Maxman

Hurricane Irma - Part Two

Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.
Registered members do not see this ad. Click here to create your free account today.

While Jet9 won't win any sensitivity awards he's getting a bit of a bum rap.  He said the girl was trying to call in today which is a bit of a reach.  And he's right...  majority of millennials or younger have a pretty terrible work ethic.  Most watch youtube and play with their phones 60% of the day.  

28 minutes ago, Pac said:

While Jet9 won't win any sensitivity awards he's getting a bit of a bum rap.  He said the girl was trying to call in today which is a bit of a reach.  And he's right...  majority of millennials or younger have a pretty terrible work ethic.  Most watch youtube and play with their phones 60% of the day.  

As opposed to those sturdy Gen-Y farmhands who built this nation while simultaneously trying to outwit Klacko in an internet chat room game that works suspiciously like Spin the Bottle, but is played alone, sitting in a dark room, waiting for a pizza that you'll try to pay for with expired coupons that you xeroxed at the library.

In south Florida and have new neighbors just 2weeks ago. Wife got panicked and the decided to go to friends in St Pete, by latest tack they may have fled into the tenth of the storm

Oh boy

She must me new to Florida.  Most people who have been here for awhile know that if your going to flee a storm, you have to get out of state.  The models can change in one hour from one coast to the other.  This storm has done it twice.  

On 9/5/2017 at 4:53 PM, SAR I said:

Please Lord, spare Turks and Caicos so that our luxury resort hotel remains in unblemished condition for our vacation in April.

SAR I

April is for the poor.

8 minutes ago, Apache 51 said:

April is for the poor.

New Jersey has a unique vacation week in April, the only state in the country to get this particular week off.  It's the absolute best time and best weather to get to the Caribbean and there are no crowds, we practically have the place to ourselves.

We vacation in February as well.  "Poor".  Yup.

SAR I

1 hour ago, SAR I said:

New Jersey has a unique vacation week in April, the only state in the country to get this particular week off.  It's the absolute best time and best weather to get to the Caribbean and there are no crowds, we practically have the place to ourselves.

We vacation in February as well.  "Poor".  Yup.

SAR I

SAR, I've got a biker bar that you would absolutely love.  Place is right off a Hollywood movie set.  Semi open air, usually an OK "Country Rock" band playing. Reasonably priced beer, and perhaps the best cheese burger on the planet, at a cheap price. Crowd really looks rough. Any Late Sunday afternoon They'll be at least 200 Harley's in the parking lot.  The dump is about a block off an absolutely beautiful beach. 

Interesting thing  is, the riders of these Hogs are mostly accountants, lawyers, cops, corporation executives, both working and retried, insurance salesman, upper middle income cube players down here on vacation, and a couple of 10%ers just to spice the place up.  The average cost of those scoots in the parking lot is probably $40,000.

People have the money to live a fantasy.  Hell, why not?  I'm telling ya, you'll love the place. :)

3 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Had a similar situation during Hurricane Sandy. The despicable losers that work for me wanted to leave early to protect their children or some sh*t, so I took one of the interns out to the company fountain and drowned him in front of everyone. After he stopped twitching, I looked my staff in the eye and said, simply, "Loyalty." 

I find it hard to believe anyone would hire you for a job that has you in charge of other people. The world is scarier than I even knew.

Had a similar situation during Hurricane Sandy. The despicable losers that work for me wanted to leave early to protect their children or some sh*t, so I took one of the interns out to the company fountain and drowned him in front of everyone. After he stopped twitching, I looked my staff in the eye and said, simply, "Loyalty." 

You might be the only English major who has people working for him.  

Unless your employees main job is to say "would you like fries with that"

4 hours ago, flgreen said:

Got to disagree.  I have a few employees that have been with me for over 20 years.  Made me lots of money.  When they came in on Wed. asking to go home to prepare , I really didn't want to do it, I knew what the back lash from my clients would be.  Then I thought I wouldn't have any clients if it wasn't for their loyalty.

said screw it.  I'll deal with the clients on Monday.

What type of clients won't understand. Crazy. 

Never faced anything like this in my life.  Lots of scared people... and most of those that aren't, really don't seem to grasp what is coming.

Spending hours/days prepping, conversation after conversation going over worst case scenarios, watching weather channels most of the day...

6 hours ago, Pac said:

Thank you. I guess I should also mention that a former Brooklynite actually recruited me from BK  to come down here. They posted ads on Craigslist NY, DC, Boston, Philly, Atlanta, and Miami. But yeah, I'M the a$$hole. 

praying for all you who are in fla. during this monster hurricane.  Lived there for 17 yrs. and went thru my share of them.  There were none that were easy but be smart and you would be ok

GOOD LUCK to all & Gods protection to all

25 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Never faced anything like this in my life.  Lots of scared people... and most of those that aren't, really don't seem to grasp what is coming.

Spending hours/days prepping, conversation after conversation going over worst case scenarios, watching weather channels most of the day...

Do grasp the gravity of the situation just comfortable with the preparation and will deal with the resulting outcome. Have always been one that deals with the known no time or desire to be overly concerned with the unknown.

6 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Aways with the hyperbole, Benigno. 

8 hours ago, RSJ said:

My parents are in Naples, Florida. They spend most of the year down there. Hoping and praying everyone is safe down there.

I'm in Naples also and decided to go to my sisters for the storm even though I can't stand my brother-in-law.. Hopefully my last words aren't look mom I can fly..:)

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

As opposed to those sturdy Gen-Y farmhands who built this nation while simultaneously trying to outwit Klacko in an internet chat room game that works suspiciously like Spin the Bottle, but is played alone, sitting in a dark room, waiting for a pizza that you'll try to pay for with expired coupons that you xeroxed at the library.

Shows ingenuity that the current generation doesn't have. They're just as lazy but at least they try to hide it. 

21 hours ago, Rangers9 said:

My brother lives on the beach in Daytona. Almost everyone in his building has left. And he's going, too.  2nd time in either two or three years they've evacuated due to a hurricane. We like it there and considered eventually moving there too. But not now. 

We've lived in Florida for 30 years, I've only evacuated once, last year for Mathew and when we got back, we never even lost power and probably shouldn't have left and I live on the beach in Jax. 

Im not saying to take these things lightly but evacuating isn't common. 

17 hours ago, Jet9 said:

I have an employee trying to call out saying her family might evacuate. The only thing is I'm in Orange Beach, AL by Pensacola. Man oh man do I hate opportunists. 

Meh, people freak out.  The media doesn't help. Funny enough, we had a couple from Miami staying here and now they're in Orange Beach with family.   

10 hours ago, batman10023 said:

What type of clients won't understand. Crazy. 

In fairness to them, a lot of them have 1.000's of $ at stake.  In areas that the storm blacks out, it will cause weeks of paralysis.  If they don't get their work done now, they might not get it for a month if we get hit hard.  They expected us to work until today, then get our families, and homes safe today in high winds and  rain.  We usually do, but when all the models on Wed.  showed a landfall right here at 180MPH, I closed

Right now it looks like we will get hurricane force winds, that will knock the lights out, but God willing we won't take a direct hit.  The storm is currently a Cat 3-4.  Big storm and the poor people in the town that it makes landfall in are going to take a big shot.  (Pray for @savage69) It seems like it is going to come up the middle of the state, and pass just to the west of the lake.  Over 2,000 people drowned there in 1928 from a similar hurricane.  Crossing land hopefully will also weaken it. 

My area appears to be spared from the worst of it.  My prayers go out to the people in it's direct path.

21 minutes ago, JiF said:

We've lived in Florida for 30 years, I've only evacuated once, last year for Mathew and when we got back, we never even lost power and probably shouldn't have left and I live on the beach in Jax. 

Im not saying to take these things lightly but evacuating isn't common. 

I've also been here over 30 years and I've never evacuated.   When this storm was blowing at 180 MPH I wanted to fly out to my sisters in Vegas.  Wife wouldn't do it.  

I did some work in New Orleans after Katrina.  I strongly advise anyone who's in Irma's direct path, on the beach near land fall, or in a flood zone to get out of town.  Things always seem to happen to other people...........until they happen to you.

10 hours ago, RSJ said:

My parents are in Naples, Florida. They spend most of the year down there. Hoping and praying everyone is safe down there.

Tell them to get off the coast, and they should be fine.  Naples looks like it's going to take a big shot

I know several people on here live in the area, so just a heads up, I just got a text from a fishing buddy who works there, FPL is going to shut down the St Lucie power plant sometime during the day, so any one who gets service from there will be in the dark before the storm gets here