Sign in to follow this  
Maxman

Todd Bowles Press Conf - 9/4; Mauldin, Sheldon & More

New York Jets Head Coach Todd Bowles, 9.4

On if Lorenzo Mauldin will return from injured reserve or if he’s out for the season…

We could possibly bring him back.

On trading Sheldon Richardson…

It’s hard when you lose someone like that. Me and Sheldon have a very close relationship off the field. That’ll go way beyond football. We understand it’s a business, both of us, and we’ll go from there but we’ll be talking long after football is over.

On why the team parted ways with Richardson…

It was a good move for both parties. It was a good move for us short-term and long-term. We needed another wideout. We got an extra pick. They got a good player.

On how he’ll replace Richardson’s snaps…

We have depth there. That was our deepest position at the time. Obviously, we have three other guys that can play and we have (Mike) Pennel that can play and we have Claude (Pelon) that can play. You don’t replace a guy like (Richardson). You just do different things.

On if the trade will benefit Muhammad Wilkerson and Leonard Williams…

I don’t think it has any bearing on them one way or the other as far as what they’re going to do when they get out on the field.

On Jermaine Kearse…

He brings veteran leadership. Obviously, he can catch the ball. He has to get up to speed on the offense some so we can find out what he can do more of. We know he’s made big catches in big games. He’s very intelligent, good blocker, good team guy. (We) just have to see what his favorite routes are and things that we can do with him, and get a feel that way.

On what’s realistic for Kearse in terms of learning the offense by Week One…

I don’t know yet. We’re still figuring that out.

On when he got an idea that the Richardson trade was happening…

I work for the organization. I found out it was going to happen. It really doesn’t matter. It happened. It was a business decision. It’s good for them. It’s good for us and we’re moving on.

On if he knows who the starting tackles are…

Yes, I do.

On if he’s willing to share the names of the starting tackles…

I’ll give it to you on Wednesday.

On if he’ll say who the starting outside linebackers are on Wednesday…

Correct.

On if he’ll share who the backup quarterback is on Wednesday…

Possibly.

On injuries to Kelvin Beachum and James Carpenter…

You guys will get a full injury report on Wednesday.

On Chandler Catanzaro and Thomas Hennessy making the team…

Catanzaro and Ross (Martin) were close. They were very close. Catanzaro is probably a better kickoff guy so he edged him (Martin) out that way. Other than that, they were pretty close. Hennessy, we liked him for quite some time. Now we couldn’t get ahold of him and we finally got ahold of him. Tanner (Purdum) has been here a long time. I have a lot of respect for Tanner, but we went with the younger guy who’s probably a better cover guy down the field.

On if Bryce Petty will be available on Sunday…

We’ll see. It’s early in the week.

On if Petty has taken a step back since Thursday’s game…

No, but it’s early in the week. We’ll see how he’s moving.

On if had to be convinced about the trade as a coach since coaches take a week-to-week approach…

No, we have a big picture obviously. It would be no different if he got hurt. You have to adjust. Whether we got Kearse or didn’t get Kearse or whether we got somebody else or didn’t get somebody else, you adjust as a coach and you move on. Last year, we had tons of injuries and we had to adjust. It’s no different. Whether a guy’s traded, suspended, cut, hurt or anything else, you have to adjust. So as a coach you have to be prepared to adjust. It’s no different.

On if he expects Will Tye to have a significant role in Week One since Seferian-Jenkins is suspended…

We’ll have to see how much he can take in this week first.

On what Tye brings to the team…

Obviously, experience. You saw most of him as a New York Giant but he caught the ball, he’s done some things, he’s played in games and it’s not too big for him. We just have to get him up to speed.

On if he feels like the team has the right 53 players…

Right now, yes. It will be ever-changing, obviously with injuries and things that happen and guys that become available. But right now with the 53 we have, yes.

On if there were any roster moves that were hard to make…

No, not position group. But you get close to the guys. It’s always rough in the last cut time when you spend a lot of time with the guys during the spring and summer. You develop relationships so that part is always tough.

On if there were more decisions for this roster reduction because of the competition than previous seasons…

It wasn’t so much with the starters, but with some of the backups, there was some competitions going on.

On how difficult Buffalo is to scout on Week One because they have a lot of new coaches and players…

You just have to go off the film. I’m sure they’ll have some wrinkles for us that we haven’t seen. We have to read our keys and expect the unexpected on both sides of the ball as well as special teams.

On if there was any player that made the team that was satisfying for him as a coach…

No, this year they were all pretty gratifying. They all worked pretty hard to make it and get to this point. They all just have to keep working and keep getting better. It wasn’t one specific person. 

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Bowles had no idea the Sheldon trade was done till late in the process.  Bank on it.  And he's not happy about it, bank on that too.

F him is all i can say, we can see that shelly was a fav of his, a guy with awful character issues is the coaches pet.  I hope he gets reunited with his prodigy as soon as possible.

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Bowles had no idea the Sheldon trade was done till late in the process.  Bank on it.  And he's not happy about it, bank on that too.

Funny, but I got that feeling from the way he answered the question .  As to how happy he is, that's too be determined .

Maybe Bowles told Sheldon listen were tanking, cutting Will after season trading you for a 2nd, and we will resign you in the offseason with our shiny new QB?  Lol.

Sheldon's off-field concerns have been greatly overstated by the folks who post here. Whatever you think of Bowles, his admission of his relationship with Richardson is quite a statement. I expect Sheldon to perform at an all pro level this year. He's been in the league's drug testing program for a couple years now -getting tested a minimum of three times a month- without incident. He gets it. He's gonna be a successful football player who makes a lot of money, and then he's gonna retire and smoke weed. 

I think he handled the presser well...the notebook's always ask questions that he wont (and shouldnt) answer so no biggie there. I for one an glad sheldon is gone but coaches always want to keep talented players if they can.....especially if there is very little talent on the team overall. If I am the coach I would want to keep him as well because he is motivated, in a contract year and will probably make some plays despite not making an impact on the overall record. 

I say take the pick and the punk and move on..... 

One thing good coaches do is adapt and grow, just like the players do (or should) if they want to succeed...

Last year TB tried some things that seemed very questionable... He lined guys up in odd ways, played guys out of position in hopes of the almighty "versatility" trait everyone wants, he flip flopped on who was calling the plays on both sides of the ball, and seemingly lost the locker room. 

So I know a lot of people hate him for that and think he's clueless. But this is a new year. Just like a player has the off-season to review what they did, so does a coach. We'll see if he's grown at all or if he's stubborn. Nothing is set in stone for me yet. I'm ready to watch and see how it unfolds. 

6 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Maybe Bowles told Sheldon listen were tanking, cutting Will after season trading you for a 2nd, and we will resign you in the offseason with our shiny new QB?  Lol.

That makes sense. You tip him off so he can keep his eyes on the ho's. This way when he comes back everyone knows where they at. :)

5 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Don't care about Richardson anymore, he's gone. I just want to see lots of blitzes vs buffalo.

Hopefully none of those blitzes are from 293lb lineman who are playing standing up.

I don't mind Bowles ... these pressers are a joke anyway ... watch the patriots pressers ... lol ... then talk to me.

people that think sheldon is not going to get busted for a season long suspension have the heads in the sands ... they could be right ... but unlikely

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

3 hours ago, Dunnie said:

I don't mind Bowles ... these pressers are a joke anyway ... watch the patriots pressers ... lol ... then talk to me.

people that think sheldon is not going to get busted for a season long suspension have the heads in the sands ... they could be right ... but unlikely

Wow, it's almost as if successful performance in one's job grants a person greater benefit of the doubt. What a shocking concept.

Wow, it's almost as if successful performance in one's job grants a person greater benefit of the doubt. What a shocking concept.

i could wrong but i believe he has always been that way.

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Bowles was such good buddies with Sheldon that it took three quarters of the way through a season for Bowles to work up the nerve to talk to him about missing meetings and showing up late. Same as it was with Cro. 

Took him half the season to remember who was the big one and who was the one with lots of babies all over the place. 

One of the main jobs of an NFL head coach is to manage the locker room and keep the team motivated and on the same page.  Bowles has been abject failure across the board. Why management and ownership would want a coach like this to oversee a complete rebuilding of their team is baffling to me. 

16 hours ago, slats said:

Sheldon's off-field concerns have been greatly overstated by the folks who post here. Whatever you think of Bowles, his admission of his relationship with Richardson is quite a statement. I expect Sheldon to perform at an all pro level this year. He's been in the league's drug testing program for a couple years now -getting tested a minimum of three times a month- without incident. He gets it. He's gonna be a successful football player who makes a lot of money, and then he's gonna retire and smoke weed. 

I don't think this deserves the "butt fumble" reaction, at all..... @Fantasy Island just trying to troll here, or be funny. Not sure but ridiculous on the reaction there.

10 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Bingo...All coaches withhold info, tell white lies whatever you want to call..

I don;t know about that, you could be right. I was surprised he said he was close to Sheldon. So that gives what you said credibility because Bowles doesn't usually shed insight like that on a topic.
That being said, if he wanted to keep Sheldon here he should have 1) found a position for him and 2) got him to not act like an idiot lol.
Seems like he started to act like his rookie self after the speeding with a child thing. Who knows but this trade was about getting something for a FA to be.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

20 hours ago, slats said:

And his next contract will be sized in large part based upon what he is able to do this year.  I expected him to be dominant no matter which jersey he wore this year.  Seahawks got a good deal on a top flight rental.

Our beat writers are some of the most disgusting, dishonest, ignorant, and down right slimy individuals in all of sports media. Of course, it takes a ******* NY Jets boards to side with these liars and give Bowels hell for his short answers. Are you guys kidding me or what? 

ETA: Lopresti is awesome actually.