Hurricane Irma - Part Two

Maxman

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Thanks, can't believe 2 hurricanes after I built my future retirement home. they've evacuated once in 60 years, now twice within 1 year. 

Luckily I know a great local guy who's putting up the metal shutters on Saturday. He's gonna get a nice bonus from me I can tell you that!

LOL I moved to Naples in 2003 prior to me moving they hadn't been hit in 40 years Irma makes makes number 5 for me.. Smiley06.gif~c200

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

LOL I moved to Naples in 2003 prior to me moving they hadn't been hit in 40 years Irma makes makes number 5 for me.. Smiley06.gif~c200

Ugh. The tree damage in Beaufort after Mathew was really bad. Beaufort is famous for its moss covered live oaks. Cost me $2600 to get 1 taken down. This one is 3 times as strong....yikes.

Parents just said **** it and packed the car up this AM. Man, this is nuts.

Have a buddy who drove with his family back from Disney yesterday, said from Orlando all the way to Coral Springs and not one gas station had fuel. Flights aren't even an option with the costs. Between Houston and this, I think it's becoming pretty clear that human beings need to rework the way we get other human beings out of these situations.

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Have a buddy who drove with his family back from Disney yesterday, said from Orlando all the way to Coral Springs and not one gas station had fuel. Flights aren't even an option with the costs. Between Houston and this, I think it's becoming pretty clear that human beings need to rework the way we get other human beings out of these situations.

It's chaos here. I'm in Orlando now waiting for my flight out. I don't know how many around here remember the odd/even days back when Carter was in office I believe, but that's what the gas lines reminded me of. Took me 20 minutes to get to the pump last night around 10pm and it was the only station nearby that had gas. People have been buying water and pocket juice like mad. 

29 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Capitalism dictates that corporations get humans out of these situations by price-gouging them and ensuring the survival of the richest.

But I digress, I do agree with you... 

34 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

or maybe less people need to live near the coast?

jetblue is capping prices on tickets at 99 bucks..

22 hours ago, the Claw said:

The wife and I are thinking of making the move from Chicago to st Petersburg. We're carefully watching the path this storm takes. I really hope everyone will be ok. Could be a serious mess if this storm hits land as hard as they're predicting. Good luck to all our forum members in FL.

St.Pete is nice, downtown is being renovated.  I'd rather live down at the beach except for this weekend lol

gas lines are crazy and no water to be bought at the store.  They do have mich ultra though and i think thats as close as it gets.

37 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Capitalism dictates that corporations get humans out of these situations by price-gouging them and ensuring the survival of the richest.

But I digress, I do agree with you... 

it was good to see gas prices flat across tampa last night. $2.69 so i am guessing the govt has a cap in these situations.  would be good for airlines to have that as well.  

5 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

St.Pete is nice, downtown is being renovated.  I'd rather live down at the beach except for this weekend lol

gas lines are crazy and no water to be bought at the store.  They do have mich ultra though and i think thats as close as it gets.

This is basically my first go around for a storm down here. Is the hysteria always this bad? 

19 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Good luck to them. Whichever way the storm tracks, the Keys are in for it...

I agree, florida will be impacted and the keys are first on the block. best case is it stays up the east coast.  the west side of the cane is easier than the east and the cold atlantic will not be as good as the warm gulf. I may be a bit biased as i am on the west coast.  have a safe weekend bro.

Just now, Matt39 said:

This is basically my first go around for a storm down here. Is the hysteria always this bad? 

Yeah, everyone freaks out and then the day of the storm the bands can miss you and you will be grilling and drinking a beer.  People also flip out when we get a couple of days lower than 50 degrees.  space heaters sell out every year.  Same with power generators now...

be prepared to lose power.  freeze some water bottles and jugs of water and move them into the fridge when you lose power.  Only open the fridge when necessary and quickly.

also, if you need any water bottles, my teen has about 50 half drank in her room :P 

Just now, whodeawhodat said:

Yeah, everyone freaks out and then the day of the storm the bands can miss you and you will be grilling and drinking a beer.  People also flip out when we get a couple of days lower than 50 degrees.  space heaters sell out every year.  Same with power generators now...

be prepared to lose power.  freeze some water bottles and jugs of water and move them into the fridge when you lose power.  Only open the fridge when necessary and quickly.

also, if you need any water bottles, my teen has about 50 half drank in her room :P 

Lol, hopefully I didnt come off as a dick....but we're still 4-5 days out from this thing. A lot can happen...you'd think Kim Jong had fired one that was set to arrive in less than 8 hours. I still have to drive to and from work the next two days so I'll have to fill up again. The hysteria is pretty surreal to see. Publix was nuts yesterday so I can only imagine now...

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Lol, hopefully I didnt come off as a dick....but we're still 4-5 days out from this thing. A lot can happen...you'd think Kim Jong had fired one that was set to arrive in less than 8 hours. I still have to drive to and from work the next two days so I'll have to fill up again. The hysteria is pretty surreal to see. Publix was nuts yesterday so I can only imagine now...

I would say it is a little worse since it is a cat 5 right now and one of the strongest ever on record so you will have your cherry popped right lol

hopefully the models are right and it will be cat 3 by the time it gets to us which is still a hell of a storm.  It is all about the band placements so we shall see.  We will feel it for sure since it has such a huge radius just see who takes it on the chin, better to be safe than sorry. 

best of luck this weekend.

17 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I would say it is a little worse since it is a cat 5 right now and one of the strongest ever on record so you will have your cherry popped right lol

hopefully the models are right and it will be cat 3 by the time it gets to us which is still a hell of a storm.  It is all about the band placements so we shall see.  We will feel it for sure since it has such a huge radius just see who takes it on the chin, better to be safe than sorry. 

best of luck this weekend.

the update that just came out isn't promising but some of the weather experts here should let us know what they think. 

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

jetblue is capping prices on tickets at 99 bucks..

I love JetBlue......its a nice PR move but what they don't tell you is that there aren't any 99 buck flights actually available for purchase.

I feel like they made that announcement after they sold 90 percent of their seats for 400-600 bucks,,,,easy to do at that point 

7 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

the update that just came out isn't promising but some of the weather experts here should let us know what they think. 

i didnt mean to sound like an expert, just have some experience being in florida since 87 save for 2 years i moved back to LI.

there was a time when we would get a keg instead of gallons of water and the only thing that would scare me would be if Jim Cantore was broadcasting from out front my place.  Now I can see the value in having water on hand and keeping my cell phone charged.

6 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

thats a sh*tty situation right there...  My mom lived 3 blocks off of miami beach when she was 10 and got hit hard by a hurricane but after it passed she walked down to the beach with the family so... why i thought that they could handle it.

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Wow if this track hits Miami head on this might just bury it worse then Katrina did to New Orleans!

Drainage is much different in SoFla than NO and Houston despite some infrastructure problems recently (I think) in the Miami area. If memory serves I don't think even Andrew caused serious flooding. With Florida the concern is always the property damage, particularly the farmland, power grids, and hospitals.

22 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The elephant grass in WPB and Dade is nuts. One minute there's a tropical storm and the streets are drowning and then an hour later everything is dry again.

yeah, i didnt want to be argumentative with @JOJOTOWNSELL since it is pretty jacked up with how miami was underwater.  I think that was more of a flash flood as i was reading the article and the water drained fairly quickly but it was deep for a bit.  When i lived in south florida we would have nasty summer storms and it would be flooded for an hour and then it was right back to drained and being humid AF. Part of the reason i moved up near tampa, feels a good 10 degrees cooler than south florida and still have the palm trees and beaches.  I still stand by by statement that there is no comparison with N.O.

2 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

Miami is built for it imo.  N.O. not so much being under sea level...

Miami is absolutely NOT built for this.  The storm surge alone can put a lot of it underwater, and most houses were built pre-Andrew and just aren't that sturdy.  Anything around the eye would be obliterated just like Andrew.

Seriously folks down Florida way and all those folks who might be in the path of this storm, do whatever you have to do to stay safe . I'm up here in Delaware and folks up here are panicking already. We could get some side effects of this storm, but you folks could get hammered . I'm praying that this storm turns out to sea and spare people any further damage . Prepare for the worst, but join me in seeking a peaceful outcome . Nawlins is rebounding, and Texas is changing the narrative about our friends and neighbors . In the mist of all this devastation, we have gone from talking about hate to talking about love . 

I like this conversation better .

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Seriously folks down Florida way and all those folks who might be in the path of this storm, do whatever you have to do to stay safe . I'm up here in Delaware and folks up here are panicking already. We could get some side effects of this storm, but you folks could get hammered . I'm praying that this storm turns out to sea and spare people any further damage . Prepare for the worst, but join me in seeking a peaceful outcome . Nawlins is rebounding, and Texas is changing the narrative about our friends and neighbors . In the mist of all this devastation, we have gone from talking about hate to talking about love . 

I like this conversation better .

Very nice post . 

1 hour ago, rillo said:

I'm hoping it stays south of me, forecast models got it making a 90 degree turn, which I don't buy, but I'm prepared. 

I'm praying your right & thought the same exact thing about that 90 degree about face? This models are still guesses, nature does whatever it pleases.

33 minutes ago, Jetster said:

nature does whatever it pleases.

Agreed, these things can wobble at any moment, but a 90 degree pivot seems really suspect. South Florida dodged a bullet last year with Matthew and other hurricanes have made a turn in the past so who knows, but it just seems like more fear mongering.

Archived