Bowles can't name backup QB

AFJF

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

One is probably just a backup JAG. 

The other should be trying out as a backup in the CFL... for one of the weaker teams.  He holds the ball waaayyy to long for the Arena League.

Very few players on this year's offense will be here next year

You guys need to get over Petty

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

"I think he's done a pretty good job overall"

"There's still a lot of potential and a lot of future starters: Leo, Smith, Mauldin, Lee, Hackenberg, Shell, Burris, and absolute steals like Simon and Peake." (Never mind that Leo is the only one any team wants, beyond maybe 3rd string depth and camp fodder).

@gEYno put it best: anyone who thinks Todd Bowles is the reason the Jets are an unprecedented 1000:1 odds to win the SB needs to think about their stance harder.

Or something like that. He made it little short on the commentary length for my taste, but whatever.

That guy sounds very wise.  And concise.

re: Macc - I remember being told how Deon Simon was proof I was unfounded in my criticism.

2 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Not defending Hackenturd or Toilet Bowles but the overrating of Bryce Petty based on 2 preseason games facing third stringers is mind-boggling.

Sorry but that is who the coaching staff put him in against.  

And couple that with reports from players on the team currently that Petty is excellent with the starters and you have statements like this being an utter disgrace. 

Who gives a sh*t?  I mean really.  It seems more strange to me the over-obsession regarding which guy won't play this week, of all things.  They all suck and they'll all play eventually this year.  We already know which one is playing this week, I don't really gave a crap which one won't play more or less than the other won't play.

33 minutes ago, Larz said:

One measure of success for this season and next off season is moving on from all 3 QBs on this roster.

You can get a petty or Hack literally every year in the 5th round of the draft.

Can we add Kaaya to the practice squad?

There should be at least 1 and hopefully 2 new QBs on the roster next year. 

I think the better of Hack or Petty should be the backup/spot warmer for the new draft pick.

22 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

And couple that with reports from players on the team currently that Petty is excellent with the starters and you have statements like this being an utter disgrace. 

Being liked is meaningless. 

24 minutes ago, Charlie Brown said:

I think they like Petty, realize his injury history, and are spotting him some time to get better.

If you are in the playoffs you play right away on a sprained knee.  Otherwise I think you want it to heal. 

Petty is better off getting a good run mid-season than playing now.

If McCown gets hurt and Hack has go to in, only good can come from it-either he is good, or we lose and are on our way to the QB of choice. 

2 hours ago, rangerous said:

it could be petty is still nursing his bum knee. the object of this is to keep the opponents guessing. i know that's tough for some to comprehend but i'll be if you ask the bellichicken if brady is going to be starting on sunday he'd give you a pretty inane answer.

There is no gamesmanship for a backup QB. 

Just now, varjet said:

I think the better of Hack or Petty should be the backup/spot warmer for the new draft pick.

I could live with Hack getting another year if the offensive coaches survive.

I would prefer we finally move onto the 2 QB model and ditch the 2 backup sh*t

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Who gives a sh*t?  I mean really.  It seems more strange to me the over-obsession regarding which guy won't play this week, of all things.  They all suck and they'll all play eventually this year.  We already know which one is playing this week, I don't really gave a crap which one won't play more or less than the other won't play.

The people who need to convince themselves that this debacle is all Todd Bowles fault, that's who gives a sh*t.

1 hour ago, varjet said:

Kayaa signed with the Panthers so that would be a no!

A few things I've read suggest that Petty is, indeed, the backup in all but name.  It sounds like, if I allow my darker nature to emerge, Bowles is doing this only to coddle Hack's psyche.  If that's the case, then they both need to be removed.  Hack because if he's too fragile to handle losing the backup job when he clearly didn't play well enough to win it then he can't possibly survive as a starter.  And Bowles because if he's willing to play these kind of games to protect a marginal player's ego, then he's not HC material.  

Honestly, this pre-season has been the worst sh*t-show I have ever seen with this team, and that's saying a lot.

5 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

Bryce Petty should be the STARTER Todd Blowes is a clueless moron who wouldn't be coaching in the NFL if not for the NY Jets. 

Hackenberg wouldn't be in the NFL either if not for the NY Jets. 

LOL @ this...so true though...

Can someone please explain what the purpose of last season was regarding Hack? What I mean is, what was the point of keeping this kid in a football coma for an entire season, then expecting him to magically win a starting job in a PS with a $hit OL under a new OC, all after having never even gotten practice reps through all of last season? 

I keep saying this, don't ever forget the disgusting job this HC did here last season. He coaches like Rich Kotite, but thinks and talks to the media like he is Bill Bellichick. I will be very happy when he is no longer the HC of the NYJ.

IMO a couple of things are going on here.

1) Bowles is doing his best Tuna impression.  Just dismissing the media.  he doesn't have anywhere enough personalty to pull it off

2) Again IMO, Macc, and Woody have a wink, wink agreement That Macc has 2 years to straighten this mess out.  Bowles isn't an insider on the deal.  There's been a few roster moves that it didn't appear that Bowles had any say in.  The Harris, and Decker cuts.  It was obvious that Bowles didn't even know the cuts were about to take place.  He had to face the media a few mins after practice.  There was a 45 min. delay until he came out.  He made it clear he wasn't all in with the cuts.

The Richardson presser was weird also.  Bowles when out of his way to talk about what great friends he and Richardson were, and how their friendship would go on way  past their football careers.  Have a big feeling Todd wasn't all in on trading Richardson..

Think Bowles in the same boat Rex was.

1) Bowles is doing his best Tuna impression.  Just dismissing the media.  he doesn't have anywhere enough personalty to pull it off

2) Again IMO, Macc, and Woody have a wink, wink agreement That Macc has 2 years to straighten this mess out.  Bowles isn't an insider on the deal.  There's been a few roster moves that it didn't appear that Bowles had any say in.  The Harris, and Decker cuts.  It was obvious that Bowles didn't even know the cuts were about to take place.  He had to face the media a few mins after practice.  There was a 45 min. delay until he came out.  He made it clear he wasn't all in with the cuts.

The Richardson presser was weird also.  Bowles when out of his way to talk about what great friends he and Richardson were, and how their friendship would go on way  past their football careers.  Have a big feeling Todd wasn't all in on trading Richardson..

7 minutes ago, flgreen said:

If that is true (and I have no idea), wouldn't Bowles want to play Petty (4th) over Hack (2nd) to make Macc look bad?

40 minutes ago, nycdan said:

A few things I've read suggest that Petty is, indeed, the backup in all but name.  It sounds like, if I allow my darker nature to emerge, Bowles is doing this only to coddle Hack's psyche.  If that's the case, then they both need to be removed.  Hack because if he's too fragile to handle losing the backup job when he clearly didn't play well enough to win it then he can't possibly survive as a starter.  And Bowles because if he's willing to play these kind of games to protect a marginal player's ego, then he's not HC material.  

Honestly, this pre-season has been the worst sh*t-show I have ever seen with this team, and that's saying a lot.

This preseason isn't even the worst one in recent memory.

IK breaking Geno's jaw was far worse. Sheldon telling the media that all my troubles are behind me and then the 140mph story breaks 20 minutes later, that was far worse. 

6 minutes ago, Maxman said:

This preseason isn't even the worst one in recent memory.

IK breaking Geno's jaw was far worse. Sheldon telling the media that all my troubles are behind me and then the 140mph story breaks 20 minutes later, that was far worse. 

You and I have very different opinions on those episodes.  The first was a net positive for the team.  The second was so entertaining that it overrode the negative impact on the team.  

Yes, it's all about the circus, but there is no positive aspect to this one.  It's just...sad.

20 minutes ago, Maxman said:

If that is true (and I have no idea), wouldn't Bowles want to play Petty (4th) over Hack (2nd) to make Macc look bad?

Maxx, that was an IMO post.  I'm just trying to make some kind of sense out of very bizarre behavior.  I actually have no real idea either.

If Todd were to start Petty, and Petty was a hit.  No more talk about a tank, he's still Macc's draft pick.  If the Jets went 9-7 with Petty as QB, and he looked good, nobody would care about Hack next off-season. Hack is a 2nd round pick, not the second pick in the draft.  Macc would be exec of the year again.  A real genius for finding that kind of talent in the 4th round.  Hack is an after-thought.

If Todd is on a revenge kick, best thing to do is don't give either of his picks a chance.  

Yes, the revenge factor is very unlikely.   I just think Bowles is the fall guy here this season.     Seems to be doing a good job of it   

People are getting really creative in their conspiracies regarding the job security of Mac and Bowles. In my opinion, both are safe to see through this rebuild. Maybe a senior guy is brought in to oversee both of them, similar to what Tom Coughlin is doing in Jacksonville.

I think the only way they don't survive is if a big time coach becomes available. Something along the lines of the Parcells hire in '97. Think Harbaugh or Gruden.

Archived