Hurricane Irma - Part Two

Maxman

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My brother used to live near the gulf coast near Galveston - was down there visiting a few months after hurricane Ike came through - no way in he11 would I go through one of those storms.

Here's a rule to live by - don't stand in the way of natural disasters

23 minutes ago, peebag said:

My brother used to live near the gulf coast near Galveston - was down there visiting a few months after hurricane Ike came through - no way in he11 would I go through one of those storms.

Or me at the buffet.

Some good waves for the past few days but now its time to prepare.  Got the bottled waters, gas, food and the plywood.  It's a mad house out there trying to get this stuff.   Now its time to start boarding up.  Still haven't figured out if we're going to evacuate but I'm monitoring it.  Hopefully it breaks up by the time its gets up here to Jax.  Thanks to our neighbors down south for being on the front line and beating this beast down for everyone else.  Still a chance this thing could turn or possibly go into the Gulf...but better safe than sorry.

6 hours ago, batman10023 said:

i hope this is fear mongering as well.  

i do feel like the govt is much more active about letting people know and getting evacuations in place the last 5-10 years.  

there was a storm years ago where many people ignored the warnings and a lot of first responders had to rescue people. maybe outer banks

people who stay put first repsonders at risk. that's why you saw the houston telling people the first responders would not come out until it was safe

the labor day hurricane killed 400 people in the keys in 1935.  advance warning saves lives

I have been using NOAA for years, TWC is all hype all the time

6 hours ago, rillo said:

Agreed, these things can wobble at any moment, but a 90 degree pivot seems really suspect. South Florida dodged a bullet last year with Matthew and other hurricanes have made a turn in the past so who knows, but it just seems like more fear mongering.

don't you remember sandy banging a left ?

its all pressure and steering.

5 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

hopefully everything survives intact there.  such a nice island.  we have stayed at grace bay and parrot cay and both were really nice places.  where you staying/have stayed? 

Beaches resort. Going for the third time in April. We have 4 kids, 3 under the age of 15, lots of space and activities to keep them occcupied so mom and dad can relax. 

Great people too, praying for their safety.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Beaches resort. Going for the third time in April. We have 4 kids, 3 under the age of 15, lots of space and activities to keep them occcupied so mom and dad can relax. 

SAR I

Heard beaches is nice.  My friend stays there annually as well.  Not really luxury but still pretty nice.  We looked at it this past year.  Great with kids we heard.   You should go to parrot day without the kids.  It's heavenly. 

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

Heard beaches is nice.  My friend stays there annually as well.  Not really luxury but still pretty nice.  We looked at it this past year.  Great with kids we heard.   You should go to parrot day without the kids.  It's heavenly. 

Once the kids are off to college we'll go the Parrot Cay route, definitely.  Right now we're in the Atlantis/Beaches TCI/Captiva groove, all great hotels with an emphasis on activities for the kids.

SAR I

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Is it bad that I'm hoping this storm wipes out all the Zika mosquitos so I can go there?  Apparently best all-inclusive for families...

55 minutes ago, gEYno said:

Apparently best all-inclusive for families...

It is, definitely.  We've tried them all just about.  Beaches Negril, Beaches Sandy Bay, Atlantis, Captiva South Seas, Arizona Grand.....if you want the best experience for the little ones as well as some alone time with the wife, Beaches Turks & Caicos is the top of that food chain.

SAR I

8 hours ago, SAR I said:

It is, definitely.  We've tried them all just about.  Beaches Negril, Beaches Sandy Bay, Atlantis, Captiva South Seas, Arizona Grand.....if you want the best experience for the little ones as well as some alone time with the wife, Beaches Turks & Caicos is the top of that food chain.

SAR I

This is not the appropriate time or thread for your phony act. What is your problem?

I left Florida on Wednesday. I wasn't taking any chances. My friend booked a flight out for Saturday which I thought was taking too much of a risk. Sure enough JetBlue cancelled his flight on Wednesday and now he's stuck. He's only half a mile from the beach in Fort Lauderdale

On September 5, 2017 at 2:15 PM, batman10023 said:

i assume he's staying at Parrot Cay.  the two bedroom beach Villas are around $5k a night.   unless he's not really staying at a proper high end place.

Assume it's more SAD shtick. Assume he's never been outside the US. Where are the pics? He posts pics for everything else he does.

Remember his travel budget thread where he budgeted rooms for his family "in the tropics" for approx $300/week? And ignored all further questioning?

Busted as usual.

23 hours ago, peebag said:

But we can still root for the team though..:)

2 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

My brother lives on the beach in Daytona. Almost everyone in his building has left. And he's going, too.  2nd time in either two or three years they've evacuated due to a hurricane. We like it there and considered eventually moving there too. But not now. 

That sucks. My band is scheduled to play the daytona beach bandshell next saturday. Probably will get cancelled 

14 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

I have an employee trying to call out saying her family might evacuate. The only thing is I'm in Orange Beach, AL by Pensacola. Man oh man do I hate opportunists. 

The latest models have this monster trending to the west.  Don't be stunned to be seeing this bitch on Tuesday

Archived