Maxman

Hurricane Irma - Part Two

32 minutes ago, DMan77 said:

Just spoke to a friend of mine in the US Virgin islands... It's panic down there. A meteorologist told people to evacuate as far inland as they could, and if they decide to stay near the coast or on their boats to please write their social security information on their arms... He was being a bit dramatic but I guess people have a tendency to try and ride it out, and they're trying to tell people this is not the storm to do that with.

Man I'm nervous... 185MPH winds? Unheard of. 

i can't imagine why someone would want to stay on their boat.

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
1 hour ago, gEYno said:

If you've had positive experiences taking young children on a 24-hour flight, I'd love to hear about it!

I never did 24 hr flights with or without kids.

My kids are grown now but we  enjoyed trips by breaking them into segments.

Surely Mr Deep pockets can layover in SanDiego and Hi

This thing is a beast!!! Everyone be safe!

Im predicting a turn north once it gets out of the mountains ranges in PR-Dominican-Cuba.  Probably sweep some off the coast of Florida and hit again in the Carolina's.  

3 minutes ago, JiF said:

Im predicting a turn north once it gets out of the mountains ranges in PR-Dominican-Cuba.  Probably sweep some off the coast of Florida and hit again in the Carolina's.  

Already have to start paying attention to the water temps off the coasts... It could gain steam again as it heads north if it doesn't hit inland enough. 

18 minutes ago, JiF said:

That seems to be the plan right now according to the latest models.  Of course it might change quickly

17 hours ago, Jetster said:

Just built a new home in Beaufort SC & praying right now. Up in NH now where we live in the northeast the news I'm seeing is freaking me out a bit. Mathew hit the area really hard & that was a category 1. 

Sorry to hear Jetster.  We were supposed to go to Hilton Head this weekend and we just canceled.  I'll say a prayer that it goes out so sea for you. 

1 hour ago, darook said:

Sorry to hear Jetster.  We were supposed to go to Hilton Head this weekend and we just canceled.  I'll say a prayer that it goes out so sea for you. 

Thanks, can't believe 2 hurricanes after I built my future retirement home. they've evacuated once in 60 years, now twice within 1 year. 

Luckily I know a great local guy who's putting up the metal shutters on Saturday. He's gonna get a nice bonus from me I can tell you that!

7 hours ago, New York Mick said:

It wouldn't be a big deal if people knew how to act. It's a sh*t show. 

+1 The panic buying causes shortages that don't have to happen..

12 minutes ago, Jetster said:

Thanks, can't believe 2 hurricanes after I built my future retirement home. they've evacuated once in 60 years, now twice within 1 year. 

Luckily I know a great local guy who's putting up the metal shutters on Saturday. He's gonna get a nice bonus from me I can tell you that!

LOL I moved to Naples in 2003 prior to me moving they hadn't been hit in 40 years Irma makes makes number 5 for me.. Smiley06.gif~c200

1 minute ago, Savage69 said:

LOL I moved to Naples in 2003 prior to me moving they hadn't been hit in 40 years Irma makes makes number 5 for me.. Smiley06.gif~c200

Ugh. The tree damage in Beaufort after Mathew was really bad. Beaufort is famous for its moss covered live oaks. Cost me $2600 to get 1 taken down. This one is 3 times as strong....yikes.

Parents just said **** it and packed the car up this AM. Man, this is nuts.

Have a buddy who drove with his family back from Disney yesterday, said from Orlando all the way to Coral Springs and not one gas station had fuel. Flights aren't even an option with the costs. Between Houston and this, I think it's becoming pretty clear that human beings need to rework the way we get other human beings out of these situations.

23 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Have a buddy who drove with his family back from Disney yesterday, said from Orlando all the way to Coral Springs and not one gas station had fuel. Flights aren't even an option with the costs. Between Houston and this, I think it's becoming pretty clear that human beings need to rework the way we get other human beings out of these situations.

It's chaos here. I'm in Orlando now waiting for my flight out. I don't know how many around here remember the odd/even days back when Carter was in office I believe, but that's what the gas lines reminded me of. Took me 20 minutes to get to the pump last night around 10pm and it was the only station nearby that had gas. People have been buying water and pocket juice like mad. 

29 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

Capitalism dictates that corporations get humans out of these situations by price-gouging them and ensuring the survival of the richest.

But I digress, I do agree with you... 

34 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

or maybe less people need to live near the coast?

jetblue is capping prices on tickets at 99 bucks..

22 hours ago, the Claw said:

The wife and I are thinking of making the move from Chicago to st Petersburg. We're carefully watching the path this storm takes. I really hope everyone will be ok. Could be a serious mess if this storm hits land as hard as they're predicting. Good luck to all our forum members in FL.

St.Pete is nice, downtown is being renovated.  I'd rather live down at the beach except for this weekend lol

gas lines are crazy and no water to be bought at the store.  They do have mich ultra though and i think thats as close as it gets.

37 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

Capitalism dictates that corporations get humans out of these situations by price-gouging them and ensuring the survival of the richest.

But I digress, I do agree with you... 

it was good to see gas prices flat across tampa last night. $2.69 so i am guessing the govt has a cap in these situations.  would be good for airlines to have that as well.  

5 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

St.Pete is nice, downtown is being renovated.  I'd rather live down at the beach except for this weekend lol

gas lines are crazy and no water to be bought at the store.  They do have mich ultra though and i think thats as close as it gets.

This is basically my first go around for a storm down here. Is the hysteria always this bad? 

19 hours ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

Good luck to them. Whichever way the storm tracks, the Keys are in for it...

I agree, florida will be impacted and the keys are first on the block. best case is it stays up the east coast.  the west side of the cane is easier than the east and the cold atlantic will not be as good as the warm gulf. I may be a bit biased as i am on the west coast.  have a safe weekend bro.

Just now, Matt39 said:

This is basically my first go around for a storm down here. Is the hysteria always this bad? 

Yeah, everyone freaks out and then the day of the storm the bands can miss you and you will be grilling and drinking a beer.  People also flip out when we get a couple of days lower than 50 degrees.  space heaters sell out every year.  Same with power generators now...

be prepared to lose power.  freeze some water bottles and jugs of water and move them into the fridge when you lose power.  Only open the fridge when necessary and quickly.

also, if you need any water bottles, my teen has about 50 half drank in her room :P 

Just now, whodeawhodat said:

Yeah, everyone freaks out and then the day of the storm the bands can miss you and you will be grilling and drinking a beer.  People also flip out when we get a couple of days lower than 50 degrees.  space heaters sell out every year.  Same with power generators now...

be prepared to lose power.  freeze some water bottles and jugs of water and move them into the fridge when you lose power.  Only open the fridge when necessary and quickly.

also, if you need any water bottles, my teen has about 50 half drank in her room :P 

Lol, hopefully I didnt come off as a dick....but we're still 4-5 days out from this thing. A lot can happen...you'd think Kim Jong had fired one that was set to arrive in less than 8 hours. I still have to drive to and from work the next two days so I'll have to fill up again. The hysteria is pretty surreal to see. Publix was nuts yesterday so I can only imagine now...

4 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

This made me laugh!  Same for my two teens! 

Stay safe everyone!

3 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Lol, hopefully I didnt come off as a dick....but we're still 4-5 days out from this thing. A lot can happen...you'd think Kim Jong had fired one that was set to arrive in less than 8 hours. I still have to drive to and from work the next two days so I'll have to fill up again. The hysteria is pretty surreal to see. Publix was nuts yesterday so I can only imagine now...

I would say it is a little worse since it is a cat 5 right now and one of the strongest ever on record so you will have your cherry popped right lol

hopefully the models are right and it will be cat 3 by the time it gets to us which is still a hell of a storm.  It is all about the band placements so we shall see.  We will feel it for sure since it has such a huge radius just see who takes it on the chin, better to be safe than sorry. 

best of luck this weekend.

17 minutes ago, whodeawhodat said:

I would say it is a little worse since it is a cat 5 right now and one of the strongest ever on record so you will have your cherry popped right lol

hopefully the models are right and it will be cat 3 by the time it gets to us which is still a hell of a storm.  It is all about the band placements so we shall see.  We will feel it for sure since it has such a huge radius just see who takes it on the chin, better to be safe than sorry. 

best of luck this weekend.

the update that just came out isn't promising but some of the weather experts here should let us know what they think.