Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JetsFanatic

Kerley SIGNS with Jets

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Also this is just weird because it took injuries to both Marshall and Decker for Bowles to let Kerley onto the field on offense. I can understand forcefeeding a high pick rookie like Devin Smith out there ahead of him, but he was also buried all behind the likes of butterfingers Jalin Marshall, Kenbrell Thompkins, and IIRC Chris Owusu as well until he concussed himself into getting waived midseason. Then they just cut Kerley after the season. 

There seemed to be something else - something not good - going on between Bowles & Kerley. I guess beggars can't be choosers -- for both Kerley and for the team. 

I'm pretty sure it was Chan that doesn't like small receivers in the slot. Precise route running also isn't/wasn't so important in Chan's system. Kerley is a better fit in the WC.

That being said signing him now really doesn't make sense. 3 practices before the first game when you could have signed him on Monday and it wouldn't be guaranteed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

Jetsy move to say the least...see no positives from it at all. And for those that are saying perhaps it's only a move til 'insert young WR name here' better knows the playbook so it's short term...I have little doubt that as long as Kerley is upright and only marginally serviceable Bowles will continue to throw him out there. Sometimes I hate this team

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the funny thing about this move is it means that Bowles would rather play a veteran player he does not like than go with young players. Wouldnt shock me to see Kearse and Kerley as the #1 and #2 receivers and the others struggle to even play. Bowles SO needs to be gone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's weird is that Stringfellow (claimed off MIA) is NOT listed on the official team page while every other claim is.

I figured they'd release another WR to make room for Kerley on the active roster. 

Yet, they cut the STARTING  FB. In a WCO, where you NEED a FB, the Jets cut the only one they had on the roster for a fair-catching Punt Returner they cut a year ago:

 

In five seasons with the Jets, Kerley recorded 182 receptions for 2,225 yards and nine touchdowns.

In another roster move, the Jets waived fullback Julian Howsare. He was projected as a starter.

 

:blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, JETSfaninNE said:

I don't like the move.  If he takes reps away from the young pups I'm disappointed. 

This is turning out to be a very safe offense. It's not about development. Herm Edwards would be proud.

This gives us the best chance to be reasonably competitive in most games. I think that's what gets Jet fans excited. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

I think the funny thing about this move is it means that Bowles would rather play a veteran player he does not like than go with young players. Wouldnt shock me to see Kearse and Kerley as the #1 and #2 receivers and the others struggle to even play. Bowles SO needs to be gone. 

OR, maybe the young players just aren't very good. Crazy thought, I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RutgersJetFan said:

OR, maybe the young players just aren't very good. Crazy thought, I know.

If mccagnan is incapable of drafting a quarterback, running back, wide receivers or a tight end who can contribute on this offense, then fire him.  It's laughable that a truly rebuilding team would start mccown/Kerley/Kearse.  The only rebuilding phase on this team, as usual, is the defense.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Decent add, not sure what the point is again.  We will have a better return average, just hoping for the ball to bounce backwards.  

Good that they didn't drop anyone from the receiver group, but why bring him back when we need to develop Hansen/Stewart/Anderson and if they are still on the team, Peake and Marshall?  If the answer is veteran leadership and stuff, then why cut Decker?  Why would he sign here without any guarantee of playing time?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Worst punt returner you can imagine.  He sucks horribly at that job.

Not the worst in the league by any means. He averages 9.1 yards per punt return and a I think the league average is 9.2. And he doesn't turn the bell over. Sure you'd love a guy with breakaway ability. But he's not that bad. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

Decent add, not sure what the point is again.  We will have a better return average, just hoping for the ball to bounce backwards.  

Good that they didn't drop anyone from the receiver group, but why bring him back when we need to develop Hansen/Stewart/Anderson and if they are still on the team, Peake and Marshall?  If the answer is veteran leadership and stuff, then why cut Decker?  Why would he sign here without any guarantee of playing time?

The simple reason is, there is never a plan for the offense.  They have terrible players and are always looking to upgrade any position at any time, which is why they picked up ASJ.  Exactly how are Bowles and mccags going to demonstrate the growth of young talent with mccown throwing to kerley and kearse?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

The simple reason is, there is never a plan for the offense.  They have terrible players and are always looking to upgrade any position at any time, which is why they picked up ASJ.  Exactly how are Bowles and mccags going to demonstrate the growth of young talent with mccown throwing to kerley and kearse?

If they wanted a slot guy, why not put a claim in for Austin Carr?  His measurables are better, he played well in the pre-season and young enough to actually have upside.  

I don't mind Kearse because I think they at least bought low on him, but Kerley and Kearse seems redundant on a rebuilding team that just drafted two guys in the middle rounds.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, win4ever said:

If they wanted a slot guy, why not put a claim in for Austin Carr?  His measurables are better, he played well in the pre-season and young enough to actually have upside.  

I don't mind Kearse because I think they at least bought low on him, but Kerley and Kearse seems redundant on a rebuilding team that just drafted two guys in the middle rounds.  

Again, the issue i have is that they draft two WRs and now basically create a logjam, preventing them from seeing meaningful snaps for the foreseeable future.  And they continue to justify using all those 1st rounders on defense.  Then they are too scared to announce the starting qb for a preseason game.  The big picture is there is no plan for the offense.  Every one of these defensive coaches thinks they can be 'competitive' by having a veteran qb who sucked when he was younger, and investing most of the team's resources on defense.  The team should be playing Anderson/Stewart/Hansen a lot.  Instead they're going to try to convince woody they made great strides with kerley and kearse?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, win4ever said:

If they wanted a slot guy, why not put a claim in for Austin Carr?  His measurables are better, he played well in the pre-season and young enough to actually have upside.  

I don't mind Kearse because I think they at least bought low on him, but Kerley and Kearse seems redundant on a rebuilding team that just drafted two guys in the middle rounds.  

Mehta said they actually did put a claim on Carr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Again, the issue i have is that they draft two WRs and now basically create a logjam, preventing them from seeing meaningful snaps for the foreseeable future.  And they continue to justify using all those 1st rounders on defense.  Then they are too scared to announce the starting qb for a preseason game.  The big picture is there is no plan for the offense.  Every one of these defensive coaches thinks they can be 'competitive' by having a veteran qb who sucked when he was younger, and investing most of the team's resources on defense.  The team should be playing Anderson/Stewart/Hansen a lot.  Instead they're going to try to convince woody they made great strides with kerley and kearse?  

I personally thought Hansen and Stewart were starting to show improvement as the pre-season went on.  I have no problem keeping a veteran to sort of lead the guys, especially if they can teach them better routes (something Hansen and Stewart need) but then why cut Decker in the first place?  I would have had no problem if it was just Kerley or Kearse, but why both?  We have Kerley already angry he was essentially benched the last time through, so I'm assuming they told him, he would receive a better shot this time, which means Anderson/Kerase/Kerley and the young guys on the bench.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Other issue we have to all keep in mind is Anderson's pending legal case. Pushing a cop even if the charges are somehow dropped, if that gets resolved somehow this season he is going to be suspended 2-4 games possibly mid-stream of 2017 and by the time that happens hopefully Kearse and Kerley are up to speed in this WCO as well as Stewart and Hansen. Then it will have hopefully not a huge impact. Main thing is the WRs have to keep the QBs from getting killed since we all blame the Oline, but they can't protect for 15 seconds when WRs can't get seperation.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, win4ever said:

I personally thought Hansen and Stewart were starting to show improvement as the pre-season went on.  I have no problem keeping a veteran to sort of lead the guys, especially if they can teach them better routes (something Hansen and Stewart need) but then why cut Decker in the first place?  I would have had no problem if it was just Kerley or Kearse, but why both?  We have Kerley already angry he was essentially benched the last time through, so I'm assuming they told him, he would receive a better shot this time, which means Anderson/Kerase/Kerley and the young guys on the bench.  

Cut decker, add kerley.  Claim this year is about developing young players, add kearse.  Start mccown.  Then continue to say it's all about developing the young qbs.  The bottom line is, Bowles and mccags are worried about their jobs, and they're not willing to fully commit to the real rebuild that's needed so that the next qb can succeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Funny thing with young players. You never actually know unless you actually play them.

Yes. You should play crappy players to make sure they're definitely crappy and not probably crappy. That's exactly how that works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

×