able to streak past Jets cornerbacks with safety help showing up late or not at all.

Should Claiborne miss any significant time due to injury, the cornerback depth chart becomes a mess.  With no number one outside of Claiborne, it could be anyone from Darryl Roberts, who has had a terrible camp, or Buster Skrine elevated to the number one spot with Burris staying in the number two spot.  That’s no a scenario that any Jets fan wants to see.

For those fans hoping for the Jets to compete for a playoff spot, these are the two players who can have the greatest impact on those hopes.  Those thinking only about the top pick in the draft, they should be keeping a close eye on the injury report, because if these two players can stay off of it, the top pick will be that much harder to come by.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
mIATBKAPKJM

Click here to read the full story...

Good article Glenn. I have been saying for some time that claiborne is a big key for the defense.

Never really thought about it but beachum really is the same thing on the oline.

It both players stay healthy it will really upset the tank crowd.

15 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Good article Glenn. I have been saying for some time that claiborne is a big key for the defense.

Never really thought about it but beachum really is the same thing on the oline.

It both players stay healthy it will really upset the tank crowd.

There's a third crowd: the don't waste the rebuild on a 38 year old nowhere QB in a nowhere attempt at getting another victory or 2 and not evaluating Petty and Hack. Playing McClown is destructive to the Jets future on several levels. I don't want to tank, and making the playoffs is a pipe dream. Start Petty. If he fails start Hack. Sit McClown

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There's a third crowd: the don't waste the rebuild on a 38 year old nowhere QB in a nowhere attempt at getting another victory or 2 and not evaluating Petty and Hack. Playing McClown is destructive to the Jets future on several levels. I don't want to tank, and making the playoffs is a pipe dream. Start Petty. If he fails start Hack. Sit McClown

This 

The fact that this team chooses to go in the direction of a 38 year old QB is beyond belief, they just don't get and maybe never will. 

3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I really don't think there is a "start McCown" group, is there?

Just now, johnnysd said:

There IS a make a run for the playoffs crowd which indirectly is a "start McClown till eliminated" crowd.

Interesting.  I've yet to come across one of these creatures.

2 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

yes there is, because Petty is hurt and Hackenberg is not ready for prime time .

I believe the expectation is that Petty will be ready for week 1.  They had him on the field getting loose before the Eagles game to see if he'd be ready yet.  He wasn't, but I haven't heard anyone say he won't ready to go for Buffalo.

18 minutes ago, AFJF said:

I believe the expectation is that Petty will be ready for week 1.  They had him on the field getting loose before the Eagles game to see if he'd be ready yet.  He wasn't, but I haven't heard anyone say he won't ready to go for Buffalo.

What sense does it make to put that kid on the field if he's not 100% and can't fully protect himself ? 

3 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Petty is hurt, they are still evaluating whether he is able to backup this week. Petty needs to heal up and he will be out there very soon. How long he holds up when he gets there is the bigger question.

1 hour ago, AFJF said:

I haven't seen anywhere that he won't be 100% by the opener.  Injury was a minor sprain, wasn't it?  2+ weeks should be plenty of time.

Bowles said today they are still evaluating his readiness.

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Looking for a reason to justify making Hack the no. 2?

Bowles is trying to win games. If he doesn't he will probably get fired. So his motivation is to have the team win.

Like I said, Petty needs to heal up and find a way to stay healthy. This job is his for the taking if he does. He has a chance here to do good things.

25 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Bowles is trying to win games. If he doesn't he will probably get fired. So his motivation is to have the team win.

Like I said, Petty needs to heal up and find a way to stay healthy. This job is his for the taking if he does. He has a chance here to do good things.

Ehhhhh....maybe.

Woody has said that they playoffs aren't a mandate and I think that's because even he knows this roster is lacking talent.

I think the expectation is effort.  If the team looks prepared and motivated, Bowles is safe IMO.

Kickoff depth, long snapper coverage and playing politics with the no. 2 QB shouldn't even be on Bowles' radar.

Just now, AFJF said:

Ehhhhh....maybe.

Woody has said that they playoffs aren't a mandate and I think that's because even he knows this roster is lacking talent.

I think the expectation is effort.  If the team looks prepared and motivated, Bowles is safe IMO.

Kickoff depth, long snapper coverage and playing politics with the no. 2 QB shouldn't even be on Bowles' radar.

And it isn't. Despite how many times you say it lol.

Just now, Maxman said:

And it isn't. Despite how many times you say it lol.

If it wasn't, he would have named Petty the no. 2 after the Giants game.  That sealed it for any sane human being.

Instated, it's a lot of "Erm...umm...we gotta' go back and watch some film and ummm...see who did what...it's just too early to say because I wasn't watching everything....gonna' watch film and meet with the other coaches to talk about the film we watched and then we'll collectively make a decision as a group film"

Just now, AFJF said:

If it wasn't, he would have named Petty the no. 2 after the Giants game.  That sealed it for any sane human being.

Instated, it's a lot of "Erm...umm...we gotta' go back and watch some film and ummm...see who did what...it's just too early to say because I wasn't watching everything....gonna' watch film and meet with the other coaches to talk about the film we watched and then we'll collectively make a decision as a group film"

He is making people work for things. That is a refreshing change. Had Petty earned anything it would have been the starting job, when he started last year. Guess what? He played poorly, so he has to work for everything. I like that the Jets aren't handing out things like Rex did.

There are no politics here. Just a coach trying to win games with a pretty crappy roster.

Petty will play. Can he physically hold up, that is the question. The answer to that question last year was no.

2 minutes ago, AFJF said:

And you know what, there is no reason to call people not sane because they don't agree with you.

Just now, Maxman said:

He is making people work for things. That is a refreshing change. Had Petty earned anything it would have been the starting job, when he started last year. Guess what? He played poorly, so he has to work for everything. I like that the Jets aren't handing out things like Rex did.

There are no politics here. Just a coach trying to win games with a pretty crappy roster.

Petty will play. Can he physically hold up, that is the question. The answer to that question last year was no.

I'd say that between OTA', training camp and pre-season games, the work was done.  They worked for it.  They all did.  Bowles didn't like the results of the work so he doeson't know what to do about naming a no. 2 QB.

If Petty was the 2nd round pick and Hack was the 4th, he would've named him the no. 2 weeks ago.

Just now, AFJF said:

I'd say that between OTA', training camp and pre-season games, the work was done.  They worked for it.  They all did.  Bowles didn't like the results of the work so he doeson't know what to do about naming a no. 2 QB.

If Petty was the 2nd round pick and Hack was the 4th, he would've named him the no. 2 weeks ago.

Glenn you can keep typing that as much as you want. I don't agree with the premise. So according to you that makes me not sane. I don't see a conspiracy here no matter how much you want to drag one up. If Petty is healthy he will be the backup. He earned that. Let's see if he is healthy.

Bowles doesn't care where someone was drafted. He would be better served to have Hack fail miserably because that makes his job safer and puts Macc more on the hot seat.

Just now, Maxman said:

Glenn you can keep typing that as much as you want. I don't agree with the premise. So according to you that makes me not sane. I don't see a conspiracy here no matter how much you want to drag one up. If Petty is healthy he will be the backup. He earned that. Let's see if he is healthy.

Bowles doesn't care where someone was drafted. He would be better served to have Hack fail miserably because that makes his job safer and puts Macc more on the hot seat.

So we agree.  Petty is better.

If I'll say it, and you'll say it, why won't Bowles say it?

If you believe Petty earned the back up job, then you are not in fact insane.

Just now, AFJF said:

So we agree.  Petty is better.

If I'll say it, and you'll say it, why won't Bowles say it?

If you believe Petty earned the back up job, then you are not in fact insane.

Glenn I think you are going for humor here, but I will be honest you are missing the mark.

The staff wanted to evaluate Hackenberg to see if he could be a starter in this league. They have enough data on Petty, he didn't play well last year.

Is Petty better than Hack? The odds are both of them suck. You trying to create a controversy out of this is a reach. And it isn't "borderline criminal" like you wrote. Bowles isn't going to jail if he makes Petty the # 3.

7 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Dude, give it a rest, the kid is hurt and the coach is waiting to see who will be his backup for this game.  Petty is listed as the backup on the depth chart, so that leaves me to think that if he wasn't hurt, he would be the backup .  

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

Glenn I think you are going for humor here, but I will be honest you are missing the mark.

The staff wanted to evaluate Hackenberg to see if he could be a starter in this league. They have enough data on Petty, he didn't play well last year.

Is Petty better than Hack? The odds are both of them suck. You trying to create a controversy out of this is a reach. And it isn't "borderline criminal" like you wrote. Bowles isn't going to jail if he makes Petty the # 3.

I lost my sense of humor over 20 years ago (although I only realized that a few weeks ago)

I know they wanted to evaluate Hack, that's why they gave him every opportunity to succeed and hung Petty out to dry.  Much to their chagrin, Petty outplayed their guy. Players improve sometimes.  Petty has improved dramatically.

Yes, they both suck and we could have predicted that because they were both drafted by the Jets.  Shouldn't Bowles be brave enough to stand up and say that the guy who sucked less than the other guy should be the no. 2?

Creating a controversy would be suggesting that the QB who looks like he was converted from punter a few weeks ago should be listed ahead of a guy who is throwing the ball on target both in the pocket and rolling out, not locking on to one receiver and producing more than 1 TD in 25 drives.

Take care...I gotta go watch some Ozark. 

11 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Dude, give it a rest, the kid is hurt and the coach is waiting to see who will be his backup for this game.  Petty is listed as the backup on the depth chart, so that leaves me to think that if he wasn't hurt, he would be the backup .  

If it's that simple, why not just say "Bryce is the no. 2.  If he can't go, it's Christian"?

Later....Ozark calling.

1 minute ago, AFJF said:

I lost my sense of humor over 20 years ago (although I only realized that a few weeks ago)

I know they wanted to evaluate Hack, that's why they gave him every opportunity to succeed and hung Petty out to dry.  Much to their chagrin, Petty outplayed their guy. Players improve sometimes.  Petty has improved dramatically.

Yes, they both suck and we could have predicted that because they were both drafted by the Jets.  Shouldn't Bowles be brave enough to stand up and say that the guy who sucked less than the other guy should be the no. 2?

Creating a controversy would be suggesting that the QB who looks like he was converted from punter a few weeks ago should be listed ahead of a guy who is throwing the ball on target both in the pocket and rolling out, not locking on to one receiver and producing more than 1 TD in 25 drives.

Take care...I gotta go watch some Ozark. 

I root for every player on the Jets. So I am going to defer to the head coach, he is leaning heavily on the new offensive coordinator. Nobody hung Petty out to dry. He got hurt 3 or 4 times last year in limited action and he played poorly. Strike that he hung himself out to dry.

I hope Petty does well he will get a shot. But there is absolutely no conspiracy theory here.

petty.PNG

34 minutes ago, AFJF said:

Is this information or opinion?

WTH is the big deal who and when the b/u QB is determined and announced? This really is something you spend a lot of thought and time on? 

40 minutes ago, C Mart said:

Is this information or opinion?

WTH is the big deal who and when the b/u QB is determined and announced? This really is something you spend a lot of thought and time on? 

Because the backup should be Petty. He earned it, everyone that watched the preseason saw it. The reasons to believe that Petty is the backup is because of a depth chart and watching the preseason however none of that was verified by the coach. Any pretense that Petty and Hack are equal or that Hack might be ahead of Petty is politics. 

Archived