Maxman

Hurricane Irma - Part Two

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

jetblue is capping prices on tickets at 99 bucks..

I love JetBlue......its a nice PR move but what they don't tell you is that there aren't any 99 buck flights actually available for purchase.

I feel like they made that announcement after they sold 90 percent of their seats for 400-600 bucks,,,,easy to do at that point 

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
7 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

the update that just came out isn't promising but some of the weather experts here should let us know what they think. 

i didnt mean to sound like an expert, just have some experience being in florida since 87 save for 2 years i moved back to LI.

there was a time when we would get a keg instead of gallons of water and the only thing that would scare me would be if Jim Cantore was broadcasting from out front my place.  Now I can see the value in having water on hand and keeping my cell phone charged.

2 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Wow if this track hits Miami head on this might just bury it worse then Katrina did to New Orleans!

Miami is built for it imo.  N.O. not so much being under sea level...

6 minutes ago, JOJOTOWNSELL said:

thats a sh*tty situation right there...  My mom lived 3 blocks off of miami beach when she was 10 and got hit hard by a hurricane but after it passed she walked down to the beach with the family so... why i thought that they could handle it.

4 hours ago, Lupz27 said:

Wow if this track hits Miami head on this might just bury it worse then Katrina did to New Orleans!

Drainage is much different in SoFla than NO and Houston despite some infrastructure problems recently (I think) in the Miami area. If memory serves I don't think even Andrew caused serious flooding. With Florida the concern is always the property damage, particularly the farmland, power grids, and hospitals.

1 hour ago, whodeawhodat said:

The elephant grass in WPB and Dade is nuts. One minute there's a tropical storm and the streets are drowning and then an hour later everything is dry again.

22 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The elephant grass in WPB and Dade is nuts. One minute there's a tropical storm and the streets are drowning and then an hour later everything is dry again.

yeah, i didnt want to be argumentative with @JOJOTOWNSELL since it is pretty jacked up with how miami was underwater.  I think that was more of a flash flood as i was reading the article and the water drained fairly quickly but it was deep for a bit.  When i lived in south florida we would have nasty summer storms and it would be flooded for an hour and then it was right back to drained and being humid AF. Part of the reason i moved up near tampa, feels a good 10 degrees cooler than south florida and still have the palm trees and beaches.  I still stand by by statement that there is no comparison with N.O.

2 hours ago, whodeawhodat said:

Miami is absolutely NOT built for this.  The storm surge alone can put a lot of it underwater, and most houses were built pre-Andrew and just aren't that sturdy.  Anything around the eye would be obliterated just like Andrew.

7 minutes ago, Tinstar said:

Seriously folks down Florida way and all those folks who might be in the path of this storm, do whatever you have to do to stay safe . I'm up here in Delaware and folks up here are panicking already. We could get some side effects of this storm, but you folks could get hammered . I'm praying that this storm turns out to sea and spare people any further damage . Prepare for the worst, but join me in seeking a peaceful outcome . Nawlins is rebounding, and Texas is changing the narrative about our friends and neighbors . In the mist of all this devastation, we have gone from talking about hate to talking about love . 

I like this conversation better .

Very nice post . 

I'm hoping it stays south of me, forecast models got it making a 90 degree turn, which I don't buy, but I'm prepared. 

1 hour ago, rillo said:

I'm hoping it stays south of me, forecast models got it making a 90 degree turn, which I don't buy, but I'm prepared. 

I'm praying your right & thought the same exact thing about that 90 degree about face? This models are still guesses, nature does whatever it pleases.

33 minutes ago, Jetster said:

nature does whatever it pleases.

Agreed, these things can wobble at any moment, but a 90 degree pivot seems really suspect. South Florida dodged a bullet last year with Matthew and other hurricanes have made a turn in the past so who knows, but it just seems like more fear mongering.

i hope this is fear mongering as well.  

i do feel like the govt is much more active about letting people know and getting evacuations in place the last 5-10 years.  

My brother used to live near the gulf coast near Galveston - was down there visiting a few months after hurricane Ike came through - no way in he11 would I go through one of those storms.

Here's a rule to live by - don't stand in the way of natural disasters

23 minutes ago, peebag said:

My brother used to live near the gulf coast near Galveston - was down there visiting a few months after hurricane Ike came through - no way in he11 would I go through one of those storms.

Here's a rule to live by - don't stand in the way of natural disasters

Or me at the buffet.

Some good waves for the past few days but now its time to prepare.  Got the bottled waters, gas, food and the plywood.  It's a mad house out there trying to get this stuff.   Now its time to start boarding up.  Still haven't figured out if we're going to evacuate but I'm monitoring it.  Hopefully it breaks up by the time its gets up here to Jax.  Thanks to our neighbors down south for being on the front line and beating this beast down for everyone else.  Still a chance this thing could turn or possibly go into the Gulf...but better safe than sorry.

6 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I'm off today in Tampa.

perfect beautiful day. Might go hit the beach.

got plenty of water, lots of gasoline, and tons of ammo lol

good luck to all involved. Storm damage sucks

Beer,bait and bullets hold the fort and stay safe. 

6 hours ago, batman10023 said:

i hope this is fear mongering as well.  

i do feel like the govt is much more active about letting people know and getting evacuations in place the last 5-10 years.  

there was a storm years ago where many people ignored the warnings and a lot of first responders had to rescue people. maybe outer banks

people who stay put first repsonders at risk. that's why you saw the houston telling people the first responders would not come out until it was safe

the labor day hurricane killed 400 people in the keys in 1935.  advance warning saves lives

I have been using NOAA for years, TWC is all hype all the time

6 hours ago, rillo said:

Agreed, these things can wobble at any moment, but a 90 degree pivot seems really suspect. South Florida dodged a bullet last year with Matthew and other hurricanes have made a turn in the past so who knows, but it just seems like more fear mongering.

don't you remember sandy banging a left ?

its all pressure and steering.

4 minutes ago, SAR I said:

Looks like a direct hit.  Prayers to those affected. 

SAR I

hopefully everything survives intact there.  such a nice island.  we have stayed at grace bay and parrot cay and both were really nice places.  where you staying/have stayed? 

5 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

hopefully everything survives intact there.  such a nice island.  we have stayed at grace bay and parrot cay and both were really nice places.  where you staying/have stayed? 

Beaches resort. Going for the third time in April. We have 4 kids, 3 under the age of 15, lots of space and activities to keep them occcupied so mom and dad can relax. 

Great people too, praying for their safety.

SAR I

2 hours ago, SAR I said:

Beaches resort. Going for the third time in April. We have 4 kids, 3 under the age of 15, lots of space and activities to keep them occcupied so mom and dad can relax. 

SAR I

Heard beaches is nice.  My friend stays there annually as well.  Not really luxury but still pretty nice.  We looked at it this past year.  Great with kids we heard.   You should go to parrot day without the kids.  It's heavenly. 

1 hour ago, batman10023 said:

Heard beaches is nice.  My friend stays there annually as well.  Not really luxury but still pretty nice.  We looked at it this past year.  Great with kids we heard.   You should go to parrot day without the kids.  It's heavenly. 

Once the kids are off to college we'll go the Parrot Cay route, definitely.  Right now we're in the Atlantis/Beaches TCI/Captiva groove, all great hotels with an emphasis on activities for the kids.

SAR I

5 hours ago, SAR I said:

SAR I

Is it bad that I'm hoping this storm wipes out all the Zika mosquitos so I can go there?  Apparently best all-inclusive for families...