Kerley SIGNS with Jets

JetsFanatic

2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

If they wanted a slot guy, why not put a claim in for Austin Carr?  His measurables are better, he played well in the pre-season and young enough to actually have upside.  

I don't mind Kearse because I think they at least bought low on him, but Kerley and Kearse seems redundant on a rebuilding team that just drafted two guys in the middle rounds.  

Again, the issue i have is that they draft two WRs and now basically create a logjam, preventing them from seeing meaningful snaps for the foreseeable future.  And they continue to justify using all those 1st rounders on defense.  Then they are too scared to announce the starting qb for a preseason game.  The big picture is there is no plan for the offense.  Every one of these defensive coaches thinks they can be 'competitive' by having a veteran qb who sucked when he was younger, and investing most of the team's resources on defense.  The team should be playing Anderson/Stewart/Hansen a lot.  Instead they're going to try to convince woody they made great strides with kerley and kearse?  

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, win4ever said:

If they wanted a slot guy, why not put a claim in for Austin Carr?  His measurables are better, he played well in the pre-season and young enough to actually have upside.  

I don't mind Kearse because I think they at least bought low on him, but Kerley and Kearse seems redundant on a rebuilding team that just drafted two guys in the middle rounds.  

Mehta said they actually did put a claim on Carr.

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Again, the issue i have is that they draft two WRs and now basically create a logjam, preventing them from seeing meaningful snaps for the foreseeable future.  And they continue to justify using all those 1st rounders on defense.  Then they are too scared to announce the starting qb for a preseason game.  The big picture is there is no plan for the offense.  Every one of these defensive coaches thinks they can be 'competitive' by having a veteran qb who sucked when he was younger, and investing most of the team's resources on defense.  The team should be playing Anderson/Stewart/Hansen a lot.  Instead they're going to try to convince woody they made great strides with kerley and kearse?  

I personally thought Hansen and Stewart were starting to show improvement as the pre-season went on.  I have no problem keeping a veteran to sort of lead the guys, especially if they can teach them better routes (something Hansen and Stewart need) but then why cut Decker in the first place?  I would have had no problem if it was just Kerley or Kearse, but why both?  We have Kerley already angry he was essentially benched the last time through, so I'm assuming they told him, he would receive a better shot this time, which means Anderson/Kerase/Kerley and the young guys on the bench.  

Other issue we have to all keep in mind is Anderson's pending legal case. Pushing a cop even if the charges are somehow dropped, if that gets resolved somehow this season he is going to be suspended 2-4 games possibly mid-stream of 2017 and by the time that happens hopefully Kearse and Kerley are up to speed in this WCO as well as Stewart and Hansen. Then it will have hopefully not a huge impact. Main thing is the WRs have to keep the QBs from getting killed since we all blame the Oline, but they can't protect for 15 seconds when WRs can't get seperation.  

1 minute ago, win4ever said:

I personally thought Hansen and Stewart were starting to show improvement as the pre-season went on.  I have no problem keeping a veteran to sort of lead the guys, especially if they can teach them better routes (something Hansen and Stewart need) but then why cut Decker in the first place?  I would have had no problem if it was just Kerley or Kearse, but why both?  We have Kerley already angry he was essentially benched the last time through, so I'm assuming they told him, he would receive a better shot this time, which means Anderson/Kerase/Kerley and the young guys on the bench.  

Cut decker, add kerley.  Claim this year is about developing young players, add kearse.  Start mccown.  Then continue to say it's all about developing the young qbs.  The bottom line is, Bowles and mccags are worried about their jobs, and they're not willing to fully commit to the real rebuild that's needed so that the next qb can succeed.

There's plenty of guys with big arms and great speed but they're just not good football players. Kerley doesn't have the size speed etc. but he is a good football player. He's worth adding esp to an inexperienced offense. A team is built with role players who are not always guys with all of the intangibles. Those talents are over sold. 

1 hour ago, Jack Straw said:

This is most definitely weird, but I think you're giving way too much credit to the level of involvement Todd Bowles had on the offensive side of the ball.

Chan Gailey was calling all the shots re: offensive personnel and he's had a vendetta against short receivers for just about forever. Maybe Kerley was a slug when he was here - I don't know - but I think he was in Chan's dog house because of his lack of size more than anything.

1 hour ago, NYs Stepchild said:

I'm pretty sure it was Chan that doesn't like small receivers in the slot. Precise route running also isn't/wasn't so important in Chan's system. Kerley is a better fit in the WC.

That being said signing him now really doesn't make sense. 3 practices before the first game when you could have signed him on Monday and it wouldn't be guaranteed. 

Could be. But Kerley was also allegedly in the dog house of one Todd Bowles.

I remember the whole tall receiver thing from back then, but that gets thrown out at least a little bit when they also had Kerley solidly behind Jalin Marshall, who's no giant himself (and can't hold onto the football either).

One year deal sounds like they wanted to take a rental to add some cheap vet presence. Okay, I can understand this signing.

If he's out there as a returner, honestly, who cares in today's game? Throw out a guy unlikely to fumble the catch that, if he gets injured, is not going to cost the team anything serious (e.g. Devin Smith). 

I'd like to see the young guys getting it done without needing vets around but I'm not getting outraged over this. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

I think the funny thing about this move is it means that Bowles would rather play a veteran player he does not like than go with young players. Wouldnt shock me to see Kearse and Kerley as the #1 and #2 receivers and the others struggle to even play. Bowles SO needs to be gone. 

Well if you go by the conspiracy theory many here live by and how the Jets reporting structure is screwed up w/Mcc & Bowles each reporting to Woody, this is a Mcc move. Mcc controls the 53 man. Bowles controls the gameday. 

6 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

+1

I don't see anyone being a bank-breaker when the freaking 49ers can't justify keeping him on their roster, despite signing him to an extension just this offseason, and his salary of $1.15m being fully guaranteed. So he literally just didn't make the team.

The thing is, while there's value in not having the likes of Robbie Anderson as one of the most experienced veterans on the roster, they have so many young receivers - including 2 they just drafted - that it may create a numbers problem unless they're willing to carry more WRs just to carry them.

Also, as you allude to, even with more potential/ability, these younger kids are simply not going to be as polished (or as good) as Kerley right now, and quite possibly/likely not all season long. So Bowles understandably doesn't want to spend his on-thin-ice coaching season just getting in lumps and snaps for rookies who may never pan out anyway. On the field, until/unless one of them gets injured, the starting WRs this year will be Kearse and Anderson, with Kerley in the slot. The rookies will only see action in 4-5 WR sets or on specials all season long (and in practice will only line up against our dime-package/backup DBs).

On the other hand, if we're to get a second real evaluation of Petty, there have to be receivers who know what they're doing and can catch a football without dropping easy passes or running the wrong way to turn a would-be completion or TD into a pick. Kerley gets open on underneath routes and can hang onto the ball, even if he's smaller, slower, and just in general is the opposite of a dynamic/exciting receiver. Plus even though he's equally (if not more) boring as a returner, he can at least fair catch punts without worry about him coughing it up. 

kerley can be a really good slot receiver.  totally agree he can help the young receivers and the qb.  nothing wrong with this pick up.

48 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Could be. But Kerley was also allegedly in the dog house of one Todd Bowles.

I remember the whole tall receiver thing from back then, but that gets thrown out at least a little bit when they also had Kerley solidly behind Jalin Marshall, who's no giant himself (and can't hold onto the football either).

kerley leaving was a chan thing.  bowles gave chan the offense and kerley was launched.

You want sense? From the macc/bowles team? You'd find as much sense from a Pro Wrestling storyline
Granted Decker is overvalued at the moment but if they wanted to keep a veteran cutting him for Kerley doesn't make sense in tank mode.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, JETSfaninNE said:

My guess is Stewart isn't totally ready to take on primary slot receiver duties.  Bring Kerley in for the first 4 weeks or so until Stewart has the full playbook down and take over or Marshall comes back to take over or get cut.  Can't figure out any other reason to sign him honestly...

I really do hope to God he isn't returning punts I can't take another year of screaming at him for fair catching a ball inside the 5.

What used to be exasperating is now a "suck for Sam" moment.

Just now, C Mart said:

I could be wrong but Jets were higher up on the claim chain?? 

Yeah, but I think it depends on how the teams prioritize their picks.  If Tye was our #1 priority claim then Carr would have to make it past the entire league before we would get a shot at him.

First of all he's signing cheap and for only one year. He had a good year in 2016. A new GM and HC I guess they wanted to go in another direction but I think a big mistake for the 49ers who went with young, unproven Wrs. Kind of like the guys on the Jets. Kerley isn't taking the place of anyone significant and when they cut an extra Wr he can be PS'd if they want to keep him. I think the guy can be productive. With ASJ looking good in pre-season (kind of what they thought he was going to be coming out of college) and hopefully this OC using the tight end position more than Gailey did our offense is starting to look better. Just move the chains keep the D off of the field and score enough to be in games. 

Archived